Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm still kind of worried about Kojima's Xbox game that he's working with Jordan Peele on. It's so crazy everybody but Microsoft said no. I'm expecting some kind of At the Mouth of Madness scenario where it drives players insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lammasu posted:

I'm still kind of worried about Kojima's Xbox game that he's working with Jordan Peele on. It's so crazy everybody but Microsoft said no. I'm expecting some kind of At the Mouth of Madness scenario where it drives players insane.

Maybe it just drives Microsoft insane, and everyone wins.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
With all the money they've spent, you'd think they'd be a bit more ambitious. It has a very generic human sci-fi vibe. Where are the weird aliens, orbital structures, domes, weird planets etc?

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Designing aliens takes away time and money from designing spaceship jpegs.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

pisshead posted:

With all the money they've spent, you'd think they'd be a bit more ambitious. It has a very generic human sci-fi vibe. Where are the weird aliens, orbital structures, domes, weird planets etc?

I want to once again remind everyone that Star Citizen has no fuckable aliens.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Does it have ANY aliens?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

akkristor posted:

Does it have ANY aliens?

Have you seen the audience shots at the citizen cons? :raise:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

akkristor posted:

Does it have ANY aliens?

I think the humans are supposed to be fighting some alien empire, but CIG can't be bothered to design them, their ships, or any aspect of their culture and no one seems to think this is strange.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TuxedoOrca posted:

I think the humans are supposed to be fighting some alien empire, but CIG can't be bothered to design them, their ships, or any aspect of their culture and no one seems to think this is strange.

Clearly that is incorrect

Someone please insert that cockpit design from 10 years ago with the two aliens butt to mouth driving the space plane

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh. they've designed them alright.

One is a pathetically flat racial stereotype of the Chinese, shock-full of good old 19th-century orientalism… but in space!
Another is a confused amalgam of various Semitic stereotypes shock-full of good old 12th-century stories of barbarism, greed, nomadic and clannish lifestyles and general backwardness… but in space!
A third is a type of unevolved bird that the humans hunted to extinction. But, you know, in space.
And finally, there are the space barbarians, preying like the vandals of old on the noble (human) space empire. But IN SPAAAACE!

No-one thinks this is strange either. And that's probably even more worrisome.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of Star Citizen lore is they named their space turtle race after a city in China, Xi'an.

Imagine a space game being developed in Korea and one of the alien races is named New York.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Oh boy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Popete posted:

My favorite part of Star Citizen lore is they named their space turtle race after a city in China, Xi'an.

Imagine a space game being developed in Korea and one of the alien races is named New York.

…and then “inventing” an alien language for them that's essentially wikipedia-style Simple English, but written in comic sans. In space.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Tippis posted:

Oh. they've designed them alright.

One is a pathetically flat racial stereotype of the Chinese, shock-full of good old 19th-century orientalism… but in space!
Another is a confused amalgam of various Semitic stereotypes shock-full of good old 12th-century stories of barbarism, greed, nomadic and clannish lifestyles and general backwardness… but in space!
A third is a type of unevolved bird that the humans hunted to extinction. But, you know, in space.
And finally, there are the space barbarians, preying like the vandals of old on the noble (human) space empire. But IN SPAAAACE!

No-one thinks this is strange either. And that's probably even more worrisome.

But enough about Star Trek...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pisshead posted:

Judging by GlassDoor reviews from previous employees, the team working on Star Citizen is filled with inexperienced staff, and bad management. There's no good vision, and a lack of direction. Everyone on the team is brand new, this is their first game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/elk2...1d683cdc00b#t=0

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Cat's expression says, I think I lost one of my lives.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

Judging by GlassDoor reviews from previous employees, the team working on Star Citizen is filled with inexperienced staff, and bad management. There's no good vision, and a lack of direction. Everyone on the team is brand new, this is their first game.

That's no problem when there is management that has been making games for 30 years.

Made games 30 years ago to be precise but that just gives them a unique perspective on what games should be, untainted by any developments since 1997 which in the end all just made games worse.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They certainly learned about cutting the game apart piece by piece and selling it to idiots as an investment

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Popete posted:

Yes, important to note that it's not just "a city" but the capital of a province with a population of 13 million and home to the extremely well-known Terracotta Army.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
The official narrative is that aliens are exclusively in SQ42, then will be ported over to Star Citizen

But the reason we saw so little of them so far is, uh.... spoilers? Most likely they look like poo poo and CI~G are taking their time to polish that poo poo well

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My prediction is that the aliens will be an allegory for gay people. The ultra conservative SC community hates LGBT and wokeness more than anything and the concept art of the alien ship had the pilots basically eating rear end.

CIG has been riling up the hate by putting up pride content that's like throwing meat into a piranha pool every year, so they will be hyped when the reveal happens.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Popete posted:

Imagine a space game being developed in Korea and one of the alien races is named New York Texans.

Ftfy since it actually works in this context.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

the last time we saw any glimpse of their 'aliens' was some janky rear end render of the alien firing their alien handgun i think?

and that was maybe 3-4 years ago now

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I like to imagine there are a few artists tucked away in the corner of an office, forgotten by everything and everyone at CIG except for their KPI reports.

They were hired to make models of aliens, so they do. For a decade they've been churning out dozens of models a week. A thousand variations on the same few t-posing aliens. Chris used to come by each week to see the latest designs, yeah one feature or another, probably approve a model, but he's visiting less and less often; it's been longs now since they saw him.

Who is their boss? They don't know. There was a guy there before them. He told them what to do when they arrived, but he wasn't really their boss. They had performance reviews with pretty much every senior staff member over the years, but it feels like they are filling in for someone who is having the day off: a nice chat, letting them know what their raise will be and wishing them all the best for the next year.

The only link to the rest of the world is the monthly KPI tracking file. It's on the shared folder system, and an automated email gets sent to all of them on the first Monday of the month to fill it in with last month's performance ratio. So they do. The target hasn't changed in years, nor the task description. Someone must look at the file because other lines have changed, been added and removed. But not theirs. They will continue making models.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Shazback posted:

I like to imagine there are a few artists tucked away in the corner of an office, forgotten by everything and everyone at CIG except for their KPI reports.

They were hired to make models of aliens, so they do. For a decade they've been churning out dozens of models a week. A thousand variations on the same few t-posing aliens. Chris used to come by each week to see the latest designs, yeah one feature or another, probably approve a model, but he's visiting less and less often; it's been longs now since they saw him.

Who is their boss? They don't know. There was a guy there before them. He told them what to do when they arrived, but he wasn't really their boss. They had performance reviews with pretty much every senior staff member over the years, but it feels like they are filling in for someone who is having the day off: a nice chat, letting them know what their raise will be and wishing them all the best for the next year.

The only link to the rest of the world is the monthly KPI tracking file. It's on the shared folder system, and an automated email gets sent to all of them on the first Monday of the month to fill it in with last month's performance ratio. So they do. The target hasn't changed in years, nor the task description. Someone must look at the file because other lines have changed, been added and removed. But not theirs. They will continue making models.

That's just the plot to Anderson tower in Cloudpunk. You idea-stealing hack! :colbert:

…which, granted, makes it a perfect fit CI¬G.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

They showed some work with the aliens and their spears more recently than that

I mean i hope theyve been working on them they're the antagonists of S42. Well. On paper. Judging by the videos seems like you spend most of your time loving around with pirates

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Popete posted:

I've seen enough Josh Hayes videos and seen enough shovelware app game ads that I can absolutely believe this has happened just FYI.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I mean i hope theyve been working on them they're the antagonists of S42. Well. On paper. Judging by the videos seems like you spend most of your time loving around with pirates

Pirates? What kind of entitled Starfield-playing casual thought process makes you immediately jump to pirates. First you need to spend ten weeks real time in Citizen Boot Camp, which mostly consists of footlocker management and carefully handling your poop meter.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

I loved Death Stranding but does anyone actually understand what happened in that game's storyline?

I just ignored all that stuff and chose to be excited about running around with boxes on my back, scaling mountains for no good reason at all.

I didn’t really get most of the details, just the broad strokes about connection and what not. Idk I wasn’t fan of the gameplay so I didn’t really stick with it like I did the MGS games.

As a storyteller Kojima is a high class hack. He hits you with a ton of interesting fragments of a story, character and themes, but none of it actually forms a coherent narrative. At first you question if he’s too smart for you, but once you figure out his bag of tricks you realize it’s the opposite.

He’s also still hung up on the tired notion that games should be more like movies (the superior medium). So the incoherent narrative gets dumped on you in interminable hour after hour of overwrought cutscenes.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 28, 2024

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They showed some work with the aliens and their spears more recently than that

I first read that as "loving around with plates" and got very confused. I just couldn't believe that Chris would let players experience the glory of the Mess Hall Scene early in the game, before they've really earned it?

Pirates, on the other hand, I can believe. I mean, sure, the cardboard targets in the RE4 remake's shooting gallery minigame have more realistic AI than anything we've seen in Star Citizen, but backers are apparently fine with that; the last thing they want in the game they don't really want to play is gameplay.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

That loving mess hall scene, man. If this whole project goes under before we see this God drat mess hall drama unfold, I am going to poo poo a gasket.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
The only reason they haven't released the game yet is it's too good. Test players spend days on end admiring the procedural omelet in the mess hall, form bonds so deep with other flight academy students that they have to undergo weeks of counselling after each mission to cope with their loss, and enjoy waiting in line for the train so much they are refusing to leave their desk even for the most basic biological needs.

Thank you Chris Roberts for not releasing such a brilliant game and saving humanity!

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023
So VR Golglot (sp? The guy who makes videos documenting various BS said by CIG) made a few post over on Frontier's forum about SC. Allegedly, he has the inside scoop from a CIG dev. Anyway, word is that SC 1.0 has a Q1 2025 deadline...which does like up with the financials. One of the rumors is it's only going to have 5 systems.

Now, assuming he's still alive...can anyone imagine Piss Cat's reaction if SC does hit 1.0 and releases with virtually nothing he has ever claimed would be in? Like I'm torn between it breaking his brain completely and him just abandoning posting, too jaded to go on....or that he'll double down and claim everything is still happening.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shazback posted:

The only reason they haven't released the game yet is it's too good. Test players spend days on end admiring the procedural omelet in the mess hall, form bonds so deep with other flight academy students that they have to undergo weeks of counselling after each mission to cope with their loss, and enjoy waiting in line for the train so much they are refusing to leave their desk even for the most basic biological needs.

I've heard at the moment their main problem there having at the moment is how to make the unreleased version of the game less good as they've lost too many testers when they stopped eating and sleeping due that taking to much time away from playing. It has something wild like 95% mortality rate, Chris says they can't release it until that at least get that to under 50%. For reference Blizzards internal stats show even WOW only had a 0.5% at it's worst.

Gerrund_ing posted:

Now, assuming he's still alive...can anyone imagine Piss Cat's reaction if SC does hit 1.0 and releases with virtually nothing he has ever claimed would be in? Like I'm torn between it breaking his brain completely and him just abandoning posting, too jaded to go on....or that he'll double down and claim everything is still happening.

Oh no doubt he will go straight to "1.0 is only a start, it's an ongoing project!!!".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Time_pants posted:

That loving mess hall scene, man. If this whole project goes under before we see this God drat mess hall drama unfold, I am going to poo poo a gasket.

Days before the release of SQ42 humanity is destroyed. Thousands of years later, aliens visit a flooded planet and descend on Manchester.

The only goal to bring the Mess Hall scene to life.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

colonelwest posted:

He’s also still hung up on the tired notion that games should be more like movies (the superior medium). So the incoherent narrative gets dumped on you in interminable hour after hour of overwrought cutscenes.

Kojima is...Chris Roberts? It's all coming together.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

Kojima is...Chris Roberts? It's all coming together.

Kojima is Chris Roberts if Chris Roberts had less of an ego, knew how to balance detail against overall scope, and had any relevant experience with game development.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Kojima also creates compelling universes, characters (with a fair few misses), and plotlines. Would I pay to watch a Kojima film? Probably not unless someone is reining him in. But the MGS games (and P.T, IDK about death stranding) have some genuinely good environmental/indirect storytelling. Information is often dumped on you like a brick, but on occasion it gets dripped out through conversations in a quite natural way, so that particularly attentive players can anticipate some twists. And the twists are entertaining, raising pop/pseudo philosophical, geopolitical and societal questions.

Crobbo made one pretty good story with Wing Commander (by all accounts, I haven't played it), but since then it seems he has barely done anything story wise, and the little he has done wasn't great... Or was great for the wrong reasons (the Wing Commander film). Star Citizen is the most bland thing imaginable so far - Kojima would go wild with a neo-Roman empire IN SPAAAACE to put all the craze sci-fi ideas he's read since he was a kid into it. Sentient AIs cloning politicians and controlling them like puppets to gain power, while actually being manipulated by a secret organisation that has developed information time travel and is using it to guide humanity from thousands of years in the future, opposed by violent retrothugs who want to crack the planet in half to destroy the magnetosphere and purge all electronics with the mother of all EMPs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

there was an extremely mid book i read where there were literal space romans who had been hiding as a hidden illuminati cult on earth and once space travel was perfected they hosed off and cloned their perfect space rome into existence. they were smirking bad guys who were still only the backdrop for the plot of fighting giant space amoebas.

what im saying is that its *not hard* the crobbler just sucks