Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Shazback posted:

(and P.T, IDK about death stranding)

Death Stranding gives you tiny flecks of plot here and there, in interminable cutscenes, with a massive plot dump right at the end to try and tie things together. It still misses a bunch of questions that I had when I finished playing. And yet, it was honestly a ton of fun to play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shazback posted:

Star Citizen is the most bland thing imaginable so far - Kojima would go wild with a neo-Roman empire IN SPAAAACE to put all the craze sci-fi ideas he's read since he was a kid into it.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Kojima's story telling and settings, I would always take over the incredibly generic dullness of stuff like Star Citizen and Starfield. At least Kojima isn't at all afraid of making some wild choices and seeing them through, even if sometimes it doesn't really work.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/d1cs...a44c4696ccf#t=0

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

For being a member of the cat fanciers association, one would think she'd look like she'd ever interacted with a cat before.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Xakura posted:

For being a member of the cat fanciers association, one would think she'd look like she'd ever interacted with a cat before.

i love the look of incredulity on her face, like how could this happen to me!

i tried to do something weird and this animal freaked out at it, and then slapped me, if only I could have known this might have happened and stopped at the first sign the cat didn't want me touching it anymore

welp I guess we have no way of knowing the animals intentions however

if this was Chris Roberts directing the cat there would have been a big flashing sign about it 'VANDUUL ANGRY DO NOT TOUCH'

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Shazback posted:

Kojima would go wild with a neo-Roman empire IN SPAAAACE to put all the craze sci-fi ideas he's read since he was a kid into it. Sentient AIs cloning politicians and controlling them like puppets to gain power, while actually being manipulated by a secret organisation that has developed information time travel and is using it to guide humanity from thousands of years in the future, opposed by violent retrothugs who want to crack the planet in half to destroy the magnetosphere and purge all electronics with the mother of all EMPs...

Ok but i want to see this.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Chris Roberts could never come up with something as memorable as 'Princess Beach'

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They showed some work with the aliens and their spears more recently than that

I mean i hope theyve been working on them they're the antagonists of S42. Well. On paper. Judging by the videos seems like you spend most of your time loving around with pirates

CIG are the real antagonists of S42, surely?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Gerrund_ing posted:

So VR Golglot (sp? The guy who makes videos documenting various BS said by CIG) made a few post over on Frontier's forum about SC. Allegedly, he has the inside scoop from a CIG dev. Anyway, word is that SC 1.0 has a Q1 2025 deadline...which does like up with the financials. One of the rumors is it's only going to have 5 systems.

The only way that CIG is going to poo poo out 5 systems for their 1.0 launch is if three of them are just empty systems that only have a star in them and a couple of asteroids. Unless they have a way to just autogenerate empty planets that are literally just ground and no atmosphere and then it will make E:D's lifeless empty planets seem amazing.

quote:

Now, assuming he's still alive...can anyone imagine Piss Cat's reaction if SC does hit 1.0 and releases with virtually nothing he has ever claimed would be in? Like I'm torn between it breaking his brain completely and him just abandoning posting, too jaded to go on....or that he'll double down and claim everything is still happening.

"SC would have been amazing but in the end the deep state gaming industry sabotaged it and kept Chris Roberts from realizing his vision, again."

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023

Cutedge posted:

The only way that CIG is going to poo poo out 5 systems for their 1.0 launch is if three of them are just empty systems that only have a star in them and a couple of asteroids. Unless they have a way to just autogenerate empty planets that are literally just ground and no atmosphere and then it will make E:D's lifeless empty planets seem amazing.

The rumor said that's essentially the plan--even upper management knows there's too many useless assets in Stanton apparently.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gerrund_ing posted:

So VR Golglot (sp? The guy who makes videos documenting various BS said by CIG) made a few post over on Frontier's forum about SC. Allegedly, he has the inside scoop from a CIG dev. Anyway, word is that SC 1.0 has a Q1 2025 deadline...which does like up with the financials. One of the rumors is it's only going to have 5 systems.

Now, assuming he's still alive...can anyone imagine Piss Cat's reaction if SC does hit 1.0 and releases with virtually nothing he has ever claimed would be in? Like I'm torn between it breaking his brain completely and him just abandoning posting, too jaded to go on....or that he'll double down and claim everything is still happening.

Pisscat will say it's the fault of FUD and we should have believed harder.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yes, but one of those 5 systems has a river so endless gameplay and roleplay opportunities already.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Endless opportunities! We will never have to leave a planet

*posts another screenshot of a sunset*

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

JugbandDude posted:

Endless opportunities! We will never have to leave a planet

*posts another screenshot of a sunset*

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Cutedge posted:

"SC would have been amazing but in the end the deep state gaming industry sabotaged it and kept Chris Roberts from realizing his vision, again."

Their reaction will be the same as it always is:

"You misunderstood/misinterpreted CIG".
"CIG Didn't say that"
"If they did say it, they didn't mean it. You're dumb for thinking they meant in."
"They forgave themselves for that already, move on FUDsters"
"This game is still better than every AAA game ever made."
"Those features didn't have enough fidelity"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What they obviously meant is that they will have the CONTENT of 100 star systems from any other game. Star Citizen's 5 systems has way more content than any 100 stars from Elite Dangerous......

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
That is not a high bar and is already arguably true tbh.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Sankis posted:

What they obviously meant is that they will have the CONTENT of 100 star systems from any other game. Star Citizen's 5 systems has way more content than any 100 stars from Elite Dangerous......

if elite dangerous let players build bases to some extent on the thousands of planets in the game that would be a cool improvement

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So, I just noticed Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice edition is going to be the free Epic game on Thursday.

So they managed to create, release, support, remaster, collect and give away the entire game before Star Citizen had 2 star systems.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
The release of Star Citizen shouldn't be confused with your regular game release. It is not a game, it is a tool. What happens next is members begin using that tool to build the games they want. There is no one "the" star citizen, but millions and millions of them, just like players! Of course the world is empty, it is your mission to fill it with your game! A game world containing a million games!! BUY IDRIS

...I think I passed out for a moment. What happened? Who wrote that?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
So I guess CIG pulled off a technical feat? The servers transferred a user from one server to another (allegedly)?

color me impressed, just two more of those and the game should be 10/10 and prove everyone wrong :nice:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's definitely not a thing MMOs have been doing for decades. good job cig

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sankis posted:

That's definitely not a thing MMOs have been doing for decades. good job cig

Well, those lesser MMOs have done so demonstrably, whereas SC has done it allegedly, so that's not something other MMOs do and therefore SC is clearly better.

It's all in the wording, you see.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A lot of people here don't seem to appreciate that they had to *make a company*

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

No Mods No Masters posted:

to be fair, its complicated making a pile of shell companies for tax bennies

Bofast posted:

CIG are the real antagonists of S42, surely?

That's a hell of a metagame

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sankis posted:

Source your quotes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

With the volume and speed at which CRobber creates companies, I'm pretty convinced it's nothing short of magnificently easy.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

to be fair, its complicated making a pile of shell companies for tax bennies

Let's not forget securing a large slice of the pie by convincing yourself that you need to pay yourself a lot of management fees and CEO salaries as you outsource the various services and administrative tasks to yourself that you would otherwise have to do yourself.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 1, 2024

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The Roberts' pay is what I'm most looking forward to when this all falls apart

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tippis posted:

Let's not forget securing a large slice of the pie by convincing yourself that you need to pay yourself a lot of management fees and CEO salaries as you outsource the various services and administrative tasks to yourself that you would otherwise have to do yourself.

Don't forget making a company that you sell the IP to and then lease it back to CIG.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Don't forget making a company that you sell the IP to and then lease it back to CIG.

Don't forget to pay yourself and your bros years of pre kickstarter backpay to stack upon even more presales debt you've somehow renamed to pledges.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
So they had a controlled jump from one system to another. Can it handle a large group of ships doing so at the same time, what exactly happens when you reach the max number of that shard does it poo poo you back out at the start point and make up some bullshit reason like warp fatigue?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

It will be truly amazing to watch them drop a steaming 1.0 turd and immediatley fire everyone save for a skeleton crew to “bug fix and improve gameplay” after the entire industry laughs at the end result of half a billion dollars down the drain. A few months later when the fallout dies down Roberts announces his work here is done as he rides out of town on a horse that can barely stand from the weight of all the $$$ bags on its back.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
By the way, Sandi no longer is the VP of marketing? Her bio in her pretty much inactive twitter account only mentions being a co-founder.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
She hasn't had that role since 2019. She's just a shareholder and board member now.

You can see how the major players from the beginning have been dropping slowly into the background over time. Given Chris' latest letter which sounded a lot like fading into the background the only person left is Erin and his minions.
This makes some sense since he's the only one of them who had any baseline competence, albeit restricted to like 14 Lego games but that's something eh.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Goatson posted:

The release of Star Citizen shouldn't be confused with your regular game release. It is not a game, it is a tool. What happens next is members begin using that tool to build the games they want. There is no one "the" star citizen, but millions and millions of them, just like players! Of course the world is empty, it is your mission to fill it with your game! A game world containing a million games!! BUY IDRIS

...I think I passed out for a moment. What happened? Who wrote that?

How could a wonderful thread like this one, makes me laugh more than an episode of Rick and Morty ?!?!?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lately it feels like I keep seeing all these trailers for indie games that are attempting to eat some part of sc's lunch and look 100x more fun to play than it ever will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viVi4tfh0Io

I don't keep track of any of this any more really but it does make me giggle a little to think abt cig losing the race to make a decent space game to play with your friends after all this time and money

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

She hasn't had that role since 2019. She's just a shareholder and board member now.

You can see how the major players from the beginning have been dropping slowly into the background over time. Given Chris' latest letter which sounded a lot like fading into the background the only person left is Erin and his minions.
This makes some sense since he's the only one of them who had any baseline competence, albeit restricted to like 14 Lego games but that's something eh.

In the wasteland of incompetence that is CIG, even utter mediocrity is like a shining beacon of hope.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

lately it feels like I keep seeing all these trailers for indie games that are attempting to eat some part of sc's lunch and look 100x more fun to play than it ever will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viVi4tfh0Io

I don't keep track of any of this any more really but it does make me giggle a little to think abt cig losing the race to make a decent space game to play with your friends after all this time and money

SATABALL!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Has it all fallen apart yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

mp5 posted:

Has it all fallen apart yet

It needs to come together before that can happen.