Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Yes, but how many polygons did their shells and bullets have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

:allears:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Super-Id posted:

I did get to see several t-posing npcs though, and also witness some pretty toxic responses to people complaining about bugs in chat, so I suppose I've now had the Star Citizen experience.

Yup, sounds like there is nothing else you need to experience now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I did a second run this time heading straight into space so as to not explode from getting to close to a no fly zone. I quantum drived to a space station but it spit me out pretty far away from the actual station and for whatever reason my ship wouldn't go above 87 (kmh?mps?) And I got bored and quit. Idk I just don't have any real desire to try out what little there is to do in the game cause I know it's all broken and meaningless and will just involve me making that drat Wankpod->Spacestation train ride everytime.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If, for whatever reason, I had to make a freelancer kind of game I would make it underwater (the aliens invaded and they like stuff wet, whatever) instead of in space.

You can have the same trading, pirates, etc bullshit but in a sufficiently alien setting that is not full of nothing. You also get to have ships with a "flight" model where being WWII-slow is fine. Add sufficiently advanced tech and those submarines should handle however you wish them to.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hold on, there is a Starship Troopers 2 and 3?!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

MedicineHut posted:

Hold on, there is a Starship Troopers 2 and 3?!

Yes, but they're not very good

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: Invictus 2950 Starter Pack

:v: BE INSPIRED

:lol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: So they fixed ship duplication...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Popete posted:

I did a second run this time heading straight into space so as to not explode from getting to close to a no fly zone. I quantum drived to a space station but it spit me out pretty far away from the actual station and for whatever reason my ship wouldn't go above 87 (kmh?mps?) And I got bored and quit. Idk I just don't have any real desire to try out what little there is to do in the game cause I know it's all broken and meaningless and will just involve me making that drat Wankpod->Spacestation train ride everytime.

you have to scroll up to increase your speed limit
no, they dont tell you that anywhere.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: First-time impressions and criticisms.

I backed Star Citizen years ago and after finally upgrading my computer components to a point where I thought I might be able to run the program as something other than a slide show I downloaded the client and fired it up. After about ten-fifteen hours I thought that putting my first impressions down while they were still fresh might be helpful.

Positives first in no particular order:

1. This game is pretty... like stunningly pretty.
2. The sense of scale is well done.
3. Having multiple roles a player can take is very appreciated.
4. Gotta love multiplayer and the ability to group up with people to man bigger ships, the closest thing I have seen to a "Firefly" feel.
5. While I didn't experience much of it the fact that there is a crime system that involves actual incarceration gives weight to decisions to break the law.

Now the Negatives, in no particular order:

1. This game is one of the most unintuitive ones I have ever played to the point where it almost broke me. Examples of simple things that I got stuck on include but are not limited to:
- 1. How do I take my helmet off?
- 2. How do I put on a jacket?
- 3. How do I use the system map? (Seriously, you start scrolled all the way in so it is blank! Really!)
- 4. How do I leave the apartments? (Had to use the mouse wheel to scroll the buttons on the elevator?!)
- 5. Why am I walking super slow? (Mouse wheel again... this got to the point where whenever I couldn't do something I just started messing with the wheel).
- 6. How do I recharge/get more ammo for my pistol? (Seriously... how! Never did figure this out but never engaged in FPS so it was a none issue in the end.)
- 7. Where are all the drinks I'm buying going if I don't drink them immediately? (Blackhole maybe? Nope, it turns out I need a backpack... I think. Where do I buy a backpack........)
- 8. How do I contact landing control to open the doors to the hanger? (Did it first by accident and couldn't figure it out again for about thirty minutes.)
- 9. How do I get out of a seat? (The Y button... seriously?!)
- 10. I could go on, you get the point. Nearly nothing is spelled out, shown to the player, conforms to modern gameplay norms, or is consistent with other similar actions in the game. This is a problem.
2. Why are there two menu systems... seriously, why? I need to take my helmet off so I need to... hold the F key and right-click my mouse to bring up a radial menu?! But if I want to take my jacket off I need to hit... F1 and go to my clothing options.
3. Speaking of the helmet... the helmet is a cruel trap. You die in a vacuum without a helmet which makes sense. You need to take the helmet off to eat, also makes sense. No warning if you are about to enter a vacuum without your helmet on and no obvious indicator that it is off because you ate an energy bar five minutes ago... Not making it automatic to put a helmet on is just a way to piss off a player, there is no reason not to wear a helmet if you are in your flight suit and enter a vacuum. None. Adding a step between, I want to eat a burger, and eating the burger is just annoying.
4. Navigating is hell. Why do I need to spool up my FTL drive in order to see where anything around me is? Finding a small farm on a planet after jumping in is a nightmare if you accidentally overfly it and don't want to activate your FTL drive. Why can't I pull it up its location on my HUD?! Or just have close by locations of interest automatically put on the HUD?
5. On a smaller version of point four why aren't their maps, directories, or NPCs to ask directions from in stations/cities/towns? Am I really suppose to memorize where everything is? At every station and city?! I already get map markers of my ship and drop off locations so why can't I ask to have a marker for the trade terminal or weapon shop location applied? My local mall which is just a long straight hallway has freaking directories but there aren't ones for these sprawling complexes?
6. More navigation hell with the navigation screen moving around when you are waiting to complete an FTL jump, which is the point in time when you have little to do but try and get your bearings but can't because the map screen keeps auto-scrolling.
7. You need to hold down F to interact with anything with the mouse... except when you don't because of reasons. There is no need for this, many a game lets you interact with something without having a clunky step between. Why not just hit F to interact and take the extra step out?
8. Another navigation problem... the system map needs a search function. Badly.
9. Contracts send you all over the system, not bad of course but not being able to filter contacts based on locations means you have to flip between it and the system map to figure out where everything is... if you can because point eight.
10. Also on contracts, they are deleted if you get logged out. Why? Getting kicked from the server only to then go across the system to pick up a package and find out afterward that the mission had deleted itself was almost enough to drive me to drink.
11. You can take missions that your ship cannot complete. Thanks for giving me a mission to transport a crate I can't put in my Mustang Alpha game... this after point ten did drive me to drink.
12. After finally finding a backpack I realized you don't have any inventory when not wearing it and to wear it you have to have your flight suit on... making "civilian" clothes pointless and a waste of time and effort to buy.
13. The economics of this game makes little sense. Fuel to fly across the entire system? 30 credits. Both your wings were gone and need to be replaced? 20 credits. A green jacket, 1300 credits. Because that makes sense. Ok this one is petty of me but it irked me something fierce.

TLDR; This game needs some serious streamlining of controls, more information feedback to the player, and serious rearranging of actions the player can perform to be consistent with similar actions in the game. It's very pretty though and maybe in another year or two I will come back and love it.

:negative:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

Maybe as indie gaming grows and more indie studios are able to break into the mainstream, tech like the tools in UE5 allows games to be built more cheaply, and the growth of VR changes how we experience games; maybe we’ll see start to see more novel experiences.

I think it's interesting that Indie games have kind of hit the same point that then-big game devs did in the early 90's- a few programmers, a bit of startup cash, working out of their garages to create their own personal visions. And by and large they're producing similar results- low budget but innovative games that are actually fun even if they don't take up a billion hours. It really goes to show that creativity is not the kind of thing that benefits from gigantic studios an hundreds of developers. Once you get past a certain size, you become able to build huge piles of assets but your tolerance for risk drops to almost nothing.

I wish we could lower the cost of making games to the point where they're like books, and anyone with an idea and time to use the tools can produce a masterpiece. But I think that point is vanishingly distant. In the next few decades I think we're going to see the development of a tiered economy where indies take all the risks and the successful ones get snapped up by big publishers. It doesn't give me much hope for any kind of MMO revival or anything that requires big assets and big risk, but who knows.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I loaded into the verse after 15 min of loading, walked to a train then left when it got to its destination and fell out into the icy vacuum of space

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder what the Colosseum would look like in modern times if Emperor Roberts had a hand in its design.

Did anyone make the joke that it would still be under construction?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think we're there with cheap game making tbh, stuff like gunpoint was made by an amateur with cheap tools and time. Mods are games too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Time_pants posted:

Did anyone make the joke that it would still be under construction?

Still early days.

- Nero

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Thank you all for your sacrifice, so I don't have to.

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 24, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

sebmojo posted:

I think we're there with cheap game making tbh, stuff like gunpoint was made by an amateur with cheap tools and time. Mods are games too.

What I mean by "Cheap" though is "Cheap as in books" where any fool with an idea and some basic software can produce a game, in the same way that anybody with a keyboard and google docs can write a novel on the go. Right now modding and indie games still require a deep technical knowledge of the industry, and major asset creation will take increasingly large chunks of budget as games scale up.

Essentially I'm talking about reaching a point where the assisting technologies are so powerful that a knowledge of programming or asset creation is not required, just the craft of game design. Stuff like Little Big Planet or whatever that most recent Playstation thing is, Dreams, or maybe Google's Tiltbrush, would be super-early primitive versions of what I'm getting at, except they all kind of suck. We're not even at "Adobe Dreamweaver" levels of game creation tools yet.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

sebmojo posted:

The last mod I played got banned

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'
This explains all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY3nFLbnKM8&t=2570s

"Chris is indentured to the Russian Mob."

Citizen Tech Talk may not be the podcast we need, but it is becoming more and more the podcast we deserve.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is Bumble He ok? Was it a rubbing incident with tane?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So am I able to play this game today? Or are we still in a lockdown?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

The Titanic posted:

So am I able to play this game today? Or are we still in a lockdown?

We are in hyper-sleep and kicking like a dog chasing an Idris

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

If, for whatever reason, I had to make a freelancer kind of game I would make it underwater (the aliens invaded and they like stuff wet, whatever) instead of in space.

You can have the same trading, pirates, etc bullshit but in a sufficiently alien setting that is not full of nothing. You also get to have ships with a "flight" model where being WWII-slow is fine. Add sufficiently advanced tech and those submarines should handle however you wish them to.

How convenient. You know there is an engine that can't help but consider itself underwater for large areas. Have you heard of CryEngine before?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sea Citizen!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sebmojo posted:

I loaded into the verse after 15 min of loading, walked to a train then left when it got to its destination and fell out into the icy vacuum of space

Boy if there was ever a post that should be a thread title. Too long, but probably the most accurate summary of what it's like to play Star Citizen.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:reddit: posted:

To anyone going "tHiS iS StIlL aN aLpHa" in reply to people reporting/complaining about the current state of 3.9.1 and the servers

Keep in mind that CIG is currently having a FREE FLIGHT in combination with an INGAME EXPO and a SALE, and tell me again how "tHiS iS jUsT aN aLphA, iDiOt, dOn't YoU kNoW hOw GaMe DeVeLoPmEnT wOrKs fFs?", because I for one can't think of any other game that had INGAME EXPOS and FREE PLAY WEEKS during ALPHA.

Take a step back and look at this from the perspective of anyone just checking out SC because of the free flight and the trailers and CIG's promotion and all that poo poo, and think reeeeeeally hard about how you come across when you downvote them to oblivion, belittle them and call them idiots when they complain about the absolute and utter CLUSTERFUCK that Invictus Fleet Week has been so far.

Have you lost all sense of perspective?

I'm loving ASHAMED of you guys.

:smuggo: posted:

Screaming rants like this post are not constructive for anyone. They're toxic, useless, and obnoxious at best.
Rants like this one just go to show how entitled and lazy people are these days. Vote with your wallet, not your tantrums. Give constructive feedback, don't act like a whiny child.

:( posted:

Exactly. We can’t simultaneously support these marketing gimmicks while also claiming it’s still in alpha. Never in my life have I seen ad campaigns on such a wide-scale for an alpha, their current marketing reflects the view that they care more about sales than progress atm

:colbert: posted:

My new favorite marketing "gimmick" was confirmed in the stream yesterday: a ship announced 4 years ago, being sold in limited quantities this weekend, still hasn't reached formal "concepting" by the ships team. Granted, it has little fuckin use right now...

:viggo: posted:

But they've done it almost every chance they get so I don't see how this was a new marketing gimmick lol.

:shepspends: posted:

I mean, who cares. If you enjoy it - Cool. If you don't cool. I backed this poo poo back in 2014, in the #300K range. I've booted the game maybe 6 times in all those years.... Booted it up last night and have had a great time. Bugs? Sure, but I understand that as I know the game is not finished. How this is lost of people, is beyond me.

I mean I saw someone complaining that its their first time playing and they're pissed because they have to google how to do poo poo... lol.

I agree with you that there is an ethical argument here. The trailer videos didn’t make any mention of the state of the game when it should be upfront in all marketing communication. It should be policy at CIG, it should be expected by backers. I also agree that this event was a big distraction and unless CIG can show it advanced features in some way I think it was a waste of resources.

:grin: posted:

Maybe I misunderstand you, but are you saying that the game shouldn't be treated as an alpha?

I absolutely agree that we shouldn't belittle people or call them idiots. However, I do think we should keep reminding prospective newcomers that the game isn't done and that if they expect a bug-free, stable experience, they will be disappointed.

I think the point is they're marketing it not as an alpha. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._Starts_Now.php

:sandance: posted:

They aren't marketing it as anything. They're letting you play for free for a week. If you don't I Ike it don't buy it.
Note: the word "alpha" isn't anywhere in that gamasutra link.

I know it's cliché at this point to claim that it's ELE time, but wow- a lot of dissenting voices with upvotes there... More than I was expecting.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sarsapariller posted:

I think it's interesting that Indie games have kind of hit the same point that then-big game devs did in the early 90's- a few programmers, a bit of startup cash, working out of their garages to create their own personal visions. And by and large they're producing similar results- low budget but innovative games that are actually fun even if they don't take up a billion hours. It really goes to show that creativity is not the kind of thing that benefits from gigantic studios an hundreds of developers. Once you get past a certain size, you become able to build huge piles of assets but your tolerance for risk drops to almost nothing.

I have said this so many times. The worst thing that can happen to creativity is success.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Uncle Derek is back
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1264252916505993221
He linked some funny videos in his tweet chain :classiclol:

https://i.imgur.com/H1pGF0b.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/t6hbuhb.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/u7kGLbg.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Jnu3z0R.mp4

:tif:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Star Citizen combines classic space sim gameplay with boundary-pushing visuals in a massively multiplayer setting with unprecedented fidelity. Live how you want to live: shift from cargo hauler to an outlaw, or an explorer or any other role, whenever you want. Play across multiple planets and moons, including vast cities and underground caverns, all created with a unique combination of procedural planet technology and complementary hand-crafted desig

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

How convenient. You know there is an engine that can't help but consider itself underwater for large areas. Have you heard of CryEngine before?

Well, you are the expert in this sort of things.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Note: the word "alpha" isn't anywhere in that gamasutra link.

I know it's cliché at this point to claim that it's ELE time, but wow- a lot of dissenting voices with upvotes there... More than I was expecting.

Reddit is slowly turning against CIG, I’d say that they’re about 6-12 months behind Spectrum. It’s not outright hostile yet, but the sock puppets, cultists and shills can’t really control the narrative anymore.

The whole argument over what to call Star Citizen at this point has been twisted beyond recognition. It is essentially a giant collection of art assets shoved into CryEngine with almost no proper mechanics or gameplay features. It’s hard for people to pin down because it’s very good at appearing like a game unless you dig deeper into it. “Oh they launched the big exploration ship? Well then it must have tons of gameplay to go along with it right?”

Even calling it an Alpha is a lie, because an alpha should be feature complete, but Star Citizen has virtually no features or what it has are wildly incomplete and broken placeholders for some far off future if CIG is given infinite time and money. At best it’s a pre-alpha/prototype/tech demo.

But for CIG and it’s remaining defenders, it always exists in some nebulous superposition of states, that fits whatever argument they’re trying to make at the time. Lando will laugh his little troll laugh and tell backers how lucky they are to have access to a game “so early in development”, while Chris gets on stage and says he basically considers the game almost done.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Question: can I experience prison gameplay during the free fly? And if so what is the quickest way to be imprisoned after waking up in the wank pod?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

But for CIG and it’s remaining defenders, it always exists in some nebulous superposition of states, that fits whatever argument they’re trying to make at the time. Lando will laugh his little troll laugh and tell backers how lucky they are to have access to a game “so early in development”, while Chris gets on stage and says he basically considers the game almost done.

Chris is the kind of guy who believes in Santa Claus because he knows reindeer are real.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
DS makes a good point...

quote:

That they implemented a queue system means that they're no longer dynamically spawning AWS server instances on demand. That's a cost saving measure.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Today was a great day to remember that star citizen existed

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

trucutru posted:

AquaNox. My memory is fuzzy because it is game from 1996, but essentially it is privateer under sea.

I liked the game as child, and it is on gog if somebody wants to try it. But it's is really old game so without nostalgia glasses you may see unplayable poo poo.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
AquaNox...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_QMSpJbOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Reddit is slowly turning against CIG, I’d say that they’re about 6-12 months behind Spectrum. It’s not outright hostile yet, but the sock puppets, cultists and shills can’t really control the narrative anymore.

The whole argument over what to call Star Citizen at this point has been twisted beyond recognition. It is essentially a giant collection of art assets shoved into CryEngine with almost no proper mechanics or gameplay features. It’s hard for people to pin down because it’s very good at appearing like a game unless you dig deeper into it. “Oh they launched the big exploration ship? Well then it must have tons of gameplay to go along with it right?”

Even calling it an Alpha is a lie, because an alpha should be feature complete, but Star Citizen has virtually no features or what it has are wildly incomplete and broken placeholders for some far off future if CIG is given infinite time and money. At best it’s a pre-alpha/prototype/tech demo.

Spectrum isn't that bad....

Oh.