Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

we meet again SC thread

i think one of my fav things about the whole "GTAV took x years" is the corollary that GTAV and skyrim are miniscule undertakings in comparison to star citizen

which should immediately flash alarms for everyone since those are both huge AAA games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

Coloring in Star Citizen as blue, referencing alpha, is very generous of this chart. I know they say it's alpha, but since nothing works, there's no space flight or physics, etc. it's still really just in production. They're just letting people experience the raw thrill of their streaming liquid poo poo. It'll be a real alpha when many working systems are in place and fairly reliable, and a handful of missions are playable and give a feel what the game will be. That's alpha, then they add content and fix bugs until they have most of what will release, there's your beta, then when they think it's ready it's a release candidate, then a release.

Who's kidding who, though, Chris Roberts has already explained that all those terms are "just words" anyway and the "old way" of doing things; the correct approach is to steal money for nearly a decade and do whatever you want to with it and get praised for your infinite layer cake of abject failure.

mate next year they're gonna be in alpha 4.0 and you're gonna be ashamed of your words and deeds

alpha 4.0 naturally being the alpha after 3.9 cause thats how version numbers work

this is a real game dev yes siree

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I think if I was given control of star citizen I would do as follows:

- Increase fidelity tenfold, its not 2012 anymore and these graphics aren't cutting it
- Get Sq42 done by doing a fundraiser to raise money to brute force the game to completion with thousands of additional hours of mocap
- replace accurate Newtonian flight model with quantum 12th dimensional flight model
-apply quantum model to all in game physics, no two simulated electrons have exactly the same energy state
-remove unrealistic ftl and only allow travel at 5% of light speed in the fastest ships. At top speeds you must log off to simulate your character going into hibernation to avoid being pulped by g forces
- on top of insurance make players file their taxes, this is a good time to introduce our new ship based around financial gameplay and accounting: £1200
- add sexual assault and slavery as part of Pirate 2.0
- cryengine is too difficult and unsuited for an MMO, switch to Frostbyte
- Promote sandi, she is the best saleswoman and has been since she was a little girl
- fire Erin and replace him with lesnick
- Sq42 complete remaster with 3000 extra pages of script, launched 2 years after chapter 7 completes the septilogy, cliffhanger sets up Star Citizen
- toggle VR to On

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

So the medical ship is just a purchasable spawn point? How much is that, 10 bux?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

skeletors_condom posted:

It's hilarious that the cultists approach purchases of pre-release DLC/jpegs almost as a hobby. They don't even know what CIG will announce:

Note: they are talking about this ship/jpeg ad:

Tbf that is "the hobby" of star citizen

Hell, buying expensive crap is "the hobby" in warhammer too

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

True, but afterward you get to actually play with your stuff.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, warhammer exists

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm furious about all this kojima defeatism

The man may be a disgusting misogynist but he's made all them games with his bare hands, it says so right on the studio!

Real talk: however poo poo DS may be its probably gonna be one of the more interesting games to come out this gen for one reason or another

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I wish ben was still alive...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

He is? Just cuz he was moved upstate to pursue his fantasies, don't mean he dead dude.

Yeah my dog "moved upstate" too to live on a farm.

Prove it!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

When's citizencon? Me and my partner always try and watch them even if we can't keep up with the drama day to day.

Also did the star citizen thread recap go off site? I loved reading that but I appreciate its a lot of effort

o7 commandos

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The epstein drive lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the stuff CDPR showed of CP2077 just before release was giving me major star citizen vibes

they were showing off hunt the pixel detective minigames and OST stuff and lore, it reminded me of citizencon where they have 2 hours to fill and no game to show

i remember thinking like "this game is coming out in 3 months, surely they have more than the opening slice theyve shown 50 times now"

wellllllll

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's funny to see the devs becoming elderly and still no game is coming out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

hi thread, its been ages

did squadron 42 ever show its face?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm still waiting on female PCs for mordhau before I check it out, they said they were coming...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

LostRook posted:

Do all of you really not take bacterial supplements to make your balls bigger?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Is that the guy in the wheelchair that derrick doxxed?

thanks for reminding me of this

"thats him in the wheelchair" lmfao what a great moment

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The multi spline rivers are really something

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Every few months my partner asks me where the next episode of sunk cost fallacy is so whoever does that could you make the next one for her please

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tbf I'm not sure if making star citizen in ue5 is much more viable than making it in cryengine

They should really just make a dedicated engine since their needs are pretty specific, they could easily have done that by now

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

Without talking about engine's respective merits because I don't have a clue, I'd say UE5 would benefit them in that it's the cool kid right now, and it probably has or will soon have a thriving mod/plugin/assets scene for all of their low-effort mario kart one-man-projects, as well as a massive pool of developers familiar with it.

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a procedural river demo out there for UE5 that blows "the" river out of the water.

The issue with ue5 or any 3rd party engine is there's a load of cruft that you don't need so it either negatively impacts performance or you have to spend time tearing it out and hoping you don't break anything.
There's also gonna be a bunch of very basic stuff missing you will need to invent anyway depending on the engine and what it's meant to be used for.

UE kinda has this issue for any game that isn't a straightforward shooter or action game. Plus if you want to actually use code in UE you need to do it via this weird system where you have to use a bunch of unusual custom syntax because UE hides a lot of its core code, so your code is actually being handled by a go between system you can't really get into, rather than directly into the game.

Also UE isn't inherently better optimised or anything either, there's no way to do it automatically and even your most basic game is gonna run like absolute poo poo until you put in a lot of work meticulously going over everything manually.

At least that was the case for Ue4, I haven't messed around with 5 a lot but I did install it for a look and it looks basically identical.

The upside ofc is that it's way easier to hire competent devs if they know the engine and the more common the engine the more people will know tricks to get it to do what you want. Which particularly helps the optimisation bit.

Nobody uses cryengine anymore though and they never really did so it's kinda the worst of both worlds.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 18, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The original much smaller pitch where everyone was playing in small instances specifically matched with players theyr incentivised to interact with whether to rob or assist or whatever was a pretty good one.

But I think even that was basically using handwavium to explain away how they were gonna make a game entirely hinging on very advanced and nuanced matchmaking

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

maybe even toilet game play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Yeah, he left SA because he used an English colloquialism for the urethral opening of the penis that caused offence - sparked a bit of a kerfuffle if I remember correctly, he was dogpiled and decided to bugger off.

He still posts over on the ED forums.

Took me a second then I was like "ooooh. Yeah"