Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Agony Aunt posted:

Actually, you kind of can.

You start towards your destination, drop out, then select a different destination, then back to the original, then a different one, to create a zig zag path.

Of course, why do this unless you know there is a trap waiting.

For all the mess that this is, it sounds pretty similar to avoiding a drag/stop bubble in EVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Say what you want about ED's grind and late game play- one thing they absolutely nailed was the spaceflight and landing/taking off. Give me that in a Star Wars universe and I'd be all over it. Or more Tie Fighter... that was a blast back in the day. First game I really got into.

Yeah, I'm hoping for more X-Wing/TIE. To be fair though, the flight model in those games was pretty arcadey (but then, so is star wars, so whatever).

The "sim" elements were in energy/shield management.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

X-wing/TIE also had- I'm struggling to describe it properly- more scripted? story-driven battles maybe?

Both definitely had solid narratives to their mission structure.

I 100% nerded out to the Farlander papers included with the collectors edition (or whatever it was called) as a young dork.

It's not really a criticism given the era, and I'd be on board with the flight model being more involved, but both of those games have _not_ aged well, as far as the flight model is concerned.

Also: Any X-Wing mission that had a star destroyer and I had ion cannons: that thing was dead, y'all. Y-Wing OP.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

colonelwest posted:

I don’t know, I feel like I sound like a grumpy old man, but I guess I’m just tired of certain modern titles not being able to match up to the feature sets of games that were made 15-20 years ago

Just to make sure you feel old: X-Wing was 27 years ago.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

colonelwest posted:

you have to be the lone pilot accomplishing everything yourself, and the only friendly ships would just be flying around randomly in the background as set dressing.

Ironically, that _was_ pretty much how it worked in X-Wing/TIE. They did a decent job dressing it up otherwise, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Star Citizen meets Tesla