Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sandweed posted:

All the idiot nerds that keep throwing money at this deserve it, that one thumbfaced conman gets rich is just a unfortunate side effect.

Cults and similar scams (like Scientology) can entrap even intelligent people. I don't think anyone deserves to be exploited in this fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

But as soon as Animal AI comes online, you'll have beavers opening up a cocktail bar by the river.

So we know AI in games will never live up to dreams.txt... but imagine for a moment that it could, and that CIG could make that breakthrough. What they are dreaming of is NPCs that are indistinguishable from human players. That is pretty much the definition of true general AI, or machine intelligence. Which then has to play Star Citizen 24/7.

I can think of few more direct paths to Skynet or the Matrix.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

Back in the day WWII online used to talk about all their fidelitious projectile physics. People would get very excited to know that before their screen suddenly cut to black, the projectile that killed them bounced around inside the tank in exactly such a way that it happened to go through their head. Very exciting to know that, even though it's all 100% invisible to the player and a sudden unavoidable instant death is the actual gameplay result regardless.

A practical person might wonder, if the end result of physics calculations is literally completely invisible and indistinguishable from a die roll, why calculate the physics at all and waste all those cycles?

A thoughtful person might think that, in the end, one of the horrors of war is that a person's life or death is frequently decided quickly and unfairly by an unlucky set of events that, in the end, might as well have been a roll of the dice.

A citizen thinks, no shortcuts, I can imagine literally anything is happening to make this incredibly poo poo game actually amazing.

I'm not sure what point I'm making here, but I feel there's something to this mentality. Almost a cognitive misfire.

Imagine I'm posting the sniper game video where you follow the bullet through the target's body and end up in the balls. That's what simulating the bullet gets you. But only if you add the gratuitous kill cam.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Monocle cat is likely to die from old age still believing that CIG will fulfill their promises any day now.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Truly,even Dwarf Fortress is dwarfed by the Simulation Depth of SC 1.0

I see what you did there.

Indeed, the amount of Z levels you would need to simulate an entire star system would be astronomical. Clearly, dwarves have too primitive AIs to randomly float through rooms while T posing (unless they are ghosts).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

nawledgelambo posted:

ughhh god is it over yet

What happens when crowdfunding completes?
That's when crowdfunding begins.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Squadron 42 was obviously always planned to come out in 2042; it's in the name! Goons are equally obviously trying to sabotage the project by calling it squadron 404. That'll make it come out in 2404!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

PEScat posted:

Are you all going to troll Bethesda's forum accusing Todd Howard of being incompetent because the Starfield release has been delayed?
Trolling Bethesda's forum? Hardly. It's well known that they are incompetent after Fallout 76. And Todd Howard only comes out of the cryogenic chamber to do press events and interviews; Unlike CR he is only a figurehead.

It just works.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The Titanic posted:

All it will really be "used" for is ways for people to be crude and insulting. There's no "good" thing for this. It's going to be peoples' garbage and used trash, or trash arranged in insulting arrangements, like swastika garbage piles everywhere.

Nobody at cig ever asks "so if we build it... how will it be used and what good is it?" especially in an mmo environment.

And even if it was worth doing, each server will just have a maximum number of piles of junk limit anyhow. It's not like it will be an infinite amount of Noodle boxes so you can build a Noodle box castle on planet SlaveLabor 4.

It's just more kicking the can down the street for dumb stuff to divert cig and the investors away from realizing nobody at cig actually knows how to make an mmo, or even a good and fun and functional video game.

What!? You mean asteroid mining won't yield real resources that go into a real supply chain where NPCs with rich inner lives can go to work in processing plants and factories to make as many noodle boxes as the player wants to purchase? Inconceivable!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Dwesa posted:

I think that backer meant by it Russians that support invasion of Ukraine. For some reason some SC cultists believe that refunds subreddit (aka FUDsters) is mostly evil Russians or something along those lines.

I believe this is a natural by-product of buying into the political theatre of the US. There are only two sides to any issue, and the people on the "other" side are evil in all things. The ones on "your" side are good in all things. Therefore, if you hate the war on Ukraine, and love Star Citizen, the people who support the war and the people who make fun of Star Citizen must be the same people.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

Can you truly add years to something that is endless?

Not only can you freely add to endless development, you can also subtract as much as you want. If the schedule is infinity, you can say you are weeks, months, or years ahead of schedule without lying.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'm fairly certain the coffee maker in Star Citizen is there because Chris watched the Expanse episode where they commandeer the Rocinante with its authentic coffee beans coffee machine.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Kikas posted:

Sorry to be anal about this, but is this really how it works? Isn't blacking out more of a problem with inertia rather than gravity? Inertia still exists in space once you start turning really fast, or spinning.

Also in my group of gaming friends, I am the one who brings the news about Scam Citizen, just because I think this whole mess is too funny to miss. None of them have discovered it organically, I think one of them found some mockery of it online, but it never penetrated our group too much. But we are a bunch of poor Europeans who could never ever justify spending 100+ dollars on a single thing in any game ever, so maybe that's why we're not the target.

If you can generate gravity in a ship so that you can walk around on deck while the ship is in free fall, you can counteract the effects of inertia to some extent. If you can make the gravity inside the ship the same direction as the ship is accelerating, the pilot will only feel whatever acceleration is left over. If your ship can generate 4G of internal gravity, it can counteract 4G of turning, so that a 5G turn will feel like a 1G turn. This is because gravity acts equally on all parts of the body, so gravitic acceleration can not be felt unless it is counteracted by some force (like the force the ground exerts on our feet that prevents us from falling through the floor).

This is high school level physics.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

Isn't there a specific reason computers use binary at the core of what they do? Isn't what he's wanting requiring building something so fundamentally different that it wouldn't be recognizable as a computer? Otherwise isn't that still just bits but with extra steps?

Yes, he's trying to be smarter than 70+ years' worth of engineers and scientists by making ASCII pictures on the internet.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Tippis posted:

…and it will invariably prioritise removing players from the game world rather than decorative objects.

No no, it will be coded to remove the oldest objects first. So it will start with the old space station, then the planets, sun, trains, and so on.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

"Last month the AI could follow you, but in elevators they kept walking in circles or whatever so we had to spend a month finding a fix for this!"

Didn't PEScat post a long rant about how the campaign was going to be in real time (implying no reloading) and also how does the multiple user profiles mesh with the "only one playthrough per purchase" narrative he's pushing? I wonder what he will post about this.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

For any other game I'd agree, but you know how SC handles copper pipes.

You're right, the copper would be torn out and sold to fund vitamins in the grand tradition of vitamin enjoyers.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Sandepande posted:

Which is sort of interesting as it runs on UE4.

Maybe they'll get it fixed over time (works for me, 70€ is a bit rich for my sensible spending habits, such as buying a 600€ Lego ISD and not finishing building it because it was a pain to assemble).

If Star Citizen should teach us any lesson at all it is this:

Never pre-order.
Don't listen to the blind praise of early adopters. Wait a good while so people without previous investment in whatever is released can give it an honest appraisal.

Then buy the completed product, unless you are already playing other games. If you are, put it on a wishlist and forget about it until you get the on sale notification.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I introduced a friend to the game and he has enjoyed it, because he's an adult man who understands this is an alpha in a critical sprint.

I'd be a complete wreck unable to do anything right too, if I'd been sprinting for 10+ years.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Even if the logs contained oxidiser the fire would not look like that. Flames rise because of convection, which relies on gravity and atmospheric pressure.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Xir posted:

Honestly cancelling SQ42 would be a good idea for the longevity of the project, assuming that somehow some skilled project management was to take over. Tossing that albatross frees up resources and removes Crobert's excuses for being out filming all the time.

Of course that requires skilled project management to be around and we all know how that goes.

Do you believe somehow that croberts being at the development studio would speed up development?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Star Citizen is like an enormous clock. It only works when all the little servers mesh. If they don't mesh, they can't even spin up or down!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'm calling about your Idris's extended warranty

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The replies seem to be 100% crypto bros sniping at each others' coin of choice though? I've no idea who coffeezilla is.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

Really, I would be more surprised if their bug tracker wasn't a poorly-implemented buggy piece of poo poo.

"We have had no bugs this patch! That's how great our new programmers are."
"Your bug tracker doesn't work, that's why."
"We have received no bug reports about the tracker."

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

no_recall posted:

Wait what? They are planning to charge more for a game that was supposedly bundled with a ship purchase?

Do we have any finance audits? What's their cash reserves like?

Will Starfield be the harbinger of the prophesized ELE?

Woe betide thee who did not read the July blog, for the end of times were therein described with much detail and gnashing of teeth.

Also please keep in mind that regardless of how good other games look compared to Star Citizen, pre-release press for games is always tightly controlled and Bethesda has lied about the state of their games before. Buying at release or pre-ordering is very risky, and the game won't be worse if you wait a month to buy it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Mirificus posted:

PEScat posted:

no more 'peeking under Chris Roberts skirt'.

No wonder the backers are upset.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Why has the Stimpire not prohibited the "40 times larger" / "40 times as large" ambiguity in English? I think their language committee needs to be deskeletonized.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Xakura posted:

You're making me want to play skyrim again :colbert:

Un/luckily, by the time I'm able to, starfield is going to be almost out.

How to play Skyrim: Spend 15-16 hours researching, installing, and load ordering mods. Spend one hour playing. Give up and uninstall when you find a game breaking bug (somehow caused by your mods).

In a way this resembles the process of playing Star Citizen, only without the mods. And much cheaper.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Virtual Captain posted:

No that's almost everyone's first fps and if Start Citizen is doing it, I'm guessing it doesn't pan out long term. You don't see individual bullets flying when you fire a gun so its probably a complete waste of time and/or an ugly end result like you'd see in babby's first roblox game.

These guys take the bait so hard I'm surprised the have any teeth left at all

Max Payne did it, but that's because it had bullet time so when you were jumping sideways through the air firing two handguns in slow motion you could see each individual bullet in motion. That is, they did it because it had a purpose.

I'm guessing there's no bullet time in Star Citizen.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Bushboy2000 posted:

3. What can we expect from version 4.0?
"We're holding alot of details about 4.0 'til CitizenCon, since CitizenCon will mainly be focused on cool things in 4.0 as well as some other things. However 4.0 will definitely include the first version of Server Meshing as well as travel to other systems and other things too but I think Tyler or Jared will shoot me if I say too much."

I remember before 3.0, when Server Meshing was going to be the defining feature of 3.0

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Private Speech posted:

It would be really funny if someone went full hog and just added all the SC ships in.

Make them fully functioning too.

To integrate them into Starfield they would have to be made into modules that fit on a grid, because starships in Starfield are just space Lego. This is the main draw for me, I built many Lego space ships as a kid, but I won't buy it until my 3090 can push reasonable quality in 4k with it, or I upgrade my system, whichever comes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

(...)him loving Das Boot so much that he had Jurgen Prochnow in his movie, so he had to make a Das Boot scene.

Everyone should watch it. You can't judge how garbage a movie is if you don't have the WC movie as a benchmark.

I think everyone should watch Das Boot, but I'm not sure anyone should watch the Wing Commander movie.