Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

colonelwest posted:

I mean the Elder Scrolls games have town jails you can get thrown in, but it’s all just a bone they threw to the hardcore role players. You can just pay a fine or reload your last save if you get caught. But in an MMO it’s entirely ridiculous.

It's not just for roleplayers, it's also a possible solution for quests that involve the idea "you need to kill this guy but he's holed up inside the local fort so it will be hard to get to him." It's something they could conceivably do if Star Citizen had any idea what its content was going to be beyond a broad idea of a lazy WWII pastiche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Astroniomix posted:

It's worth mentioning that the FF games tend to be fun to play as well.

Are they? I love FF6 but not for the actual gameplay, which is about as fun as navigating a DVD menu.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hav posted:

Keep going.

Next season should start touching on this on the TV show.

Not even next season, the final episode of season 4 has this.

Anyway, am I reading this right? Their big feature is aerodynamics in a SPACESHIP GAME?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Imagine being so clueless that you look at Chris Roberts and Star Citizen and think "this will make me a big movie star"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

commando in tophat posted:

:lol: that disney would be concerned with "tarnishing star wars brand". If that is the case they shouldn't have made their trilogy

It's not like there was some big well of untainted integrity in Star Wars after the prequels

Or the EU

Or Return of the Jedi

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Remember how Croberts promised to pass the Turing test with his crew bots? Somehow I don't think the people paying him care about how plausible his ideas are.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All Star Citizen characters are generic. That's what happens when the person who micromanages every aspect of your game has no ideas of his own.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lord Stimperor posted:

Alternatively a battletech style exodus of the star league to the forums of the galactic periphery, to return once again in the future with mighty weapons of shitposting

We are... Out to make the forums much worse with our existence in this metaphor?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scruffpuff posted:

The era of the "video game auteur" is over, Roberts is a fossil (and was never actually a member of that club anyway), so it's unlikely anything like this will repeat again in this particular way. It was a perfect storm of narcissism, ineptitude, and mental illness.

What bothers me more is what the CIG people and the backers are going to do once this closes and they wander out of their paddock out into the world again. They're not going to suddenly become good people - they're going to need something new to be getting on with. At the moment this project is keeping them sequestered.

There's still a few people I'd call a "video game auteur" who are still active, but they're making games with smaller budgets, like the guy who made Nier. And unlike Croberts, they make games that are really loving weird, whereas Chris only has ideas that someone else has already had.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Oh I'm not implying he wanted to gently caress customers over, I think his idea was more to make permadeath... well permadeath so you'd be more attached to the protagonist. In his mind the game would probably have been cheaper to make up for such an insane game mechanic.

Also he's not the only person to think about doing this. The idea of a game you can only play once art project story game things that designers talk about a lot, but most of them have the sense to know the more people like something the more likely they are to want to revisit it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think we're all overlooking that his handle is @Cenasmells

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SpitefulHammer posted:

I remember reading this in a games magazine a year or two before Oblivion released and getting completely hyped for the game, because I was young and stupid.

At least Oblivion's 'Radiant AI' sounds cooler than 'Bartender AI', even if it was just canned animations and a schedule.

It's okay, I assumed it would be a cool unique game like Morrowind and not a game so generic that you'd swear Crobbler made it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean, I. Battletech something with 2km range would basically be a super weapon

Not in space it wouldn't be

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

On Her Majesty's Server Side whatever the hell the rest of it is

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Khanstant posted:

Supposedly MGSV also makes Snake's "horn" get bigger and gnarlier if you kill people, but I've never killed anyone in any MGS series*

If you get to a certain point, the blood no longer washes off you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, but with Star Wars it kind of makes sense. Darth Vader and the Emperor are both monster-men. Mass Effect was just like "hey if you get mad your cybernetic implants get hot enough to glow orange, this was somehow not a design flaw"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's written by Chris Roberts. You know the answer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Awesome! posted:

why does that look like 25 other cartoons that have come out over the last several years? is there only like 1 animation studio left in the world

When something is successful a thousand things try to look like it. Like always.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ggangensis posted:

You know, they say we Germans lack in the “critical thinking”-department

Hi, I live in America. We definitely don't say that, at least.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mailer posted:

FS2020 is a hack job from some mediocre dev. You might think you're flying over a farm, but it's just satellite imagery with some bland fakery on top of it. In CIG's Earth, you'll be able to fly down to that farm and meet the farmer who will have his own hopes and dreams and will react to you based on how his life is going. This is all tracked server-side thanks to icache or quanta or something that looks like a lot of writing on a whiteboard. It might be a player, enjoying the game by never leaving that farm or seeing space because that's Star Citizen and you can't tell the NPCs from the players. Then you'll hide in the barn with lust on your mind.

That's not my fault, Ram Ranch really rocks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Titanic posted:

Gosh, almost like all that nonsense was a stupid loving lie and once people who actually required some oversight stopped them from continuing to pander total bullshit about stuff they didn't actually do.

I was really hoping we'd get some eye witnesses from the time she was doing some high-level class and had a bunch of models from her shoe design factory come in and transform the desks into a runway where they showed off her incredible fashion sense, and she got an A in the class for reasons.

I can't help but notice they left off her most significant job qualification: being married to Crobbler

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like the guy who goes "Borderlands wasn't cell shaded until shortly before release!"

Like... yeah. Visual bells and whistles are normally the last thing to be finished. Competent developers start with the most bare-bones visuals to make sure the core gameplay works and then build out the actual game world once you can, for instance, finish a gameplay loop.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dooguk posted:

Because it's space, you can also drop bombs on things above you.

I mean if you've got artificial gravity who says you can't just drop things down and have them go really fast in space

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trillhouse posted:

I'm not even sure the majority of Star Citizens want space combat anymore. Reading what they mostly post nowadays, it seems like they want to do weird space-jobs like mining, civilian transport, quests on the ground, etc.

The Arena Commander mode (basically the PVP quick-dogfight mode) has been broken for months and nobody cares. If you want to actually fly around in a spaceship and fight other players, you have to play the PU, wake up in the wankpod, go to a kiosk to get your ship, then enter pvp zone, etc.

It's wild that after all this time, they still haven't sat down and figured out how to make space combat fun and balanced. It's just not a priority.

What they want is the ability to buy respect and admiration, which doesn't really work in real life and never works in video games

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm sure he imagines 5-10-15 years from now his name will be spoken in quiet awe across various forums as one of the 'stalwart soldiers' of star citizen, always there to defend her maiden honor

he can jump into a discord server and people will say Jorunn is here guys... and everyone will know who that is

stuff that these people have been dreaming about since day 0 when the kickstarter launched

The core of the Star Citizen fantasy is the imagined ability to buy respect and class. The idea that because you spent thousands of dollars on a spaceship people will desperately want to be your friend.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Any creative person who puts their own name in the universe they built is a lovely creator. There are absolutely no exceptions to this rule.

The more prominent they are the more creatively bankrupt the person is. Croberts is the perfect evidence of this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AngusPodgorny posted:

This has gotten me to thinking--is this possibly the worst self-insert ever? Because I can't think of anything worse.

Stuff like Alfred Hitchcock's cameos was innocuous. If he wants to appear as a bit role in his movies for his own amusement, I have no problem with that. Stephen King writing himself into the later books of the Tower or Gunslinger or whatever the series is called was awkward, and M. Night Shamalayan's stand-in for the Lady in the Water was pretty bad, but Roberts has gone beyond either of them by casting himself as the "young and inventive" creator of the greatest invention the world has ever seen.

I'd put it up there with Eugene Wesley Roddenberry's self-insert, Wesley Crusher, but without the very thin level of guile Roddenberry applied.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Titanic posted:

Which was always sort of weird because she was never very pretty I thought, but I'm probably not the best judge of what guys find sexy so ymmv.

It's not about whether you're extremely attractive, the appeal is "OMG there's a woman who likes the same things as me* but isn't a gross neckbeard like I am????"

*Sandi actually doesn't meet this requirement but these people are easy to trick

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Croberts promised he'd make AI that you couldn't tell apart from humans and they believed him. Might as well promise literally everything you can imagine.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aramoro posted:

Kinda depends on who you count as crew. A Nimitz class is around 6000 like you say including aircrew. The Gerald Ford class which followed it is listed at 2600. The RN Prince of Wales class operates with a crew of 679 going up to 1600 with aircrews etc. I could accept a crew of 500 or so in the far future, excluding aircrews.

Not when you're Croberts and you can only imagine things as WWII in space though. Gotta have individual gunners for each gun!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BitBasher posted:

The B29 had remote computer operated turrets in 1944 though? Gunners could even automatically take over any other turrets from the gunnery stations in the plane.

So what you're saying is that Croberts also doesn't understand WWII.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And Oblivion is a generic fantasy game that fails at everything Morrowind was good at. At this rate Elder Scrolls 6 will make Oblivion's writing and world look like Disco Elysium.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Titanic posted:

Imagine trying to make a game in today's world where news has to be digested in Twitter-length posts, and even the school books are shortened to prevent kids from losing attention.

Focus is something that is from a bygone era and gaming isn't trying to bring it back any.

Disco Elysium came out in 2019. Bethesda's just not very good at writing games, it's not that they're forced to suppress the talent that they don't have.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sarsapariller posted:

My Fallout 3/NV/4 headcanon is that the bombs caused some kind of hosed-up Elder Scrolls time disjunction event where the deeper underground you go the longer it has been, so while for the most part only a year or two has passed on the surface and everything is still an irradiated trash fire, the people coming from the vaults feel like it's been 200 years or whatever. The pockets of civilization like the Steel Brotherhood or Vegas itself are just scavengers trying to pull things back together in the immediate aftermath, and that's why even their food and clothing is still just pre-war relics- there's been no time to build infrastructure or revert to agrarianism. But the vault dwellers keep mistakenly assuming that they've been around for centuries even though the bones are right there.

Why make excuses for Bethesda when they clearly don't give a poo poo about any of that? It's like trying to explain why everything in Star Citizen's lore is just an excuse to buy spaceships.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Why are you including New Vegas in a discussion of Bethesda not giving a poo poo? Obsidian expressly DOES care about these kind of things. It's straight up Goofus and Gallant.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 7, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's one thing that FF has in common with SC: the people in charge of both think that rendered CGI scenes are a good substitute for gameplay.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tippis posted:

I'm sure that already happened in the late '80s, at the very latest.

Also any anime D&D Square makes won't hold a candle to those Capcom beat em ups.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LostRook posted:

No, it comes out more in One's other work Mob Psycho 100 and the Murata version obscures it but One Punch Man definitely has a core message of "Grow up and live in the real world" with a strong anti-fantasy bent.

OPM always read to me as being about the mythical Japanese path to a perfect life. Work really hard in middle school so you go to a good high school! Work hard in high school so you can go to a good university! Go from your good university to a good job! Congratulations, you did it, your life is happy forever!

Saitama works hard and achieves all the feats set in front of him, but the end of the journey is unsatisfying to him, just like many people in Japan are unsatisfied with their unfulfilling corporate job.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dialhforhero posted:

I guess my comment was directed at the space sim genre in general or at least something visually similar (such as a battlefield series—the latest Star Wars Battlefront reminds me a lot of this game too).

It would be unfair to compare it to, say, Sea of Thieves and its beautiful water and lighting, or anything on Unreal 5 so far (which is probably where the game should be migrated to at this point).

To call this game looking like “poo poo”, though, is a bit hyperbolic.

The reality is there aren’t very many space sims out there, and the ones that are have a lot of years behind them now, so if you can call Star Citizen “poo poo” the I would assume that virtually all other space sims are “poo poo”.

It could be moved to UE5 and still look like poo poo, because Chris Roberts' imagination is limited to regurgitating stuff that he and we have already seen. While great art direction can make up for performance shortcomings, the opposite isn't really true anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Khanstant posted:

It really won't. It's funny how much mythic power modders have accrued over time both because 92% of Bethesda game players never use a mod or aren't even playing where mods are possible and the mods themselves never have the big foundational changes that would be needed to make the game notably better. Tweaking numbers, swapping adding models, UI fixes, altered start conditions, poo poo like that will be available for the tiny minority of players who mod but there's never been a set of mods to make a poo poo Bethesda game into a good one. Fallout 4 has has years for modders to do their thing and they haven't made the game much better, because they can't, the base isn't solid enough like it was for Skyrim and Morrowind.

They didn't make it meaningfully better because to make fallout 4 any good at all, you need to literally tear apart the game entirely and rebuild it from nothing.