Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

for the documentary, has anyone said Citizen Can't yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

skeletors_condom posted:

One notion presented in this thread that I strongly disagree with is the idea that some SC fanboys lean alt-right.

All in all, I would say they are just nerds. They don't support the ethno-state or "peaceful ethnic cleansing," they are more about a faux-great Gatsby spaceship and some marketing talking points about immersion and fidelity. Alt-righters (even ones who play video games) aren't about that.

Nope.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

skeletors_condom posted:

I am just saying that most star citizen fanboys (i.e. ones on spectrum + r/sc) are not into "the ethno-state" and other super weird poo poo. Most of them are into dumb video gaming BS. They are nostalgic for 90s/early 2000s gaming culture and they've taken this nostalgia to the nth degree. But they are not weird, hosed racists; at least not the majority of them.

This is trivially disproven by looking at the post histories that are frequently posted. Stop being a doofus.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

gently caress you for reading this.

:(

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

The movie was a satire, the novel has a pages long diatribe smack in the middle as to how it's the only way to have a proper society.

Guys.

It's possible to write an internally consistent novel written specifically from a character's point of view without any of that actually mapping to how you really think society should be.

It's like a lot of science fiction is about writing about an idea that you don't have to want to exist in real life, or something.

Go read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and tell me how consistent its world and politics are with Starship Troopers.

It's like Heinlein was an author of novels, or something.