Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I caught up with the thread; ya'll need to post faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This thread made me curious and so I followed up to see what Dual Universe and Battlescape Infinity was like, but both look to be kinda just multiplayer games with a few other bells and whistles? B:I at least has some kind of offline exploratory mode. My dream game is one that combines the procgen base building poo poo and space legs with literally everything else in Elite: Dangerous.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nyast posted:

Yeah yeah, you got baited by Chris's "dream" just like everybody. Procgen base building, space legs and an entire sandbox galaxy ? You don't get that in an indy game like I:B's. In fact you don't even get it with a $250M budget.

Go play and support real indies that make real games, even if they're less ambitious, than pledge into this black hole sucking your money and dreams that is called Star Citizen.

Nothing I said had anything to do with me backing or checking out Star Citizen, so I'm not sure what "baited by Chris's dream" means? I've never pledged or given any money to CIG, so I'm not sure if you're actually answering my post or someone else's by mistake?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agony Aunt posted:

Hmm.. a Chieftan, a Challenger, and a Type 7. Is that one in the bottom right meant to be an Eagle Mk2?

That top right one doesn't look anything like a Type 7. It looks like those big long ships from freelancer that looked like the ribcage/spine with centipedge arms grabbing cargo. I can't explain it any better than that but you know the ones.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mp5 posted:

Thanos' ship

Thanos's ship looks like Van Damme when he did counter-top splits in Timecop. Go ahead try to not see that now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hentai Jihadist posted:

...Hell, buying expensive crap is "the hobby" in warhammer too

True, but afterward you get to actually play with your stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tippis posted:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/death-stranding-tokyo-game-show-2019/2970-19622

CIG developers are currently getting very very drunk to remove the pain.

Can't get to this at work. Please describe in great detail what is happening, and pantomime if necessary. I must have it all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lego was smart, not committing to a project without seeing an actual product. That said, I'd love to see a Lego set of the the Elite flyable ships. I'd buy every single one.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

DS is exactly the game I knew it would be, for better and worse.

I called it years ago, its MGS4 with no snake and more weird ideas. I'm not saying I'm the only one, but for how weird Kojima likes to be, and how different and creative he can be, he's also pretty predictable.

Some people are going to love DS, and it is an actual game, so its waaaaay better than SC. Also kojima isn't selling submarines yet.

But I think at best it'll be like Silent Hill 2 where the atmosphere is everything. The gameplay looks about as compelling as silent hill combat is. (Not very)

I kept reading this as "Derek Smart" and realized you meant "Death Stranding".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is that a Siberian Dwarf hamster? Those are loving adorable!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quavers posted:

Hover Mode Tier 1 looking good! :toot:

What in the gently caress is that even supposed to be used for?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It baffles me that people are so enamored with buying pictures of cars even though there are no roads built. Or cars, really.

Edit: Not only are they putting the cart before the horse, but the cart is a piece of poo poo with three wheels and just turns in place, and they're selling pictures of it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

According to Death Smessenger there, Elite was in production for 30+ years. What. The. gently caress?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tsar Mikey posted:

Come on guys, it's common knowledge that Elite Dangerous design documents have been found on papyrus scrolls on the banks of the Nile.

It is true that Cleopatra herself was killed with an Asp multi-cannon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oh well that's a lot better.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My opinion probably won't be very popular, but I kinda feel bad for Chris Roberts. I believe (or want to believe) that he really believes this game will be everything he's ever dreamed of making. He's so far out of touch with reality that no other narrative makes sense to him and he can't fathom a world where he might fail at this. And it's just one shameful update or handful or broken features after another. And he's sold his dream to so many people he can't go back on it now.

These are things I choose to believe because this story makes sense to me. I mean...just look at the dude. He's way too dopy for me to believe he's masterminded the perfect fraudulent scheme where he can siphon millions of dollars, give next to nothing in return, and people in the end will applaud him for it. And I'm sure the people closest to him are just patting him on the back and paying tribute to his ego because now they're loving rich and who cares if an actual game comes out.

He's like ever super villain cliche where the villain genuinely believes he's doing good work and when he's undone and found out by the hero, he can't handle that truth.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

stingtwo posted:

It's the same with theranos though, at what point is it ambition of the idea to now scamming you customer base, Chris may not have started this whole thing with the intent of scamming, but it has been that way for a long time now. The other thing is when this project implodes, he will blame others for his dream not being met, again cause he did it with his movie and with freelancer.

That's the thing. I'm probably wrong but I feel like Chris absolutely believes with all his heart that none of this is a scam. He reminds me of a child who was given too much money to design his dream toy, and while he's dreaming others are getting rich so long as he keeps dreaming.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JugbandDude posted:

I started a new char in Fallout 4, fully modded, with all DLCs and the unofficial patch, to see how the extra content looked.

Then I soon found myself reading all dialogue fast, but skipping the recorded voices. Every time i'm clicking to skip and the char is like "uh-huh, uh-huh", I remember Chris Roberts' magnum opus and its endless mocapped scenes. I'm completely unable to grasp how pointless it all is.

Then again, i'm a gaming dad without time for nonsense, so SC/Squadron 42 are definitely not for me.

I love how the Fallout 4 protag will just "uh huh, uh huh, sure" his way right through important dialogue and people spilling their life stories. It's one of the few things that a voiced protag did right in that game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Here's another unpopular opinion of mine: I liked the story in SC II. I mean, it certainly wasn't good but it was fun big bang popcorn trash and as silly as it was, it didn't have a cliffhanger ending, which is always a surprise for a Blizzard game. I agree the first game was better story-wise, but I was only 20 when I played it and I was younger and hadn't played too many games at that point with good story lines anyway. When I played them back to back a year or two ago, both games are kinda dumb bang bang popcorn trash. They're loud, stupid, and fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rePool posted:

So let's use the same logic for Star Citizen.

Chris was pushed off of Freelancer back when he wanted a Star Citizen. If we're basing records off of thoughts and ideas, how old is Freelancer again?

It gets better. Someone up-thread posted a picture/quote from Chris Roberts in the mid 90s talking about his ideal future space game, while he himself was dressed in some weird rear end space suit and looking like Malcolm McDowell. Use that instead.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nicholas posted:

dnf: longest active development
elite: longest time between sequels? although wasteland definitely has that beat

Wouldn't Dwarf Fortress be close if not beating DNF for total dev time?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You gotta admire the gall of a company that ask you to pay them ridiculous sums of money to enjoy their game's basic features and beta test for them. That is stunning.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is the ship buying stuff supposed to look like, supposedly, when this game...ahem..."launches"? Like, if a ship costs $800 of real world dollars, but another player can earn it in the same time an Elite player can earn, say, an Anaconda, won't the $800 dollar poorer person be both poorer and mad? And if the $800 ship is a totally awesome ship worth the price...somehow....isn't that the absolute worst form of pay to win? I'm not sure I understand the intent.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Popete posted:

That's always been the dilemma, if they balance this game so that a regular player could reasonably earn the expensive ships then they will piss off their whales (which is basically all that's left). There is no reasonable way to "balance" ships that you're charging hundreds of dollars for, someone is going to get screwed over.

Either they balance it to the point that no one would ever pay real money for the ships and their cash flow drys up, or they make it impossible to earn ships in game and no one bothers playing.

What they could do, and it's not perfect, is to send whales cool detailed physical models of the ships they bought, maybe a certificate, and some in game skins or something to show everyone what a special snowflake they are.

I just can't even begin to fathom some of the prices. I bought the Elite: Dangerous Lifetime Season pass for like $170 three or four years ago, and that gets me all future season/expansion content, sans cosmetics, forever. Folks in Star Citizen are paying several times that for a ship that might not be in the game and if it is it doesn't matter because there is not game. I just...I don't...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Strangler 42 posted:

When I die I'm going to pass on the deed to my 890J to my children and make them all hate me.

Fixed

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If i'm reading that correctly, is it CIG themselves picking their 16 favorite ships?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don’t know much about furries but this video is immediately hard to watch with sounds on. Why do their voices sound like chew toys?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quavers posted:

3.7 Evocati Patch Notes https://pastebin.com/axWeLRy0
Players may crash when changing hair back to original when using the character customizer.

This is loving amazing.

Edit: When the "player crashes" does the game keep running without them? I bet it does.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is that a screenshot of?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What does “cinematic realism” mean? Aren’t those two different things?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

We gonna talk about that dead body stashed under the seat? I can't even tell what the focus of this picture is, it reminds me of those bunny-with-a-pancake-on-its-head pictures that were funny memes a dozen years ago.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bofast posted:

...inner thoughts™ menu ...

Is this a thing you made up or is this a real thing CIG *implemented*? I honestly can't tell anymore.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This thread has so much invented language that I don't understand it all. What's an "ortwin"?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bofast posted:

Well, you see, CIG thought that their old way of letting people press F to open doors and such was not fidelicious enough. Instead, they replaced it with a system where you hold down a button (I think it's F by default) and get interaction prompts popping up for things like opening doors, turning on a ship's power or sitting on chairs. You can then mouse over an interaction prompts to perform said interaction, meaning that opening a simple door now requires the player to hold F, mouse over the correct interaction prompt and click on it.

Why the gently caress would anyone think that's a good system? Unless there's multiple interactions for doors? Like, if there's multiple, then I kinda get it, but if there's a menu with one option, just default to that and let me open doors.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hello, Dishonored has more than one option for doors and it still doesn't use dumb non-sense menus for it. There's a button to look through the keyhole and a button to open the door. It's neato. I also really like Dishonored. I like how it's a game that you can play from start to finish and I didn't have to spend $2000 to play as the main character.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

trucutru posted:

Congrats to you friend? I think.

Like, imagine trying to replicate a bug only to have 4 new bugs gently caress the attempt over.

Like, do they have metrics like "seconds until bug"?

They probably track "Bug Clusters" at CIG or some poo poo. I'd hate to be a Release Manager at that company.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Contingency posted:

All I picked up was a T-16000M, and it's sitting there on my desk as a dust-covered shame trophy. Doesn't even look like I'll ever be able to play Descent: Underground with it either.

It works great with Freespace 2, go play that! It's also great for Elite Dangerous which I used it for.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Well, there was that guy a year or two ago who died from auto-erotic asphyxiation in his, got found by his parents a day or two later. Sad but true.

I'd like to read more about this. Do you have links?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't see that video cuz i'm at work so I gotta ask: what is the video and what is everyone talking about and why is Sandi sad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Someone just linked this on reddit, which seems to be a good summary: NSFW https://www.reddit.com/r/StarCitizenDebate/comments/6rt1ue/star_citizen_community_manager_ben_lesnik/ NSFW

Basically he had an old blog with a ton of racism, pedophilia, and weirdass stalking of a female news anchor.

Maybe mark that poo poo with an NSFW or something. I just clicked it to see what was going on while at my desk at work and holy poo poo that's some creepy stuff. When I got to stuff about 13 year olds I closed my browser.

Edit: And to be fair, I knew going in that it said it was squicky poo poo right below the link.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 1, 2019