Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The movie was a satire, the novel has a pages long diatribe smack in the middle as to how it's the only way to have a proper society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Remora posted:

Guys.

It's possible to write an internally consistent novel written specifically from a character's point of view without any of that actually mapping to how you really think society should be.

It's like a lot of science fiction is about writing about an idea that you don't have to want to exist in real life, or something.

Go read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and tell me how consistent its world and politics are with Starship Troopers.

It's like Heinlein was an author of novels, or something.

The character who goes on said diatribe is the old teacher of the narrator that he visits in the middle of the novel specifically so this could happen. It's completely divorced from the plot and entirely serious.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Have you tried NMS in VR?

Just unfuck the flight controls or let me use a controller. NMS VR is cool but the control scheme is such a pain I basically never do it, though only the flight controls are a total deal breaker.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

colonelwest posted:

They loved to pretend to be alt-right Übermensch, but they were the biggest pussies imaginable.

But enough about libertarians *laughtrack*

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Long time watcher first (second?) time poster. Star Citizen let's anyone with only 25k become the megarich of this world (world not existing nonwithstanding). It's a relatively small amount of money for to be at the pinnacle of 'success'. Star Citizen backers appear to run the gamut of material wealth but none have or will ever be anywhere near multi-multi-millionaires. It's a strange pathology, but within that pathology (in both desire and ability to project back from space MMOs) there's nothing offering the perceived level of output for the input required.

Also, from pages back, Derek very much deserves his perma, but he was always interesting to watch.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rabelais D posted:

2) where's the fidelity? Look at the polygons on the rim of the cup. It's almost octagonal. I thought the whole point about this game and why it's taking so long was because they are holding themselves to some insane fidelity standard.

Spacemug

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Lammasu posted:

I'm still kind of new here. What is FUD exactly?

https://youtu.be/TJI_gygXsfs

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

Why did they mocap zombie as a beartender is the real question

Much less appetizing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Unless the new update changed things dramatically, NMS really is an inch deep. At a certain point you realize you've seen constructively everything and it's up to you to make your own fun or move on. But that's ok, there's enough to do and see that the time spent do-ing is quiet enjoyable, it just kinda peters out rather than ends.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tell me that's shopped. I've been staring at this from over here for years now, and this i think would be the most audacious part of it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh poo poo, there are people in this world that have never had an MRE, arnt there

And people who don't or can't read the directions

Anyone whose never been cold and muddy and said gently caress it and eaten the reformed pork patty right out the bag while sitting in a puddle in a ranger grave hasnt lived though

You know anywhere to get like a single MRE? I want to try one but hell if I'm buying a box.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

trucutru posted:

You can find them in army surplus stores and gun shows. They succkkkk (an exception are the EU ones that are just a bunch of off-the-shelf cans with stuff that people actually voluntarily pay for), not as much as SC of course, but it ain't a good experience unless you're like my cousin who once remarked that dried dog food "was ok".

And it wasn't even expensive dog food.

It's really just a curiosity thing; too much steve1989 / wondering how they stack up to school cafeteria food.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Anybody got stimpire.txt handy? I'm drunk and there's a QCS thread that's gone on too long.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

walruscat posted:

Why do people think the Calders have any ability to get this poo poo show under control and release an MVP?

They invested over $40 million in this trash fire and threw in another $15 million plus as extra kindling. How does that not make them the biggest idiot backers donating to Chris’s luxury lifestyle fund?

Presumably the $55M has provisions for them to take control if things don't happen. They are the biggest idiots here though, yes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I don't get why y'all give any mind to this shambling corpsepuppet of a game anymore, but drat if y'all don't have the best animal gifs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

In a very real way, CIG has just been selling multi-thousand dollar forums titles.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Were lootboxes even a thing when SC started? They'd certainly have blockchained ships if it had been trendy at the time, and the citizen would have eaten it up.

On that note, when the hell did it start again?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Considering the only player verb in that pile is "command", all you'd need to do to bring these dreams to life is have a command chair for the player character to sit in while a text/video terminal tells you the results of whatever you ordered. You don't even need a game world.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

You've just invented the X series!

Nah, because that looks like a game and then can see the lack of fidelity. You have to give them less.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Gort posted:

A goofy game world where literally every interaction was done by gun and gun alone could be pretty funny if you leaned into it.

Quake?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Popete posted:

CIG having 720 employees is not something to boast about given the glacially slow progress and poor quality.

As part of the physicalized space ship paradigm, most of them are digital riveters trying to keep up with all the sales.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mayhaps Calders sold all the assets to some other company they own and will just leave CIG to "default" on all the pledges.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Or at least some insurance adjuster gameplay, something interesting FFS.

Brb getting an org member inside the insurance corps so we can commit systemic insurance fraud.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are we gonna get another July Blog?!

Two weeks

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

"Designed to facilitate emergent gameplay"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

All of the talk of *fidelity* has me daydreaming of making a game that does simulate every component of the ship, all the gas volumes in the rooms, etc, and only has a terminal interface. Even if I had the first bit of know-how to do such I can only imagine it would run at some horrific fraction of real time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Land claims to go with the outpost building ship, wasn't it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If a citizen is about to die the uec military use their special military tech to teleport to the scene, dispatch any hostiles, and resuscitate the citizen. It's the least they can do for those who've earned citizenship.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Wrr posted:

I've been slowly chewing through the thread, randomly jumping forward in time. Reading the posts from the citizens' forum where they're so in love with the idea of communities and helping others and helping the team reach dreams etc etc etc, its just. . . god, imagine if these people had real communities in their lives to take part in. One's that weren't preying on them and grifting them. Like, imagine if the atomization of society was not so complete that they had alternatives other than consumption of a weird pipe-dream to dedicate their time and energy to.

I'm pretty sure they've been chased out of any community they were in a position to be a part of.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I thought Cracked fired all its writers years ago?, and assumed it had folded by now.

Also that was pretty good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

...garbage that can't hold my attention for more than 50 hours. ...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cmdrk posted:

play Hide The Wine Glass

You'd think you could get that taken care of the future.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

trucutru posted:

Doesn't matter. The whole point of blockchains (and this is what makes libertarians cum buckets) is that they are (in theory) trustless: there is no authority you have to trust. Once your lovely NFT is in the blockchain then neither Ubisoft nor Tezos nor the FBI pedophile division can do anything about it, you're the one in control until someone guesses your HH1488Rulz! password.

Because in the case of video-games with an integrated connection to their blockchain a NFT does indeed show that you own a custom hat (or whatever) that can be used in the game. So you can sell that video game hat to whomever you wish, even if the game goes down or whatever (and if the blockchain goes down you can clone it).

All the blockchain stuff is dumb as gently caress but it does provide a way to create artificial scarcity for stuff that in naturally unlimited. The future is not Star Trek, the future is one where unlimited free energy and food replicators exist but people go hungry because the digital tokens that are required to access them are few in number.

If its anything like the NBA's NFTs and the like, the NFT doesn't show ownership of anything beyond itself, it just has an accompanying (revocable, nonexclusive, etc, etc) license for the custom hat in game. If the rightsholder ever decides to pull the license your NFT suddenly has nothing associated with it, though you still own the token itself. In theory, the rightsholder / originator could grant stronger rights alongside or attached to the NFT, but they ain't going to.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cmdrk posted:

theatre, opera, hide the wine glass, etc are all what middle-class forum dads believe actual rich people do, as evidenced by 20th century movies and television.

(pssst, you can go to the actual theatre in real life, it's not that expensive)

Yeah but if you don't have a private booth everyone there will know you're a poor.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

marumaru posted:

here it is. uncommented, unedited, real star citizen gameplay.

a little bit of context:
- i'm a very early victim backer, so i know my way around most things quite well. there's a lot of really common blunders that i'm already aware of and avoid.
- the ship i'm flying is one of the expensive, cool, new, multirole ones. starter ships are poo poo, unsurprisingly. some don't even let you carry crates into them. i don't know why i have this ship but i do, probably a bug leftover from the free fly event.
- i'm doing two of the missions i find most representative of average gameplay. one is a crate delivery mission, the other is a fps shooty mission. the two other activity "types" that i guess are big enough are shooting spaceships (you've already seen this a ton, i bet) and mining (it's incredibly tedious, requires special ships/vehicles for any real profit).
- my computer is pretty average, so i think it's a good example of what you can expect in terms of performance if you don't have a newer rig. 3700x/2070s/32gb 3200/nvme ssd. 1440p144 (lmao as if that matters for star citizen). recorded at 30fps, was averaging between 15-40 fps

video one: delivery mission. this is quite possibly the most ideal star citizen experience imaginable. it's the first time ive had this happen to me. empty server (which means *great* framerates/latency by star citizen standards) and very few bugs experienced. but not none. you'll see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wektXvS2OGs

video two: shooty mission. now here's something more realistic: bugs out of the rear end, mission can't be finished. i even try a known workaround (clipping into the spawn wardrobes) but no luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmERolhV9qY

After clicking through the first video for a couple minutes:

On the one hand, its further than I ever thought they'd get, on the other its got that shakey-ness endemic to early access games and its got it bad, the graphics seem like they're very nice textures on top of very dated geometry / construction (the half-dozen nearly identical snow pile objects and shrubbery brush don't scream verisimilitude fidelity), and that clerk model was like 2012 level at best. The interface just looked like an exercise in frustration. In conclusion, lmao at 'press rmb to take a sip, hold to keep drinking'. Does drinking even do anything? Do you die if you don't drink something regularly?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

marumaru posted:

Technically yes, but you will unironically never get thirsty or hungry because you're almost guaranteed to randomly die due to some unknown bug.
Not sure if you saw that part, but I suddenly tripped and started spazzing out on the ground, unable to do anything. That is almost always a guaranteed hard lock, and you have to suicide. I was pretty surprised when my guy got up. First time that ever happened to me.

I watched for three minutes determined to take in the real SC experience, looked at the video length again, and started scrubbing through. 25 minutes to deliver a box.....

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dwesa posted:

They're celebrating 'Luminalia' again

Buy some 'holiday merchandise' - same as regular merchandise, but what makes it 'holiday' is the need to pre-order it so it can arrive after holidays? Or who knows!

Oh and crobbler shaker to make your own Hairy Roberts!

Honestly, I think I'd rather have a JPEG.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You all are missing the bigger picture: this now means Molyneux has to deliver on a game to justify the NFTs.

Why would that be? He can take the money and run, they have their NFTs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

How is it mal-ware and what's the big deal, aside from them obviously making a back-door deal with Epic Games and not telling the backers about it

They've got dealings with Tencent, and thus are Chinese. For more info on these concerns see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Golli posted:

I haven't heard of this actually happening, but unless the "owner" of the asset makes an attempt to enforce the ownership by paying a lawyer to c&d or actually sue the 'right-clickers' then the right clickers can claim abandonment. If they do sue, then the "owner" gets to try and make the case to prove what actual damages the right-clicker has caused. I'm sure the lawyers love the prospect, but its pretty dumb otherwise.

If the 'owner' doesn't get the copyright to the image alongside the NFT then I wouldn't think they have the grounds for any redress. Ownership of an NFT != ownership of the image.

And theres no alt code for not equals :/

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 17, 2021