Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Game developers who look to Hollywood for inspiration should be sent to a gulag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Although I do remember being an idiot child in the 90's and thinking it would be really cool if the tech got better so games could be CINEMATIC and boy was I wrong. Cutscenes in games are agony to me. I kind of have a soft spot for cutscenes from games like SC, although they were used sparingly.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 24, 2019

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I know movies often give characters a chance to monolog but that SC2 ending was silly. Also kinda deflates all tension when you know someone in hulking armor is between the bullet and kerrigan the whole time.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Why would anyone want to explore boring procedural caves in a broke rear end piece of poo poo like SC when Deep Rock Galactic exists? This is the problem with trying to make your game do everything, none of the features are going to be particularly deep, innovative, distinct, or fun. Hmmmm, one game has a noticeable feel/style and lets my friends and I shoot hordes of bugs as a team of drunk space dwarves, the other has empty voids of nothing, bland milsperm graphics, and if I fire my gun at someone I'll noclip into the sun. Which one is more fun?

I know Kitchen Nightmares is reality TV and should not be taken as fact, but I love that garbage and one of the running themes to a lot of bad restaurants is bland food from having gargantuan menus. Oh yeah, we serve EVERYTHING but none of it is particularly good and our restaurant is right next to a bunch of places that serve much better versions of the same stuff for a similar price. Whhhhy are we going out of business??

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 28, 2019

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When I was in the Navy the standards were loooow and I can only imagine they've gotten lower.

Our fitness test was a 1.5 mile run, and as many pushups and sit ups you could do in 2 minutes. Minumums were based on age/gender and they were low. We took them every six months, and as a nerd who never excersized I managed to pass all of mine.

Good lord, how can you not jog a little over a mile?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Like half of them are Nazis or Alt-Right so kudos to Sandi and Chris for milking them for all they're worth. They're both scumbags but at least a good chunk of the people they're stealing from are worse.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So many of the complaints about GREEDY PUBLISHERS are from people who buy the same AAA slop over and over again.

Ugh, I HATE EA
*Something with Darth Vader on it is coming out
HERE'S EVERYTHING I HAVE
*DLC exists
loving GREEDY PUBLISHERS, THANKS FOR THE REDDIT GOLD EVERYONE

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

In a way, SC is like a few more years of game dev school for all the young people coming into the company, only they're getting paid for it. All the stress of making a game, but no actual game being made.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The terrible collectors accessories are my favorite part of these gaming flops. Remember the FO76 bag and whiskey bottle? It's always cheap plastic poo poo.

I knew two guys who always got the super special edition of every major release. Their house was littered with plastic garbage.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

All those super serious facial expressions and crossed arms for video games.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Can gamer goons stop acting like playing a shooty game is the same thing as hunting a wild boar with your bare hands?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Just lol at anyone who thinks the screenshots devs supply are close to the real thing. They're always taken in the best environments, with ideal hardware, some post processing, etc.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Games > Star Citizen: Given free money from a stranger and I love it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I love this AI

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

In the tabletop RPG community bragging about your game having "adult content" and being "for mature gamers only" usually amounts to sessions full of edgy stuff a 14 year old stuff would see as inherently more adult than the baby poo poo they used to like. So, lots of rape and violence for no reason. It's usually a huge red flag.

Glad to see the same trend applies here. All these mature and cultured adults who want refined rape and torture in their space sim.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Haven't played the yakuza games but I feel the same way about open world games compared to stuff like Dues Ex. I vastly prefer games like the latter, where you're tossed into a series of hubs that are relatively open, with multiple ways of solving problems or navigating the hub.

I'm so bored by all the open world stuff that amounts to trudging through samey scenery and (very linear) dungeons over and over with some MMO tier quests tied in.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Did the movement coach give Sandi any pointers so she doesn't look like a t1000 while portraying a mom?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Think about how much history and culture some cities alone have, and how long it would take for a writer to come up with the same thing from scratch.

Creating a living and breathing world with interesting content on a planetary scale is impossible. No writing team has enough time to fill a whole loving planet with deep and interesting content, let alone "hundreds"

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I ran into this while DMing Stars Without Number. It's the tabletop equivalent of what SC is trying to be; The DM uses dice to generate a big sci-fi sandbox for the players to explore and they decide where to go and what to do.

It's pretty hard to flesh out entire planets and that kind of prep would be totally useless most of the time because the party doesn't need to explore every inch of every planet. Instead, the planets are like setpieces for ideas, themes, conflicts, etc. What makes the sandbox fun is what the players decide to do about these encounters and how those actions bleed out into the universe as a whole.

Sandboxes don't need lots of detail, they need interesting problems that the players confront while pursuing their own goals, non-linear solutions to those problems, and factions above the players that react to those solutions or are interested in the outcome.

But so far we have "deliver boxes for creds oops you fell into the empty moon but boy is it big"

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I think SWN took at least some elements from Traveller didn't it? I used to play Traveller back in the day, it had a pretty decent system for generating planets and cities as I recall.

It does, but it's still fairly broad, planets kinda have a dominant biome/theme/culture because it would be insane to expect someone to flesh out dozens of planets with dozens/hundreds of unique cultures, countries, cities, etc. Star Trek, Mass Effect, and Star Wars kinda have a similar thing too. Planets usually have a dominant environment (lava planet, ice planet, jungle planet, desert planet) and a central species with a fairly homogeneous culture and language. Even in written fiction, where there are no budget constraints, planets and cultures are generally setpieces instead of totally fleshed out worlds with thousands of languages, hundreds of religions, etc. There just isn't enough time for anyone to develop something like that, nor would there be much of a point.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Hahaha that polo and hat look so cheap.
"Thanks for spending tons of money, here's a Sea Captain costume from Spirit"

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Maybe it's bad lighting but the gold on the collar looks closer to brown. They're trying to make it look Naval, right? What a dull color.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lmao this is awful.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Holy poo poo that was painful.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Janky FPS gameplay set to a loop of music, I was on the edge of my seat.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm still in awe of how many FPS drops there were in that gameplay trailer. Even janky games usually have deceptive gameplay trailers where stuff appears to be working.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Gonna need a clip of that trailer soon. I need to shoot it into my veins.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

TheAgent posted:

my god, he's walking the audience through this like no one has ever done objective type combined arms gameplay before

It's like someone giving a PowerPoint presentation for a battlefield mod.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lmao, here's some totally real anecdotes about how much everyone loves this heap of garbage.

*cuts to apathetic looking nerds

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Colostomy Space Man is killing me.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Still lolling at Not-Battlefeild being a stuttering mess.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Star Citizen: Chris Robert's is a Hot Bear

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Loving these janky Theater of War gifs. FPS games are a genre where everything "feeling right" is essential to having fun. Can't imagine tolerating any of that, especially paying to tolerate it.

250 million lmao.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

I must be missing the joke. My read on it: they're making fun of the outlandish claims of the first panel, and contrasting it to the claims of the second panel, which is to simply give players what they say they want without reinventing the wheel.

Is my read on this wrong?

I think it's "Look, the overlords are making ECONOMICS in their SOPHISTICATED game while the whole world is making GBS threads itself for PLEB TRASH."

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Warframe may be a constant grind but it knows what it is and it's a game that actually exists.

Now I want to play Warframe.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Capitalism has so thoroughly rotted our brains that people will willingly advertise and market a product in their spare time, and for free.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When Star Citizen was Kickstarted in 2012, WoW had been out for around 8 years. In 2020, Star Citizen will still be in Alpha and Wow will have aged another 8 years.

I dunno, just weird that the biggest MMO was only about halfway to it's current stage when SC was initially funded.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Star Citizen is a very compelling argument against the notion that people are rational actors who are always trying to save resources/money.

Turns out DREAMS and FICTION are more than enough to milk millions out of customers. You don't even need to produce results, you just need to sell DREAMS and tap into FOMO.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Chris Robbers had just finished personally rendering every hair on a space man's rear end in a top hat when he turned to Sandi and said, "You know, this looks really smooth."

He said that is a feeling he sometimes has about his work. He had just finished rendering an rear end. When Sandi wanted to know why, Robbers said, "It's kind of glistening to the touch," which she found adorable.

Advertisement

"I think most of the times I have made it to the end of a day and haven't really seen or felt anything,