Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Dynastocles posted:

Yeah that's the main issue with wanting a "realistic" vision of future space wars. Due to the distances involved and technology-driven changes in tactics, future war is probably going to be heavy on cyberattacks, radar jamming, and long-range lasers or missiles, and probably not involve much infantry.

You can see these trends even nowadays. Physical confrontations and casualties have reduced significantly in recent wars — compare 57,000 American deaths in Vietnam to just 4,575 in Iraq. The move towards drone strikes, quick attacks, special night operations, etc have changed war immeasurably, and that's just in the past 50 years. We don't fight 16th century-style wars, so why would 26th century people fight 20th century-style wars?

Current most realistic projection for modern space combat is going to be drones or missiles carrying shrapnel that will try to close distance at speed and shotgun into the targets or score a direct impact if armored. The only defense is launching your own and intercepting theirs with clouds of your own shrapnel from guns or what my traveller friends would appreciate, sandcasters. As neat as the expanse is, all the combat seen in that is orderd of magnitude closer than it would be, and it's already pretty far. Best weapon is a drive by vomiting of a bunch of drones.

That's something that Bobiverse got really accurate, and is likely the hardest space combat I've seen in any medium, including fringe games and other media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

jarlywarly posted:

A game that plays out like a mix of combat in The Expanse/Revelation Space/Sub Sim would be interesting. You need some proper game designer input though, kind of like how Klei nailed the real essence of squad turn based stealth'em ups in Invisible Inc. Not necessarily turn based but some sort of movement/battlefield information economy that allowed for bluffs/gambits and other sneaky type game play.

AURORA isnt what I'd call easy to deal with but it's pretty in depth. Its the hardest scifi 4x I know about at least.

Consider it the dwarf fortress of space 4x. But it doeant really have the adventure mode.