Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I haven't checked in on Star Citizen for years now. I wonder what's happe-

Thoatse posted:

Why did you give Kayak the Legman treatment you monster? :(

:stonk:

... so same as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nitehawknz/status/1291452387194834944

What an achievement, handing thousands to a conman and getting nothing! I've only ever succeeded in getting goods and services in return for money. :(

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"As so many others playing #StarCitizen I'm an old(ish) family man who was young when this started. I hope my grandchildren will one day be able to play this."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think my old joke in this thread was that there will be grown adults one day saying "Grandad, we know you've always loved space, so we've booked you a holiday on the moon! The rocket takes off in three hours!" and the grandad replying "I can't! I'm waiting for the 12.78Z patch to download, it'll change everything!"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Guys, I will be glad to financially dominate you.

I will promise you life in space for mere thousands of dollars at regular intervals and step on your face with a stiletto.

It's pretty much the Star Citizen experience. I'll even take some of your money and buy some random space-themes junk off of Turbo Squid and make Maya renders for you to jerk off to also.

Come on guys, hit me up! I could use a Porsche and a mansion! I'll even absolve myself now of my promises that you will live in space! This immediately puts me at like year 7 of Star Citizen development!

Ooh, that's it. Tell me I don't understand game development and call me a goon. :fap:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

You don't understand game development!

Filthy leaver!

Go back to your goon hive mind!
etc

And for more sexiness:
https://twitter.com/SpearmintVR/status/1291407315036495873

Nothing says "sexy" like details of passing a kidney stone. I hope Star Citizen will accurately simulate the formation of stones in people who don't drink enough.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are they making any effort to attract new... players? Suckers? at this point? Or are they just all in on milking the whales?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

Yes, that's why they immediately reacted to the news about citizens discontent as soon as it left the safe zones of reddit and spectrum.

They have adopted your basic F2P model where they know that, no matter how lovely the game is, a certain percentage of suckers will spend thousands of dollars as long as they play a few minutes. That's why the do free plays 3-4 per year.

Isn't the point of a normally F2P game that there's actually something of a game to play? I'm just not seeing how anyone can come to this mess now and think "Yeah, totally worth pumping money into."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nyast posted:

Some interesting comments about the state of the game on Spectrum:

quote:

Arena Commander was great back in the day - responsive flight, visceral combat. It was quick to get into the action and the core gameplay was enjoyable.

Really? REALLY?

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyjOwXnsgk

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 10, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

I’m loathe to give CIG any money, but I’d definitely watch the inevitable supercut of the game’s cutscenes on YouTube. I can’t wait to experience Chris’ terrible hack writing and directing completely unrestrained by a publisher or movie studio.

Basically :gary: :yarg: for a few hours.

e: Although someone has already improved the script.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4IFMdTY4U

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's for someone dying from the inevitable consequences of piracy.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I thought everyone knew The Agent was Erin Roberts?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

I'm glad after 5 years of posting this poo poo I'm finally getting qanon level people thinking I'm some kind of super insider dev and not some fat loving idiot that gets a bunch of fakey bullshit emails and posts them to a dead comedy forum
How the gently caress can anyone doubt this is Erin? Unless... it's Chris. :aaaaa:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

They should de-smeg the userbase, imo

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of money, did Lesnick ever do anything with all the Wing Commander cartoon garbage he had a fundraiser for?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

Do you really want to know what he did to it?
Kinda. I know how the board game one of the other former staff kickstarted ended: just made its goal, and now boxes of it full of archered art assets sit unopened in Citizens' cupboards. I don't know if Ben ever did anything with the boxes of literal garbage he paid something like $50k for.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stingtwo posted:

$10k https://www.gofundme.com/f/savewca and of course he's never done anything but jizzed all over the boxes of worthless content.

Ah, my mistake. $10k and apparently 50k pieces of "art." Have there been any SC-connected projects that have just succeeded out of wanting to spite those evil goons?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

lowtax drew spaceship jpegs for money for a while

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No he didn't. He was too loving lazy to even do that

Indeed. I was thinking more of projects that CIG/Roberts have given some backing to in some way. They were quite involved in that boardgame (some of the artwork was Crobbler and Sandi's heads archered onto sci-fi artwork), and I'm kinda suspicious that the Wing Commander cartoon crap might have been part of a payoff to make Lesnick leave. "Just gently caress off and we'll... I dunno, find you a load of Wing Commander material to play with. The guy who's got it now wants it out of the way, just claim that you need $10k to buy it and we'll promote the campaign."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

I'm sure a professional software developer will be on reddit within the next few hours to explain how this is entirely normal for a project of this size and ambition, and getting those jobs filled will be easy. After all, the best way to do things that have never been done before is to hire people who have never done anything before, which is why a CIG employee lineup these days looks like a high school class photo.

It's like how according to science, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it flies. People with no programming experience don't know what you can't do, so they do it. Star Citizen proves this logic.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are thirst mechanics a thing now? I am so out of touch with this poo poo.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pixelate posted:

Oh hell yeah. Toilet gameplay is only a matter of time.

Sometimes vendors aren’t able to sell drinks for some reason, so certain players are just dehydrating to death perpetually...

DYING OF DEHYDRATION, UNABLE TO BUY DRINKS OR FORCE RESPAWN

UNABLE TO BUY FOOD OR WATER

Does not surprise me one bit. Throwing more systems that don't work onto a "game" that doesn't work has been CIG's approach from the beginning. Why bother to build a proper foundation when you can just keep propping up the skyscraper with more and more scaffolding?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Is this drivel supposed to mean something?

That's a genuine question, not my summary of every CIG video.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

its kinda weird how oddly dead the chatter has been since 3.10 dropped. with 3.9 there was a lot more excitement going around, but now nobody seems to be playing or talking about it much

Sorry, been out of touch with this for a while, but are you saying they went from 3.9 to 3.10? Is that how version numbers normally work?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fargin Icehole posted:

This is what gets me because while he and his team set a big standard for space games with Wing Commander in 1990, the answer was Lucas Arts's X Wing, and later Tie Fighter in 93'.

I've asked this question before in the thread, and the Kickstarter, just like everything else has produced diamonds in the rough in an ocean of mediocrity.

For Koji Igarashi's success with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, you have an incomplete mismanaged money sink like:

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No 9

Yu Suzuki's Shenmue 3

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar

Yasumi Matsumo's Unsung Story

Chris Roberts's Star Citizen.

There is a common thread, these people are all known for their successes in the past, and they take what they knew what made them successful then and applied it to their game meant to restart their name and career, and all of the above, Even Bloodstained, had huge problems and delays, but only one was managed well.
It's almost like there's some reason studios don't want to hire them to make games. :thunk:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The soundtrack to any good trailer should immediately make you think of meatspin.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know. Between Star Citizen and 2020, I don't know who's joking or what a joke is anymore.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

It really weirds me out when you talk like their marketing is good and they play "mind games" that outfox the backers

It's not that the marketing is good, just that the backers are morons.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

Speaking of movies, has anyone here ever actually seen the Wing Commander movie? I spend a good chunk of time watching YouTube reviews of bad movies but I've never actually seen anyone cover it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEX02907nPY

Although I gather something happened with Spoony, so you may not want to watch if it's turned out he's a Nazi pedo or something. Can't be bothered to sit through long videos pontificating on what happened to some internet reviewer.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tindahbawx posted:

At this stage I'm genuinely wondering how many of the original patreon backers will just straight up die of old age before the game is done.
All of them.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This "Ghost" remake looks awesome. Is that Purrtrick Swayze?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There is always more and it is always worse.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A six shot grenade launcher? Truly, this is a weapon that could only exist nine hundred years in the future.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

We actually have some gadgets which are good for stealth and distractions they’re just not in 2.0 yet: we’re going through and reactivating and polishing them from Star Marine and they will also debut with Star Marine. But we have the hologram gadget where you can put up a hologram version of yourself and you can be off sneaking somewhere else. We are going to have definite things that will help you with hiding your radar and noise signature, or heat signature, and stuff like that. So we definitely want that.
So Chris had watched Total Recall the night before recording this. Cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqubhTODE-Q

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Ahh yes. The over-engineered gun lovingly made by artists Over the course of probably 2 and a half years featuring more polygons than some games have in their entirety.

But does it loving work in a game that's fun to play?

No. But it looks good. So I guess Star Citizen is saved. Go buy an Idiris. It also has polygons. I think.

Like everything in Star Citizen, it looks good if you don't know anything about the subject and don't think it about it. I've never touched a live gun, let alone a grenade launcher, but I've watched enough Forgotten Weapons videos and messed around with enough airsoft to know that thing is loving ridiculous. It's supposed to be nearly a thousand years in the future, and that's basically a Milkor MGL with a Deus Ex body kit. Using that in the year 2948 would be like the Marine Corps issuing slings and wooden shields today.

It does work as a good reminder that Star Citizen is fractally poo poo. It's poo poo as a whole, and you can zoom in on the tiniest fragment to find that is also poo poo. There is nothing good about it, no one knows what they're doing or why. There's no plan, just the coke-fuelled blusterings of a lunatic who managed to get his name attached to a couple of successful games two decades ago.

It's funny to watch though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

To be fair, a lot of games do that kind of stuff. The pump action shotguns in Halo and Doom fill me with indiscernible rage.

Sure, but Halo and Doom are pretty much "Let's do this because it's cool." AND THAT'S FINE. I have absolutely no problem with a videogame (or movie, or anything) saying "gently caress realism, we're doing something awesome." But SC has made such a big deal about realism that I don't think they get to go "gently caress it, just have this because it's cool, who cares if it makes sense for the setting?"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

It’s ACTUALLY 1.3 billion dollars because of the independent nature of the production. According to Chris, each dollar pledged is equal to four dollars of a publisher-run project.

That is the exchange rate that the Bank of England will implement after I kidnap their Roberts' sells Star Citizen to their Queen.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy in the middle is trying to kill himself with a plastic bag. An understandable response to Star Citizen, but you'd hope some of the other people there would try and stop him.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I remember the dreams of that character :lol:

And the funny part was that she was supposed to be very sexy and such but that face... it was not what I imagine they had envisioned. Unless they just spent all the model budget on her rear end.

They couldn't have made a face good enough to make up for her treatment of Jack.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Latest footage of SC dogfighting repair gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkdbqK4iUsU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Agree.

Bottom of the ocean it's where all the action happens.

Apart from Pod 6. Pod 6 are jerks.