Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Little taxxe for the new thread. :)

Thread punching above it's weight already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Caros posted:

I'm so confused. This was announced in 2012, meaning it is halfway to duke nukem forever levels of development hell.

Yet people are still paying thousands of dollars for spaceship jpgs? They are still announcing these jpgs? I just sort of assumed star citizen quietly folded up and went bankrupt around 2015. You are telling me this is still a thing?

I feel like I need to go lay down.

The answer to all these questions is, of course;

Yes. :thumbsup:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The setting is so generic that the backers have to stamp "Star Citizen" onto themselves or else they'd forget what cult they're in.

The crossbow casually clipping through the banisters is the second clue. :D

That picture is priceless, the more you look at it, the more you see. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I was trying to keep the thread SFW, don't wanna get a prob for posting a nude Tane...

Thread probably could use a printout of Oyster smiling.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

also lol if you do bad stuff you're gonna have to wait in jail or play a prison minigame

Prisons?

This is just so the weird backers can get some sort of 'bite the pillow' gameplay mechanic in there isn't it? :chloe:

Caves? As prison spaces in the far future of CR's 'vision'? I think even in 2019 there are reasons why they are not used as such. :shrug:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

free hubcaps posted:

idk if it’s been posted itt but the saddest/most infuriating star citizen thing I’ve seen was a cap of a forums post where the poster was clearly having a problem with impulse control/addiction to buying spaceship jpegs and I think said something about it seriously affecting his finances, it seemed kind of like a cry for help and the first loving reply was a mod or some other shill telling him to drown his sorrows by buying more spaceship jpegs.

I remember that, the enabler was telling the guy with the addiction problem that he should buy a ship with a hot tub to destress in lol. :facepalm:

During my time as a backer (my 'dumb' time), I had argued with that particular enabler as they didn't understand why having toilets and food related items/needs in a mostly spaceship combat game was dumb as gently caress. Not long after that, I became an goon :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Solarin posted:

You guys are thinking about Humility, the backer who posted that he basically buys ships he can't afford because he feels dead inside and has to hide it from his family. Ideally this is where mirificus posts the screen caps because it was a memorable moment in this poo poo wreck video game

Holy poo poo, it was Humility, you are correct. :) I hope he managed to get out of the con and get things back on track in his life.

Mirificus, do your thing dude. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ffs, "Luxury". One of those words that for some unknown reason, really pisses me off when it's used to describe something that in no way shape or form, can be described as such.

Where exactly does "luxury" come into pixels in any way? It's not a bar of loving soap or a particulary soft towel, it's a piece of really lovely code that doesn't work very well. No matter how 'pretty' something digital looks, it's never "luxury".

Star Citizerps are really loving weird and apparently, super easy to dupe out of even more money. :shrug:

890Jump and catte taxxe:

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 11, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

A commando asks: What do you do if SC doesn’t pan out and fails ?

Cultists:
oh, that what be a bummer but I don’t care and move on“

Don't kill me but... https://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d129e6/dont_kill_me_but/

Yeah sure, you just ignore having believed in all the lies for 7 years now just to shrug it off and don’t care! No question :D „Oh, private funders money of 250 Million was sunk in an underwhelming buggy techdemo after 7 years that can’t compete with stuff other studios have developed with 15 people in 2 years, but that’s okay! I thought it might work after all!“

Not only are they accepting CIG lies and fakevideos, they are lying to themselves, hence their sunk cost psychological behavior and mindset. :allears:

The denial and ignorance of that guys is amazing, please keep on funding that trainwreck, I would really miss that entertainment tbh and watching SC and SQ42 not meeting even 10% of the milestones in 2020 and 2021 as well.

They are being led by the thought process of "What if it works out and is everything it's supposed to be?", and by doing so they are completely forgetting Crobblers+co track record on just developing SC alone. There is no way it'll work out the way it's been promised/said to go, the commandos think there is a possiblity of it becoming exactly what CR says he wants it to be.

Star marine is an absolute guide to how the rest of the game will end up, shown to be kinda cool, hyped to buggery, forgotten, then walked back, scrapped and replaced by generic crap, then left as a shining example of the bigger picture. Every part of SC has been handled in the exact same way so far.

CR's 'how to' do vidya gamez:
Hype a thing to buggery and back, take a load of money for it,
Showcase a concept image or vid of the thing and take lots of money,
Forget about it for a while (usually when it should be released),
Go back to working on thing but throw everything out and redo but with shittier everything,
Hype the gently caress out of thing yet again, add new ways to spend money,
Forget what people gave you money for,
Release thing in a godawful state nothing like how it should be,
Completely forget about thing and do something else,
Take more money, hype everything.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 11, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm curious what they will call this tech. "Localized ship containment system"?

"Server side local object coupling anchor point antijank reinforcement system"

Or, "sticky feet" to go with "grabby hands".

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Friends, the Warlord hasn't forgotten us. The checks are coming along with some great new posts. 2 weeks. 90 days tops. How do I know? I was behind the delivery truck today.

You can tell that is the official FUD truck because it has a working cargo ramp. :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Bootcha posted:

Where is my mind?

Literally :perfect:

This, is art.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Low hanging fruit I know, but does this guy even know what the 'shift' key on the keyboard is for?

Seems like the kind of person who wouldn't normally hesitate to use 'caps lock' at any chance, so I wonder why he's so shy about capital letters.

Don't even get me started on him starting a sentance with 'but', or even the lack of commas.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

You can fit the whole of Skyrim into a crater in SC.

You can fit the entirety of SC's gameplay content into one of the small empty food bowls in Skyrim.

:shrug:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

This is honestly the absolute best timeline.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I like how they got both Masterchief and Ironman in the same shot. :thumbsup:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Bottom right, thats one of the hoverjet thingys out of "Avengers Assemble" and "The winter soldier" isn't it?

Looks exactly like one tbh. :shrug:

Quinjet concept image:

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 18, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Why does he remind me of :

It might be the gross "energy" drink I guess. Or, that he's basically sacrificing integrity for money.

Meh.

E: Energy drinks are loving nasty, don't drink them.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 18, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Holy lol, a bunch of freaking holograms salute your box-man when you leave the base. Roberts must be having an aneurysm. Poor developers will have to implement saluting holograms for the decks of the big ships now.

"Your packages will get damaged if you trip, be careful" :laffo::laffo::laffo:

During the playthrough, Sam went into a river to wade across as a short cut, it turns out that unsecured packages on your rig can be unbalanced and fall off/get caught by the water and get swept or float away. Detail with purpose, detail with consequence, detail as an actual working feature!

Crobblers must be livid. :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

There's 0 chance the original callsign wasn't a Top Gun knockoff though.

Legend has it that he originally wanted to his handle to be "Goose", but his close proximity to Strangli meant not referencing long necks for fear of another 'incident'.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

8 years in and still slaves to feature creep. (Seriously, where the heck did 'mining on foot in SC' come from?)

It's never going to end and it's hilarious. :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm really starting to see why Crobberts said that Star Citizen could never be developed for a console, it's not processing power, it's just that the project out lives any console it could possibly be developed for.

To show an example of just how glacial Crobblers works bear in mind that Planetside 2 was recently released when the SC (already a year into dev) kickstarter began, and doesn't Planetside 2 seem so very fresh and new nowadays (lol):D

Zaphod42 posted:

And MGS5 development would have gone on another 4 years if Kojima could get the funding to run away with it.

But it would still have released this year, wayyyyyy ahead of Crobblers cobblers. :D

Directed by Hideo Kojima

Produced by Hideo Kojima

Written by Hideo Kojima

Hideo Kojima

Hideo Kojima

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

They made the caves super dark for those people who love lurking in shadows, with lust on their minds.

Rapey caves are in!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Awesome death robot of many spinny blades was called "Maximillion" if my memory serves. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I love the way Star Citizens go after these sites, they immediately attack the author, pointing out any grammar or spelling mistakes.

It's almost as if they know they're being swindled, but raging on anyone pointing it out is much easier than just admitting the whole thing smells like the 'goods inwards' laundry cart in an old peoples home.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

spoiler: It is Crobbor, the vaporware pokemon!

Time for battle Crobblermon go! Wallet attack!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Ultimately it doesn't matter if Elite was in development for 200 years. It's a game, it came out. Star Citizen is poo poo, it will always be poo poo, whether it took 10 years to make or 10 minutes or 10 centuries. I'm not sure I understand the zero-sum approach here. Elite is not Star Citizen. Elite was developed by game developers. Star Citizen is failing to be developed by a team of green barely-game developers headed by a guy who, sadly, descended into a career fraud. Comparing Star Citizen to any legitimate game is disingenuous on the face of it. The poster's intent isn't to compare development times; the intent is to get people accustomed to hearing Elite and Star Citizen being compared to each other to imply they are contemporaries.

They are not. It's just one more way Star Citizen keeps trying to rub elbows with real games hoping some of that legitimacy rubs off on them.

Scruffpuff posted:

This is what makes their failure so delicious and nutritious. Chris Roberts insulted every publisher, developer, and game out there, talked up his game to impossible levels, then made something so bad that to this day, despite 8 years of evidence and having personally experienced it, I still can't really believe it. It's the best karma blowback I have ever seen, and the explosion taking insufferable cultist pricks with it is just icing.

:boom:

Could not agree more. :thumbsup:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot of star wars is WW2 in space, but they at least changed a lot of things that obviously have to be changed.

Roberts though, with his Wing Commander script, proves that he literally just thinks of existing WW2 plots and drops them wholesale into space with zero consideration for how space will impact war or military.

Gotta push the ship off the space aircraft carrier's landing deck!

Sssshhhhhh, we must remain silent while the Kilrathi carrier flies over us in case they hear us in the vacuum of space and attack.

That bit might have actually broken my brain a bit when I watched it, once.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

If toejam's going to label everyone in a group by using one example then, :shrug:

There is at least one of them who is a convicted child molester/peadophile.

Not really a good idea to judge entire groups based on the few tbh is it Toejam?

(Thats as far as I'm going with that due to the disgusting nature of the subject)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 24, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

I've got a criminal record.

Don't laugh, but somewhere in my attic, I'm pretty sure I have that record. :eek:

I definitely have a couple Freddie Starr albums and at least one by the Crankies. All were bought while intoxicated sometime in the mid 90's though and I distinctly remember a very amused shopkeep happily taking my lager soaked money. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

BEHOLD! Optic Blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mM0PqY4Sk

Sixty nine hours and thirty three minutes.

If you want more content there are other people that do similar stuff but crouching, crawling, etc.

I think for stuff like that, point in desired direction and a small weight on the 'W' key then just leave the computer to do its thing is the only sensible way. Imagine sitting there for that long, just watching it scroll by, it would turn people insane. :eek:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

The lowest price on discogs.com for this release is $0.43 USD. The median sold price was at $1.12 USD.

What the hell is this?

EDIT:taxxe

To answer your question, it's basically Hell in vinyl form, an sample thusly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Oh I think people will know when the veil gets lifted, this isn't it :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Based on skimming that fawning Newsweek article (lol) it seems like its gonna be seriously undergunned but tbh you can pull people out of quantum in a 10,000-20,000 meter sphere and it's entirely passive (it charges up and deploys, like the EMP) so your victims cant do anything about it aside from find you and kill you. Its gonna be a nightmare lol.

That's exactly what SC, the 'game' reknowned for it's laborious travel times and arduous waiting times needs, a player bought, soon to be flyable, inconvenience to travel. :thumbsup:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

counterpoint: in a game where you can not leave preset quantum travel routes setting up a bubble on one and using it to completely break the game as the physics engine turns itself inside out is going to be loving hilarious.

Lets not be shrinking violets about this, it's not even in the game yet and it's already loving hilarious. :D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

iron buns posted:

That sounds like something Chris Roberts would write.

It does tbh. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

:eyepop: Did Toejam just perform an incredibly high backflip with a flurry at the top and then come down at terminal velocity landing balls first on the balance bar, a leg either side, and then not even notice?

loving outstanding.

Kosumo posted:

6600 pages to go.

Surly we can make it this time.

I'm doing my part :thumbsup:

We just need to sell more jpegs to fund it. :)

Mirificus posted:

Toejams impressive display of stupidity.

loving amazing, why is he like that? Seriously lol

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 24, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Hard to tell. Something enormously complex that's taken the manpower of half their studio for 6 months without ever once registering on the roadmap, would be my bet.

I'm thinking multiple new systems and "Exploration" gameplay, i.e. traveling to the multiple new systems.

I reckon there'll be some sort of huge build up of hype and expectation with very few spoilers or clues, everyone will watch with baited breath as CR, barely containing his own excitement and dribbling profusely, does the finger point to the vid tech guy and stammers the words "Um so yeah, ahhh, roll it".

Then as the dark screen behind him slowly starts to come to life, the crowd of super nerds, clutching their 'not at all' limited edition SC tankards of factory made powered orange flavoured squash drink and visibly shaking, await the beauty of CR's "vision". Tears of joy well up in the eyes of absolutely all who witness the unfolding event, including us, here.

CR's eyes grow large, almost anime-like in appearance, from the screen, light bursts into the venue causing all to squint. "LOOK ON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!!" CR bellows, slowly, the crowds eyes adjust to the scorching light, the Goons watching from afar are lost for words, there are no words. The majesty of the spectacle is overwhelming.

The screen shows, the cafeteria scene, a commando jitters to a chair and falls though it, the proceedural eggs are floating high above the frying pan, a T-posing commando in the background spins on the spot. It is glorious.

Buy all the Idris.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Kosumo posted:

not empty quoting

Can't argue with that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, even if the start of development on the latest Elite can somehow be counted from Mr Brabens first mention, it wasn't funded by selling fictional jpegs and empty promises to members of the public constantly over the course of it's dev time, it was funded by the success of previous Frontier dev games and actually released as a very playable game avaliable for professional games/software critic and player based reviews.

Basically, what I'm saying is, Elite wasn't a full on attention seeking money pit using "charitable donations in exchange for lofty promises" from the gullible and easily swindled public. (Yes I know Elite had a kickstarter, but the game is released, kickstarter peeps got their game and it ticked all the boxes it said it would imho)

For SC fan redditors and any shills reading who fail to grasp the responsibilities and burdens of failure;

Elite = Privately funded via either profits of previous products or companies own pocket = Take as long as you want, it's your project, no public money or goodwill at stake. The company carries the burden of loss in the event of failure.

SC = Funded from the public via promises and encouraging people to spend = You are open to critism by the public, it's the publics project, get a loving move on. The public carry the burden of loss in the event of failure.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 25, 2019