Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

trucutru posted:

The great wheel of Shitsara, according to the backers.

This is so perfect, bravo undercover goon. You are doing god’s work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

Really though? I don't think my heart can handle this revelation.

While that is prime rubbing material, I find it difficult to believe.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

That Death Stranding demo was amazing.

They put so much attention into detail, yet nothing looked remotely fun. The baby stuff was creepy and so pointless, plus combat was laughably bad... hold on, is this the "successful" version of Star Citizen?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Iceclaw posted:

But what is the real expert's opinion? What does Lethality thinks about it?

That project is too real to fall under his scope.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I started a new char in Fallout 4, fully modded, with all DLCs and the unofficial patch, to see how the extra content looked.

Then I soon found myself reading all dialogue fast, but skipping the recorded voices. Every time i'm clicking to skip and the char is like "uh-huh, uh-huh", I remember Chris Roberts' magnum opus and its endless mocapped scenes. I'm completely unable to grasp how pointless it all is.

Then again, i'm a gaming dad without time for nonsense, so SC/Squadron 42 are definitely not for me.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

What is the ship buying stuff supposed to look like, supposedly, when this game...ahem..."launches"? Like, if a ship costs $800 of real world dollars, but another player can earn it in the same time an Elite player can earn, say, an Anaconda, won't the $800 dollar poorer person be both poorer and mad? And if the $800 ship is a totally awesome ship worth the price...somehow....isn't that the absolute worst form of pay to win? I'm not sure I understand the intent.

Well, Chris Roberts already waved this problem away. There is no winning in Star Citizen, you win by having fun.

Check-mate, you are dismissed FUDster.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Lladre posted:

That was a lot of words that one guy typed to try and justify his poor decision in buying thousands in ships.

Yeah, I always read his diatribes as "I'm not scammed, I'm not scammed! You are scammed!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

rePool posted:

Maybe it's my embarrassing 2 or 3 thousand hours of playtime from the 2.6 days but an avenger chasing a bucc? They have it all wrong, don't make me go all fanboy on that dumb image!

And we get a new community manager to do the weekly write-up. The turnover on those must be insane.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

How can you play chess with a set where all the pieces are the same colour?!

How can you play chess with those wavy hands? The man never played chess in his life.

Or maybe it's just lighting making them look the same.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

LMAO , loving Annabelle, always present to whip the hype train up.

Steampunk lol

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Probably a fake account

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I agree the whole negative latency thing sounds like BS marketing, but we gotta admit that Google has certainly innovated more than CI so far.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Pixelate posted:

The best citizen, ever since he was a little boy...

I don't have proper clearance to find out who it is, but bravo, whichever goon did this.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

It's amusing to watch Charlie Hall change over the years. He used to be a massive shill for SC, to the point where Derek went full warlord on him. At this point, he probably realized how pointless internet fights were, since SC would never release anyway, so he went silent for a while.

Now, he eventually drops a completely tone deaf article about SC new features, without anything positive or negative about. It's almost like he is doing the bare minimum to be able to claim they still cover SC.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

And that Cold dude... man he is definitely a goon, he should be writing dreams.txt in the thread instead.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

It's the stupid vanduuuuuuul ship that looks like a sword.

Paging Sarsa to the thread for his funny ship descriptions.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Is Star Citizen not poo poo yet?

Yes, we are all playing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNuu4dxu4Rw

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah they've done that multiple times. Completing Arena Commander is actually really hard because of all the glitches and poo poo that can go wrong, but for a long time if you did you unlocked the ability to buy a worthless alien fighter for like 300 bucks. Exclusive!

You can't make this poo poo up. Thanks CI, you guys are the best.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: Oh and veteran players who want the exclusive spacesuit who will probably buy the Aurora and then do the upgrade just for the spacesuit

Yeah this is probably it. Whales have most ships already, they don't care about the Aurora or the Mantis, their underlings drive those.

Whales are going to be captains of their whale fleets, sitting in the bridge of big chariots, and they need to look special with unique/limited space suits while doing it.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I actually prefer Squadron 54, it's original at least.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Mozi posted:

"Mark, any comment on Squadron 42?"

"Oh yeah, that game - didn't that come out a couple of years ago?"

As someone mentioned, he probably expects some royalties from the game, so he should be tracking it.

The plot, name and lore, though, are so derivative, he probably forgot what it's about already.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

*In a clown's voice*

But actually it didn't even enter pre-production until late 2016 after the developer finished the giant expansion for their world-renowned previous game. In just 3 years they've taken it from concept to completion including multiple demos of actual vertical slices and it is looking on track for release next year.

Yeah well, you will find that CIG is actually developing two AAAAA games at the same time. So check mate FUDDY goonie :smuggo:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I've finally got around to watching Das Boot and it's pretty dope, I highly recommend it.

I also got extremely hyped for Squadron 42, where legendary game developer Chris Robers will hopefully re-create WW2 submarine warfare in the vacuum of space.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Hav posted:

Details, details.

February 5th 2013
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

Worth a read for the comparison to the progress they've achieved in six years.

I'm surprised they haven't taken this down like the other design pages. Like, 99% of this stuff is still inside CR's head only.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

eXXon posted:

No, Demon's Souls had a world 'tendency' that got darker (meaning harder enemies) every time you died. The first level also had an enemy that could kill you in one hit - not hidden or anything, just there if you chose to turn left after crossing a bridge instead of the literal right way. It was a sadistic piece of poo poo game.

I especially loathed those stupid crystal lizards that spawned once in a playthrough and had some random damage resistance, requiring a very specific strategy to kill them. That meant you either cheated and read a wiki ahead of the encounter, re-rolled or tried again in NG.

Come to think of it... it's perfect for Star Citizen. I hope CR manages to implement it, but that seems like a longshot at this point.

JugbandDude fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 31, 2019

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Loved the Citcon shitshow, so boring and janky.

My favorite part was the NPC guard clipping through the door and the player desperately moving the camera away to hide the fact they still can't get doors to work.

Around 53:40 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCDOM2UULhE&t=3219s

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

colonelwest posted:

It’s strange that someone hasn’t done it. ED is probably as close as we’ll get to a modern AAA space sim for a while, but that game was made on a middling budget and it shows. But maybe they think the numbers just aren’t there, even COD:IW underperformed by series standards, and the rest of the genre usually hangs around 2-3 million sales.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Starfield. If the rumors are true, it’s development is way behind schedule because Bethesda can’t get spaceflight to work in its ramshackle Creation engine (a big surprise). Maybe they’ll scrap the space stuff entirely and just have an on foot sci-fi RPG like The Outer Worlds. Mass Effect:Andromeda was originally going to have procedural planets and some light space flight, but it was scraped due to time constraints and their inability to actually make all of that procedural nothingness fun.

The sad part about Star Citizen is that no one is ever going to be given 300 million dollars to make a space sim again; and we’re only left to imagine what competent devs could have done with all of that money and 8 years.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 seems to be stuck in development forever as well.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

DapperDon posted:

Folks, I think they have found actual gameplay here.

https://twitter.com/TheAstroPub/status/1216032496019759104?s=20

Funny how it's just a black and white slideshow to conceal the jank... or maybe he is just trolling us. This is the beauty of Store Citizen, you can never tell.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

his nibs posted:

lol

THE NUMBER ONE QUESTION ON SPECTRUM

(that was appropriate for the show)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/537474903?t=00h22m28s

Anybody asking about SQ42 is a filthy fuddy fudster

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I'm still kinda divided on the trial.

While I'm rooting for Crytek, I wouldn't mind if they were cryRekt. CR would lose a golden way out of this mess and the poo poo show would continue for longer.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I believe cultists using the term FUD consider Star Citizen a certain hit, it cannot fail. So when they hear us fuddy fudster challenging that assumption, we are instilling fear, uncertainty and doubt in their minds.

Some of them also believe we have been trying to cause a refund cascade, instead of just laughing at a bad non-videogame. So in their minds, our FUD is supposed to drain the project of funds and cause it to collapse.

Of couse this is all crazy talk, since CR said they had enough money to finish SQ42 back in 2016 or something and all know CR never lies.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Maybe I'm missing what's novel about this. Plenty of games let you walk around your ship. In Subnautica it was practical and you could build or place stuff inside the ship you eventually built. Is it just the aspect of being in transit and still able to walk around ship?

Those games lack fidelity. If they have fidelity, they don't have all features Star Citizen has will have some day.

You need to learn game development. Star Citizen never loses.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Why do you need a med-bay? Can't you just stab your space suit with the med pen?

Or are we talking about medical gameplay v1 now?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

It is me, a small indie company fighting the big evil publishers, with my full-time barista and executive assistant to manage meetings/emails, answer calls and book travels for all super busy C-level executives.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And this was in 2015, at which time they were barely scraping by with crowdfunding of - let me check my notes - one hundred million dollars.

When you think about 6+ legal team, barista, executive assistant, art, lore, animation, sound teams, it's not hard to picture where the money is going.

I like to compare this to Paradox, which was a small self funded developer for a long time. Even after releasing several successful titles and becoming a publisher, they still ran a very tight ship, to the point where they openly admitted selling separate DLC to fund specific art teams that could not be funded by regular game sales.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I hope Arf shows up as well. I have been calling my parents regularly and being a good son.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

It's amusing they spend 6 weeks doing planning, but still cannot publish anything resembling their internal roadmap.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

To give an outside perspective, I was never into flight or space sim games as a kid, and even I heard a lot about how good the X-Wing games were, particularly Tie Fighter. I think I might have heard the name Wing Commander a few times, but all I knew about it was that it was that game with the weird cat guys.

Back in the early 90's, all games took a while to reach my country.

While I was playing mostly SNES, I started to dabble with my parent's 386 here and there. I got into it with Test Drive and also remember buying a Flightstick Pro specifically for X-Wing on my first PC. So I believe I was late for the Wing Commander party, plus had plenty of other excellent games to keep my attention. So none of the WC sequels really caught my attention back then.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

DapperDon posted:

Does this janky rear end star citizer universe only have moons in their solar systems? Lots and lots of moons, but yet no planet, no lifeforms, nothing. Just one more thing NMS beats them at I guess.

It's also amusing their big highlight is concept art development in year 8 of development. I mean, shouldn't all of this be locked already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

On games that exist, I'm really enjoying Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus.

I'm not a huge fan of Warhammer 40k, yet the over the top culture makes me chuckle. Going past that, the game itself has great design and engaging leveling/combat mechanics.