Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Shiny thread.

Dogeh posted:

Are we still doing taxxe?

YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

They'll just keep making excuses for their Dear Leader, won't they?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

That's loving rich, their mission givers have been lagging for years, even before they began to focus on S42 (after tossing - apparently - everything into trash), and people are expected to believe that they'll have "NPCs referencing your S42 military log" or whatever.

Who am I kidding, of course the hardcore will believe that.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

You can't convince some of them. They will say "but that was before the other thing", and then you show that in fact, it wasn't, and then they say well it doesn't matter, you can't hold him to it, projects get delayed anyway. He wasn't lying or incompetent, he was just overly optimistic.

I'm like, 5 years (or whatever), that's a bit more than overly optimistic, its just plain wrong.

And despite many times pointing to Chris' statements about the votes, and how the increased funding would not delay release, i've never had one backer acknowledge that, even when i've linked the source and quoted the statement. Its like mental blind spot for them, they just can't see those words.

I mean, its not like they have to give up their belief that SC will be a good game. All they have to do is say "yeah, he screwed up with that statement" and it would show they acknowledge they made some misleading statements, and therefore understand why some of us have concerns about their marketing and ability to deliver.

EDIT: actually that part about having NPCs referencing your SQ42 mission log shouldn't really be that hard. I'm sure CIG will try and make out like its some herculean task and invent some new word for how it happens, but at the end of the day it would just be a simple lookup function.

Some of them have probably convinced themselves that it's all normal because GTA V took eight years (to release, not to reach this level of janky poo poo and not asking for handouts to fund development - unless releasing GTA IV was "asking handouts"), but I suspect many are simply staking their whatever passes for reputation in their minds and won't admit to any CR's weaknesses beyond those which are really, you know, positive aspects (perfectionism, optimism, etc.). They can see what they've got, and for one reason or another they cannot back down.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I too like to call release dates "not actual dates".

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Zzr posted:

Well they call their nogame a game too.

And also the best ever non-game although it cannot be judged or criticized because it's an alpha (but it's still more enjoyable than anything).

Goddamn those people are intellectually dishonest.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Riiiiiigghhht. S1r must be trolling hard.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm getting marketing vibes off this rant.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I heard they fired the guy who wrote BL2 and made it funny. Is the new one funny?

None of them were ever particularly funny, so yeah. And no. It's BL 2.5.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Star Citizen: Quite the Game

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

What is this, a cult of (zero) personality? "The project is a loving disaster but it's OK cuz the main man likes to sign stuff and give taxi money - generously, of course, he's such a great guy - to folks staying too late."

I am feeling doubts about the veracity of S1r's ramblings.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

tuo posted:

I made a thing

It is a good thing.

Tithe:

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 20, 2019

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

rePool posted:

Can I also hold him responsible?

I think Tojal needs just to be held. He seems very... unhappy.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

If pretty much all of SQ42 got thrown out, does that include most of the 'scenes' the actors mocapped all those years ago? Was all that money wasted?

Of course it wasn't wasted. CR got to hang around with Hollywood royalty and be a director, living the high life and basking in the adulation of thousands of people.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

He seems legit and also exceptionally clever. Such a diamond of a human being.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
My standards are really low but even I've managed to avoid Fallout 76.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody who wants actual earth sized earths doesn't understand what that means. To make it fun and not a boring simulation of copy pasted cities, you need to have smaller planets and like 1 big city per planet, not thousands.

Subsumption AI will obviously build missions and plotlines, design the cities and if S1rbullshitsalot is to be believed, probably codes the rest of the game.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

stingtwo posted:

I hate this line "No, it's your fault. Do the groundwork, know what you are getting into. Remove yourself from the lame 'blame game' you all like to indulge in."

When a Company like EA or Activision lies about something in their new game, 1st day players find out and will point it out and new or soon to be players have the info nice and quick to either jump at a refund or look elsewhere, No Man Sky didn't last 3 days with it's multiplayer lie. With Star Citizen, you can't get a scope of whats actually exists because not only is the company lying, the backers do as well and once the non believers find out the info is bogus, are shot down as FUDsters or told they didn't do due diligence on the state of the game.

Almost feels like this Huxley character is in someone's pocket. However, I find it more believeable that they're simply a nasty piece of work.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

They've just replied again. Interestingly enough, they acknowledge that both SC and SQ42 won't be out for years yet.

That much they have to say because it is so glaringly obvious that SC is far from done, this living, breathing universe where a single mission giver takes years to build.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Chris almighty, why the gently caress do they have to use that rendered POS of a menu? They could, I don't know, have a hotkey, such as 'E', that grabs the thing/opens a context menu where you can then tap 'E' again to pick it up (since apparently all you do in SC is carry some goddamn boxes around).

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Great community, I'm so proud.

They sound like third-rate politruks.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
That still seems like a really, really bad deal.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
GOTY.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

zebedy posted:

gently caress me, this excuse again. They've said this exact loving thing non-stop for the last 7 years. It's like some secret mantra or magic spell used by idiot citizens.

The Tools are the citizenry's Wunderwaffen.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Ah, the other mainstay in the Citizen Defence Rulebook: nonbelievers don't know how games are made, because they criticize Star Citizen. Thus their critique is invalid.

Tossers.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

demo vs. delivered feature, exibit A: weather effects

Promise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4MWOtJMXIc&t=2444s

Delivery: https://streamable.com/ml4bf

"Delivery" looks like SweetFX-shaded Skyrim. Blizzard? With like a dozen snowflakes visible at once? Gots to be early days tier-0 implementation.

ED: The snowy planet is fairly decent (in that tiny video) and the draw distance is nice, maybe SC will find its niche not as a space sim per se, but as a Best drat Traveling Simulator Ever.

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 3, 2019

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

The Titanic posted:

If you believe you're not funding the Hollywood joy ride for a small group of undeserving people, you could go to the horrible doxxer site know in the dark side of the internet as "IMDb.com" (but you'll probably be put on a few watch lists if you go here!!!) and dare to type in Sandi Gardner and view her astonishing list of movies she's been in while also being the VP of marketing for CIG!

Ah, but she's also exec producing this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5561564/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_1

I think it'll be objective and unbiased.

ED: taxing

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

The silence about SQ42 is deafening.

If the roadmap is accurate or even somewhat close, they really don't have anything to show or talk about SQ48 (and it isn't bringing in any money - all the ships sold pledges made are for the PU).

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Hav posted:

Edit: regarding the inevitable EGS discussions that zaphod is fond of, I finally breached my ‘virginity’ for the Paranoia rpg, proving that my resolve is a soft and flabby thing.

We all have our price. Is it any good? I'm entirely unspoiled about Paranoia, but the tabletop thing went rather chaotic for us, so it'd be interesting to see how it works.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Inacio posted:

chris roberts is truly a genius. gently caress carmack more like carHACK am i right did he invent this technology?? huh? didnt think so
the most loving immersive space dom sim ever no game has EVER done this BEFORE

They'll have to take what they can get, poor people.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It looks blobersian all right.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Tippis posted:

…I also want to chime in to bring up that the number of space sim games he's previous made is… <drumroll> two. And they're pretty much the same game.

He was involved in a couple more, but not in a way that really made them “made by” him.

I'd say the couple more games were made despite his involvement.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

skeletors_condom posted:

AFAIK, it's unplayable on M+KB and the devs have a attitude that this is not a big deal.

It's made for gamepad and the devs recommend that, but it's ok with m+kb.

E: so late.

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2020

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Well duh, it brings them all together of course.

The problem is, both Star Marine and Arena Commander failed in what they were meant to do. They still can't decide on how the flight model should behave and the shooter side is still crap compared with the real FPS shooters out there.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recklessly declare that this is because CR can't design a game to save his life, and nobody else has had sufficient authority to do anything unless everybody is sure Chris approves. Organizational paralysis great stuff; everything is ultimately dependent on a guy who runs off to Monaco or keeps fiddling with shoelaces.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Truly open development

Well it is, because Chris said so. There is no doubting Chris.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
The plot is dull, but if the game was solid, and writing and pacing decent, it'd do its job.

Unfortunately none of those things apply to S76.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Try finding common sense in religion.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

This whole project is about playing pretend at every level.

Except for the money spent, not a lot of pretending there...

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It's a series of puffs of hot air from CR while giving an interview. Pure theorycrafting which ended up being published instead of in a subreddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Kevyet mullat, Don.