Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
This thread is good for Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

Gotta admit, I thought ResetEra would be smarter than that, but I am disappointed once again. I kinda forget that it's ostensibly a gaming forum as I only post/read in the retirement investing thread and the canadian politics one.
Now I'm going to get stuck in another star citizen thread.

Ha, ResetEra, the forum filled with insane people who see toxic masculinity and the patriarchy everywhere, with mods that will ban you for arguing that Catherine isn't a transphobic game.

Quite funny to see people there being actual SC fanboys, the cognitive dissonance must be hard for them when they encounter the rest of the community, or when they read the unironically fascist lore.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah, you sound like the kind of person that unironically calls other people 'snowflakes' or 'sjws'. ResetEra being a haven from the usual gamergater-type gamer behavior and views is a point in its favor, not a negative.

No, I'm just old and mature enough to notice the insanity on both sides of the spectrum.
And I find it particularly tasty that a forum of self proclaimed progressists is full of backers from a community where unironical nazis, and people wanting a rape gameplay loop is common place.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

My favorite part is "if it wasn't for that toxic endless crunching culture at CIG, those lazy devs would be twiddling their thumbs".

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

"Work well in a cooperative environment" being said twice in the skills section after they corrected it once already, because some randoTwitter noticed that their offer's deadline was in June. CI not G professionalism never disappoint.

Or maybe it's intentional, "working well in a cooperative environment" being corporate talk for "we'll suck your blood dry and you won't be paid overtime". It really needs to be stressed twice.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

SoftNum posted:

Just for funsies:

Camelot Unchained is technically in alpha, and is something on the order of four years late. the latest update talks about 6 engineers looking at pathfinding code.
Ashes is dead afaik.
Elyria is still vaoprware but realistically it's only been 3 years. OFC that's still 2 years late but.
Crowfall seems to exist? It's like 4 or 5 years late but maybe there will be a game?
Repopulation apparently dumped poo poo alpha out the door in 2016 and nobody has heard from them since. You can go buy it EA on steam.
TUG was abandoned in 2017 and became a chinese mobile game.
Embers is SUPER dead. like they don't even own the domain for the last 5 years dead.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2015/12/certain-customers-spell-doom-for-new-products/

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Need more suggestions, there are a few that aren't displayed in the above

"Huuuuuh".
"Don't show that splash screen".
Cringe scripted dialogues during a "100% genuine un-scripted and real time" demo.
Uncontrolable laughters from people on Derek Smart's discord during Chris keynote.
The Expanse archering.
Engine switch.
FOIP hilarity.
E.L.E.
Heat death of the universe.

I'm gonna drink-play that bingo. RIP me.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 2, 2019

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Actually, when did the Prison Gameplay™ became a thing? Was it part of the original idiotic stretch goals, or is it another dumb scope creep idea from Legendary Game Developper Chris Roberts®?

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Kojima's games are just more "interactive" versions of David's Cage "games" when you look at it carefully. I'm taking the piss but he's genuinely one of the most overrated "Game designers" out there, and MGS is probably the most overrated Japanese AAA franchise.

The best MGS game is Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, because it had actual gameplay, had no 30 minutes long cringe cutscenes, Kojima wasn't involved, and was dev'd by a studio that makes actual games instead of boring 10 minutes long """""""""stealth"""""""" gameplay sessions that are just breaks for the godawful cutscenes.

You could easily argue that MGS 1 to 4 are basically exactly the same game than the original one on MSX, almost down the meme/meta bossfight mechanics.

Wow, Kojima-san such genius of meta-gameplay comentary, I have to look at my PSX game's box to progress in game! GENIUS! KOJIMA-SAN?! NO IT IS NOT TRUE?! I HAVE TO PLUG MY CONTROLLER INTO THE PLAYER 2 SLOT TO BEAT THAT BOSS! SO DEEP!

This kind of meta-garbage memery is the only kind of exemple Kojima fanboys will give you for why he is such a game design genius. This unwarranted cult of personality, and a Japanese AAA vidya industry bent on milking their cash cow franchises without changing anything of substance until they dry are the only reasons why Konami kept funding his fanfic projects for so long.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Aren't you guys hyped for Xeno linguistics?

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

G0RF posted:

I don’t think the end is near for CIG, just that big changes may be underway behind the scenes. Some of them forced upon Chris by others.

It looks like we already saw one this year — the removal (or departure) of Sandi Gardiner. Chris didn’t even mention her at CitCon 2019, though she’s been front and center at every CitCon since 2014.

With no official explanation, we’re left to speculate what it means and how much it matters. Either she left on her own or was pushed out. Since the money’s been so good, the spotlight free and bright, and the demands so low, it sure seems like Sandi wouldn’t just walk away on her own.

Since Chris wasn’t likely the one pushing, it’s reasonable to wonder if other parties are making executive level changes for him. And to wonder if there’s more forced changes in store for 2020.

/StarCitizen mods deleted a thread about the subject yesterday. The same mods DIDN’T delete “The Lady Macbeth” discussion from the subreddit two months back, a post which saw hundreds of backers commenting and many of them positively about Bootcha’s latest documentary entry. Why are they banning discussion of an executive level disappearance if it isn’t true? Why not just have Zylow show up and say “Hey guys, Sandi’s still running things she’s just been really busy!”

Anyway, it’s hard to see what it all means right now. But if nothing else, the CIG Management status quo that went untouched from 2013-2018 has changed and may change further still in 2020.

That's not even taking into account that the Crytek lawsuit is currently in discovery, and trial is still scheduled to begin June 16th 2020. In legal time, 6 months is like 2 weeks.

That CitCon didn't only smell of despair and defeatism, it was also obviously cutting the costs, for the event itself (no big venue, no outrageously expensive ship models, rehashing useless keynotes, etc.), but also for the yearly CitCon demo that is usually a money sink.
They're probably saving cash as much as they can. That would also explain why they are not hiring and still have 70+ open job offers, and why they've been cutting back on the videos.

My unsubstantiated gut guess is that they're bracing for impact, they know how bad a jury trial can be, and that a court decision to fully stop the development because they're infringing on Crytek's IP is a real possibility. They also most likely have the investors pressuring them behind the scenes. A nice mix.

If you sum up what they showed in this Con, they still have nothing to show for and they're trying to add some battlefield mode to their unplayable game, which seems dumb because it's not gonna attract anyone new to this joke. To me that sounds like something desperately done to calm down the investors, if not even directly dictated by them.

It is really a bad sign that they're not willing to spend more cash to get more sandworms in their CitCon demo to keep the dream machine going so that the faithful keep throwing cash at them. Maybe they simply can't anymore.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
I'm glad CInotG is not cutting any corner on another round of refactoring the spaceships to keep the fidelity from this very useful and anticipated new feature.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Store Citizer: It's bad. It's real bad. You need to grow up.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

TheAgent posted:

10% is from their valuation which can be entirely made up (this is how you get companies operating at crippling losses somehow "worth" half a billion dollars).

it looks to me that the $47m was more for like half of the company and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "oops we didn't make you a shitload of money on time, here's the entire company" clause in there

This is what I wonder. As a venture capitalist or even a business angel, you want a ROI, usually in a 5 years timeline.

I can't believe any serious VC or BA would have invested in a project that missed every single ones of its milestones in 7 years of existence without some kind of guarantee.

So in my mind there's two possibilities, either they got guarantees that would make their investment still somehow profitable in case of failure, or they really invested in it like complete suckers, without them or experts doing their due diligence on CInotG's real situation before investing.

I've been trying to think of what they could get in case of the project's failure, all I could think of would be:
1. A useless IP that is now a worldwide joke.
2. A frankenengine that is not theirs anyway.
3. 5 video game studios.
4. Hypothetical: does CInotG own real estate on some of their studios?

I wonder if 47m $ is a decent price for owning 5 video game studios of mostly college graduates employees, with no shipped product. But maybe that's not a bad price. I really have no idea.
If they actually own real estate in Manchester, Santa Monica, Austin or Frankfurt, maybe that would add up.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 2, 2019

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Hav posted:

I'm done.

The Calders have a lawyer on the board. Educated speculation is that this;

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

Is an expression of how close they are to finishing the thing that they needed the marketing cash for, which is around a years worth of expenses. So they want to wrap up Squadron 42 as the vertical slice to help create an actual revenue stream other than wishes and FOMO.

Hit 'Features' and note that they haven't actually updated to Q4, even though it ends in under two sprints.

Bear in mind that the roadmaps were there to create an impression of progress and accountability by surfacing the scrum boards *after a fashion*, but the way that they shuffle things around....well, it reminds me as to the reason why the Russian airforce is constantly restructuring; it makes it really hard to get an overall picture.

Yes. But I highly doubt that CInotG's own roadmap would have anything to do the with share purchasing agreement's milestones. I'd love to read it tbh.

shrach posted:

They own no commercial real estate. "They" never would either.

If they were to own real estate, it would be in yet more shell companies/private investment vehicles with separate mortgages and they would charge some of the currently existing 14+ entities rent over and above the mortgage rates to syphon more cash out but they don't currently do this as far as we know.

I see. So then the only thing we can be somewhat sure of are the 5 games studios. What kind of money can you extract/salvage from that?

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

They're only game studios in the sense that CIG calls them that. You've got a bunch of college grads who don't yet have the experience to work for an actual studio, and no usable code or product between them. I think at this point they're worth whatever Erin Roberts managed to cobble together. I can't imagine any company would take anything but a severe loss acquiring them. Better for them to dissolve entirely then rebuild from scratch - far, far cheaper, and you'd get better people.

As much as we make fun of the devs, the hilarity of their product can't really be attributed to them, but to the insane micromanagement, and management bordering on criminal incompetence.

They might actually be the only asset of real value in this mess. With some good restructuring and reshuffling mostly of the execs, you might actually have a fairly decent studio. Maybe not one that is gonna embark on the next AAA GOTYAY, but that could ship medium sized games that actually turns a profit. Focus interactive business model revolves around publishing such games from smaller studios and they are pretty successful at what they do.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 3, 2019

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Hav posted:

Scrap value on desk, chairs and PCs that don't get half-inched on the way out.

At least one over-priced coffee maker.

We only have Roberts' word, the changes in directorship's from companies house and the sudden appearance of said set of boards to go on. The post-mortem for this whole thing is going to be fascinating.

I'm currently following a class on swiss company laws in the context of start ups. Every 10 minutes the teacher says something CInotG and the Calders pop in my mind.

Today's class was about what kind of investment, for who, from whom and how. My brain was making squeequie noises when we arrived at the crowdfunding section of the presentation.

Key point of the lesson was: "as a lawyer, when drafting a share purchase agreement or a shareholders agreement, you must draft it having in mind things might go really bad, and you want your client to still get the most of it".
At the very least, the Calders should have a liquidation preference clause in there.

Fascinating.

Edit: ambian is bad for typos.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 3, 2019

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
This is good for Star Citizen.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

This is your brain on late stage capitalism.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Sabreseven posted:

Other than nuking the November profits, I don't see any strategic gains from CIG having shares or board members in Turbulent or viceversa.

More CIG 'hide the money' shell games?

Strangli - director of Turbulent?

The Turbulent games launcher?

Distraction and obfuscation?

It's all weird. :shrug:

Here is an idea:
You know your cashcow scamfunded project is probably going to an end: whether slowly through the slow decline of interest for your project, or quickly through the possibility of a jury deciding the engine your entire project runs on is infringing on a third party's IP right.

Your project also has business ties with a marketing company that seems to do well, and your own company probably has debt to that same marketing company.

Your main problem is to keep your pretend Hollywood lavish lifestyle when the party ends.

Here is a creative solution through the magic of an UK private limited company:

1. You emit 2'340 new shares at the nominal cost of 0,0001£.
2. You get the marketing company to "pay" what you owe them not in cash, but you compensate them with those shares, but not on the nominal price, but at the price of your own valuation. Let say conservatively you value 1 share at 100£, it means by "paying" 2,340£ for emitting new shares, you can "erase" 234'000£ of debt. Now the real question is, how much can you value a share in the context of the most open game development ever?
3. At the same time, you get the marketing company to agree to sell you 25% of their share capital, that you pay not with your own personal money, but with your own company's cash. Cash that you acquired from gullible manchildren.
4. For reasons unknown, or by sheer idiocy, the guys at the marketing company also give you 2 seats on the board of directors, 2 nice cushion jobs for the foreseeable future.

And voilà, you solved 2 problems at once.

As a side note: Turbulent currently only has 2 directors:
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?lang=eng&corpId=4060652

https://www.registreentreprises.gou...eService=S00436

If the press release is true, CIG will get 2 seats on the board, rising up the total number of directors to 4. Getting 50% of the seats on the board with buying 25% of the shares, not bad.

Edit: can't wait to see the names of the new directors that are gonna pop up on the Canadian commerce registries.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 4, 2019

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Sabreseven posted:

That's likely it :)

Makes sense and gaining 50% control for only 25% of the cost while basically abusing the backers money and essentially just swapping which pocket it's sat in is very "CIG".

Sometimes I forget who CIG's accountant is :D

I think TheAgent's perspective fixes some of the blurry points in mine.

But yeah, it's beautiful. I admire these people.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

AbstractNapper posted:

Jesus, Crobbler. The Fantastic Four movies flopped. Quit producing tech for them.

Roger Corman's Fantastic Four was still a better movie than any cinematic turd Chris has or will ever put out.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Everyone seems to be misspelling "In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire."

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

They blurred it out.

Looks like someone just lost his job. With how hard they have it to recruit anyone new, I guess the jesus weather system is not gonna come in the next patch. RIP

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Quavers posted:

BBC Click episode on Star Citizen, posted on :reddit:

https://streamable.com/b4tww

I love it when tax payers backed public service """""""""""""journalists""""""""""""" are doing infomercials that promote revisionist history on a scam project, giving a voice only to the approved shills. The intern working on this probably didn't even read the Forbes article.

Good job BBC.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

tuo posted:

It's not the "typical" T-Pose, but take a closer look at the dark haired lady sitting at the right of the table, at the front. The model doesn't seem to be rigged yet, so she's in 50% t-pose and is simply rotated around the z-axis, with stiff arms. Also clips right into Hamill's knee.

e: I also never realized what's going with the neck of the lady two seats behind her...oh my god....

It's just fidelitious mo-capping.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Courtesy of the only french website not shilling for CInotG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6AXqt9tUY

The comments are beautiful :qqsay:.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
PoE 1 is pretty great and beloved.
Main valid complaint is that the lore isn't really interesting. Everything else is spot on.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

I am the frivolous lawsuit without merit from day one that passed a motion to dismiss.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
https://youtu.be/O5BJVO3PDeQ

It's interesting how an indie studio that got into more than they could chew and hosed up got universally trashed by the audience and the press alike (the very same press that put them in that impossible situation in the first place). Despite all that, in the end they actually fixed their product.

On the other hand, you have a project lead by a two decades old forgotten has been, whose lying in plain sight has been documented from day one. One outrageous claim after the other. One JPG scam after the other. And yet, up until recently, the only criticism you could read in the gaming "press" was the usual "well they're late but it sure is innovative and never done before" BS.

I wonder if Crobberts is gonna sell his house and operate on a loss to fix the farce that is gonna be whatever "final release" of SC/SQ54 is gonna be.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

No idea how weak or strong it is. Also those dates are just the public info, tip of the iceberg, discovery may show how early or late really CIG had been using the CT CE for the separate product, which could have been much earlier than Feb 2016, who knows. There is also the issue about when the CT CE license really stopped applying, if at all, given CIG has actually been always working on CT libraries and not Amazon ones etc.

Discovery is over. Discovery's result on Crytek side is "let's dismiss the case without prejudice, because our last cause of action (breach of contract) doesn't hold water as there is no SQ54 in the first place, and even if there was, our contract was so badly drafted that CIG simply "releasing" SQ54 in SC client would meet their obligation."

There is no 4D chess galaxybrain legal strategy behind this.

If the original GLA would have been drafted by competent people at Crytek, at a time they were in a stronger negotiating position than CIG, they might have imposed harsher and more restrictive obligations on CIG. But it's not the case. They dun hosed up.

Checkmate goonies.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Hav posted:

While the conclusions are probably correct, they’re still in discovery. Discovery raised something that caused Crytek to agree with the judge that the case may not be ripe; that something was redacted due to it being down to the operation or business confidentiality. They have at least a month or so of source code examination.

If this was simply jitters, they’d walk away rather than ask to dismiss without prejudice and CI!G would let them. For one thing, Crytek is actually specifically pointing out that the work done will not be wasted. WE are not party to all the information, and the courts have this depressing resistance against wishful thinking, prayers and punditry.

I’d also caution that CI!G have some history of making claims in legal filings that stretch the truth, so relying on their arguments as ‘truth’ is somewhat funny. The courts slapped down their claim that Crytek was just undertaking a shakedown, something that they went for again.

Again, unless they agree to dismiss the case, this is going to jury trial.

Also, a last point, you know that the quality of a contract has no bearing on discussions of breaking the contract? People agree to terrible contracts all the time, and unless they’re signed under duress, or seek to modify the law, they’re still a contract.

I always caution people to wait and see with cases because it doesn’t take much to derail, and just looking at the arguments for the last filing can skew observation.

Joke's on you, I was merely Orttwin posting!

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

AbstractNapper posted:

So, yeah, Amazon says "we had the right to re-sell the historic versions of CryEngine" but is it so? Did Crytek just sell off their rights to their own engine to Amazon to do whatever with it?

Is this... normal? It doesn't sound normal. Maybe Crytek hosed up with the contract or they didn't anticipate how it could backfire.

It's certainly possible: a licensor (Crytek) can grant his licensee (Amazon) the right to license the product to third parties (CI-not-G).

Like everything regarding IP and contracts, the contract must address the scope and limits of this right to sub-license. For instance, the original licensor might be entitled to a fee on every sub-license, or the licensee might be allowed to sub-license only to a specific customer or geographic market, etc.

And again, like everything regarding IP and contracts, if your licensing agreement was drafted without addressing those issues, that will be up to the court to interpret if you did or not.
Of course you can also explicitly have granted your licensee the right to freely sub-license your product because you were starving for cash.

Until we see what is in Crytek/Amazon agreement, we'll never know.

People tend to forget that the Yerli brothers are almost as exceptional as Croberts.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 20, 2020

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Like can you imagine if Blizzard put out a patch notes and it was like

"Hey uhhh we may have nerfed warriors? Can you guys go check?"

You know jack poo poo about better than AAA stagger-funded game development.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Holy fuckin poo poo have you guys seen this?!?!?!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/euubki/reload_animation/

Can't say I've ever seen such a fidelitous reload animation in my entire existence on this planet.

A reload animation.

Guys.

A 90+ comment thread on a reload animation.

Guys.

Help.

That is such a poo poo animation...

I am the janky rear end magazine that breaks the laws of physics by instantly transitioning from vertical to horizontal direction at light speed.
I am the Archered Berretta ARX that manages to be uglier than the original.
I am the assault rifle that doesn't have last round bolt hold open feature in the Year of our Lord 2942.

FIDELITY

This is the epitome of SC: backers creaming themselves over an obviously broken animation on a broken rifle model, made by someone who probably never fired one in his life.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

SoftNum posted:

$27k is still $300/mo. on this game.

$10. every single fegging day.

That's my monthly broke asf student food budget, in one of the most expensive country in the world.

But what is food compared to ~~dreams~~?

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

G0RF posted:

Lol at what the latest “Inside Star Citizen” documented...

This entire segment is one where the subtext drowns out the text. We see Chris (finally!), and what’s he been up to in this time of missed deadlines, worrying roadmaps, and heightening pressures?

He’s doing just what he think he’d be doing— micromanaging fashion concepts for denizens of an upcoming moon. The maestro of micromanagement at work.

Just listen to Lando, laying the groundwork for upcoming bad news. The whole thing is just one big blinking warning light.

Finally, an Inside Star Citizen that tells us what’s really going on lately!

Am I the only one who gets the same "defeated and not really in charge anymore" vibe from Citcon?

I mean, he's now basically a cameo at this point. Long are gone the days of enthusiastic handwavings.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

:smith: posted:

People don't see the importance of the hul c being complete. who cares when we get it in the verse, the fact is it is complete which means that they solved the physic grid issues. this means we should see a lot more improvements to the physics grids in game this

Physics grids 100% solved guys, it's confirmed!

Checkmate again goonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, at the least the UK office should be protected from this sort of thing by the EU Working Time directive... oh... Brexit... oh dear.

Still, there were always ways around that.

And yeah, my last company had strong words to say about people doing crunch for extended periods. It means the project manager wasn't doing their job right and it led to poor results.

The crunch culture is present in the game industry worldwide, even in the EU. The EUWTD has plenty of derogations, and certain industries simply don't give a gently caress about it.

The video game industry has such a deeply internalized culture of subservience that even in Germany, Crytek employees didn't go to court and kept working for months without pay.

ggangensis posted:

[...]
I think there is just one sane way to go with it: Never, ever work for the entertainment industry.
[...]

Also, this.