Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
star citizen: disgusted by how prematurely it feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
my favourite part of this thread is that the first video in the op is titled 'Imagine: Star Citizen' and that's what backers have been doing for the last 6 years and will still be doing for the foreseeable future. The desire to have the perfect space game will always beat out the reality of whatever CIG could ever possibly make and at some point they realised this and just kept selling dreams. I wonder when that was.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
this year at citcon will be purchasable mines which you can employ space poors to work in or enslave them through creative use of the 'verses legal system

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
that was an hour well spent for me. Thank you for all the work you put into the video and also to those people who helped along the way.

Looking forward to Chapter 8 in Q4 2020.

I like how all this information will essentially be reduced to is Sandi a bad VP of marketing. The answer seems to be, clearly, yes. It is so much more than that though.

It speaks to the misallocation of backer funds, the limited protection SCAM citizens have in the products dreams they choose to fund. It's pretty much why I have never put a dime on kickstarter. There are no guarantees, you are paying for something up front that might never reflect that which you funded in the first place.

If you have some threat over management, such as, cutting a mass amount of funding from the project for shortfalls in performance you could get actual information about decisions being made. Or the ability to hold them accountable to performance goals you set for them you have a much better chance of the dream being realised.

Instead you throw your money into the charity box and cross your fingers. You make a decision with extremely limited information with no safeguards in place to ensure disclosure, you give up all control of your money and your only recourse is to hope they refund you or perhaps one day some sort of class action lawsuit? The future of this project when it eventually collapses under the weight of the incompetence and greed displayed will be an interesting time, if it ever comes. I guess you could keep the game going indefinitely on a pretty low budget if you just bullshit in perpetuate.

If it's not already the case I can see Chris simply being some figurehead with his name on the board of directors not actually making any decisions about the game anymore and just letting others take the wheel for a slice of the pie and maybe backers wouldn't even notice and still bless his hallowed name like Steve Jobs or something.

I wonder what the function of the trust is and how it generates its distributions to beneficiaries.

Janitor Ludwich IV fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 2, 2019

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
I didn't quite finish catching up but does anyone have edit access to the community spreadsheet? I wouldn't mind a copy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

I'm an idiot, you can download as guest, but I guess they are using google scripts to do a lot of the data importing

also any of you guys who paid or received refunds from star citizen know which of the many legal entities created for SC is the one that collects the pledges?

looking at the financial statements they lodged with https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924/filing-history and comparing it to the feel good version:
https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-financials-for-2018

raises many questions. Except the cash at bank at the end of the day is relatively similar if you deduct all pledges over time from the total trading costs in above you end up just shy of 7M USD

the financials at companieshouse state 6.9M pounds leaving approx 1.7m USD extra at the end of 2018 that's not shown in the CIG website statement.

i love star citizen and can't wait for the history books to review what a massive success it was.

Janitor Ludwich IV fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 13, 2020

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
star clitizen: does it really exist

sorry

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
a couple of things, thread.

Did bootcha really get silenced by a lawsuit and that's why he doesn't do videos anymore

also
There's a free fly this weekend right? I have never tried becoming a citizen. How badly will it damage my computer if i install it and then subsequently run it?

My friend tells me its great now and he said he's only in for $60

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
it's actually just kinda like the citadel in mass effect, except its a planet with an outer ring and an inner ring, the inner ring simply rotates on its axis faster than the outer ring so it looks like that because of the advanced physics engine. The clipping is just early days

Here's a post I have in one of my IRL friends discord channel

quote:

the Servers are so busy At the present... makes it not easy to do bounty's when the universe has a bad time updating the Quest After u Explode the target... its Great plated when most citizens are in bed till Server Messing is Complete...
and can hold over 1000 ppl per universe will Definitely Make the universe Feel so alive

i got invited to Help Brake someone's Mate out off prison.. Very Significant Fun.. involved Noclipping down there as are Squad... avoided falling through the terrain and Rolled put a tank from the Cargo section... got my Firearms and med kids rdy to go... Many hacking Tools Ect... got in to some First Person Fidelicious Fights with the Goons... Crim stat went throw the ceiling on on this jaunt...We got our citizen...made it back to the spacemobile... Headed for a Special base... Brutalized our way in.... used the Personal computer to Hack the Mainframe... and wipe our records from the System

some words have been edited to protect the innocent but capitalization and spelling errors remain intact

really makes me want to buy one of those expensive ships you all are always raving about

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
it's still backer imagination that drives their want for these time wasting things.

They are dreaming that during that 7 hour flight to planet nibiru you will get up and walk around your ship and play ship politics like telling the janitor that floor pixel is still green and not blue, or holding trials against the guy who robbed han solos super hidden compartment, or defending the ship from a mutiny with a few of their very loyal men.

maybe you find a derelict ship with a mysterious environmental story to tell

maybe a space germ starts infecting the crew

maybe there is too much argon in the atmosphere and the maintenance crew will need to be pushed to work over time

Janitor Ludwich IV fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 18, 2021

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
I will take one for the team on the free fly front

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i'm now installing the game for the second time as the first time my internet disconnected halfway through. I reconnected and the download resumed from where it dropped, however after it finished downloading all the files it decided there was an error downloading the files and now it is downloading the entire game again

off to a good start

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Alright so I played the game now I'm getting some stutters in the witcher 3, I can only assume my computer is now poisoned, because I have not stuttered in witcher 3 prior to installing this garbage.

Anyway this is lawyerforbirds

I chose port olisar as my home or whatever, game is laggy as gently caress, I spent probably an hour trying to find the hangar bay so I could try being a spaceman, took in the sights

grabbed a fidelicious burger

met a cool npc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owo051-QFKw

eventually i found a hangar, and it took me a solid 10 minutes to give up on figuring out how to get the hangar bay doors open before resorting to chat, apparently the hangar bay people are on my friends list and I just had to send them a DM.

Another 10 minutes later I was finally outside the atmosphere.

I did the fast travel thing for 5 minutes to an objective, blew a thing up then got shot to poo poo by an NPC ship, lost power and floated around in circles for a bit, at this point I left the computer and came back to being at the Doctors office.

The game is janky as gently caress, makes 0 effort to make things interesting and as everybody knows, wants to waste your time.

Is there a map for cities or whatever? It took me so loving long to figure out a reliable way to the hangar. Not that I will ever touch the poop again.

I had another shot tonight but I fast travelled to the wrong objective, and between that and exiting olisars atmosphere I just gave a significant lack of fucks to try to find the fun and would rather play something fun. It was going to be a box mission so I was hoping to find some more funny bugs but it seems like you have to play the game for dozens of hours just to get those unless you're real lucky.

so thats my report i guess

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Colostomy Bag posted:

What's your machine specs?

witcher 3 was fine until after playing this poop

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Khanstant posted:

yo guy who just tried the game first time, how easy was it to uninstall? I'm so tempted to poke around myself to fuel my star citizen gameplay on reddit but i really let these comments about its shittiness to my computer go to my head

You can use the uninstaller to uninstall the launcher but the game files hang around.

I just deleted that folder. I'm sure it left some other bullshit in my registry or services.

Another cool thing from my wasted hours of my weekend was star Citizen really likes to make your controller vibrate even if you're using KBM. Everytime I jumped the controller would spaz out for 5-10 seconds. I had to disable vibrate.

Overall I'm just annoyed the game stole free time from my weekend

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

sebmojo posted:

thanks goonfriend.

Pm me with your Av or gangtag request and I'll make it happen.

done, thanks friend

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

oh man I can't believe I missed out on the incredible box carrying gameplay.

I also totally forgot about the nonstop tutorial prompts at the bottom, the ones with things like tap spaceship_generalv_toggle_quantum_mode are my favourites.

The one time I did see another player they were warping around and wearing no clothes, otherwise yeah I wouldn't be able to distinguish them from an NPC cause they did not react into me trying to block them in the slightest. So lifelike NPCs when server messing 2.0 is finally implemented i guess

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
so have they finished any of the fundamental tech required to deliver any of the poo poo they promised?

No?

Early days

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Jonny Shiloh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWxJUy-PXE&ab_channel=Golgot100

LOL rapidly becoming my favourite Store Citizen YouTuber.

filling a gap in the market where there use to be a sunk cost galaxy

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Bofast posted:

The stairs (fortunately) did not kill anyone, so how can they be Star Citizen related?

this is a tutorial on how to safely navigate stairs in star citizen

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
people just keep putting money into this poo poo even though they've accomplished nothing in like 15 years

amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
"pyro still needs server meshing"

does that mean they will never have a 2nd system in the game unless they're willing cull the current system?

lmao