Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
That Citizen Tech Talk video was not at all what I expected. This is full on heretic content. This is DSmart levels of FUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
You're both cunts.

So anyway, how about that server meshing? Really coming along nicely, yeah?

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
babby's first persistence

:worship: And suddenly, out of thin air, the entire game and what we do suddenly matters. This is a turning point.

I CAN FEEL THE COSMOS!

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

On one hand, you are right. Depressingly right.

On the other hand, I can say unironically that in the last 500 years 7 years, my longest and most heartfelt laughs were at this train wreck. The record was 20 minutes of straight laughter, until my stomach hurt and my eyes had swelled shut, and that was courtesy of whoever put Crobear in the official CitizenCon mosaic.

Yeah, this thread (and the former threads) gave me some of the best laughs ever.

I think the funniest for me was "Winter for Roberts and CIG."

It is such a deep cut, which hits on so many levels. I know jokes are way funnier when you explain them, so two of my favorite parts of this joke are:

1) The Producers: The Video Game
2) excuse me, Nazi enthusiasts

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
The scope triples every second with the worst type of fidelity.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 22, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
The problem is that CIG doesn't understand what they're doing.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Citizencon 2016 really feels like it was the upward curve of Crobbo and Strangli's delusory expectations.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
:rant: We're tired of hearing this now. It was a valid excuse a year ago. Not anymore. They had plenty of time to draw something up and show us how it would work, and they didn't.

:nono: Echoing u/REDACTED, a year isn't going to make much of a difference here. Do you have any technical or development knowledge/experience? You can't just throw more bodies at a technical development problem and solve it faster, that doesn't work.

Also, I looked it up, and CIG didn't staff up to AAA studio staff levels until July of 2018.

Again, with a similar staff, the average AAA game, which is a much less ambition project in every conceivable way, takes five years to make.

It's been only two years (in July) that they've had a AAA size staff, to complete a far more ambitious game than the average AAA game (which means it's going to take longer to develop, no matter how big the staff), so a year after fully staffing up the company is not a reasonable time frame to decide that you're "tired of hearing" about an immutable fact of the universe.

I'm tired of hearing about how gravity keeps me from flying. That's not going to change a drat thing. Your expectations are unreasonable and unrealistic, and based on nothing resembling the real world.

:rant: Sure, but then they're just taking the playbook of a lot of f2p games: ignore the veterans in favor of pulling in gullible new backers, take their money, and then gently caress them sideways. Look at games like War Thunder, MWO, and so forth. They don't treat the original backers with a lot of respect -- all they care about is revenue.

:nono: They haven't even released the game yet, dude. They are likely several years away from that. They have to care about revenue, because caring about revenue is respecting us. If they don't care about revenue, then development stops and we never get what we really pledged for.

I totally get this criticism when it's leveled at true AAA studios who have huge publishers backing them that are pushing them to implement lovely game mechanics for monetization. However, when revenue doesn't go into a publishing exec's pocket, but into developing the thing we want them to make for us, we all better care about revenue, it's what keeps any progress alive. If revenue stops, this dies. Then we all truly get hosed, not because CIG set out to screw us, but because you can't run a company with no money coming in.

lol. Original emphasis included.

Store Citizen: Caring About Revenue Is Respecting Us

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 24, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Agony Aunt posted:

the most rabid refundian

I used to think I was one of the more unhinged extremist refundians, of the apocalyptic DSmart ELE sect -- until I met Bobo.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 24, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
I like Scruffy's term: brainworms. An acute space brainworm infection is a clinical diagnosis, is factually accurate as applied to cultists, and is all the more hilarious because it is self-inflicted. Fun science fact: the brainworms look like tiny sandworms!

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
That photo is offensive and makes light of those with Sunflower Syndrome.

quote:

Sunflower Syndrome describes reflex seizures – typically eyelid myoclonia with or without absence seizures – triggered when patients wave their hands in front of the sun

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6051521/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
:jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish: :jewish:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
People who applied the bait and switch skin or the Carrack power creep upgrade now have no ship at all.

Also, it seems like they are already starting to build hype for a new mega whale capital-class luxury ship. Considering the Javelin was $2500, I'm thinking it'll be $3k, at least.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/2xvuo3musdjpzr/source/CloudImperiumGames_StarCitizen_OriginAnnouncement.png

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Ah yes, the hoses going to the pistol mag pouches to regulate the argon levels in the ammunition. Of course Chris greenlit that.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Just wanted to chime in and say I've built a pretty kickass studio since 2012.

Got some classic synths from the 80s (Roland analog, Yamaha FM) as well as some 90s and noughties analog modeling (Access Virus, Novation drum station)

Got some more current teens gear with eurorack, semi modular, and hybrid analog/wavetable stuff. The Deepmind 12 is my main analog polysynth. It isn't my most expensive or impressive synth, but it is super easy to live with.

Started experimenting with hybrid hardware eurorack/VCV rack software, using an interface with DC coupled ports for CV and audio. It is such a rabbit hole, but it is fun to be able to modify my semi-modular monosynths using hardware and software so seamlessly.

The Akai Force is my main sequencer and sampler. Really loving it. It has replaced my Elektron Octatrack for most applications. It is just so flexible.

As far as other material crap: I've bought two motorcycles, four bicycles, one car. I've remodeled my house (that helped with the studio upgrade, as I built a dedicated addition for it).

As far as life milestones: I became an uncle twice over, got a law degree, passed a state bar exam, was sworn into federal and state courts as an admitted attorney, been on the record thousands of times, won at trial, lost at trial, started a business.

It is amazing what can happen in 8 years' time, outside the time void of Store Citizen.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 9, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
I went on a bit of a monosynth spree. They are great fun.

2x Moog Mother 32s, Behringer Neutron, Roland SE-02, Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900, Make Noise 0-Coast

Edit: Behringer is a lovely company, but the Neutron really is a great synth at a ridiculous price. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in a monosynth and for learning modular patching.

The SE-02 has come way down in price recently. It can be controlled by MIDI or CV, like the Neutron, but is not semi-modular, so is less intimidating. The filter cutoff is very steppy, but other than that, it sounds great. You can store patches on the SE-02 or get audio out over USB, if you care about those things. (Can't do this on the Neutron).

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 9, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
(nm, someone else made a similar point already)

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 10, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
ARGcast when?

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Has anyone said Death of a Space Game yet?

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

less than three posted:

The lack of grab bars on that train is very Space-OSHA unfriendly.

mag boots are back in.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
has anyone said Sandworm Citizen yet?

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Guys, I'm starting to worry that Chris Roberts might not be able to set a new bar in cinematic single player storytelling while simultaneously developing the world's most ambitious space MMO....in CryEngine.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Have you ever seen Ortwin and the Stimperor in the same room? #JustSayin

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Way to double down, and lean into that hard R while you're at it. I don't think you could have picked a more appropriate time.

Edit: you keep using "c.f." incorrectly. It stands for Counter Factual, dumb rear end. You use it for counter-examples.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Its ok to drop N-bombs, especially during nationwide civil unrest brimming with racial tension. That is when it is most called for.

c.f. when I dropped multiple N-bombs with hard Rs earlier today.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 2, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, this isn't the first time we've had a little hoo-ha over the use of words.

To be honest, i can't get over the level of political correctness that is going on here (and believe me, i don't use that phrase lightly, its a phrase i've found all too often misused and abused).

Having given it some thought, and maybe you agree, i don't really want to be part of this community any more.

Love you all, but getting worked up over a phrase like this i frankly find insane.

Mods: Please do your thing whereby i can't post (perma), but can continue to read even when the paywall is up.

Everyone else: See you around, especially those of you who frequent the refund sub. ;) Its been fun.

Have you tried taking a break from following Star Citizen? A few months off can do you wonders. See ya in the 'Verse, Citizen!

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
TheAgent told you "way to read the room."

What kind of snowflake are you, that we need to cater to your delicate sensibilities? TheAgent should have hand delivered you a calligraphy "pls chill" note on a satin pillow right?

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
I don't know what the problem is, I just told some Holocaust jokes at that jewboy's bar mitzvee-thing-a-majigee. If they would have just asked me nicely to please refrain, I would have just told jokes about foreskins and money. I really didn't feel like I was welcome after several hours. I have no idea what their problem was or why they got personal by calling me "rude."

I kept telling them how I was going to leave. That open bar tho.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Coming from you? I'm touched.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Lighten up, Citizen. I can take a joke at my own expense. Feel free to try to dunk on me whenevs.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Incitatus posted:

How about people just report offending posts and move and not derail the thread for 5 pages everytime someone uses a word they don't like?

I just want to laugh at a bad game "made" by a wavey hands idiot.

Oh yeah, we wouldn't want to distract from all the breaking CIG happenings at 3am EST. Tomorrow, the S42 video will not appear again. I wouldn't want to spoil the excitement.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
I love how Erin, the guy in charge of the team which couldn't release S42 in 8 years, is now going to deliver the PU. Well, he's reskinned some Lego games recently (errr about a decade ago), so maybe it is possible that we'll have 1000 Citizen instances after all.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

MedicineHut posted:

I truly believe there is a significant divide between Americans and Eurolanders when it comes to discussions about racism and proportional reactions to actual or perceived racist actions.

Lack of sensitivity to those two contexts in particular (among others) is really a shame. But it goes both ways. Shame.

Despite fear of further derailment (IDGAF) would you mind expanding on this?

I know things are different. For one, you can get shot in the US over a parking space, or simply for looking at someone the wrong way. It is best to stay on your Ps and Qs if you're smart.

I'm just curious what you meant by your post.

I love visiting Europe. (At least I used to love it, back when travel was a thing). I am a naturalized US citizen, but I grew up here. I stay strapped on the daily, for what its worth.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 2, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
So in Russia it is commonplace to use British racist terms when referring to parts of a penis? Seems legit. I guess I just am not worldly enough and my understanding lacks nuance compared to that of Eurolanders.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 2, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

mdxi posted:

It's "cf.", and it's short for confer/conferatur, meaning "compare". It's used to point to texts which are illustrative by contrast.

And he was using it like "e.g.," not to highlight by contrast.

Counterfactual conditional is abbreviated CF (instead of cf.) so I guess I mixed up what the abbreviation stands for, but at least I know how to use it correctly.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 3, 2020

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
If I have some regret it is that while I did watch the original announcement live and later the infamous 24 hour stream, I did not have any money to back the game at the time (I sometimes did not have money for food, not to mention games). So I just created account here and waited. Now I am Concierge and I already had hundreds hours of fun with the game, and lot of more watching it grow. I am more then willing to wait more. Star Citizen is not the only game in existence you know, there is no need to hurry.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Reddit is going absolutely bananas over seeing more concept art 8 years in. They're theorycrafting like mad right now.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

payback's a muthafucka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Reddit is an absolute battlefield right now.

Spectrum is pretty amazing tho. They are dunking on Chris so hard, it is almost like reading this thread.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/where-is-chris