Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think citizens would go in the amigara fault holes, so long as they believed there would be ships inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Heartfelt congrats to whoever ran that bill for that up to 100 grand somehow. We call him "the crobbler of cosplay"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Or buy the costume for $2000, charge the company $100,000, pocket $98,000.

I prefer to imagine $98,000 worth of feature creep, delays and missed deadlines, glitches, trying to make the costumes work despite choosing the worst possible materials, and etc.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can’t believe they actually made a new star marine map. I’m assuming that one streamer who played it gave up long ago, reducing the player count to actual 0

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The redditors are revolting

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Stop being a fudster. What's done is the initial work supporting the planning of the pipeline for creating the hair workflows

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dragonrah posted:

Reading that this guy keeps saying “little boy” is kind of making my skin crawl.

Extremely german energy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Blaming your own brain for not allowing you to behold the full glory of star citizen is at least a new one, and I have to respect it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The X wing was the original ship that punched above its weight, if you think about it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The lethality effect is so strong that it even applies within a project- you can be sure he will zero in on the least successful aspects for praise

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Procedurally generated birds are in. Checkmate goonailures

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The star war is a glorified battlefront 2 DLC. EA of all companies would not be pricing it at 40 bux unless even they think there will be no use pretending. I’m sorry to say it, if you desire to fly x-wings you shall never know peace or justice on this earth

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

$331,424,242.42

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They used to sell several boss varieties on US amazon though apparently not at present https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PMNR4FR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_XkKNEb4YQ68WJ. Ah, the heart pines for nihon's superior canned drinks :japan:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Elite's problem is they do everything by cheating. I only respect games that create a full reality inside my CPU and, by proxy, my mind palace

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Finally saw a good headline for star citizen this morning

Star Citizen Developers Fed Up After Being Expected To Work During Devastating Texas Snowstorm

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I haven't followed star citizen much in the last year or so because it's generally too boring, but last I had heard sandy was completely gone (and probably not coincidentally had split up with c. roberts). I would assume some psychos she hired, full of sandy energy, are still kicking around though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think rockstar likes to reach a compromise with immersive gameplay systems like that where opting in gives you an entirely non-necessary bonus for roleplaying that you could also completely ignore. See eg everything related to caring for your horse in red dead redemption 2. I could completely see them doing something like that in the next GTA though it's a bit more of a stretch logically to give your car a boost because you stopped to gas it up than equivalent for a horse I suppose.

The level of design sophistication required for considerations like this is, it goes without saying, something chris roberts will literally never acquire

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think most of the outlets have been exhausted into submission by the citizens and chris roberts wild and crazy litigation threats when they publish any non fawning coverage, hence why they all stopped talking about it. If anyone bothers these days I would suspect it's because what they have is bulletproof

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have slowly caught up on this thread over months which has been fun. Thank you for all the great animal gifs and pics.

So I backed the original Kickstarter and it was the first and last Kickstarter I ever did, but I figured it was probably time to check out my investment some months ago. It really can’t be stated just how totally broken the game is. I’m pretty experienced with janky games and arcane UIs and things but I couldn’t find my ship for half an hour (when I wasn’t clipping through the planet and dying - not doing anything except running through areas.) I have been pressing another friend who did the Kickstarter to play it just so he too can experience how totally useless and broken the game is. That is unless you want to eat hot dogs. I ate so many hot dogs. There’s so many food stalls.

But that’s all old news, everyone’s hashed that. What bugs me and what I don’t see as much chatter about is just the use of space. I was on the Apple planet - I don’t know what it’s called, the one that looks like an Apple store everywhere - and just the sheer scale of everything felt like being in the main halls between the train station and the terminals of JFK. Everything was huge. Everything was too open. And for what purpose? I know it’s almost pointless to ask “why” and poke about FIDELITY right now but it’s so insane because it both looks lovely and isn’t realistically designed - why would you make every plaza so massive, why does everything look like Times Square even if it’s clearly just some random street? It was so jarring how massive and empty everything was - I guess all built for the millions of players eventually ready to populate the world.

The new floating city has the same drat problem and it’s mind boggling. It doesn’t look good as a creative choice to build it huge and sprawling with little spindly bits that seem to go out kilometers because ???. So is it designed that way for some Fidelitous reason? I can’t think of any! If I were building a floating city I’d probably build a fairly tight building that was symmetric for ease of keeping it floating.

I know the answer is probably that there isn’t really any design philosophy but then why don’t they have smaller designs that are easier to design and implement? Whaaat is going onnnnn?? Do they just need the cities look bigger so your Idris doesn’t dwarf them?

Every art asset and design decision in the game has to be signed off on by a single extremely stupid thumb man

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would watch an opera in star citizen in a heartbeat. Instruments falling through the world, performers t posing, standing on their chairs, dying of heart attacks left and right

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Star atlas makes complete sense to me unfortunately. They're simply targeting a slightly more advanced spot on the continuum of "the game existing would be a detriment to my dreams.txt" than star citizen, with a healthy dollop of crypto psychopathy appeal mixed in

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly at this point the wavy hands man should just make some promises about blockchain whatever at citizen con. Why not? Probably good for goosing out another few million

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I still don't get why CIG have been so coy about crypto. I see zero downside to just promising it and never following through to goose some more cash, a la VR.

I guess it's just a sign of the :effort: involved at this point

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey now, Polygon broke some pretty important gaming industry stories. Sadly it's looking more and more like that was all Jason Schreier and he took his ball with him to Bloomberg.

I'm not if I'm missing a joke here or something, but schreier never worked at polygon. He was at kotaku before bloomberg

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, that's my take too. Kotaku had good exposes about gaming industry nightmares (including several about star citizen o7) and polygon's thing was honestly mainly having a pretty good stable of comedy video content creators, both for a period of several years. AFAIK both had massive staff turnover and have mostly given in to the interns running a clickfarm pressure at this point

e: Ah how the time flies, almost a year since this nice cut of star citizen bullshit

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1370051913153048581?s=20&t=fcN6imjcaIuQPVUxXx8RPQ

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 12, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's been heavily rumored, if not outright confirmed by the capcom hack, that dragon's dogma 2 is in development. I'm certainly looking forward to it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wasn't there some manner of 'star citizen but crypto' project during the boom? I remember the guy with the muppet avatar shilling it. Doubtless it's gone to the moon since

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

colonelwest posted:

I don’t remember anyone getting to the point of launching their own shitcoin before, but the idea has been floating around the community for years. There are a ton of broken brained crypto bros who have demanded that CIG start it’s own Crobbler Coin, though they’ve gone quiet since the crash.

I found it, it was called star atlas and like all the grifts of that period it was mainly a bunch of wavy hands plus a coin. Looks like it's going great by the way https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/star-atlas/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That seems like a pretty good channel. It has all the sweet pgabz style footage I've been missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDCuFvAHTiA

If star citizen is even managing to shake off germans at this point maybe something will actually happen in the coming decades

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was basically a battlefield game style combined arms mode where you would have ships and tanks and infantry all fighting on a relatively smaller map. My understanding was they could never get it running playably performance wise.

Doesn't sound ominous for the larger project at all

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are very good reasons to purchase multiple copies of squadron 42.

Note: We are entering month 3 of not being able to purchase any copies of squadron 42

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Unless things have really decayed there isn't a german gaming organization existing that would actually go after CIG, star citizen is their nation's god. Maybe one german indie mag did critical articles like 5 years ago (and got shouted down into oblivion)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RDR2's open world is amazing and the story, in a vacuum, is pretty great. The railroaded braindead missions are the bitter medicine you have to take to enjoy the good parts.

Now let me pitch you. What if the open world was some star citizen planets, the story was written and directed by chris roberts, and the missions were still railroaded and braindead

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tuned in exactly at the right time to hear about getting data on atmosphere composition in each room of your ship. I see the priorities are on point as usual

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trilobite posted:

I don't think "feature complete" means anything in CIG-speak, any more than "alpha" does.

It might just mean that someone has finally decided what a Minimally Viable Product for Sq42 would look like, and now they "only" have to make that stuff work.

It felt very telling that at least as far as I heard no one elaborated whatsoever on what "feature complete" means in this case. Everyone can have their own dreams.txt about that I suppose

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think they're still wildly dishonest. It is absolutely textbook from the history of star citizen to say something like "squadron is feature complete", refuse to elaborate, and let everyone invent whatever they think that means

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just got one of their god awful marketing emails saying they're going to start doing weekly shows again. I guess the whales are in need of some goosing, despite all the constant exciting updates the game is getting :confused:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I never spent anything on star citizen but I do own a ship, which ben lesnick gave to me for winning a !raffle in a twitch stream 8 years ago(!!!). I also feel I overpaid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

9 months and counting since squadron 42 was removed from their store. Feature complete, but also early days