Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why is there Ship AI when everything is supposed to be ships being piloted by actual physical pilots so it would be covered by their incredible AAAA+ NPC AI, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sad I missed out on the closure. Not sad that I can get in at the ground floor again. How does a $4k for cyber sound?

Also, anyone else looking forward to Q1/Q2 of 2020? I am.

Didn't they already say it's pushed back Q3?

Quoting the gently caress out of this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He posts like that other lunatic who eventually melted down and deleted his account. Same guy?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Since there's no actual game in SC yet what the gently caress is even taking up all that storage space? Is everything just completely uncompressed and duplicated a thousand times?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

First off, wtf is is that poo poo. It is laughable.

Second question, what is it with VAT? I know what VAT is, but is it supposed to be in the purchase (haha) price or are these UK anomalies?

Imagine if instead of having sales tax applied at the checkout, it was included in the price on the price tag for each item.

That's how VAT works in the U.K.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sankis posted:

I bet the Calders get some percentage of the donations and don't care as long as it keeps rolling in.

Depends on how long they think the scam will continue. Even if they took every single cent the tracker claims CIG were bringing in they'd be looking at a year and a half just to break even, but CIG need all of that that to keep the dream furnaces burning.

So if you cut that to say even 10% of the tracker you're suddenly looking at 15 years to recoup. No way they're that patient. They have to have been promised something big and much sooner than 15 years down the line.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AutismVaccine posted:

I dont know, but everytime someone mentions KoS lists i have this picture of an impotent, raging and overweight teenage gamer in my head. It is just so, so cringe. It is like - having tea with bunnyman and his favourite doll - cringe level.

That teenager is in at least their mid20s by now

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Megalobster posted:

I love it when tax payers backed public service """""""""""""journalists""""""""""""" are doing infomercials that promote revisionist history on a scam project, giving a voice only to the approved shills. The intern working on this probably didn't even read the Forbes article.

Good job BBC.

BBC World service is the commercial arm, not the state funded broadcaster arm. CIG almost certainly paid for that, probably as part of their "Look we're totally making a British game give us some more tax credits" plans.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Judge Dredd is just as valid an interpretation of the character and setting as Dredd.

2000AD is more frequently goofy as all hell than it is serious and grungy dystopian nightmare.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zzr posted:

The ad's targets paying to watch the ad will never cease to amaze me.

To be fair, the opening keynote where they announce all the exciting new upcoming poo poo has been free on twitch for a while now. The 'ad' is available to everyone because duh.

The convention itself is just like a normal convention, except only blizzard stuff is there and it smells even worse because the attendees are all there because they enjoy sitting for 10+ hours at a time killing boats and collecting bear asses instead of those people only making up a certain percentage of the gathered nerds.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

knockout posted:

right, so, my original question

No because the 'game' that's there is unplayable garbage that you can only 'enjoy' if you're trying to pretend you didn't waste a shitload of money you'll never get back.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

monkeytek posted:

At my short run at squaresoft, the magic sauce was that they had a couple organizational geniuses keeping everything moving and on schedule. It was amazing watching them at work, they could walk into a chaos storm created by the resident creative types and hammer out reason and focus. To me, that has always been the issue with CIG a couple creative "gurus" run everything with absolute power, there is no organization, no planning, no limitations, nothing. Just pure chaos and dreams.

It's Daikatana if someone gave Romero a quarter of a billion dollars and just left him to go wild.

Daikatana came out though, so it's not a perfect simile.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I like how they keep advancing the date in the game along with the date in real time, this definitely won't lead to lunatics screaming about hosed up lore dates when they forget to amend how long ago things happened in the eventual release.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

From what I saw in that CTT vid,

So, do all software devs upto and including 'manager' level guys go into work, their 'professional' place of 'business' dressed in teddy bear t-shirts with bits of metal hanging out of their faces like they don't give a single gently caress about even looking like professionals of a trade? Or are they all expected to look like a bunch of stoners with little respect to their working office environment or industry? What if an investor or other important vip came to look around and saw that bunch?

I'd send people home to get changed if any of my office employees turned up like that, grounds for a disciplinary chat and a footnote in their personnel file in most professional settings.

It angers me.

taxxe of relevance;

Yeah you're the one who is wrong here fwiw. CIG wouldn't be any more 'professional' if they all went to work in three piece suits and the same applies to literally every profession on the planet.

Dress codes are the last bastion of salty old men mad that people can get real jobs now without having to dress uncomfortably for 40 hours a week, they're bullshit and telling applicants we don't have a dress code at my office is one of my absolute favourite things about being a manager.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If they did a good job I couldn't care less. You have terrible hangups about people's clothing choices.

Sabreseven posted:

the only culture should be 'be reliable, do work, do it well' and nothing more

Agreed, and you'll notice that nothing you just wrote needs you to dress in a particular way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

So working in an office means you don't need to have any standards over personal appearance? Shirt and trousers for employees is too much of an ask these days? Especially for employees who are willing to represent their company publicly?

I don't have hang ups on clothing, but the workplace isn't the living room or the back garden or even the local watering hole.

The 'work' is the important part of work and if you're doing it properly it literally doesn't matter to me if you're doing it in full top hat and tails or shorts and a T-shirt.

The only people who would care what my employees look like are people like you and thankfully your type seem to be on the way out in the majority of places. I work in a corporate environment managing people and I have both a face full of metal and *gasp* visible tattoos. The world has moved on. Women can even show their ankles now!

VVVV- I'm not in any kind of software development, better tell my bosses and execs that we're doing it all wrong

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 10, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

"People like you", lol, yeah us people who require certain standards to be upheld, darn the world really would be better with less standards and rules, wait, no it actually would be poo poo and chaotic.

Yes if everyone wore whatever they wanted to work truly it would bring about the end times, you're doing the Lord's work by keeping your staff on the straight and narrow.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

colonelwest posted:

I’m sure they love him for it too.

He's going to post about how much they do love him now, don't worry.

Edit: actually he might go for "they don't love me they RESPECT me I am the boss" I can't decide

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

Ehhem, I'm very sorry that I'm not ok with letting everyone dress like children at work. Maybe it's that my employees and myself have to deal with both the public and with other business people who DO dress and present themselves like adults that makes me such a bore with dress codes and formality.

Truely awful.

You're only a real adult if you dress like a character out of Mad Men, got it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

colonelwest posted:

Lol Steam and Discord are “unsupported applications”

I guess Citizens should just have a gaming PC solely dedicated to Star Citizen, without a single other application running on it.

This is clearly the fabled "all other communication software should be locked out while playing SC for maximum immersion and to stop OOC cheating" being implemented.

Working as intended.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

I think that's the problem.

gently caress, I feel old lmao :D

Sabreseven posted:

Lmao :D Teddy bear t-shirts are definitely childish, especially if worn by people who are over 20. :P

Pay you're newpage taxxe!

Recognising that you're old and out of touch then laughing it off without addressing the fact that you're wrong doesn't make you a 'loveable old curmudgeon' like you seem to think it does, it just makes you even more of an insufferable oval office.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That PC case was a war crime

Like the point of a billion fan mounts is to give you a wide range of options for optimising airflow for whatever unpredictably shaped component range you put in it

Not to put a fan in every single one to make it into a hovercraft

There was literally no benefit other than proving he's a loving idiot with too much money

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Uhhhh... I am sorry if I am thick, but... if you say "Do not use slurs," that would imply that those for which you say: "I am sure you can all think of plenty of other slurs," are included in those (as those would be slurs and you get back to the first sentence)? So basically any time we use newly thought-up slur, we shouldn't use it, because from that moment on it's a slur.

Like, if I call you "turbulently triffled tomato" and it's clear from the context it's a slur, I shouldn't use it?

Really sorry for dragging this on, but I am sincerely confused by this and similarly to other guys not sure what is and isn't okay to post... :(

That's not a slur, it's just particularly juvenile name-calling.

If you can manage to get through the day without saying the n-word then you can also expand that list to include other words that people don't want to hear.

100 years ago it was totally cool to throw that word around left and right too in most places, it's almost as if acceptable language changes over time or something. (Probably because of all those drat snowflakes insisting that people shouldn't be called the n-word, amirite? Total loving head-scratcher that one.)

If you genuinely can't express what you want to say without resorting to slurs, whether you think they're offensive or not, maybe what you want to say isn't something that needs to be said.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

OK this is a cool turn. So I picked up Dawn of War II recently, since I liked the original Dawn of War and expansions so much. It's OK, but a bit easy to get through once you're leveled up, and I miss the base-building mechanics. I felt the originals did a very good job of giving you a little bit of base building, without it being a major-league part of the game like Starcraft. I enjoyed the squad reinforcement mechanic and moving units as groups with a leader. DOW2 felt like it strayed too far from that formula.

Are any of the other games in the series reminiscent of the first set of games? Necrons were my favorite.

No, they tried to bridge the RTS-MOBA gap with the mechanics (directly controlled hero units, no base building, limited resources) and it didn't stick so obviously they did it again for DOW3 because that's a good idea.

The Total War games are also nothing like the classic RTS gameplay of the original DOW (and are also based on WHFB, the lovely boring warhammer flavour)

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 26, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I ever get my head this far up my own rear end about being asked not to use certain words I hope someone puts me out of my misery, holy poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those numbers feel super low for a game with 2 million accounts created players

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

(for the love of god, please tell me wusses isn't a word that is offensive to some group!)

What is wrong with you

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You mean they got docking collars working by surprise

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hav posted:

So, not a designer, and not an actual developer.

A writer for evolve, a game that barely survived beta.

Wasn't evolve multiplayer only and so had the most barebones possible writing requirements because ultimately nobody gives a gently caress why you're shooting mans when they're being controlled by other people?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

haldolium posted:

No.

Also because it's the German word for 'give' and just sounds dumb in that context.

Really? I thought it was just idiot internet 'cutesy' meme speak for "give"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

It could very well be at a low. And if that's the case, I'm glad.

Dementropy's quote just a few posts above implies a discussion of a goon with a shill (or shithead).

The point is they now assume anyone who questions the project is a goon, they reply like that to virtually anyone who does anything other than circlejerk over how awesome the game is going to be when it 100% definitely comes out for realsies.

There are probably still a handful of poop touchers but even if there were some magical way to stop eager dimwits from poking the beehive the redditors would still be seeing imaginary goons everywhere they look.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cloud Imperium Gamespy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

god i forgot about him. But it wasn't him.

Wasn't it his wife/girlfriend?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hav posted:

I'm going to wait and see. Sometimes couples get a bit public with their laundry.

This ain't it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yes, i've said from the start that if this poo poo show ever reaches version 1.0, I will absolutely buy it. If CIG can deliver on their original promises from 2012, this will absolutely be my dream story driven space shooter. At this point I feel 100% confident in saying that will not happen.

Oh boy you’re in for a treat, they hit 1.0 like 6 years ago! You’re 2 full version numbers behind already, you better get playing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Has Montoya gone bald waiting for the game to come out? I swear he used to have hair.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

10 years into this space game the most exciting two things have been:
Big Benny's Noodle Machine
A penguin

You forgot hello kitty with the serial numbers filed off.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jonny Shiloh posted:

You know what, that doesn't sound so bad.

Pull up, thread

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wait so Clifford now streams as a 3D model of a big titty anime.

How does that reconcile with him talking? Is it not weird as poo poo with his words coming out of a big titty anime?

I mean that’s the least pressing question the whole situation raises but I’m not gonna open that can of worms, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Flannelette posted:

I still don't get what he's talking about.
Does he want to have the base unit of computing be 3bits with software and write the whole game so that the computer reads it as base 8 converted to binary?
Or does he want magic math that makes binary turned into base 8 that is magically better?

Both.