Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

These people sound exactly like Elon Musk fans. It's the exact same "he proved the naysayers wrong and always did everything he said he'd do! *covers ears when people list the 871 things that have been blatantly lied about or that failed to happen*" rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Especially since graphics fidelity hits diminishing returns. Each generation now, the improvements are going to be less and less dramatic and noticeable.

This has really been noticeable. It's actually kind of interesting how people from roughly the ages of like 25-40 were probably the generation with the biggest change in video game visuals during their youth. Like, during K-12 I saw the progression from NES to PS2. The PS3 generation is the last console generation that represented what I'd consider a dramatic visual improvement. But there honestly hasn't been a very big improvement in pretty much all the time since I graduated college or so. I mean, it's still kinda noticeable, but when I was younger 10+ years would have represented a huge change.

And I definitely think we've hit the point of significantly diminishing returns largely because even if GPUs improve, it still takes more effort to generate the actual assets. And even in terms of sheer performance, modern hardware really struggles with higher resolutions, with even the most powerful hardware around not being able to run the more taxing games at 4k with max settings and high FPS.

I think the poster who said that Star Citizen people being impressed is because many of these people are adult men who haven't played any games since the 00's (or earlier) was likely spot on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I saw a Star Citizen fan in a Youtube comment yesterday, and he talked about how Star Citizen needs all the money from the ships to develop the ground-breaking game they're making. He said that he had 15 years in game development and realized that to make such a complex game you need $24k workstations, lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

It's not that other studios don't bother with it, it's that anyone can try it and see that it produces a horrible moiré pattern which anyone could tell you who's done 3d graphics in the last couple of decades. It's a detail that makes the result look less realistic than if you'd just skipped it.

The thing that bugs me the most is that in the hyper-future of this game, the idea that screens would have noticeable pixels is hilarious.

This reminds me of my dogs. One is this just this wall of muscle, while the other has a sort of skinny build like a greyhound (they're both rescue mutts, with the latter sort of looking like a cross between a husky and greyhound). When we first got them as puppies, the latter was a few months older (and thus larger). This seems to have permanently ingrained a relationship between them, where the first dog is constantly deferential to the latter.

Btw I normally don't like the "post random animal pictures/gifs in threads" thing, but this thread has some pretty great choices.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 4, 2021