Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
lol star citizen is gonna cost a billion dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
looking up SC videos and poo poo, theres a creepy corporate/capitalist worshipping vibe to the whole thing. i dont just mean the jpeg buying aspect, but the ***LORE***; like the car advertisements and the preoccupation with "luxury", consumerism and status.

the theme of corporate dystopia has been used a lot in sci-fi but in SC it seems to be completely in-earnest (and utterly naive) which is actually kind of fitting for a game funded on predatory salesmanship. the unification of these ludo- and meta- narratives is very impressive.

in summary chris martin is a genius

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
the corporate entities (HURRston dynamics, Repetitive Strain Injury etc.) become characters in-and-of themselves, and are omni-present around the 'verse (universe). the overarching corporate power structure is 100% taken for granted by the player and the whole setting seems to embrace and promote it. its a universe without culture, with entire planets carpeted in 40 story used car dealerships and fascist iconography.

the most terrifying part is that this apparently represents utopia for large amounts of pudgy middle-aged men

zebedy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 3, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
of the near endless possible futures of humanity, chrisberts chooses the one featuring the Citadel from HL2, operated by Bear Stearns. all thats missing are some PBR anti-homeless bench bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXBO72WQ2c&t=1293s

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Bumble He posted:

i think that this complete clusterfuck off lore/vision/fiction and reality is exactly what the cultists crave. there are definetly different types of “gamers“ out there. i love “run and gun“ games, pure simple fun. i give a rat's rear end about story, levelling up my character or collecting trophies/loot/etc. but that's what most gamers really enjoy.
I actually like a lot of lore/world building nerd poo poo, which makes SC all the more interesting. obviously it is juvenile and derivative, but the psychology behind it is fascinating - out of everything they could have come up with, what defines their escapist fantasy? militarism, consumerism and corporatism. hierarchy and domination. it even seeps out to how the game is marketed and how the shitizens relate to each other.

to me the iconography in that youtube video i posted signals "dystopia". its creepy and authoritarian. but as far i can tell its played totally straight? i dont think christmas roberts is making a point about the dangers of corporatism run amok, probably the opposite (unconsciously, because hes a hack). similar imagery was used in Star Wars - one of his """""""""inspirations""""""""" - but for the BAD GUYS.

ok ill stop posting weird poo poo now

zebedy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 3, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
btw where did the chris-roberts-as-a-bear thing come from i must have missed that part

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Chris Roberts' target audience is guys who watched Starship Troopers and didn't realise it was a satire.
yeah i was really close to bringing up starship troopers, its a real litmus test for GAMER types

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
Introducing Chris Roberts' Zombo Com: The Game, a Chris Roberts game.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

iospace posted:

I come bearing a message from Beet:

glitched star citizen NPC in the background

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Bofast posted:

Ah, yes. Aegis. I can't even keep track of all the stupid fictional corporations at this point. They are all so bland and generic it's almost impossible to remember.

thats the one that really punches above its weight

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
i have information that will lead to the downfall of star citizen

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
itss poo poo

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

skeletors_condom posted:

I hope for his own sake that he is BSing.

MY OFFICERS

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And what's slated for Citizencon?
There will be a sporting event, ending with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, and boxing matches ending with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, and also flight races ending with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. Evocati members will be forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not buying jpegs. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during Citizencon and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

eXXon posted:

Last year was caves, this year is going to be caves, but underwater.

they are already underwater, technically

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

a subtle nod to kirk v gorn, chris you've done it again!

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
the "simulation" aspect only extends as far as awkwardly arising from your Hugo-Boss branded wank chamber and hypothetical space-rape mechanics.

the actual gameplay looks like go-karts in space. they keep talking about pilot skill but its the most basic, boring shite.

zebedy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 24, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
can someone please link me that thread recap website?

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

BRB pooping posted:

Seven years of devtime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTGVsRBf2iw

Seven. Years.

Edit: I read the comments. It´s just a cult now.

high fidelity loving food courts.
CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

he hits all the talking points in his first response: more content in alpha than other full games, the company had to grow, blah blah.
its like a script

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
im the guy solemnly moonwalking and twitching in place during a video game funeral

seriously are the animations/netcode getting worse? lmao

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
i wish they would shut up about the fact it has space and planet landings. its not groundbeaking, it has been a solved problem for years.
space engine was made by one crazy russian guy (proper size, not this 1/10th scale poo poo). the guys who made infinity battlescape have been showing off their technology since like 2008 (with plans to make a space MMO - basically starcitizen). outerra has the full planet earth rendered from height data, with procedural details down to cm scale (again programmed by one person). obviously elite dangerous has this stuff too, not to mention the original frontier games.

and 100million km^2 of empty space does not count as content you dumb gently caress

zebedy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 27, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
Object Container Streaming! they are going on about having the server not simulate every object in the universe all at once like its some technological breakthrough! its such a basic and obvious thing that the noone ever bothered to name the concept until star citizen. this """company""" is Streaming Objects out of their rear end.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

colonelwest posted:

realistic/hard sci-fi space sim

I agree that such a game would be interesting, but the idea of Star Citizen being (or ever seriously trying to be) a sim is a myth. There is nothing realistic about jet fighters in space. These nerds want a game set in space, except they remove everything that would make it interesting (thinking about how space combat might actually work, proper gravity simulation, time dilation and traveling huge distances etc). For them, simulation is just a euphemism for "like Star Wars", but where you can listen to your high-poly Fascist bunkmate doing buggy motion-captured wanking while stationed off the moon of Rebus V or whatever the gently caress.

zebedy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 30, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
Games › Star Citizen: Trust Me!

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
lots of game development non-understanders here, sad. the STARENGINE was designed by chris specifically for large scale space MMOs - refactoring it to make a traditional FPS like SQ42 is going to take time. once they finish the conversion from double to single precision (chris is personally working on this) we can expect MUCH faster development.

zebedy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 2, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
uhh well you see the computer has like a "list" of, uh, characters. and we have to look at the list and say to the computer to uhhhh look at the list but then we need to put the uhhh guy back inside the list and the computer gets confused.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
do u think chris lies in bed, sleepless, getting panic attacks at the 300 million house of cards he has failed into. his only comfort, sandis boney shoulder.

nah he probably thinks hes a legend

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

There's a certain type of personality you see a lot online, especially in gaming communities. They are very prone to black-and-white thinking and basically can't handle nuance or context. To them, the word "scam" means "evil person plans and knowingly executes lies and trickery to steal". They don't see evidence which meets this impossible standard so it's "WELL ACTUALLY SIR THATS TECHNICALLY NOT A SCAM". They usually end up becoming alt-right types, where bad-faith arguments serve them well.

It is a scam. Regardless of Chris Robloxs early plans, or conscious awareness of what he and his elite team of Lost Boys are doing, it is functionally a scam.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Spiderdrake posted:

It's interesting realizing that this is the clearest evidence this is a scam. I mean I know it's a scam, but actually articulating it in a paragraph or two is irritating.

Citizens have several difficulty with any element of nuance, though, so I'm not saying they can be convinced. But the blatant falsehoods about how far the game was along become pretty damning when they're not a month or a year but several years off the most generous assessments. When you're that far off, you're intentionally misleading and bullshitting to keep the money flowing. You can not possibly have thought the game was a year or two out given the actual rate of progress since. Even easy problems cripple CIG. The model viewer operates at a level worse than Crysis 3 does.

Though to be Scruffpuffian for a moment it is entirely within the dumbness of Roberts to known so little about game development he genuinely thought they were making leaps and bounds of progress toward his idiot dream. To go back to that analogy posted several pages back, Roberts is too loving stupid to see the walnuts in the sieve, so maybe you could be charitable and argue its a scam through pure dumbfuckery.

But the argument always comes back to the fact they can't grasp the idea the best scams involve a cashflow of money that can be constantly siphoned from. They always present it as a traveling snake oil salesman sort of thing, arriving with a magic universal tonic and being driven off by the sheriff.

The citizens deserve their Chris.

I think they do believe they are telling the truth. Sure, they missed all their latest deadlines, but if they just really get down to it in the next few months they can make huge progress. They really mean it this time!

This is why they keep going on about "pipelines" and Hail Mary tech like OBJECT CONTAINER STREAMING and SERVER MESHING (BY CHRIS ROBERTS DO NOT STEAL). I think they are just as brainwashed as the citizens and a £300,000,000 means a lot of motivated reasoning (can you imagine the stress of realizing you are loving it up).

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
why do they have citizencon? was it a stretch goal? utter insanity

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
and blockchain

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: VendingMachien_Puzzle_Restock

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
CIG have pioneered the use of both underscore and PascalCase, this is revolutionary

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Dementropy posted:

[url=https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dy5i79/who_is_ready_to_see_those_anvil_girls/]

Sorry, just to be clear here - this is them roleplaying a controversy about their in-game corporation and expo "boothbabes"? am I right??

wwhat the gently caress???

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
honestly this deeply, deeply internalized consumerist/corporate mindset is the creepiest thing about STAR CITIZENS

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, filling 100 real scale planets with content is absolutely impossible. GTA can barely do a scale version of a single city, even as detailed as those games are. Red Dead's cities have to be scaled down in order to have a bigger overall space. Trying to do a single city to actual, 100% fidelity scale is still unrealistic, much less literally thousands and thousands of cities.

You have two options:

One real city as the hub of each planet, and the rest is just background dressing and space to right enemies in. (GTA)

Lots of cities, but procedural generated, so they all follow templates and use the same content in different arrangements. (No Man's Sky)

Both are reasonable, and plenty good for videogames. Having 1,000 cities wouldn't even add anything meaningful to the game; as a player you'd barely have time in your life to explore a couple of them. Its a fool's errand to even try to do more, but Roberts is the ultimate fool and Star Citizen is that errand.

really makes the scale comparisons they like to do totally ridiculous. like, a large team has a certain capacity for content creation - GTA chose to use those man hours on a single city. the sheer size of the universe in units is totally meaningless, otherwise space engine is the greatest game ever.

procedural terrain is cool, but its not content

zebedy fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 19, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Zaphod42 posted:

Star Citizen planets have assholes :lol:

you could fit the entirity of Skyrim in one planets butthole

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

:chloe:

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
daddy chris pulled it out of his planet-arse and doesn't know what he's talking about, hope this helps mate :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

no_recall posted:

Looking back at the raffle spreadsheets, this thread has given more game than Star Citizen has.

We must thank CR for bringing us together around the dumpster fire.

Lets gets drunk and goondeyadda as CitizenCon streams.

In 2016, Sandweed won a copy of Hellblade (courtesy of TheAgent) with the guess of 7.4M raised

Stuff i've scraped so far: (tell me if yours is missing)
Agony Aunt I'm going for a cool 260 million.
Jobbo_Fett 247,861,935
Dogeh $262, 426, 969
monkeytek $248,424,242
Bubbacub $247,696,969
Quavers $250,424,242
spacetoaster 1$
Thoatse 247,420,069
his nibs $265,227,605
Baxta 258,522,420
Kosumo $248,457,941 (Just like Chris Roberts game design, I too pulled it out of my rear end)
Zaphod42 1m
Koil $251,947,069
jarlywarly $255,328,603
Jonny Shiloh $261,135,996 +/- $1
Sanya Juutilainen 255,420,069
Mr.PayDay so I am going with $252,020,24.
Peter.Quint $254,603,497
UnknownTarget 250,000,000
precision $255,743,119
Zazz Razzamatazz $267,999,999
Bofast $267,593,481
Inacio 258,000,000
GoingPostal $258,895,345 in successful jpeg sales.
Viscous Soda $242,779,811.99
TheAgent $246,948,655
AutismVaccine 252,080,085
Spatial 246,512,768
h3isenbug 256,789,012
Sabreseven $248,902,021
Dragonrah $253,769,823
Ponzi $265,000,000
Zzr $251,227,605

$251,000,000