Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Pixelate posted:

Of course it's real.

Kept watching that video and it came to their procedurally generated fried eggs and baked beans. I’d forgotten all about that hilarious poo poo!

“Additionally, shown as one of our sneak peeks earlier in the year, the mess hall menu for the crew of the stanton has been under development”

link to 5m08s timestamp

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
y’all mocking this live in a discord or irc anywhere?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
"

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
hi ladies i’m has ii

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Popete posted:

The flight model is still so bad, it looks like someones holding up a model by a piece of string in front of a green screen.

It really irritates me that whenever someone says it looks terrible/noclippy, a whale will immediately shoot back that while it may look odd it’s actually perfectly accurate. You see, CIG have, for never explained reasons, given the ships the most powerful thrusters in the verse which can apply thrust infinitely quickly in any direction. It’s designed to be lovely and massless on purpose, so you’re stupid for thinking it’s broken.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Im 99% sure the Vanduul characters in that video are recycled from previous appearances. The background might be a bit more fancy but the animations and posing was all very familiar.

Given how much we laugh at how little CIG have done with their human race, its easy to forget that they’re supposed to be developing multiple alien races with the buildings, cities, models, animations, sounds, etc. that go with that. All we’ve seen so far are some HIDEOUS vanduul designs and some crazy fake language nonsense.

edit: conspicuous by their absence were the A lister hollywood celebs from squadron 42, i’d have thought their tier 0 mark hamil and gillian anderson would be front and center. instead we got nothing... wonder what’s going on there. i’d love to be a fly on the wall...

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 26, 2019

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

tuo posted:

It sucks...

Yeah, I lost a cat to kidney issues and it was heartbreaking. Sorry. Sounds like you gave her a good life though and it ended painlessly... we should all be so lucky!

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Not seen this before, I'm sure it's done the rounds, but a lot of CIG's scummy behaviour is in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Can I ask a serious question for the game devs, please?

All the hype about how in SC you don’t “become the ship” while flying, you are still controlling the player model who is controlling the ship. How could you possible tell the difference between these two things in a video game? It’s still just pressing a button and the ship does forwards.

If someone tells me the button is controlling a foot which is then pressing a pedal to move the ship rather than just moving the ship and triggering an animation of a foot pressing a pedal... what loving difference does it make?

Sorry, but this claim of true player control vs becoming the ship absolutely boggles my brain and I just can’t understand what would be gained from not ‘faking’ it?

Detailed answers would be appreciated, I’m sure it boils down to FIDELITY, but is there something I’m missing? Like, their true 3rd person/1st person animation sync thing... is there a benefit beyond being able to say you’re doing a thing most people don’t bother with?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Don’t forget the multiple alien races that haven’t been seen outside of concept art... and a weird guy teaching you how to speak a fake language he made up years ago.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
https://youtu.be/sueRIan3DhY

Yup, time well spent.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I have never put over 100 hours in to a single game, nevermind spending 100 hours just to earn enough space bucks to buy a single ingame vehicle.

It's like those people who post about how much Elite sucks and has no content and turns out they've played it for like 300 hours.

Capital-G Gamers are broken.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

The Titanic posted:

This has always been a reason why I'm not able to play an mmo for very long. I like when the lore level stuff comes hot and furious and it feels like you're getting places, but once "the grind" sets in, I lose interest pretty fast.

Locking anything like "your first level up" behind 100 hours of playing a game, where you're likely doing the same thing over and over for those hours... not cool.

I'm sure there are people out there who like that. :shrug:

To be honest, I’ve never understood the concept of ‘grind’ in a video game. I understand why some games use it to push people in to paying for mtx to skip it, but there are plenty of games where it seems to be a genuine part of the games design.

I’m sure i’ll soon hear from the people who love grinding for incrementally better loot, but I’ve personally never found the fun in it. I love mocking SC, but the thought of playing a game where I’m forced to spend literal hours travelling when doing a mission, thats the exact same as the last mission and the next mission too, is hell.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

G0RF posted:

It’s not very fun in Elite. Too much time burnt, too little possibility of big upside surprises.

It’s a lot more fun in Diablo. Click click click click BOOM “oh hell yeah this changes everything!” Click click click click click...

GAMASUTRA: The psychology of Diablo III loot

So, I read the article, but it confused me a bit. Are you/the article saying that Diablo 3 is actually fun, or it’s just very good at pretending to be? I suppose, ultimately, if someone feels they are having fun and have spent their time well, how others view their choice is irrelevant. :/

edit: cat

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 21, 2020

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

In the worst case scenario that these forums get shut down, all citizens are welcome to hangout in here while we figure things out: https://discord.gg/ZQ9tyk

(for a modest fee of $999,99, citizenship is earned)

I have also just setup a simple clone, so that people can post in a familiar looking place if they want. No 10 dollar reg fee atm, or even email verification, but I reserve the right to ban right wing assholes at will (if anyone signs up besides bots).

https://awfulforums.com

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

quote:

They also began leveraging the usable system functionalities of the bartender in a combat scenario. In the social environment, they created the concept of usables that can produce and accept items:

“An ammo box is nothing else than an item provider. The item itself could produce magazines or it might have magazines attached, similar to how a beer fridge can contain beer bottles, but a mixing station can create the drinks from specific source items. This allows NPCs to search for places in the world that can provide them with magazines of a specific type, relocate to those objects, and refill their loadout. This gives opportunity for the player and forces NPCs to evaluate the environment to decide if and when it’s appropriate to use those refill spots.”

Gibberish

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I liked how in their latest video they pretty much said all the original mocap is too old and unusable so they’ve been refilming it all.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I feel like both phrases, “black lives matter” and “defund the police” are, in hindsight, really easy for disingenuous dickheads to attack. “Black lives matter too” and “restructure the police” (or something better) would give them less room to do their “all lives matter” bullshit. I know most decent people don’t think people saying Black Lives Matter is saying white lives don’t matter, but they would at least have to work harder to be secret nazis. Does that make sense? Sorry, bit of a stream of consciousness post.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah.... but that's basically tone policing black people because of what white supremacists do. The problem is the racists.

Also the "too" would detract from the whole strength of the statement. If you aren't a piece of poo poo its not hard to get.

It is really the pieces of poo poo I’m referring to. They’re also really good at twisting poo poo to make nazi stuff sound ‘reasonable’, like I can imagine some people hear “all lives matter” and are unfortunately persuaded by it. I don’t think being aware that the far right will try and spin things and asking if wording things in a way that reduces their ability to do that is something worth considering is tone policing black people, is it? Genuine question.

Asking yourself “can what I’m saying be spun by the nazis to make me sound unreasonable to the masses?” seems to be necessary at the moment given how quickly and easily this stuff spreads online and how the far right looks to be gaining influence in way too many countries. I don’t know if trying to beat them at their own game is a good idea or not. Is what we’re doing at the moment working?

One of my coworkers asked me if I’d heard of The Quartering a few months ago and now I’m hearing him say stuff like “go woke, go broke” and generally tumbling down the YouTube rabbit hole of right wing poo poo and it concerns me as it seemed to come out of nowhere, based on the years we’ve worked together and our discussions about politics in the past.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

FYI, you can mark a specific post as your last read point on the Awful app, i am not sure how to on chrome.

IIRC, video game spaces are typically much larger than real spaces in large part because of third person cameras. They need a *lot* of room to work properly and look good. How does this apply to Star Citizen? Well...it doesn't. They don't have a reason, it's just how they did it at Full Sail I guess.

Is star citizen still intended to be 100% first person? I feel like the third person camera was talked about as a temporary thing, to avoid things like giving people using it an advantage in combat by looking around corners, etc. I really hope Chris forces them all in to first person only soon.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

reddit posted:

You didn't even mention how many new and unique ships we've gotten with new features, and the fact that every single planet has been added in the last 3 years. 2013-2017 was building the company, 2018 to now has been actual development and it shows.

Development didn't even start until 2018 you fudsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I mean, they're not totally wrong.