Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Why was The Crow Sting so cool and will there ever be a dark 90's grunge gimmick as cool as that again? (the kind of 90s dark grunge gimmick where the wrestler never utters a word, but has magical powers that allow him/her/they to appear behind their enemy from a puff of smoke or burst through the center of the ring with a baseball bat, or maybe transform themselves from a gross sweaty ringside fan to cool dark 90s face painted freak a la a magician's trick?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Which wrestler can make the biggest fart?

I think it was against most fire codes for Andre The Giant to fart indoors

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

It was cool because it was a gimmick change that worked for the character, the gimmick caught lightning in a bottle with regard to the 90s zeitgeist, and the company was committed to building it.

There won't be another Dark 90s Grunge Goth Gimmick because it's not the 90s anymore. But to do it again, you'd have to come up with a similarly timely gimmick, then have the patience to build up a star by having them appear often enough to maintain interest, without ever wrestling or even speaking, for like 10 months. Then, if you want to surpass WCW, you'd have to not completely gently caress up the blowoff.

you're right it was goth, Raven was grunge. never the less, I think what I'm really trying to say here is lets have some vampires again. bring back THE BROOD

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

lost my old email posted:

gangrel was so fuken cool man like not actual cool but liike wrestling cool like syxx-pac still thinks that he and his buddies wearing fubu shirts and doing decades old johnny carson bits was actual cool i do not have the heart to tell him otherwise

hell freakin yeah

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Apologies for kramering in here with an unrelated question to the current topic but I remember buying a VHS tape of WWE (I think it might've been before the rebrand) Best of Hardcore Title matches hosted by Tazz. One of the matches featured was a women's hardcore match that I'm pretty sure was between Tori and Ivory. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I vividly remember a spot where they wrestle to a backstage area and Ivory (I think? maybe it was the other way around) took a hot iron to Tori's back and burned the poo poo out of her with it and I even remember seeing the mark it left behind and the blood curdling scream Tori belted out. Thinking back on it, I can't believe that spot even happened and am super curious to know what the deal was behind the scenes about it, like, was it agreed to beforehand? Was it improv and if so how did Tori handle/react to it after the match? Has to be a gnarly triangle shaped scar on her back forever now you'd think. I don't know, maybe I just marked out super hard and it was a really well done work or maybe I hallucinated it. Does anyone else remember this match?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

So here's the match in question, timestamped to when the iron appears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxoMAyC4NLE&t=211s

To me it looks staged, the searing sound seems added and the attack didn't so much leave a scar as it did bloody up her upper back. If I had to guess they gimmicked the iron somehow to leave a bunch of fake blood behind without actually hurting Tori.

Ok, yeah that makes sense. I just remember being mindblown by the spot because holy poo poo a hot iron?! I'm still impressed by it all these years later even though it (rightfully) turned out to be a work.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Shard posted:

Ivory was so jacked she ruled

I definitely remember being intimidated by her and I only felt that way about one other female wrestler at the time and that was Jacqueline (Chyna too I suppose). Ivory vs. Jacqueline would've been a pretty good match think, I don't recall if that match up ever happened though.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

They had 34 televised matches with each other, including eleven singles matches mostly on secondary shows, and none of them appearing to go more than three minutes.

I've certainly seen at least a few of those matches in that case, but I don't recall and that's likely more on my dumb teenaged stoner brain than it was on the matches being forgettable.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Who would be widely regarded as the stiffest in the ring in recent history (let's say... the past 30 years or so) I wonder?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

MassRafTer posted:

They were almost certainly forgettable.

You know what isn't forgettable but I wish was? That one time Mae Young exposed her puppies on some live ppv (I've forgotten which one in a twist of cruel irony)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The Steiners beat the everliving gently caress out of jobbers when they weren't sexually assaulting them in the showers

:stare:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

little munchkin posted:

not sure of the reasoning but yea they were prosthetics

more mentally scarring than actual old lady boobs somehow

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
pupperinos

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

sometimes i just watch terry gordy mid-south squash matches where he gets bored with his opponents and goes after drunk rednecks in the crowd instead

One of my favorite wrestler/fan interactions is the unhinged chain-swinging maniac Bruiser Brodie chasing legit terrified Japanese fans through the bleachers just going berserko mode

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Some five hour long AJW shows with full English subs for promos even, it's great.

I need this in my life

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

:tipshat:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
If my memory serves I seem to remember an interview where it was mentioned that there was a last minute issue with the guitar (or really the lack therof) and it was pressing to get one to the venue ASAP. An inexperienced assistant was sent frantically to find a guitar from a local pawn shop or music store and the assistant just bought a real resin lacquered (very hard finish meant to protect the instrument from wear and damage) six string guitar in a frenzied haste and the rest is spinal compression history.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Has there ever been a botched kickout that actually changed the results of a match? Or at least caused controversy in a non-worked way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I bet the reactions from the wrestlers were pretty funny, especially from the ones that were supposed to lose. Like trying badly to not look shocked or surprised and sell it.

"What!? I won?.... uh, I mean yeah! I won!"

lol