Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Which Lucha wrestlers who worked for WCW were the best outside of WCW?

Or to put it another way, we’re Rey Mysterio and Eddie the best lucha wrestlers WCW had to offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

oh but seriously I posted:

IS ERIC BISCHOFF IN TALKS WITH YOKOZUNA??! ***CLICK HERE FOR MORE***

I see you frequently visited LordsOfPain as well.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Excuse me. You all have forgotten about the great “Iron” Mike Sharp? He was the elite jobber of late 80’s WWF.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Aesop Poprock posted:

"Nature Boy" is a song by eden ahbez, published in 1947. The song tells a fantasy of a "strange enchanted boy... who wandered very far" only to learn that "the greatest thing... was just to love and be loved in return".

Flair took that to mean traveling in jets and doing blow off hookers tits which is a more modern interpretation

What did Buddy Rodgers take it to mean?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

When did Delirious lose the book at ROH?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Does the Louie Spicolli/Larry Zybyzko thing count?

I’m not recalling what this is, can someone help me out?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

I always wondered how CM Punk got away with keeping his own name.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

It's probably been a problem forever, but I feel like the weird generic names started being A Thing back in the first season of NXT. I seem to recall them announcing the original roster for NXT and everyone making jokes about names like Heath Slater and Wade Barrett.

Didn't HUSKY HARRIS pause for a second during his confessional like it was the first time he'd heard his name?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Dutchy posted:

I'm sure this has come up at some point but are there any recommended books about Japanese wrestling history? Articles, docs, podcasts, whatever are good too. No specific eras/promotions/people, pretty much anything before Okada broke out will do

Yeah I want to know more about renzokan(??) and Baba where do I look?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Was One Man Gang ever outed as a Nazi?

It looks like the skull on his tights from the 80s (Pre-Akeem) has the Deaths Head Skull that the SS used.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Adrian Adonis signs with WWF was the greatest of all the fake news articles. I miss Scotsman’s old site that had the recaps of all his feuds.

For other old IWC personalities, last I heard was that Mike Samuda (MiCasa) committed fraud, Sean Shannon transitioned and then kind of disappeared, and Rick Scaia kind of kept Online Onslaught around for a while off and on.

Does anyone know what happened to Eric S. from 411? I can’t even remember how to spell his last name so I can’t google him.

szulczewski

He hasn’t written in years from what I can find. Seems like his real career took off and he didn’t have any time left.

Late 90’s / early 00’s was weird in retrospect, I fell away after WCW folded and just kept reading Hyatte and Eric S and Tito out of habit. Then life moved one and I stopped caring until WH2K became PSP and now I keep up through you guys. Largely in these more general threads vs company specific threads. Maybe one day I’ll watch something more then the Rumble but I doubt it.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Does the young boy / dojo system in Japan have its roots in the sumo schools?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Who was the masked writer who wrote bits for old Deadspin about 5ish years ago? They were really good for this semi-lapsed fan to read back then. But then he stopped and I never really tried to follow.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

What do they do with the vanity belts that are no longer in use? Like the weed belt or the smoking skull belt?

And where is the million dollar belt now anyway?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

What happened to Mr Touchdown. He got the title win, got hurt, then stopped working for Chikara well before the company imploded. Did he and Quack have a falling out.

Did anyone take their Chikara gimmicks elsewhere?

Does Kaiju Bug Batel still happen?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Answers Me posted:

Is current WWE really the company's nadir? Because I'm working my way through the Worst Gimmick Tournament thread and the mid-2000s seems way worse.

I thought it was the 90s between Hulkamania and Attitude eras

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

karmicknight posted:

I guess my question was less about managers that were once wrestlers, but wrestlers that stayed active while becoming managers.

Like Sweet and Sour Larry Sweeney?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

What if the underlying message of the Acolytes were they didn’t need to be brainwashed, because they were onboard already?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

karmicknight posted:

Now, onto other business, wherein babyface Tony Schiavone defends Jim Duggan's intelligence and Bobby Heenan has a laughing fit, because Jim Duggan's gimmick did include him being very loving stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

In his art of wrestling interview with Colt Cabana he came off as someone who easily fell into designated lines / scripted responses. Something like always repeating the board the tongue and the thumb when talking about the gimmick. Clearly he was more intelligent then portrayed but not the smartest guy in the world.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

1glitch0 posted:

Ted DiBiase?

Didn’t he turn face while at WCW and working with the Steiners against the NWO?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Do we have any real details on the Lloyd’s of London contracts Rude, Henning, etc had and what the stipulations were for injury payouts? How could Henning have collected it but still come back but Rude couldn’t?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

What was the name of the company that ran in a NYC playground? Hoodslam?

Also did Human Tornado parlay his internet fame into an actual run anywhere of note?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

What are some reputable sites for getting high quality more complex Lucha masks? Like Psycho Clown and La Parka?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Do you think the WWE will try and recreate the Shield with different supporting members like later iterations of the 4 Horseman or has that kind of stable with a core that rotates supporting members not a thing anymore?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Defenestrategy posted:

On the flip side Japan had some pretty cool stuff going on. Megumi Kudo, Manami Toyota, and Bull Nakano had some bangers in the 90s.

Edit: In America who would have had the best in ring performance and was widely known in the 90's? Would it have been Alundra? Maybe Jazz?

In my memory banks the only women that stand out in the 90s was Blaze / Medusa. I don’t remember Moolah or Mae Young at all.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Man mountain rock was the dude who in the very early 2000s was planning on releasing a “behind the scene” movie of his backstage recordings on a camcorder or something right?

Whatever happened to that?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

More content like the other Vice docuseries on Wrestling where they had episodes on Canadian Reservation Shows and the South American Women Wrestlers and Exoticos. They showed parts of the business that I heard of over the years but not really had exposure to.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Did Icarus, Ophidean, or UltraMantis Black or any of the other big names ever land with other promotions outside of Chikara? It seems like a good portion of them just opted to retire.

I know Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy are in AEW but AFAIK they left before Chikara shut down.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

poemdexter posted:

My fiancee got me into wrestling and as much as I resisted, it's actually fun to watch and yell about how awful it is at times. She's still a big Enzo fan which is "before my time" since I'm relatively new to the whole scene. After seeing how much he was loved by the crowd, I was surprised by the departure due to sexual assault allegations. Of course, it likely (and awful) was that he actually sexually assaulted some woman and got away with it. But because he made it out the other side clean, I can't help but think it was a set up by WWE management. My theory is that Enzo is such a stupid character, like absolutely pants on head insane character, that McMahon didn't want him to actually be popular. Face or heel, it didn't seem to matter the crowd ate up his promos and ring presence. The man can certainly create catch phrases out of thin air. But McMahon wanting wrestling to be a "real sport" so he could finally be seen as peers with football team owners got the best of him, he couldn't have an Enzo being the star of the show so he had to destroy Enzo with something that would stain him permanently so he couldn't take fans with him wherever he went after.

This is all conjecture after zero research and personal theorycrafting, and I would love for someone to tell me it's more complicated than Enzo did a very bad thing and had to go.

AFAIK Enzo was fired because he didn’t tell management about the accusation, which then blindsided the company hen they were made public. The story is complicated as I’m not sure if Enzo even knew of the accusations at the time of his release, but WWE took the chance to ditch a guy who had stalled out popularity wise, was exceedingly poor in the ring, and was hated by the locker room.

Anything more complex then the WWE ditching a headache at an opportune time when it would make them look good by pushing a “zero-tolerance policy” is probably incorrect.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Shard posted:

Got a bunch of heel related questions

Who's character improved the most from a heel turn?

Who's character had the best reason to turn heel?

Earliest Turn?

Shawn Michaels turning from A Rocker into HBK.

Macho Man being overshadowed by Hulk in his WMIV title win and Macho’s previously established jealousy and paranoia and the build to the Mega Powers Explode was nearly flawless to me.

Andre? I think Andre was it for me. I know of Orndorf’s turn but if I watched it I don’t remember. Growing up my parents put up with wrestling, but I was one of those watch the cartoon kids as my gateway. Then when I started to watch the real WWF on Sunday afternoons on USA Network! The disjoint was hard for me to understand at the time. Like I don’t think I ever saw a live JYD match until years later on an old random taped event but I knew OF JYD and Hillbilly Jim from the Cartoon. I’m still not sure I have ever seen Jim wrestle a match now that I think about it. Same with Capt Lou and a host of others from the cartoon.

We should watch the cartoons together.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

CopywrightMMXI posted:

He faked his death? I thought he died a few years back but he faked that?

Yeah everything I read was that he died of some kind of terminal cancer after stopping treatment.

But TBH nothing would surprise me.

Eric S of 411mania and Mr Tito’s Phat Daily Column were some of my must reads during that 99-01 period where I wasn’t watching wrestling but was following it via the sites.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

What a monster! Cav’s my bubbie!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

I can’t help but think of Prichard as Brother Love and that guy weirded me out as a kid.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Arm Anderson’s Spine Buster

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

1999 is when the panic booking starts in earnest so it makes sense that they start doing weird experiments with the midcarders.

Wasn’t Van Hammer supposed to be Private Stash in the Misfits in Action stable but threw a hissyfit about it and got changed to maybe Major Stash??

You had Lash Leroux as Corporal Cajun, Chavo Guerrero as Lt. Loco, Hugh Morris as Gen. Hugh G Rection, and then Major Gunns as the valet IIRC.

Edit: But then MIA ended up with two Majors and it ruined the “joke”

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Wouldn't how much stock I assume Dunn owes also be a factor? It may be too expensive to buy him out.

As a publicly traded company it doesn’t matter how much stock Dunn owns. They fire him tomorrow and what? He sells? He’d be one of thousands, and if it was enough to move the stock price the dip would be normalized over time.

I imagine it’s the stress load of running 3x weekly shows with no down time that turns most people off, now try to find 2 or 3 of them to cover all the shows. That’s probably where the real issue is, how many people would be needed in the near to middle term to replace Dunn. Not like WWE has historically had any formalized succession plans.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

So I had dropped out of wrestling fandom after the death of WCW. Was X Factor xpac’s split from DX or something? Did they feud with HHH or ???

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Because she got fired. In the middle of a war if you can hire an opposition's champion you do it. In the end even if he was going to be serious about a women's division Medusa was not the person to build it around but I can see why he did it.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Medusa match. Was she not a good worker? Or just kind of meh in the heat department?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Vandar posted:

Remember when WCW hired a female wrestler named ASYA?

Because ASYA is bigger than CHYNA? Get it? Do you?!

:negative:

When I saw the name I groaned out loud because of course WCW would be that dumb and that snarky. IIRC she was a blip and disappeared shortly after her debut. I think Major Gunns lasted longer then ASYA did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

Half-remembering something dumb, being sure that it couldn't have lasted for more than a few weeks only to learn that it lasted a year and was even dumber than you remember. Now THAT is the WCW Experience.

The best WCW Experience!