Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Thea Vidale claimed in an interview that she was often sexually harassed while working in WWE (as Shelton Benjamin's mom). Did anything ever come of this, or was it ever clarified who this was?

Link: https://www.inquisitr.com/1571041/wwe-news-shelton-benjamins-mom-claims-she-was-sexually-harassed-while-working-in-wwe/

The article's page is ad-crammed and awful, so here are the important quotes:

quote:

I genuinely hated that place. While I was there I was sexually harassed everyday by a perverted middle aged man that didn’t understand what no meant.

It was disgusting, I’ll never forget the day he came into my changing area with his private parts hanging out of his pants. I made up my mind at that point I was done with that company.

It and many other articles online reference an interview with Neal Morgan, which is nowhere to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kennel posted:

What was Undertaker's first actually good singles match?

Good question. I liked his 96 Rumble match with Bret (pretty sure I’m in the minority there), and he had a good match with Diesel at WM12. After that, he started having good matches with Foley. I even remember liking his match with Bradshaw the night after WM12.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Max Coveri posted:

Angle at No Way Out '06

He had two great Hell in a Cell matches in 97 and 98.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Coaaab posted:

I'll give you 97 but 98 is the foley show all the way and what he's mostly doing is car crash bumps anyway

For the purposes of the question we’re answering, I’ll agree with you.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

davidbix posted:

It turned out that the interview was completely made up and someone (successfully) trying to prank newz sites by seeing if they wouldn't bother doing the most basic fact checking in aggregating the quotes.

Huh. Is there a source for this?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Earthquake was pretty strong and agile for his size

Talk about sad endings. Everything I read painted him as a super nice guy, and he corresponded often with the WrestleCrap site.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This is obviously a subjective one, but I just watched the 1996 Survivor Series and I've got to ask just how Sid got so over around that time. He's big and can do a few decent power moves, but otherwise I don't think he's very good at all, and as a character he's invariably a giant doofus, albeit one who seems to enjoy playing off the crowd. The show is in MSG and has a fairly "smart" crowd, so I was really surprised by how much over he was than defending champion Shawn (except amongst women). Had Shawn just completely bombed as champion?

It was an odd time in the (then) WWF. WCW was taking off, Hall and Nash were gone, and Shawn had to carry everything. One of the other major faces in the company, Ultimate Warrior, flaked out of an advertised 3-on-3 match with Shawn Michaels and Ahmed Johnson against Yokozuna, Owen, and Bulldog; his replacement was Sid. Cornette sold the return of Sid like a champ, and though Shawn ate the pin, Sid was booked to look like a monster while the only other monster in the company, Vader, ended up looking like a chump. By that point in the fall, Shawn's face character had been overexposed. The boyhood dream thing was a great storyline for the Rumble to WrestleMania, but after a few months, it hadn't really changed - he had some really good matches with Diesel, Mankind, and Vader, but he spent too much time in a feud with the Bulldog that didn't really help either guy, and he had some bad matches with Goldust. Plus, the occasional appearance of Bret weighing retirement suggested Shawn may not be the main guy after all. By Survivor Series, people were tired of a one-dimensional hero, and a smart crowd was happy to watch Sid destroy him. Shawn would have been much better off if he'd been beaten by Vader at SummerSlam, taken a month or so off to heal a worked injury (broken ribs from a Vader bomb?), and having Lothario get taken out as well; then he could come back as the man, instead of the underdog kid. For me, personally, I was in high school during this time, and I definitely started to lose interest after SummerSlam. It, to me, seemed like Shawn was the generic superhero who was always going to triumph, because there was no one who could really threaten his spot. I didn't start paying attention to WWF again until Bret came back, but I was the weirdo who cheered Bret regardless and hated Austin.

Remember that SS event was also when we got Rocky Maivia, who fell apart a few months later. I wonder if Bret kind of saw how faces like Shawn and Rocky were treated, and started tweaking his character to slowly turn heel to keep fresh.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Minidust posted:

While not quite as overt or drawn-out as a Roman or Cena, Shawn had a bit of a superman push going on throughout 1996. It was most evident in the commentary booth; Vince was absolutely relentless in putting Shawn over non-stop. I have to figure there was a lot of smark resentment at the time, and the negative reaction on that show was so strong that Vince did a weird promo on Raw the next night about how a lot of people don't like Shawn but he proved he was a man's man in handling the loss, or something to that effect.

You know, 1996 was the first full year of the monthly pay per view. Shawn's face character wasn't terrible, there just wasn't really any reason to worry for him, and he became stale. They 'forgot' about his concussion angle, and after going through Cornette's guys, he wasn't in any danger. A face couldn't be a simple Hogan-eque superman for years on end anymore without boring everyone.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Minidust posted:

haha

he would even occasionally do these weird striptease bits where he started pulling his pants down while dancing on the ring apron, all the while Vince would be getting uncomfortable on commentary and awkwardly bellowing "hohoho anything can happen in the WWF!!"

i grew up in a pretty PG household and this was my closest equivalent to "watchcing a movie with your parents and a sex scene comes on"

His original HBK gimmick, with Sherri (where she literally sang his song), was that he was a gigolo, right? That explains the little hat and heart-shaped glasses back then, but .... 5 years later?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

So I guess my question is - and this might be more suitable to a thread of its own - what are your favourite matches that don't seem to be talked about very much?

Well, there's a lot of wrestling that's happened in the last 15-30 years that we can all reference, so the criteria for what's talked about might be pretty broad.

I'll do a few:

Judgment Day 2005: John Cena (c) vs. JBL, I Quit Match

I was never really a fan of Cena, and I never liked any of Bradshaw's matches, aside from one or two. This, however, I enjoyed greatly. Cena beat Bradshaw the month before at the 'Hollywood' WrestleMania in a fairly standard match to become champion for the first time. It wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible - it just was. After that, JBL stole the belt back or something, I forget, but they ended up having an 'I Quit' match to settle the feud. Looking back, maybe they should've had this blowoff at WrestleMania instead, which would've been memorable. This was just a good, solid brawl, where blood (which I usually don't really care about) made sense. I still don't think it's necessary, but I can accept it here. JBL's whole schtick up to this point was running away or having tons of goons; after a long, bloody brawl, Cena gains the upper hand, so JBL thinks he gains the edge by saving himself to fight another day. Nope: Cena clobbers him after the bell anyway, having learned the hard way Bradshaw was a dirtbag.

1996 Royal Rumble

I've always loved the Rumble match. Until recently, it was always un-gently caress-uppable. But back in the old days, it was a ton of fun - you had a lot of intertwined storylines, and you got a chance to see lots of different people mix it up. '96 stands out to me, because a lot of lower-tier one-off characters got in there. Kama, the Supreme Fighting Machine, made the final four. Diesel! Hakushi! The Ringmaster! Mr. Bob Backlund! The Head Hunters! Dancing to make a difference Fatu! The main gist was that Shawn Michaels was fighting in the Rumble despite a serious concussion; the person who put him there (in addition to 9 Marines outside a bar), Owen Hart, would be there as well. Plus, hey, Vader was there, Yokozuna, and a garbage man, too! Anyway, the right guy won in the end, and did so by knocking out his best friend, which kicked off a storyline later that night.

Raw from MSG, Sept. 22, 1997: Cactus Jack vs. Triple H, Falls Count Anywhere

On paper, the setup to this match doesn't make a lot of sense. HHH is supposed to continue his feud with Dude Love, but instead, Dude and Mankind talk about the matchon the titantron, and introduce a replacement: Cactus Jack. Hunter loses his poo poo to the ref while Jack comes out with weapons. The match was the first time I really recall that level of chaos on live TV. It was an excellent reference point to the amazing match they'd have a few years later at the 2000 Royal Rumble. At the time, this was the perfect payback to Helmsley, and a wonderful homecoming for Foley.

King of the Ring 2001: Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon - Street Fight

The buildup to this match was kind of odd, if I remember right. Basically, Kurt Angle was competing in the King of the Ring while trying to settle a feud with Shane McMahon, who had announced WCW was coming soon. Shane, at this point, hadn't really wrestled before, if I recall correctly. So, he used the KotR tournament to his advantage: he tried to prolong Angle's tournament matches against Christian and Edge. His interference helped Edge win the crown, so, rightfully, Angle comes into their match pissed off. The Street Fight angle was presumably used to cover Shane's non-wrestling ability, but holy poo poo - I had no idea this match was going to be as bloody as it was. As a match, it's fairly basic: Angle destroys Shane, unless Shane is able to fool him or run away. Angle's exhaustion supports the psychology of the match, with him struggling to catch and KO Shane. He keeps having to push himself harder and farther - leading to throwing Shane through windows and doing a super Angle Slam. It's a tremendous spectacle that's a fun to watch, but a little worrisome considering how Angle dealt with injuries later.

SummerSlam Spectacular 1993: Money, Inc. vs. Steiner Brothers (c) - Cage Match

I remember watching this and being blown away by the drama here - just a great, solid tag team match in the classic WWF blue cage. The really amazing part was the finish, where DiBiase makes it to the floor, as does Rick - as it looks as if IRS will reach the floor before Scott, Rick simply gets underneath him, and holds him up on his shoulders. As IRS and DiBiase beat the poo poo out of him, Scott is able to reach the floor, and the Steiners win. Just awesome.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Senator Giroux posted:

I feel like this is the match that gave Shane his pass for a good long time to be in matches because the damage he takes is immense. It’s hella unsettling watching them try again and again to get him through those windows and I remember watching it live and even then feeling like I wanted them to just call it.

Yyyyyyeah. It's tough to watch. It's also worrisome considering this was during the time of unprotected chairshots and other stuff, and, I think, a few people went down with injuries at the same time (Austin and Benoit, I believe, and Hunter had just torn his quad a few weeks before), and Angle had a swollen face the next night on Raw. There's a spot where Angle lands on the concrete after a suplex in this match and you can see he's in a lot of pain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Good matches guys. :)

The worst part about the Shane-Angle match to me is the sound of Shane's head hitting the floor after failing to break through the set. Just a simple smack that makes me shiver.

I think Angle damaged his tailbone after the suplex on the ramp? Austin injured his wrist when the debuting Booker T slammed him through the Spanish announcers' table; he actually placed him on it nicely, but there was water on the table and he slipped off it. Thankfully neither injury was as serious as HHH's or Benoit's, and it did give us the highly entertaining segments where they were Vince's wacky goons, but man, just everything that could've gone wrong with the Invasion did go wrong.

The few bright spots from the InVasion seemed to fade fairly quickly, too.

- Sean O'Haire ended up being packaged into a devil's advocate character that went nowhere, and he disappeared before he died a few years later.
- Rob Van Dam got over big time, but needed a few more years before winning the title from Cena (he needed to job to Undertaker and feud with Goldust for some reason), and then blowing that with a drug arrest.
- Kidman looked good at first, but disappeared pretty quickly.
- Booker T looked like a chump pretty often for the next few years, aside from the 'BookDust' team. He ended up having a lot of success as King Booker, but I personally hated that storyline. He and Angle worked really well together, but then, Angle made everyone look like a champ.
- The InVasion pretty much put Angle in as a main eventer, I think. He looked like a million bucks against Booker, Austin, and others - and all while he was one of the few to consistently sell to the WCW/ECW guys.
- Lance Storm should've been booked better; WCW proved the serious heel thing would work. The Un-Americans thing was fine, but I have no idea how he arrived at having Austin snore during his matches, a dancing gimmick, then I think, another gimmick where he had a huge penis.

At least Storm and Awesome got to work together at a WWF PPV. :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

I'm thinking the WWE could hire Hogan, Austin and Rocky when they were young right now and manage to gently caress all three of them up.

They did gently caress each of them up, at first.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

:hmmyes: but I meant beyond repair

If it helps, Austin's ride on top was like... 5 years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

yeah, but i assume he would have had at least another year or two as a top draw if Owendriver '97 hadn't happened.

And if he didn’t spend over a year being suplexed (onto his neck) on a nightly basis by Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Are there any wrestlers who've made you wonder "How did this guy get on TV?"? Just people who, for one reason or another, had no understandable appeal, or may have just looked like they didn't belong.

For me, there are exactly two: Ron Garvin and Greg Valentine.

Valentine was, for one, just an odd looking guy. As far as I can tell, he was the Billy Gunn of his day - an above average worker with a blonde mullet who floated from gimmick to gimmick, landing in the occasional tag team, riding that one peak as long as he could. As best I can tell, his peak was being part of The Dream Team with Brutus Beefcake, who were tag team champions for a while. Once Beefcake moved on, he teamed up with Dino Bravo as The NEW Dream Team. Then he was just Greg "The Hammer", and did ... things? Then he was in a tag team with Honky Tonk Man called Rhythm and Blues, and he dyed his hair black. Then he just kind of petered out before going to WCW. For me, I'll always remember a friend of mine who had a story about him:

quote:

We saw Greg "The Hammer" Valentine at McDonald's once. He was in line to get breakfast at the next line over. My brother yelled, "Hey! That's Greg "The Hammer" Valentine!". Greg responded by putting on his sunglasses.

"Rugged" Ron Garvin was a short guy with a blond flat top (and shaved sideburns?), and I knew him best as a guy who yelled a lot and had one move: The Garvin Stomp. The idea was to stomp each extremity, which, even in pro wrestling, seemed dumb. Why not just kick someone in the head? In a company full of colorful characters, Garvin was the most generic person they had. I'm pretty sure one of the Nintendo games had a generic "You, the player!" character, and I just assumed it was Garvin, but they didn't want to pay him. Randy Orton, for some reason, borrowed the Stomp a few years into his career, which I couldn't believe. Of all the moves to lift, you picked the Garvin Stomp? Anyway, I was never quite sure who exactly let Garvin on TV.

So, naturally, these two feuded.

Red fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 11, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, Valentine is an example of a guy who apparently had much more personality in the territories. He had a gimmick built around being a sadistic shooter heel that played off of Wahoo McDaniel getting injured in a match with him. This was when the figure four leglock was considered an exotic dangerous move and not a visual reference to old school rasslin.

Oh, sure, but I never saw his non-WWF stuff - just his odd WWF run. I realize that creates a more narrow view, which isn't really fair - but my impression of him has always been 'goofy looking guy who just hangs around and will be your tag team friend'.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In PPVs, only to HHH, Mankind, and The Rock. That's more than I expected but the people he lost to don't surprise me at all. I'd be even more surprised if he lost clean on a Raw or Smackdown. Thanks for doing the dirty work!

I completely blanked on what the Mankind loss was, and had to look it up - it's the Triple Threat, along with Helmsley, where Jesse Ventura refereed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of low-to-midcarders from that era had meant something to a territorial promotion that just didn't translate to the big leagues.Keeping your regional audience was importance enough that, for example, Ricky Steamboat kept his name, but if you didn't have a larger-than-life look or persona then it didn't really get the national TV audience behind you.

My understanding has always been that Vince bought up stars to weaken territories so they couldn't compete with him, regardless of whether they'd make him any money.

Red fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 12, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What're your favorite Dusty Finishes?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I mean they're all terrible on principle, but Jericho beating Triple H for the title was great until they walked it back

I agree, but there has to be at least a few that are great.

I think the finish to the Bret/Shawn Iron Man Match would've been tremendous had they been able to follow up on it properly instead of having Bret sit out for over 7 months (and not face Shawn again for a year after that).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kennel posted:

Bionic Elbow :v:

Don't make me get a mod!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'm not following wrestling SA as often as I once did, so I don't know the current opinion of Scott Keith (though I could guess).

He responded to a question about the usefulness of a face manager with:

quote:

Babyface managers are a weird deal because they're really not needed. Maybe Captain Lou after he turned babyface, but he was only around for a year under that guise and then retired anyway. I'm hard-pressed to think of any successful babyface managers (aside from someone like Elizabeth, who was more of a valet anyway), especially ones who managed multiple people.

I - don't agree at all. Face managers aren't the norm, but they're super useful for certain gimmicks, to be a mouthpiece, or to generate sympathy heat. And a valet is really no different from a manager, so I don't know what he's talking about there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of, has there ever been a face manager with a heel wrestler, or vice versa? Not like, someone turns after the match, but they go into it like that.

Didn't Shawn have to valet for JBL for a while?

Ditto Chavo for Uncle Eddie in WCW.

I guess it depends how strictly you want to define things. Macho Man was super heely sometimes, but Elizabeth was always a sympathetic face.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Scott Keith is very stupid

I hadn't read his page in a while, and forgot how unfunny/casually racist he is. I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know if it's true at all, because I don't know where the difference really lies, but just from context clues I always assumed a valet was a manager who didn't do any/much talking or get involved often (ala Elizabeth) while a manager did all of those things and more.

Well, not to nitpick, but wasn't there like a whole angle out of Macho Man saying he picked Elizabeth to be his manager out of a slew of people fawning over him because yadda yadda?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

rujasu posted:

Did Jimmy Hart add anything to anyone's act as a manager? Even though he was the "Mouth of the South" I was never impressed with his mic work, but I guess his peak was in the 80's, and I wasn't around for that. Was he really good back in the day and just didn't have anything to offer (other than music) once the Attitude Era rolled around?

I never really thought about it, but he did seem to manage guys who didn't really need a mouthpiece (Honky, Dibiase/IRS, Harts, Mountie, Earthquake). He was super effective in being a heat magnet/distraction for 'Quake/Nasties/Mountie, but guys like Honky Tonk Man drew enough heat on their own; I think Jimmy Hart just helped out their gimmicks - which is just fine.

That said, he managed Dino Bravo, and nobody ever gave a poo poo about him.

Once he turned face over the Beefcake/Money Inc. thing, he didn't really seem to serve a purpose other than just support the storyline, but that's okay, too. He's a Hogan friend, which basically guaranteed you a job between like 1983 and 2002.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Dino was a huge star in Montreal,

You’re correct, I just meant when he was with Jimmy Hart in WWF. He wasn’t much better off with Frenchy Martin, either.

I always thought his team-up with Earthquake should be called The Hulkbusters.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

britishbornandbread posted:

So he was injured when they brought him back in? Was he supposed to work a programme with Luger?

To pile on, he had a policy on his back with Lloyd's of London (as did a few other guys), and collected from, I think, mid-'93 to probably mid- to late-'96. I don't think there was anything shady about it, but he had incentive not to work hurt, unlike a lot of other guys.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It is definitely shady, but who cares it's an insurance company.

Oh, I thought Hennig was legit hurt the whole time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

I'd be more upset about it if I felt like anybody in the mid-late 2000's was really worth pushing. Watching him beat up everybody while never changing or becoming interesting was annoying but it wasn't until Punk's run got completely overshadowed by him that I cared about who was getting done dirty by SuperCena.

What if he’d put Barrett over at SummerSlam?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is Kurt Angle's best match, in your opinions?

He has tons - it's hard to pick one. His series with Edge was really good (though he lost his hair, he wore a hairpiece in a collegiate head protector). He also had really good matches with Rey Mysterio, though I never understood the way it was booked. Everything against Benoit is gold, as is the triple threat with Jericho and Benoit. His stuff with Brock was excellent as well, and I liked the turn it took, with an Angle/Brock mutual appreciation thing. I didn't see much of his TNA stuff, but everything with Samoa Joe is amazing, especially his first match. I'm pretty sure he gave Kane his best match, too - November 1, 2001, on YouTube for free.

Here are some of my favorites:

WrestleMania XX, vs. Eddie Guerrero

Great match with an amazing Eddie-style finish, where he unties his boot. When Angle goes for the Ankle Lock, he pulls off Eddie's boot, and Eddie surprises him with a small package to win.

Raw/SmackDown! series of matches with Booker T for WCW title, summer 2001

Pretty much everything about the InVasion was a failure, except for Rob Van Dam, and the rise of Angle. The WCW/ECW guys were treated as lower-tier for most of the time, but Angle did his best to sell for the guys, and make them look good. Booker and Angle had really good chemistry, and had great free TV matches - the feud didn't do much outside of set up Booker for a SummerSlam match with The Rock, but all the matches were solid.

WrestleMania XXI, vs. Shawn Michaels (win)

Amazing match full of near-falls where Shawn spends the latter half of the match clinging to life, and Angle throws everything at him to just end it. The drama was the chance that Shawn could pull it out at any time, and nearly did with a Superkick out of nowhere.

King of the Ring 2001, vs. Shane McMahon in a Street Fight

I covered this earlier in the thread, but it's just a glorious trainwreck that, thankfully, both survived with careers intact.

SummerSlam 2001, vs. Steve Austin

These two had a super series of matches to follow some really silly but great promos - you remember, where Austin sang with a guitar and cowboy hat, and Kurt had a monkey cowboy hat and ukulele. Out of their series, this was the most brutal, and while some hate the finish, I liked the idea of Austin having a safety net built in, because he was afraid of Angle.

SmackDown! Royal Rumble, January 29, 2004

Since the real Rumble winner, Chris Benoit, targeted the Raw champion, SD! needed to have a challenger, so they held another half-Rumble on TV. Angle is first in, and lasts until the end, eliminated by Eddie (him again!). Angle carries the whole thing, with a great finish. (Edit2: Just to be clear, Eddie ended up facing Brock at No Way Out, and then faced Angle at WMXX to circle back to this issue.)

Edit: gently caress it, I'm picking the Booker series as my favorite, because Angle wasn't forced to treat him well when nobody else was, and he was a professional. Compared to Booker jobbing in a grocery store to Austin, and the disaster feud with Triple H, Angle comes off looking like a really good person.

Red fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 17, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'm slowly making my way through the Dark Side of the Ring series, and my initial thoughts are:

- Each episode really paints the subject as being the top star of their era, which, I get, but everybody can't be Babe Ruth.
- How are they getting away with showing WWE footage?
- I love that they went to the effort to find actors with similar builds to play the shape of the wrestler(s) being discussed.
- This show definitely glosses over and/or simplifies a lot of things, but considering the runtime, this is acceptable, I suppose.
- I didn't think there was anything more to discuss about Montreal, but Cornette and Russo proved me wrong. I'm certainly siding with Cornette there, though I'm sure if you asked McMahon, the idea was all his, and no one else's. Still, I don't think you can do this thing justice without having Shawn, Vince, and some of the other players (Taker, Brisco, Sarge, Hunter, etc.) involved.
- Is there a subforum/thread to discuss the show? I didn't see one.
- Bart Gunn made out relatively well, all things considered; good health, seems like a regular guy, has a 9 to 5 job, and doesn't seem bitter or angry.
- The Benoit thing in general was unpleasant to watch, and reminded me why I have not watched anything with Benoit since he died, nor will I ever.

Now, all that said, at the end of the Benoit episode (p2), Jericho said the incident almost destroyed the industry. I don't agree with that at all, but it certainly changed a lot. How would people respond to that statement by Jericho?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Thank you!

davidbix posted:

Documentaries fall under fair use for short clips the same way news programming does. It's just that nobody ever really bothered with it on WWE-owned stuff until DDP's Jake documentary.

Ah, fascinating!

FunMerrania posted:

It turned everyone I knew who liked wrestling off of it, myself included.
Would be interesting to see how it affected the ratings.

Interesting! As far as I recall, they really only had the one empty Raw, and then it was back to business, right?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: The scary thing about what Court said it it sounds like they wanted to bring in even more McMahons besides Rod.

Use all the McMahons to fill the empty arenas.

I just died imagining Vince's "One, two HE GOT HIM no he didn't" in various pitches and tones.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I thought Vince didn't like his brother? Like, there are stories that he's in the Macho Man category of "Don't talk about that man to me." right?

I actually watched Raw is Benoit a while ago. It's immediately so bizarre, because until then you had the Eddie tribute show and the Owen tribute show; both of those were teary affairs with tons of wrestlers and fans sharing the horrible grief together, with ten-bell salutes and the like. The Benoit show is in an empty arena, I guess because there was an active investigation going on. Vince breaks character and then they play the Finger Eleven "One Thing" tribute package, which immediately tainted that song for whenever it gets played in other situations. Then the three commentary teams take turns introducing classic match highlights (including an NJPW match with Liger from the mid '90s with Michael Cole and Tazz commentary dubbed in) and wrestlers giving their thoughts backstage. Nobody is crying, they're all speaking very slowly and with decidedly confused or concerned looks on their faces. It's awful, but I ended up not being able to look away because it's all just such a strange spectacle.

At least the song isn't retired:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/asides-with-jon-chattman-_13_b_1418159

quote:

In the case of Canadian rockers Our Lady Peace, they’ve chosen to take one of their popular songs off any set list for an entirely different reason. In a nutshell, the track comes with way too much baggage.

“Whatever” was the entrance song for fellow Canadian star and former WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) superstar Chris Benoit, whose wrestling career and life ended in a murder-suicide in 2007. In an interview just prior to their show at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City on April 5, the band’s frontman Raine Maida and guitarist Steve Mazur discussed how they’ve had to retire the song altogether because of the incomprehensible tragedy that took place (Benoit allegedly killed his wife and young son before taking his own life). It’s such a shame, because the song is so drat kick rear end but “whatever.”

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Yes, he was a bully, but since he died, we're not allowed to mention the fact he was just as terrible as the other Harts.

Most of what I've read are:

- Phone pranks
- Bribing hotel staff to poo poo up someone's toilet before they check in
- Fooling Ahmed Johnson into thinking he'd be on David Letterman, so he bought a super expensive suit
- Rubbing tuna fish on his hands before a match where he had Bret in a camel clutch
- Stealing Gangrel's watch from his bag, and putting it back a few months later when they returned to the same arena
- Rubbing donut powder under his nose to cheer up Jim Ross (after he had to deal with a worker's failed drug test)
- Goofing around in house show matches
- Using a spray bottle to make Jim Cornette look like he pissed himself
- Having pigs used in a Hogpen match delivered to Vince's office
- Having cops (who he was friends with) pretend to arrest Lex Luger

The exception is putting a ton of hot sauce in Harley Race's chili, and everybody got sick, so Harley tased him the next time he saw him. And that always sounded fake.

For the most part, it sounds fairly harmless, especially if you consider the locker room feels like guys need to be hazed or hassled, getting Owen instead of JBL sounds like a fair trade.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Von Linus posted:

- Stealing Gangrel's watch from his bag, and putting it back a few months later when they returned to the same arena

I can see this being absolutely annoying as gently caress but on the other hand , putting it back in the same arena is really funny as a concept.

That, and there are two parts to this:

1. Owen helped Gangrel look for his watch, which should have been a clue
2. Once Gangrel saw the watch, he had to know

There's at least one clip out there of Bob Holly catching Owen, and an article with Jim Cornette saying no one believed Owen or Bulldog half the time, so I feel like it's on you if all of a sudden Owen Hart is super concerned about a thing you just lost.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

This makes up for everything else

The few stories I've seen where Vince was involved or present suggest he loved this stuff.

Knowing what a terrible person Lex was, this story was pretty great:

quote:

The greatest prank of all saw Lex Luger (again) fall victim to the cruel but hilarious team of Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith.

This time, the mischievous pair had become friends with two undercover police officers. After convincing Lex that the car flashing its lights behind them was Shawn Michaels playing a joke, the American hero sped into the night trying to escape the vehicle. Only when they put their siren on did he finally stop. The cops were furious, giving him a stern telling off and taking his details before walking away. Davey Boy Smith waited until their backs were turned before shouting "Blow it out your rear end!" at them. The police spun around, furious, and proceeded to ask who had been so stupid as to insult them.

"It was Lex!" said Owen, watching with glee as the big, blond wrestler was cuffed and bundled into the back of the police vehicle. Lex even stopped Davey trying to intervene on his behalf, believing he was doing him a favour! The best part? Vince McMahon saw it all go down from the safety of his limo and found the entire thing hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sandman McMahon posted:

If a random guy on the roster, and only that guy, tell you you’re going to be on Letterman and your immediate reaction is to spend thousands on a suit and not... you know talk to the company first, well you’re dumb and that’s funny.

Here's the story from the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0O6lZrRWs

Also - huh, it was supposed to be Leno, not Letterman.

Edit: I like that Ahmed shares Bret let him know Owen pranked people he likes. :)

https://youtu.be/VyyAirdLP_k?t=805: Here's one with Mark Henry, and they pranked his mom. Finding out Owen constantly fooled his dad sounds amazing.

Red fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 22, 2020