Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hot Topic has a special on blue steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

N. Senada posted:

If you know a better place to pick up scene girls, I’d like to hear it OP

please tell me a better place

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You guys, I just figured something out. It's called "Hot Topic" because their merchandize is based around what is currently popular. You see, the word "hot" can also refer to something that lots of people are talking about. So the topics in the store are "hot" in that context. It doesn't actually have anything to do with the temperature of the store as previously believed (which is usually tepid at best).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's actually a misspelling of Hot Tapioca

That would explain why the Dragon Ball Z messenger bags come filled with pudding.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Pretty much the only malls that don't have a Hot Topic are the super high end ones or the ones destined to be on an episode of Abandoned (or turned into a parking lot)

Hot Topic is the new anchor store.

DiggityDoink posted:

i feel bad for anyone who has to buy sextoys from spencers.

Imagine being a person who gets a butt plug from the mall.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

When I was in high school I use to go to Hot Topic for Beatles t-shirts. Which I know is extremely dorky, but then this sad post is here:

Obsidianheart posted:

When I was in college I was a turbo-goth and had a turbo-goth girlfriend, and one day she calls me up and tells me that the mall we always bang in has some goth store called 'Hot Topic' and it just makes her so loving mad because she's been importing poo poo from London, and shopping at the super-expensive specialty shop downtown, and making her own clothes for years and now anyone can just loving walk in there and buy the cool stuff right off the rack!? Like she was mad not that her counterculture was being made widely available in a chain setting.
We broke up eventually, and a few years later I found myself living in a different city in a different state, needing a black longcoat for a party, but not actually having owned one for about 5 years. I was working overnights, and online stores weren't really very good yet, so it was kind of a pain in the rear end to drag myself out of bed a few hours early and drive down to the mall. Checked couple of other stores first, and then made way into Hot Topic for the first time. Found a girls' coat that fit me, bought a belt and a couple of wristbands, and chuckled at the thought that as far as my ex was concerned, this was perpetuating the dilution of an already fading party scene.
Eventually, I broke the belt in a knife-play accident, I lost one of the wristbands, and I got too fat for the coat, and threw it out like the trash it really was.

There's a dying mall a block away from my apartment, and I go to a Gamestop in there when I really need a charger or case or something and don't want to wait a couple of days for it. They have a Hot Topic in there, but I've never set foot inside, since I dress pretty normal now.

There's a certain melacholy to this which I guess is fitting considering it's all about a gothic past.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 9, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Also if you needed a cheap trenchcoat just go to a thrift store and buy that poo poo for like ten bucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, I have to remember to add up your bonus points?

No one going for double bonus points? Let's see some pictures of atrocious Hot Topic stuff, dang it.

I already did that and no one cared.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

I was more thinking things that you personally own. So we can own you. Personally.

I'm currently wearing everything in this picture.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

2001 me says "text me"

a/s/l?

Meet me at the mall.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

There are eighteen year old kids walking around with Jack Skellington hoodies. That movie came out in 1993. That would be like me walking around with Logan's Run merch in 2003.

I bought an Easy Rider t-shirt at Hot Topic when I was in high school back in 2002ish.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

underthecube posted:

that sounded ironic so i want to just make sure you all understand that i am 1000% sincere when i say nightmare before christmas rules and deserves its place as THE halloween movie

What about Halloween?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

But what's its competition? The Halloween Tree?

There is literally a movie called Halloween.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ANUSTART posted:

i wish i had a goth phase but now im old

There aren't goth kids anymore. All the goths are thirty and up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Obsidianheart posted:

Most are 40-ish.

Kids tend to rebel against their parents, and children of still-goth parents typically fall in to two categories: 'Can't be bothered to wear clothes that aren't sweats/pajamas', or 'Day-glo nightmare from beyond the Neon Dimension'.

Oh I know. That's why I said "and up" but the "younger" goths I see are in their early 30s. Maybe it's because I graduted high school during the Bush era, but I just don't see goth kids anymore.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stolen valor.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This video (as are all his videos) is him dunking on chuds. He's also a goon. It's good, watch it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I don't give a gently caress about virtue signaling. I see it as a sign of grassroots sympathy from people who aren't necessarily a minority. I give a gently caress about people who insinuate themselves into causes while being insanely problematic. Going to a meetup and meeting a supposed "ally" saying grody poo poo about trans people is something I've experienced before. Some people are just there to support only the extent of their limited mindset and have no desire to listen to anyone outside of it. I'm not talking about virtue signallers. I'm talking about "male feminists" who end up being abusers, milky pale TERFs who show up at pride parades while disregarding trans and nonbinary people or outright being hostile, I'm talking about all the milquetoast people who still discriminate acting as if they don't among people who suffer daily from discrimination.

I've always felt like cishets calling themselves allies is just performative bullshit people use to pat themselves on the back. Any real ally I know doesn't call themselves that because it just sounds like asking for recognition of the fact that you're a normal loving person who isn't a hateful douchebag. And the people saying "We're allies." frequently want to make queer spaces/events about them. The only real allies are the people who will stand behind you when you need it but otherwise not speak over the LGBTQ people in the room and otherwise only offer input when it's asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

opie posted:

I got a Germs T-shirt at a hot topic in the 90s. My pet rat got loose and chewed it up.

I know this doesn't count as a haiku, but it sounds like one.