Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

HOW DID YOU DO THIS

did you cut the the skill list down from 107 to like 20 or what

Ahahahahahahaha!...Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Everyone posted:

Just looking at the math from the table, if you fast one day and then feed on an animal the next day, that's still a net gain of +1 Humanity. A lot of it depends on how badly "not feeding" fucks with your character otherwise. That +2 Humanity will be pretty small ball if your vampire or whatever blows a hunger/frenzy check and eats a kindergarten class.

Meanwhile, if you stop, say a mugger/rapist without killing him, that's +15 Humanity right there (+3 stopping a threat to human community, +12 not killing even though justified). It seems like a system that rewards player creativity and initiative.

The Humanity system actually works very well in practice. My players spent a lot of time considering whether they should just off an idiot or not.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Promethean Animates, like Frankenstein's creation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mellonbread posted:

Kudos to the authors for making a pretty tightly focused game about the nightlife in a single city, with factions and locations and other playable elements presented in reasonable detail.

I'd love to hear about how the game actually plays, I know some people upthread mentioned running campaigns that lasted years.

I haven't run it in over twenty-five years, but I was the person upthread and ran a five-year-long campaign involving the PCs who were bounty hunters for the Commune taking down Kin that really did not want to play nice with humanity. The game systems ran well enough for a late-80s ruleset, and the world setting was rich enough to be able to expand on it.

I thought (and I assume the eight players thought) that the game was cool and I still do. I have never liked WoD (probably because I'm an old punk not a newish goth) but Nightlife had something I really enjoyed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

For information on magic spells, see the Magic supplement, coming soon from Stellar Games!

e;FB

To be more detailed, magic in Nightlife is loving badass and will wreck poo poo. Short-form is that Sorcerers are humans that have become Kin because of the magic they can control. Witches are still human but have to band together in covens/cliques/groups to draw power from the world in order to cast rituals.

The Magic supplement is so very 80s too, but definitely worth using.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm working off the 3rd edition. It was the next to last book they ever released, and contains references to several supplements.

If all of that was in the 1st edition, that would make Stellar Games the extremely rare indie company that teased multiple supplements in the corebook and actually published all of them.

Also, my PDF of the Magic supplement confirms what I half-remembered: Stellar was ahead of the curve on selling PDFs of their games, but they did it through Tri Tac Games' online store, for some reason.

In 1e, they teased Magic! and In a Musical Vein and did publish both of them. Kinrise and America After Dark weren't teased.

EDIT: Concerning Tri-Tac, that was because Rich Tucholka had published Stalking the Night Fantastic aka Bureau 13, which was the first Urban Fantasy RPG back in the early 80s and a lot of the early game devs worked together. He was also one of the first publishers to actually get the concept of digital publishing (contrast that with another Detroit guy, Siembada). I really should write about the early gaming dev scene in the 80s and the people involved.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 18, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I ran a weekly campaign of it that lasted for five years. Yes, the ruleset is janky, but in 1989-1990 there were very few rulesets you wouldn't call janky by today's standards, and compared to things like Bureau 13 it was clean and efficient.

I still think the setting is great and fits into the late-80s early-90s cultural tone perfectly. You can just imagine heavy key-tar riffs playing in the background, with Kin having blown-out hair and wearing pastels and no socks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

So are the wormholes literally just a subterranean ecosystem or are they meant to be like, an alternate dimension of sorts once you go deep enough?

When I ran it, I said they started out as an ecosystem that started blurring lines into other dimensions.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I love that cat.

The cat's name is Pawtucket.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Fiegal also wrote 'Hellas' for Khepera Press (Atlantis the Second Age company) which is actually an interesting multi-generational PCs based game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

SLA has to be Scotland's finest contribution to the RPG hobby.
If not, certainly the most Scottish.

Ooo...What about Tales of Gargentihr?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't think I actually know about that one.

I'll try to get an :effort: post together

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tulul posted:

Privateers and Gentlemen: WASPs at Sea

Privateers and Gentlemen is a historical RPG published in 1983; it takes place in the late Age of Sail - the latter half of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th. Players take the role of naval officers (usually junior), serving in either the venerable British Royal Navy, the scrappy new American Navy, or having struck out on their own as privateers. P&G is a companion to Heart of Oak, a wargaming set of rules for ship combat. The book of the rules covering the RPG side is technically titled Promotions and Prizes, but I'm going to keep calling the whole shebang Privateers and Gentlemen to keep things simple.

Hey, a Fantasy Games Unlimited joint! Back in the late-70s-early 80s when FGU was a thing, they had a rep for three factors guaranteed to be in any of their games:
1) Cool rear end settings
2) Extremely detailed and ridiculously complex rule sets
3) Insane amounts of typographical errors.

They published some amazing games like Villains and Vigilantes the first real superhero game (sorry, Superhero:2044 was not really a game), Aftermath (stupidly complex post-holocaust), Bushido (chambara Japan action), Daredevils (1930s pulp fiction), Flashing Blades (all musketeers, all the time), Psi-World (mutants in hiding in a fascist alternate North America), Year of the Phoenix (a game designed around a metaplot twist), Space Opera (This ruleset could handle pretty any kind of space fantasy you could name and is one of the worst proofread things I have ever seen), Other Suns (furries in space), and others.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

Don't forget Chivalry & Sorcery (SCA nerds rewrite D&D) and Bunnies & Burroughs (Watership Down with the serial numbers filed off), both of which are important early RPGs.

Other games included Gangster! (roaring 20s gangsters), Wild West (westerns), Freedom Fighters (Red Dawn with the numbers filed off), Land of the Rising Sun (C&S goes to Japan, the rare early RPG written by a woman [Lee Gold]), Merc (modern brushfire wars, including a terrible Rhodesia supplement), and still more.

Note that all of these games had their own idiosyncratic, individual, mutually-incompatible core systems.

I also left out War of the Sky Cities, the first Flash Gordon RPG, Skull and Crossbones, Down Styphon (a Lord Kelvin of Otherwhen RPG), Archworld, Bireme, Lands of Adventure...it just keeps going, and I have most of them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Libertad! posted:

Someone needs to do an F&F of this if it doesn't have one already.

I actually have a copy of the main rules and the Rhodesia Supplement. The rules system isn't any better or worse than any other early 80s RPG, but gently caress the politics.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

By popular demand posted:

Let the spirit of Dr. Liston be with me.
He sliced into the patient with such enthusiasm that he swinged and injured a spectator and another spectator collapsed of shock. All 3 died later.

"Time me gentlemen!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

I think I'll name my wizard... Colin.

But, it occurs to me, I forget if it's come up before. Does this mean that if, say, Wizzardo the Sorcerer needs to do a big save-the-day spell, one of the other party members can let him Drain them for the requisite SP to cast the big spell? Because that at least feels like it opens up some cool scene potential.

Yes. You absolutely can do that and it was done in the campaign I ran.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Kin Draining other Kin brings the Drug Effects Table into play, which is super nasty. Nancy Sez Say No To Drugs!

Did you do anything to get around it, Humbug, or just ignore it? (Even unmodified, I can see risking it if the wizard really needs some SP to cast that big spell.)

Ignored it, because the downsides to the Kin getting drained are bad enough.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
There was an errata for Magic! that stated that the -50% against Kin did apply, so we did use that rule.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

poo poo, that changes everything. If your chance to resist a save-or-die jumps from 22% to 72%, if anything a lot of spells are underpowered. I'd rather see a lot more "Save for half-damage" so the Sorcerer isn't flinging spells until one hits and drops the enemy.

What it did was make the sorcerer in the party a lot more careful in spell use against Kin. Human antagonists were still screwed though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Covermeinsunshine posted:

They could have go for "Humanity needs to embrace the eldrith to become on par with other races, but it will likely lose itself in the process". I mean, I can play tentacled transhuman punching space fungus. What I can't enjoy when someone tells me to participate in rape-on-rails adventure and read bad metaplot.

Eldritch Skies does that really well...and there is no rape in rules.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

I did a F&F of Eldritch Skies back in the day, but I never finished it. I didn't get much feedback on it, I think because it had very little art to draw the eye and was sandwiched between much more exciting F&Fs going on at the time. They've since revised the game, so I'd like to go back and finish it some time.

The basic premise of the thing is that humans discovered the truth about Ancient Aliens in the early 20th century, by the 80s it was common knowledge, and by 2000 we have Lunar/Martian colonies and interstellar exploration. So it's more about Earth governments loving around and finding out than some gigantic war against the mythos.

It uses Unisystem, which is not the best system ever but IME basically functional, and you can bolt on whatever you want from the many, many Unisystem games and sourcebooks to establish the tone and the level of crunch you want.

Among other things, it has rules for part-ghoul and part-Deep One PCs. (Fully transformed Deep Ones and ghouls are considered too alien in what is still a cosmic horror game.)

I remember back in the day, someone on the Cthulhutech forums did some yeoman's work trying to rationalize the Human/Mi-Go war. Their take was that the Mi-Go want to conquer Earth, which they can't do with orbital bombing because that will just wake up the Old Ones.

Their vision of the Mi-Go was as a partly hive-mind species that engineered themselves to be this way in order to survive. They "have become as the Great Old Ones, free and wild and beyond good and evil." It's a portent of what humanity might have to choose over extinction.

Anyway, I'm fine with the Mi-Go being hostile to humanity for no reason. They're Belgium and we're the Kongo.

I backed the original Eldritch Skies Kickstarter and the first version used the Cinematic variant of Unisystem (the same version that the Buffy:the Vampire Slayer RPG used). This is a very fast and easy game system and really isn't that much of a pain. The latest edition of Eldritch Skies is using Savage Worlds.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Nightlife has so much good stuff in it. If it had had better production values instead of looking like it was printed at a copy shop with art made by a high school metal band member, and a slightly more 'effective' ruleset, it probably would have stomped Vampire. White Wolf understood style over substance so much better though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
In all seriousness, "Do not hurt fun of yourself or others nearby in favor of illusions of fragile game balance or adherence to this stupid pile of letters." is probably the greatest piece of gaming advice ever.

FATAL & Friends 2022: punch lasers for great justice

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 19, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

No, the thread title must obviously be Rule Table Like Amberline Emperor.

:hmmyes:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
My white whale of a game system that I've been trying to find is something called Emersonian D&D. It was created at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in either 1977 or 1978. It has math like Authentic Thaumaturgy.

If anybody out there has a copy please let me know.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Awaiting the moment when the person who wrote Spellpunk Cyberfight either
a) turns out to be a goon
b) turns out to be PurpleXVI
or
c) turns up to say “ha ha, see, indie players will cheer the 5e mechanics if they’re expressed oddly enough!”

I like the 5e mechanics :shrug: Not as much as 4e's, of course, but they're fine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I don't mind 5e. I look forward to running this game that uses 5e for people that like 5e. Why do they like 5e? I don't know, I've tried to get them to play things like Blades or any FATE based system but they don't seem to want to engage and contribute to the narrative and prefer having a dedicated GM and clearly delineated rules. I've been gaming with some of these people for over forty years.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

I love the art in Unbound and I have a poster of the Iconic Brawler Role on my living room wall.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hey, I bought SPCF because of Purple's review, and as one of the goons that actually (mostly) likes 5e, I have no problem with it. Glad to see you here, and I would love to know how this insanity got started?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

lexadant posted:

Afore the creation of the book, only in times of great exhaustion or other mental fatigure (or just bad day). All of us are pretty good at speaking SPCF though and sometimes things just come out like that in the day to day now, even by not purpose. As for the translation type -- it was translated only by the biopsychic abilities of the transcribers, not by any mechanical means, for maximal vibe matching to the goal vibes. SPCF is purely about vibes and the language used is as close to transcribing said vibes as possible.

good! Whimsy is the idea.

It started because someone was like "Let's play Star Wars" so we played Star Wars but no one watched it or actually read the rulebook so we made SPCF. It was spawned because we had to make hacking rules and they were made very late at night and entirely unreadable from delirium and thus spawned the general aesthetic of the game.

I am totally looking forward to running it with my 5e group.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Loxbourne posted:

The original pre-clix version of Crimson Skies did something similar for their damage system. It was rather like a proto-Warmachine in that it had a damage grid and different weapons filled in different patterns on the grid.

Seconding the idea of a calligraphy wizard, it could be beautiful if you could work out a way to do it.

That template damage system was first used by FASA with Renegade Legion's Centurion (badass grav tanks) and Interceptor (badass space fighters) games. It has issues with armor being just too drat good sometimes, but it is a neat system.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

By popular demand posted:

I personally only read this thread for the hardcore pornography.
:colbert:

:same:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Champions is an very good superhero wargame. You can do decent role-playing campaigns with it, but that is not its strength.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Libertad! posted:

As someone who hasn't played Champions, what do you mean by this?

It's a build point system where everything about your character has to be accounted for. Even GURPS and Rolemaster had some wiggle room. What it does do, is let you build pretty much any superpower you can imagine and by looking at the Active Points and Real Points spent, let's you build some very balanced combats.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hel posted:

Avatar combat should obviously be Dread derived, each successful pull gives you a boomerang stunt and tipping the tower means the boomerang doesn't come back until the next scene.

Dread is a terrible game if you have palsy/tremors.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Humbug Schoolbus is a better person to ask than me, but I'll say this for Nightlife:

1. You have a lot of freedom to do stuff that isn't attacking, but there aren't a lot of different combat maneuvers to keep track of. Between your martial arts skills, Edges, and weapons you might have a handful of different attack options. There isn't a big table of situational bonuses and penalties, either. I wouldn't expect a great deal of analysis paralysis.

2. Your Combat Skill is also your initiative, so that's a die roll saved. Damage is a set value, another roll saved. The defender only rolls if they declared Evasive Action. Assuming everyone's trying to kill someone, a combat round is a die roll for every character involved.

3. Starting PCs should reliably be able to take out a mook in one (gun) or two (baseball bat) hits. The easiest way to drag out combat is if everyone takes cover, since that's a straight penalty to the attack roll.

What Jack said, when you get in the rhythm the system plays very fast.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

Are any horrors ever statted up in any SR edition or are they just "eat 1d6 runners per round, you lose" if one should happen to pop up?

Mind, how can a horror support a corporation? Are the horrors actually rich? Do they have political influence? Or is it a "kill political opponents, offer tech support when a blood ritual won't work"-sort of support?

None were started up in Shadowrun, but they were in Earthdawn. It's broadly assumed that Aztechnology is covertly run by a Horror though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fivemarks posted:

Imagine if Shadowrun was the kind of setting were writers were like "You see how poo poo things are? You can CHANGE IT. You see those dragons making things worse? You can slay them" instead of it being some of the worst of the 90's metaplot driven "no players can't do anything ever" RPGs. Like Forgotten Realms and Elminster, except Shadowrun is worse about it than Greenwood's Magical Realm.

Actually...the Dragons are actually trying to crank tech up to a level where it can fight back against the Horrors' magic. That's why Lofwyr is always pumping so much into Saeder-Krupp's research arm and why half of Dunkelzahn's bequests were made the way they were. They tried fighting the Horrors' with magic alone and almost got annihilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Dunk's Will is a whole book full of plot ideas that individual GMs could use in their games. I think that the greater dragons in SR are far more interesting than dragons that show up in most settings because they have skin in the game and are shown to be as petty, biased, moody, and opinionated as any other sentient.