Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

The Chinese mind has a genetic predisposition to prefer emperors. If you disagree, you don't understand Confucianism. Now, regarding the Russian mind...
I could kinda see a purely ceremonial tsar if the revolution went very differently. Supposing he just folded to all of their demands immediately and played to the good tsar myths in publicity stunts. But that would require a level of consideration that I doubt the authors are willing to put in. I mean they put a member of the Qing Dynasty in charge of communist China. A dynasty of foreign invaders leading a nation in part built on nativist rebellion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What was the -phobia in Persona?
Someone in the development pipeline no only really like homophobic and/or transphobic jokes, but also has a powerful aversion to having positive gay characters. In particular Persona 4 had a fairly normal gay love interest who was far enough along in development to have recorded romance lines in English. All references to that character being gay when then cut with no explanation give, despite all of the information for it still being on the game disc, just inaccessible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The English being less actively evil in this zombie world version of the Great Famine than they were in the real world version of it is kinda weird. If it were true to life they'd be forcing them to work those zombie blighted fields regardless of casualties.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nessus posted:

They didn't particularly try to stop emigration during the Famine, or at least if they did I never heard of it. They just didn't help particularly, either.
It wasn't the British government but English landlords that did everything they could to keep the Irish strapped to the land and exporting the resulting food rather than letting the Irish eat it. At every single point during the famine Ireland had a net food export. Also it was widely known that other strains of potato were far less impacted by the blight, but the blight vulnerable potatoes were the ones the primarily English land owners could turn a profit selling to the rest of Europe. The Irish Potato Famine was very inch the genocide that the Holodomor was, just you know perpetrated by and for capitalists.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

The one thing that's always confused me about the Sasquatch is like...is smelling that big a part of Sasquatch lore? Is that a thing? I thought that was just the skunk ape.
It's skunk ape and all of the southern US sasquatch esque monsters. As far as I am aware it rarely shows up outside of that region.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Everyone posted:

The weird thing for me is that it wasn't until this thread that I grokked the concept that gully dwarves are what happens when humans and dwarves mate. That... is just deeply hosed up on so many levels. First off, enough humans wanted to gently caress enough dwarves to make an entire subrace of these guys. Then, instead of caring for their offspring they threw them the gently caress away in places like Xak Tsaroth. At this point I think the gods should've thrown multiple mountains at Krynn, wiped out the lot of them and started over with something else. Dolphins, maybe.

Kender are at least cute. Fine, the halflings of Krynn are an entire race of 9 year olds (who still have sex to make more kender but whatever). I'm surprised we don't have half-kender running around because the human "punishment" for pedophiles in Krynn is exile to the lands of the Kender or something.

Half-orcs. Half-elves. Half-ogre. Now Half-dwarves. Half-dragons. Tieflings, which apparently Half-demons/devils or something. Is there anything that humans won't gently caress?

I remember a guy from the Dresden Files RPG bouncing the idea of a Half-hob off of us. And my take was:

This is a Hob.

Take a look at that thing and realize that what you want means that someone had sex with that thing. Someone wanted to have that thing's babies.

And his take was "Maybe it was rape?"

Because in RPGs rape always makes everything better. *sigh*
Honestly if an RPG is going to go in on half races it really should just go full Galaxy Quest. Yes he is aware that his girlfriend is a squid, not a woman with squid costume items, and everyone is just okay with that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

there is very unfortunately a 3.5e splat book that's all that, it's very much peak "Because you can make a splat book of it, doesn't mean you should"
I'm aware of bastards and bloodlines. Which is more about the weird eugenicsy stuff that should really be avoided. I'd just prefer if the baseline assumption, for games not explicitly about fighting prejudice, was that two sapients of different species can be attracted to one another and gently caress without there being any weird explanation needed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd just say pick where you play as a drow with funny hair or a beholder with elf ears.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Covok posted:

RE: Song of Ice & Fire, do the campaign rules have systems to support dropping 90% of the plot points and having everyone be wildly out of character in the last 2 sessions?

Gun Jam posted:

Their opening post says it's based on the books, and not the show, sooo
If it was based on the show people would have to slowly start losing interest and roleplaying effort at about the halfway point of the game, not just the last 2 sessions.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Shallows is a drat fine short story that does all of that better, by just having a guy go about his day in a post Mythos world and remember bad poo poo that happened between the apocalypse and now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

It's a decent fanfic, given the steep grading curve that implies. It has some genuinely good bits, some genuinely bad bits and a lot of mediocre bits. It probably doesn't deserve the heavy scorn it gets from some people, but definitely doesn't deserve the worship its biggest fans give it
It's a cult recruiting tool, just like the other super big Harry Potter fanfic.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My Immortal isn't a fanfict it's art.

I was referring to Dumbledore's Army.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't get why D&D proposes societies that people only worship one god out of a pantheon. Why wouldn't it be more like real world polytheism where you worship the whole pantheon based on occasion, and mystery cult priests dedicated to one god or people who have a single god as a special patron are specialties rather than the norm?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

another practical reason is that, functionally speaking, real life pantheism frequently represented an attempt to unify the individual gods or smaller pantheons of different people who were conquered, assimilated, etc. into a common (or at least overlapping) framework

realistically imitating this wouldn't mean having people worship all the gods of a D&D campaign setting equally, it would mean that every kingdom has its own semi-exclusive pantheon that shifts and expands in tandem with mortal politics

... except a) that makes absolutely no sense if the gods literally exist and are the instigators, rather than the result, of mortal culture and politics and b) it would multiply the amount of work you'd have to do for what is ultimately just background fluff in actual play, most of the time
Couldn't you just have the Roman/Greek assumption about the world be right. Where each culture has its own version of the gods but it's still basically Hermes, Zeus, etc but they just don't have perfect communication with their followers? Real life had D&D style devoted to one god kinda priests in polytheist religions, but it was for specific cults or shrines of that god, and did not reflect how ordinary people worshiped.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nessus posted:

So who was patient zero for the entire "what if gods... gained power... FROM THEIR WORSHIPPERS" idea, anyway? Who is the son of a bitch who invented Comic Sans?
I think it's a logical extension of the Bronze/Iron Age belief that gods received sustenance from the smoke of their sacrificial fires.

It's even present in the Bible Exodus 29:18 "Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the Lord, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the Lord."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes it is and I'm not arguing that Christianity or modern day Judaism believe that God is dependent on humans, but rather that the idea of humans providing food to deities through ritual is present. Even if the deity in question does not need to to survive. The passage I quoted is the New International version, but food for good through sacrifice is present in most translations of both Exodus 29:18 and Exodus 29:25. Here's a link if you're curious. This was also a commonly held belief among other religions of the Levant, Anatolia, and Greece, with Exodus just providing a specific example. It isn't a far logical leap in a setting with gods that aren't all powerful to go from sacrifices and worship rituals being food to worship giving the gods power directly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The gods appreciate aroma, therefore one must light an extra bowl for them at all gatherings.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

It is important to look at your site you linked and realize those are all Christian translations, and none include the commentary that is customary with Jewish translations, which collate and summarize key rabbinic arguments of the past, explain the nature of the Hebrew and its etymological roots or meaning as understood by the rabbis, or the legal traditions built up around the actual verses and the Talmud.

By citing just the text, and in Christian translation, you are missing over half of the context and choosing to favor a translation that is explicitly reframed to feature a more anthropomorphic deity, as support for the idea of Jesus being manifest in the Old Testament rather than taking the actual context of the Torah.

Religion and translation are complex and slanted by assumption and goals.
Alright that is fully fair, I did not have that additional context.

edit: Is there a similar context against anthropomorphic interpretations of Greek gods accepting burnt offerings?

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 4, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thank you for the additional information, I am woefully uneducated wrt Jewish traditions.

Though I was aware of the reasoning for Greek gods whole being tricked by Prometheus deal.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

To be honest I hadn't consider the Christian translation issue and had erroneously assumed it was some pre-Judaic paganism slipping in from earlier traditions.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think what a lot of people want out of a real robots show is just Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan but with robots.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Unless the Union specifically and violently excludes them there is no way there aren't Juggalo hunters.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

The product doesn't actually tell you not to root for them because, it just assumed that it didn't have to. Or at least that people understood the empire is really bad and writes their own propaganda. Turns out, big mistake.
I don't think that is fair to the audience. The source material had especially in the mid 2010s explicitly moved to siding with the imperium.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Everyone posted:

I never really got into 40K at all and admitted don't know that much about it. That said, from what I understand, it's not that the Imperium are "the good guys" exactly so much as that every other major faction or power group is measurably, horrifyingly worse.

Like, say there was a situation with the Empire from Star Wars, the Reavers from Firefly/Serenity and the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica were in conflict (and relatively equally matched). The Empire is almost cartoonishly evil with Palpatine at their head. However, the Cylons want to destroy all sentient organic life and the Reavers want to rape, kill and eat organic-seeming sentient life (and not necessarily in that order). So, if you have to choose one of these factions to join/support and you're not either a sentient machine or a rape-murder-cannibal, you're kind of stuck supporting the Empire.
The problem is that this is exactly how real life fascists view the world. They claim their extreme measures are necessary given the enormous evil present in the world looking to destroy people at every turn. This is especially bad because 40k specifically takes a lot of poo poo from the Spanish Inquisition and it's depiction of Chaos corrupting and undermining humanity is very similar to how the Inquisition characterized people of Jewish or Muslim descent.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If the fiction presented terrorists fighting against the imperium as the protagonists this wouldn't be as much of an issue my dude.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

no

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ultiville posted:

Not that I'd keep the card without removing the nudity and adding some more detail about why freeing her might be difficult, but is it actually bad here? Per the summary of the card, if you free her she's grateful.

Is it just bad because weretigers are listed as "always evil" so you presumably freed some evil creature? It kind of seemed like helping her wasn't bad there.
This kinda reminds me of a funny situation in dwarf fort caused by differing ethics between civilizations. Elves consider tiger men to be animals and cage them for domestication and will have them for sale in their caravans. Dwarves rightly consider tigermen sapient beings and thus this is slavery, and slavery is wrong. So if you buy a tigerman off an elf caravan he is immediately freed and just starts walking around as a normal citizen. However because he or she cannot understand dwarf they cannot be assigned labors and just wander around non-verbally socializing. This tends to get them lots of friends which in turn means they are usually elected mayor.

edit: evidently elves thinking tigermen are animals was removed in the most recent version, but it's still an interesting emergent gameplay bit, even if it was unintentional.

The encounter card has a kinda weird implied backstory. Either the zookeeper made an honest mistake and the weretiger lady was good natured enough to not use her supernatural power to kill a normal dude just grabbing tigers for a zoo, or the zookeeper knows he has a sapient being as a zoo exhibit and is thus the villain. Either way it doesn't really make sense for the twist of her being a weretiger mean she shouldn't be helped.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 7, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ultiville posted:

Yeah agreed, I'm not interested in this card as a "aha, you shouldn't have helped her!" situation. It just didn't look like that was the case from the card summary. Maybe there are some details in there that got glossed over that change it.

In any case, it's also missing some information I'd want, like what you highlighted there, to create some sort of clear conflict or larger situation to interact with than just "throw the lady a rope, move on with life."
Unfortunately your take is more interesting than the card itself. Here's the full text.

The Pcs are given free tickets to
the zoo from the inn where they are staying. As they travel about the zoo they see
many strange and outright unusual creatures from all over the realm, as well as
numerous mundane, ordinary animals.
While passing the tiger cage they see a
beautiful unclothed woman in the cage
with the big cats. She calls out to the Pcs
for help, crying that she is hurt and
trapped, and needs their help to escape the
cage.
If the Pcs help her out of the cage she
responds gratefully. However, if they suggest calling the keeper, she urges them to
rescue her now. An Intelligence check
means the Pc has noted she seems to be in
no apparent danger of attack from the
beasts. Indeed, they react almost like
house cats around her, if they are not ignoring her completely.
The Pcs must choose between the lady
and the tigers. If they refuse to release her,
she becomes infuriated and changes to her
weretiger form. She springs forward,
throwing herself against the bars of the
cage in an attempt to grab any of the Pcs
standing near the enclosure

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean if we could remove everything Carnegie or Rockafeller did that'd probably be a net positive on America. "Built America" either means killing natives or killing union members and both of those had nothing but negative effects on present day life.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

Not saying you’re wrong about the racism or the hostility, but there’s even precedent for running against that grain:

For context, he was talking about these things.

That whole “everything is horrible and incomprehensible and lose 1d100 Sanity” thing comes from nerds taking the most objectionable parts of an already objectionable whole and magnifying them even further. Meanwhile, you could, say, recast that cosmic, almost malicious apathy as an embodiment of the impersonal, grinding, dehumanizing process of systemic oppression.

Actually, perfect example of that? Litany of Earth. Story based on Lovecraft where the central character is the last Deep One survivor of the raid on Innsmouth, featuring queer protagonists, deep-delves into the racist nature of the source material actively contrasted with real-world discrimination, and a circle of protagonists that resembles a group of PCs too closely to be a coincidence. Perfect for the thread, and bizarrely it only costs a dollar right now.
Looks like a cool book. It's sad that the original Shadow Over Innsmouth actually has the protagonist's only positive interaction with anyone be the unconditionally supportive deep one relatives at the end, but only have him accept due to fantasy :biotruths:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah, and like, there's a lot of room to play around with 'good' in this context. Like, keeping with the "we are ants to them" thing, an entomologist is probably going to have positive feelings for an ant colony but he's still going to collect some for study, maybe tag a couple with paint to track, disrupt food trails to observe behavior etc etc. Which is all terrifying and incomprehensible if you're an ant! Even just passive observation, if he gets too close, is going to freak you out because instinct says "looming shadow, warm mammal breath = extreme danger". There's an experiment where they attached stilts to ant legs and it hosed with their ability to navigate because they have an internal pedometer tied to their actual leg length. They didn't do that specifically to gently caress with them, but it had that side effect. You summon some ancient Thing and thinking it's helping it opens your third eye and leaves, and now you see things you shouldn't and your thought processes are scrambled in ways that make day to day life almost impossible but hey sometimes you can rip apart reality. Anyway I lost my train of thought but there's ways to play around with things
Isn't this also exactly how Yog Sothoth interacts with Randolph Carter?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Undercover mission going well until your protoshoggoth party member just can't take talking to enemy even one second longer and slimes out. You're now in a desperate siege situation, but drat did mercing that guy in the middle of his speech about racial superiority feel good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Got their own afterlives, still in Shyish. I imagine that there is probably a push by the Order Alliance to get to and protect those underworlds. I’m...not totally clear on what the Orruk afterlife beliefs are.
In most other GW material orcs believe in reincarnation. After you die you're just dropped in a new orc body.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

...in the RPG materials.

That kind of grounding stuff isn’t in the Fantasy army books, either.
I mean the 6th ed Vampire book I got feels several steps less silly than the stuff currently on display. Whereas this feels a lot more like a 40k codex.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I somehow think that people still preferring Warhams Fantasy over AoS are the last people to be mad about their game being old. Like Age of Sigmar the thing being discussed is already half a decade old. so given the horrendous speed GW released army books at any given example is going to be a decade or more old. The last Bretonnian army book was released 17 years ago for sixth edition, Tomb Kings was 9 years ago.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 15, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Elder Things and Yithians would be my guess. Both are immigrants to earth who have a vested interest in keeping it around, and don't have any real connection to things that man was not meant to know, beyond advanced science. Both also have interesting social dynamics that would make them difficult but not impossible partners. The Elder Things have the fantasy elf thing going on where they were in charge in the past, but have long since mostly died off and now would likely have difficulty adjusting to a world run by someone else. Even if that someone else is on their side. Then the Yithians have an impossibly long view of what is important and would cause conflict by always prioritizing the long term good over immediate goals, even if the immediate goals are more important to the humans and Elder Things involved.

Then you also have all the old necromancers and evil wizards running around Lovecraft's earth. Yeah they're evil but they still want to live in their horrible old castles and rule the world, not destroy it. Randolph Carter is a similarly powerful dimension wizard who is willing to do anything he can up to any including dooming another full sapient species to extinction to get back to living a as a normal human, so he also works as a human ally. With the Case of Charles Dexter Ward you even have the implication that Merlin of all people is real, a good guy, and running around as a super powered zombie. It seems weird that zombie Merlin as quest giver isn't more common in Cthulhu RPGs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TBH in Shadow of Innsmouth itself, going full deep one seems pretty nice. Yeah there is the "oh the madness is taking hold" framing, but it''s immortality and a family of unconditional love. Even willing to forgive accidentally getting some of your cousins killed. The downside is what, having to live underwater, getting scales?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Imagine actually wanting to facilitate characters interacting with all three parts of your game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Thank you all for all of your suggestions. I'm compiling these into a single multi-quote in case I ever try to do CthulhuTech But Better or something.
Something else I was reminded of by the serpent people is that Yig REALLY cares about his kids. Not just serpent people but normal snakes, and snakes are a terrestrial creature. He tricked a woman into murdering her husband and then transformed her into a half-snake monster for killing one nest of baby snakes. I imagine the potential extinction of all snakes on earth might motivate him to be protecting earth even in absence of people working with him. Could lead to adventure ideas involving finding and protecting endangered species of snake from extinction in return for divine boons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey buddy I like snakes and feed mine quite well.