Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like marvel movies and Scorsese films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mr Hootington posted:

I like marvel movies and Scorsese films.

A real hedger. You make me sick.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

A real hedger. You make me sick.

I'm sorry. My hate for capitalism isn't pure enough to forsake marvel movies and just watch Netflix's the Irishman.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

no thank you!

Bro Dad posted:

nah the comics, he rebooted them after very successful runs (like the avengers and x-men had wakanda tie-ins) and now they're both some of the lowest selling comics marvel puts out.

lol jfc. what a dumbass

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

some Marvel movies are good fun but they're very paint-by-numbers and hinting at depth that absolutely is not there, like Pixar movies tbh

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

You disappoint me, regular show guy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dr. Killjoy posted:

weren’t the greek pantheon not so much a true working religion among the people as they were the patron deities of cults not representative of the general population?

Kind of similar to how people treat and think of superheroes in general, but thanks to a very active and vocal minority who practically worship the properties they (and by extension the corporations that control them) still have an outsize impact on our cultural output.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a joke about white guys having lukewarm takes and fragile egos.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Kind of similar to how people treat and think of superheroes in general, but thanks to a very active and vocal minority who practically worship the properties they (and by extension the corporations that control them) still have an outsize impact on our cultural output.

the reason the greek epic cycle, apart from Homer, is lost is because it was considered to be lovely fluff by it's contemporaries

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bro Dad posted:

nah the comics, he rebooted them after very successful runs (like the avengers and x-men had wakanda tie-ins) and now they're both some of the lowest selling comics marvel puts out.

Wow the art is bad.

And the dialogue incoherent.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tricky D posted:

the reason the greek epic cycle, apart from Homer, is lost is because it was considered to be lovely fluff by it's contemporaries

neat

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
2500 years from now people will still be watching the empire strikes back but all they will know of the prequals are posts scavenged from dead gay comedy forums

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's a joke about white guys having lukewarm takes and fragile egos.

"they have access to the whole internet" is a very funny punchline, regardless.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow the art is bad.

"heartland beating noble and red as my russian home" ?????????????????????????????????????

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

yeah, people treat Disney properties with a creepy amount of reverence

https://www.vulture.com/article/wandavision-episode-8-recap-previously-on.html

i like how this person opens up with a recanting that implies the rest of the piece is going to be an artistic defense of wandavisions themes but then he just does a long winded recap that doesnt really explain what the shows about at all

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow the art is bad.

marvel and DC comics becoming relatively expensive forms of media, while sticking to a monthly schedule that leads to bad art and fill ins, is extremely funny

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nichael posted:

"heartland beating noble and red as my russian home" ?????????????????????????????????????

this is the sort of thing a writer comes up with when they're a loving dumbass who knows jack dick about poo poo and their editor doesn't want to upset them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow the art is bad.

that looks like Leniel Yu who is usually good but is clearly working with a trash script on a deadline

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

marvel and DC comics becoming relatively expensive forms of media, while sticking to a monthly schedule that leads to bad art and fill ins, is extremely funny

It really puzzles me why anyone would buy monthly comics anymore. Just switch to trades and release them like novels in a series instead of this archaic schedule that's requires people to go to nerd-infested stores that have trouble staying solvent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Eric Cantonese posted:

It really puzzles me why anyone would buy monthly comics anymore. Just switch to trades and release them like novels in a series instead of this archaic schedule that's requires people to go to nerd-infested stores that have trouble staying solvent.

Eurocomics have been doing this since the 80s.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
scorsese was right about literally everything he said about comic book movies

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

I assume it's a mix of tradition and some sort of dumbshit engagement metrics thing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's just the stupidest, most badly-run tower of cards industry perpetually suspended moments from collapse.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Eric Cantonese posted:

The more I read about this show, the less I want to watch any kind of television anymore. I guess that's good?
I knew as a kid TV was made by people who won the social lottery; but being an adult in my mid-30s now just made profoundly aware just how insular, arbitrary, and nepotistic the whole process is.

I just hate auteur programs with a "voice" or a "viewpoint" knowing it's just some lib more and more. I say this as someone who had many formative liberal heroes and voices as a teen and young adult.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
When I read a synopsis about Thanos being in love with death I think "well, that's kind of poetic and theatrical I suppose" and then you read about some of the other poo poo and just laugh. Who the gently caress can stomach this poo poo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Death is a hot goth lady so you can kinda understand where he's coming from.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Alan Silvestri is a hack and the marvel movie soundtracks are particularly awful, though I kinda enjoy Ramin djawadi's iron Man score because it's so ridiculous

Maybe Ragnarok had ok music

Also Hans Zimmer loving sucks

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
zimmer's actually a brand of his own a la Tom Clancy, he has a whole company with underlings trained to output his flavor of BWONG BURRMM

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

Death is a hot goth lady so you can kinda understand where he's coming from.

That’s DC’s Death. Not Marvel’s.

I can’t believe I owned up to knowing that.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

smh if you wouldn't bang a skeleton woman
also DC's death is manic pixie dream girl trash by a man who fell for Amanda Palmer

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Dr. Killjoy posted:

zimmer's actually a brand of his own a la Tom Clancy, he has a whole company with underlings trained to output his flavor of BWONG BURRMM

That's why I say he loving sucks

Weirdly Zimmer supposedly orchestrated djawadi's iron man soundtrack but I find that hard to believe

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Dr. Killjoy posted:

also DC's death is manic pixie dream girl trash by a man who fell for Amanda Palmer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bone tits

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Cool thing about being a skeleton is that if you want to wear a tight corset all you've got to do is pop off some ribs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like comic books and have just made it to the year 1980 in my quest of reading all batman comic books. You don't have to pay for them either.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Dr. Killjoy posted:

sometimes she looks like a skeleton, sometimes a hot chick. depends on the sitch. one time she friend zoned Thanos so he used the Infinity Gauntlet to make himself a waifu.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

sometimes she looks like a skeleton, sometimes a hot chick. depends on the sitch. one time she friend zoned Thanos so he used the Infinity Gauntlet to make himself a waifu.

What a simp.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

why not use the gauntlet to make Death love you. fuckin idiot

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the continual nerd insistence that all past works of art are actually as bad as/identical to superhero movies is literally exactly what scorcese was warning about in that article he wrote a few weeks ago lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

You disappoint me, regular show guy

they gave him money to make an adult cartoon and he somehow made somethign that feels less adult swim than regular show