Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go is a much better game than Chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Aglet56 posted:

it's called xcom

it would be interesting to see an alien invasion scenario in which the invaders actually have the information advantage of a species able to get here in the first place (battlefield: LA or whatever that movie was called was sort of that), but it would be really depressing as a strategy game

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Imo if you're watch sci-fi from the 60s/70s you should also watch the original mobile suit gundam

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Imo if you're watch sci-fi from the 60s/70s you should also watch the original mobile suit gundam

And make sure you watch the full darn series instead of being one of those idiots who watches the compilation movies. The show is of its time but it's all good, drat it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Gundam doesn't even have the excuse of being entirely reanimated gorgeously the way Do You Remember Love does while cutting the substance out of Macross. It's just doing it to lazily watch less

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Aglet56 posted:

it's called xcom

A NetFlix series about Darksydephil playing Long War on hardest

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you don't wanna get overly committed to an anime series then just put on Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky which is only like 70 minutes because HOLY gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YLByUkQkF8

all that debate over can you make an anti-war war movie and jesus loving christ December Sky just loving screams past that entire discourse and lays down the loving law

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 08:51 on Nov 2, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gundam more like gunDAMN

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

Chess is boring as poo poo. Have they invented a chess variant where you can abuse RNG and information asymmetry?

Yes, there is fog o war chess where you can't see your opponents pieces until one of your own can attack it along the file or diagonal and there are various Fischer chess variations where the back rank layout is random but balanced. Im a big fan of fairy chess on a 8x10 board.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just play Go instead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How about you... Go... to the polls!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Taintrunner posted:

The real horror of JoJo Rabbit is that the Nazis were human beings, just like us, with the same potential for inhumane cruelty, which should be a lesson to take to heart as Americans are currently living in a country with... *checks notes* literal concentration camps on the border

sorry they weren’t all portrayed as bloodthirsty sniveling dogs that could never ever possibly be seen as human beings in any way. this “critique” is about as embarrassing as the Robbie Collins meltdown as he proceeds to mansplain the entire film to his female colleague and whinge about how dare it not be Schindler’s List 2

this is 100% correct and it's important to note that schindler's list came before Ordinary Men dropped as a book and kinda shattered the notion that nazis doing bad things required "bad people" or anything

Soldaten(a book about the narratives of German POWs that were being recorded) also gets into it- they noted that anti-nazis among German POWs were just as likely to tell stories about atrocities they did(or claimed to just watch) as devoted nazis.

Panzeh has issued a correction as of 12:34 on Nov 2, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

The real horror of JoJo Rabbit is that the Nazis were human beings, just like us, with the same potential for inhumane cruelty, which should be a lesson to take to heart as Americans are currently living in a country with... *checks notes* literal concentration camps on the border
And it would be neat if the movie showed that instead of bending backwards to portray the nazis as people who were duped by Hitler and didn't really believe In nazism.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

And it would be neat if the movie showed that instead of bending backwards to portray the nazis as people who were duped by Hitler and didn't really believe In nazism.

You're a loving moron and an overly combative dipshit if you seriously think the movie went out of its way to portray the cast as "didn't really believe in Nazism." You have absolute goonbrain and an utter illiteracy and inability to watch film if that's your takeaway from the picture. I'm Jewish with Holocaust survivors in my bloodline, just to be clear. There is literally nothing offensive about Jojo Rabbit that shits on the memories of the millions of Jews killed in the Holocaust.

Sam Rockwell's character is a borderline ubermensch whose entire subplot is (correctly) crack-pinging and going full doomer-brain who comes to accept that this fascist wave was complete horseshit.

Rebel Wilson's character is a true believer right up to the end, shoving hand grenades up the arse of literal children and shooing them off to suicide bomb the Allied forces. She gets completely and correctly humiliated in the face of the Red Army.

The little kid sidekick played by Archie Yates, the child true believer in the Third Reich and Hitler, gets completely loving humiliated, running around with a bazooka vastly oversized whilst wearing a paper uniform, and is never treated as anything but a literal child. I am sorry you did not get to see an actual child dismembered by the bayonets of the Red Army.

I would reccomend Shadows of the Ostfront by Dan Carlin to satisfy your bloodlust.

The main character, played by Roman Griffin Davis, a literal child, is the main point of the picture, explaining that even a child indoctrinated in the most hateful regime of all of human history, can realize this is all bullshit, and find love in the sworn enemy he has been taught since birth to despise and oppress. He ends the movie by literally murdering Adolf Hitler, his imaginary friend, as illustrated by the propaganda of the Third Reich.

Jojo Rabbit literally screams at you that every single last Nazi was a horrific piece of poo poo that deserved to be murdered and killed and deserved no sympathy. The survivors are... *checks notes* ....literal children that realize that the Third Reich was wrong all along. Jesus loving Christ. Did you need Joseph Stalin himself to shoot JoJo and Yorki in the loving head, literally point blank, in order for you to feel secure in yourself that you and your family and American society could never, ever, possibly be Nazis? I mean, as a literal Eco-Stalinist, this sure sounds a bit loving extreme.

Then again, the last time you and I squared off, you already proved yourself to be visually as well as textually illiterate. Sorry I can't help you.

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Nov 2, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"A literal child kicks Hitler in the dick and finds a new life with his Jewish girlfriend in the chaos of the fall of Berlin" is secretly Aryan propaganda, I am very smart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CHCOjgjUo

edit: if you really don't believe me just watch this supercut of Yorki scenes

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 13:54 on Nov 2, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

gundam more like gunDAMN

Gundam America

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i'm extremely loving upset at how godawful new gundam breaker is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

"A literal child kicks Hitler in the dick and finds a new life with his Jewish girlfriend in the chaos of the fall of Berlin" is secretly Aryan propaganda, I am very smart

This pithy description doesn't make jojo rabbit sound like aryan propaganda but it also doesn't much make it sound like a movie with a decent grasp of child logic or an understanding of how propaganda actually works if it really thinks an indoctrinated kid can break his brainwashing through horniness and moral willpower

I'm not a fan of these kinds of stories in general because they really just boil down to stdh.txt for people who like to pretend they're too smart to fall for propaganda and are frequently repurposed into stupid crap like that clip saying che was the hitler of cuba because once you acknowledge that propaganda is an abstraction nothing about the format actually requires the designated bad guys to actually do anything evil

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

been watching mythic quest: ravens banquet and it’s alright so far, but the dark quiet death episode is legit good

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Then again, the last time you and I squared off, you already proved yourself to be visually as well as textually illiterate. Sorry I can't help you.
I don't even remember "squaring off" with you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Some Guy TT posted:

This pithy description doesn't make jojo rabbit sound like aryan propaganda but it also doesn't much make it sound like a movie with a decent grasp of child logic or an understanding of how propaganda actually works if it really thinks an indoctrinated kid can break his brainwashing through horniness and moral willpower

I'm not a fan of these kinds of stories in general because they really just boil down to stdh.txt for people who like to pretend they're too smart to fall for propaganda and are frequently repurposed into stupid crap like that clip saying che was the hitler of cuba because once you acknowledge that propaganda is an abstraction nothing about the format actually requires the designated bad guys to actually do anything evil

Imo seeing a movie before having an opinion on it can be a useful tool in the critics Arsenal

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

You're a loving moron and an overly combative dipshit if you seriously think the movie went out of its way to portray the cast as "didn't really believe in Nazism." You have absolute goonbrain and an utter illiteracy and inability to watch film if that's your takeaway from the picture. I'm Jewish with Holocaust survivors in my bloodline, just to be clear. There is literally nothing offensive about Jojo Rabbit that shits on the memories of the millions of Jews killed in the Holocaust.

Sam Rockwell's character is a borderline ubermensch whose entire subplot is (correctly) crack-pinging and going full doomer-brain who comes to accept that this fascist wave was complete horseshit.

Rebel Wilson's character is a true believer right up to the end, shoving hand grenades up the arse of literal children and shooing them off to suicide bomb the Allied forces. She gets completely and correctly humiliated in the face of the Red Army.

The little kid sidekick played by Archie Yates, the child true believer in the Third Reich and Hitler, gets completely loving humiliated, running around with a bazooka vastly oversized whilst wearing a paper uniform, and is never treated as anything but a literal child. I am sorry you did not get to see an actual child dismembered by the bayonets of the Red Army.

I would reccomend Shadows of the Ostfront by Dan Carlin to satisfy your bloodlust.

The main character, played by Roman Griffin Davis, a literal child, is the main point of the picture, explaining that even a child indoctrinated in the most hateful regime of all of human history, can realize this is all bullshit, and find love in the sworn enemy he has been taught since birth to despise and oppress. He ends the movie by literally murdering Adolf Hitler, his imaginary friend, as illustrated by the propaganda of the Third Reich.

Jojo Rabbit literally screams at you that every single last Nazi was a horrific piece of poo poo that deserved to be murdered and killed and deserved no sympathy. The survivors are... *checks notes* ....literal children that realize that the Third Reich was wrong all along. Jesus loving Christ. Did you need Joseph Stalin himself to shoot JoJo and Yorki in the loving head, literally point blank, in order for you to feel secure in yourself that you and your family and American society could never, ever, possibly be Nazis? I mean, as a literal Eco-Stalinist, this sure sounds a bit loving extreme.

you really need a loving break if you are getting this worked up about this (plus your general insanity)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Homora Gaykemi posted:

And make sure you watch the full darn series instead of being one of those idiots who watches the compilation movies. The show is of its time but it's all good, drat it

I assume the compilation movies cut out the vitally important quest for salt

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it also cuts out the part where they mention the first generation of space colonists were sent there against their will.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

Look at this guy underestimating the power of pubescent horniness.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Some Guy TT posted:

an indoctrinated kid can break his brainwashing through horniness
That is LITERALLY how I broke from Capitalist brainwashing as a child (16, but still).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the only pure and true ideology is horny

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Imo seeing a movie before having an opinion on it can be a useful tool in the critics Arsenal

This is fair but aside from my usual laziness everything I've seen or heard about jojo rabbit has reenforced this impression that I would probably hate it the whole thing looks like Tim burton with nazis

I did eventually watch gotg2 on cable since ellis loved it and someone here threw shade on me for not giving it a chance but nope that ended up going exactly as I was expecting too

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i always thought there was their weird aspect to the whole "random joe reviews a movie" thing

like, you have to go pay to see the movie...but whether you like it or not, that you paid is considered a success because that and that alone figures into box office numbers

so you can hate a movie all you want, but if you paid for it, and sat it through to the end so you have the authority to say "i watched this whole movie" means that even if the movie is poo poo...the studio still wins

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I just realized I never saw that rick and morty that takes the piss out of gotg and I probably should because it sounded interesting from the review I read

I liked the one about heist movies but of course I'm not a big fan of heist movies and I hated the sting solely because the twist seemed really really obvious

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Marx Was A Lib posted:

i always thought there was their weird aspect to the whole "random joe reviews a movie" thing

like, you have to go pay to see the movie...but whether you like it or not, that you paid is considered a success because that and that alone figures into box office numbers

so you can hate a movie all you want, but if you paid for it, and sat it through to the end so you have the authority to say "i watched this whole movie" means that even if the movie is poo poo...the studio still wins
what

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

This is fair but aside from my usual laziness everything I've seen or heard about jojo rabbit has reenforced this impression that I would probably hate it the whole thing looks like Tim burton with nazis

I did eventually watch gotg2 on cable since ellis loved it and someone here threw shade on me for not giving it a chance but nope that ended up going exactly as I was expecting too

its not a good movie but it is completely deranged to argue with people who watched it with entirely third hand anecdotes from twitter. like at least read the wikipedia

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farm Frenzy posted:

its not a good movie but it is completely deranged to argue with people who watched it with entirely third hand anecdotes from twitter. like at least read the wikipedia

personally i fart deeply, inhale the wise aroma and know all i need to know

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Some Guy TT posted:

I just realized I never saw that rick and morty that takes the piss out of gotg and I probably should because it sounded interesting from the review I read

If its the episode I think you're talking about, it's not exactly a piss take of GotG exactly, more super hero groups in general. It's actually one of my favourite episodes of the show, so you should check it out.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Uh I read the reviews and I read the stuff here with reasonably specific plot details

I've also been pretty careful to avoid commenting about jojo rabbit directly I'm mainly discussing the archetypes the movie seems to dip into which I consider to be interesting even absent the context of jojo rabbit

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The context of the film Jojo Rabbit, like America in real life, is that they live in a fully nazified society and the film is just a slice of life of the characters involved.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I am currently procuring Malone (1987) and I am really excited to watch it

got burt reynolds, Tracey Walter, the president from Escape from LA

https://i.imgur.com/IqAGpnj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/lrwQ8sc.mp4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Some Guy TT posted:

Uh I read the reviews and I read the stuff here with reasonably specific plot details

I've also been pretty careful to avoid commenting about jojo rabbit directly I'm mainly discussing the archetypes the movie seems to dip into which I consider to be interesting even absent the context of jojo rabbit

it seems to me you don't know what archetypes the movie dips into because you haven't seen it but that might be a naive position

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Are you actually going to contradict any of my assumptions or have you not seen the movie either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

discuss the archetypes of deez nuts