Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
A few days ago in the success thread some mentioned another thread had a long write-up on the neoliberal bullshit in Harry Potter. Anyone got a link to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Listening to the Citations Needed podcast ep on the West Wing, and the clips played of it in the ep is the first I've anything directly from it since the show came out at a time when I was young and did not give a poo poo about political drama, and for being supposedly a good guy in the show's eyes, it was surprisingly just how vile of a person Toby Ziegler (who both clips focused on) sounded like.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

He'sa piece of poo poo. Check out the Worst Wing.

That a lot of Obama era lanyards were influenced by this show really explains a lot.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Winter Soldier is good.

Civil War has the kind of Nolan Batman issue of the solution to "government control bad" is that super powered vigilantes should be able to operate free of jurisdiction or accountability.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

is blues brothers cultural appropriation, show your work.

I want to just instinctively say no to defend one of my favorite movies but really not my place to comment as a white dude.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

TNC is a case study for why black pessimism is mostly motivated by resentment that black men will never be full partners in the white bourgeois project. So they're stuck in a sort of nightmarish superposition where they've internalized liberalism's premises while resenting its actually existing politics.

Yeah I've generally heard that TNC is really good politically but this comic is casting doubt.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cnidaria posted:

the entire white walker plot line ended up basically being pointless and was resolved in the stupidest way possible

That plot line was doomed the moment it got past the books because it's the most overtly supernatural stuff in the story. For whatever reason HBO decided that the right people to show run a fantasy series were two guys who hate fantasy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

it turns out the solution to oppressive monarchy is to simply democratize it and elect the right monarch, who knew?

well "democratize" it in as far as letting a handful of nobles elect the ruler, after actual democracy is laughed at

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Skellybones posted:

The threat of "a lot of normal ships" was enough to justify the galactic threat in KOTOR, but they had to start off the new series with "surprise there's a new planet sized death star that can shoot anything" and finish it off with "A hundred death stars!!!"

?

Well the super-weapon in KOTOR1 was just the main woman NPC's unique force power.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So I guess that Obama produced documentary won an Oscar? I haven't seen it; is it actually ok or just capitalist propaganda?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Any good reviews/breakdowns of the film?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zvahl posted:

play the dlc to get their particularly backpedally reason as to why Daisy does what she does and you can get even more mad

What's the reason?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Totally forgot Vernon Chatman also made The Heart, She Holler and very surprised that got two more seasons.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's a good write up but also a slightly more pessimistic take than I got from the movie (I need to watch it again, it's probably my favorite animated film still.) I don't think she knows the relationship or moving to the country is doomed to not work. I think it's unlikely that it does, but I think the important thing is that step into uncertainty. Whether it works out or not, she's for once able and willing to try and follow through on something she wants.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

yeah this plot is like 40% of all SVU episodes for instance. also this plot plays out twice in bong joon-ho's memories of murder

I only remember bits and pieces of SVU from my mom having the TV on all the time for cop shows, but I remember the main character in that one being a raging rear end in a top hat even more so than other cop shows and it would try to justify his behavior even when the show points out he was going after someone innocent.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zvahl posted:

this is true and i avoided looking at it until i was watching the show again in like 2016 and i came to the revelation that the only character i really liked was because it was chris meloni and he's hot

still hard to stay off cop shows because an hour procedural is the easiest possible media to consume lol

Really liked him in Happy (still need to watch s2 of that).

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ace Attorney, and that's more based on the Japanese legal system that's even more obviously hilariously lopsided

The treatment of criminal defense attorneys compared to prosecutors though both by the court system and public perception felt real accurate in those, if particularly heavy-handed at points. Iirc a scene in the first has the crowd openly booing Phoenix after some bad looking evidence is shown and includes a kid asking his mom if defense attorneys are bad people.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

On twitter they are trying to figure out which characters would have voted for trump like Hank Hill or the parks and Recs libertarian:
If still alive at 82, Holden Caulfield born 1934, is statistically probably Maga.

Hank would absolutely hate Trump on a personal level but feel like voting for him in 2016 is his civic duty. 50/50 on if the "NeverTrump" Republicans this year would convince him into voting Biden instead.

Bill would be 100% full Q-anon/Maga and believe everything someone in that group tells him. Dale would have an initial interest but get kicked out of a q-anon group for also believing in conspiracies that implicate Trump in something.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

I was also very underwhelmed with the first two episodes of Harley Quinn

I thought it got better as it went on and started expanding the cast more.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah I remember the election episode they did where Hank initially practically idolizes GWB "the greatest orator of our time" and just a poor handshake is enough to make him agonize over the vote.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Confession: despite being someone born in the late 80s, I really have not seen most of the early Simpsons episodes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Do any streaming services currently have Simpsons starting from season 1? I remember last time I had Hulu they only went back a few seasons from the current one.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Hard to see exact lineups without being able to log in, but looks like they have the full series. Thinking of just like, watching and giving short reviews somewhere of each ep of the "good seasons" (up to s8 or so seems to be consensus) from the perspective of someone who's been surrounded by Simpsons quotes and memes his whole life but has only maybe watched half a dozen eps all the way through.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is that comey series out yet and are there any great reviews mocking it yet

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MoaM posted:

Not that CSPAM necessarily needs this PSA, but:

https://twitter.com/LicensedT0Ill/status/1316388214576476165

Vance is a venture capitalist who was in the marines as a public affairs guy, went to Yale Law School, worked for Peter Thiel, and didn't live in Appalachia.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The books didn't interest me as a kid so I've never known anything about that series beyond that there's a Lion and I guess it's meant to be a Christian allegory.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kids Next Door had an entire episode devoted to a riff on The Second Renaissance.

Yall should watch that show because it was goddamn wild, I'm not sure how C-SPAMy

KND had some pretty brilliantly directed episodes iirc, like the one that was basically just a GWAR music video.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

nonathlon posted:

It's a terrible film. The only argument: is it entertainingly terrible? I'm on the fence about it - while the filmmakers seemed to realise they had a ridiculous property and concept, and leant into it, it doesn't disguise that the whole thing is really dumb.

Bonus points for how the Ghostrider's teenage crush goes away Caucasian and comes back as a Latina.

The main thing I remember about the movie is that it also had one of the first scenes I remember recognizing as a "this only exists so the shot can be used in trailers/promo material," where Sam Elliot transforms into the predecessor Ghost Rider entirely to ride down an empty highway with Nic Cage then bail once they get to where Cage is going.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I read a funny article a little while back called something like "why is sound mixing in movies so bad?" and it was a Hollywood sound engineer basically saying "we try our absolute hardest to make the dialogue comprehensible but then inevitably the director comes in and says "gently caress it crank the music and sound effects to 11" and then we say "now no one can hear the dialogue" and the director who has memorized the entire script (and who sometimes wrote the script in the first place!) and knows exactly what word comes next in every line says "nah it sounds fine to me I can tell what they're saying" and then the movie comes out and no one who hasn't already memorized the script has any idea what the gently caress is happening

I have to watch most live action stuff these days with subtitles/captions on for this reason.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

oh boy can't wait to read another comic about a highschooler fighting demons while his double d 16 year old female friend stands awkwardly so coomers can get a panty shot

manga isn't always about that

sometimes it's zombies

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
"Where there's a whip there's a way" from the Rankin/Bass Return of the King by itself makes those movies better than Peter Jackson's.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

mention of rankin bass making me miss venture bros real bad rn because i saw this for the first time the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbldnSRTM3Q

kinda amazing tbh

This is amazing and knowing that Dragoon/Red Mantle are actually The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly in the VB setting makes it even better.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i had only seen red jacket lupin on toonami years ago and then i watched the original series on lupin and thought the different tone in the first half of it was very interesting. there's an episode where lupin stays in prison for years to gently caress with zenigata because zenigata just knew he'd break out

That one's probably my favorite episode in the franchise still. Zenigata also had moments of competence a lot more often in the earlier stuff I think. Part of the reason Lupin stayed in prison so long is that he refused any outside help from Jigen or Fujiko, because he felt he needed to even the score after Zenigata successfully caught him.

The Goemon vs Lupin episodes before Goemon joins the gang were good too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

i say swears online posted:

coincidentally I'm playing through ffviir for the first time and I love that I'm part of the extremist wing of the terrorist organization

I'm not a big fan of like, every change the remake's made but the version of Barret in it is so good.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

It really puzzles me why anyone would buy monthly comics anymore. Just switch to trades and release them like novels in a series instead of this archaic schedule that's requires people to go to nerd-infested stores that have trouble staying solvent.

I assume it's a mix of tradition and some sort of dumbshit engagement metrics thing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Wolverine should be a tiny ripped dude.

Yeah the only problem with Hugh Jackman for the role is that he's a whole foot too tall.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Serf posted:

momoa is fun as dirtbag aquaman but he's reduced to mostly just taking his shirt off in slo-mo (not complaining)

I want a Momoa cut of the movie that's just nothing but shirtless Momoa scenes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Serf posted:

dude takes off his shirt in the beginning and some rando norwegian woman picks it up and smells it

Glad there's at least one character the audience can identify with.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I actually quite like the Persona "I'm not a gamer" model of difficulty settings. The Witcher series did that pretty well also. Sometimes I want to see what all the fuss is about, but without having to get 1st place in some dumb racing minigame that's disconnected from how the rest of the game plays. This may have something to do with my reflexes being on par with those of a sloth

Persona series is one of the few games I play on easy despite actually liking the combat and poo poo in it because those games are like 80 hours long already without needing to grind up or figuring out which broken personas to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Point it out once and then write all future battles to take place somewhere it won't be a problem lol

Just rent out one of the infinite barren wastelands from DBZ.

Evrart Claire has issued a correction as of 10:41 on Apr 20, 2021