Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

been watching the Sopranos for the first time and it's more C-SPAM than I thought it would be. All the cops and FBI agents in the show are shown to be morally repugnant and completely callous in regards to the lives that they destroy every day. it also mocks the American conservative mindset in just about every way possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD61skoMk8

Season 1 starts off with the corrupt detective so loving morally bankrupt he beats up Melfi's date to humiliate him hoping to score favor with Tony. Literally the only positive portrayal of authority in the show ends up being the cop who refused a bribe, and had his career completely derailed by Tony's request to Zellman to gently caress with the guy for daring to write him a ticket.

It also goes hard against the "civilian" side to like the one white family where after getting carjacked the husband starts yelling out racial slurs, when Melfi gets raped her ex-husband goes on a tirade against poc's, or the upper middle class witness so proud to report Tony and Co. to the police so they could do something about all the "drug crime" in the area and then freaking out and recanting the moment he finds out it was mob related.

David Chase realized pretty quick that viewers were straight up idolizing Tony and seeing him as heroic so he made sure to make him as monstrous as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

its weird as hell seeing pop culture stuff from twenty or thirty years ago that was considerably more upfront about political dysfunction of this racist devil cracker nation but somehow today is the era of woke media because theres

huh

i was going to say black superheroes then i remembered that there were black superhero movies in the nineties too lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAWWmLfkWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WukhbpAhvrc

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Starship Troopers was a masterfully crafted movie, the cheesy daytime soap pastiche was intentional.

Much like Aliens, it holds up because it's legit good

It's easily the best in the trilogy. The final one leans too hard into the parody and just makes it obvious.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

While I'd personally agree that Aliens was the most entertaining film in the trilogy, Alien was a phenomenal and incredibly influential film.

Starship Troopers, much as Robocop before it, was a one-and-done IP.

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dreylad posted:

that sounds like it's a bunch of people parodying liberal feminism but i should know better than to think it's anything but god's honest truth

This poo poo is fascinating, and I think it ties directly to YA fiction becoming the popular fiction of our times. Suddenly everything is life lessons and positive depictions because the audience is theoretically youngish kids, but the critics and reviewers all seem to be people who are much older. I'm interested in reading more about Good Dog/Bad Dog criticism.

That professor's experience just hits home that so much discussion surrounding art and literature and books and film exists in a void where historical context just doesn't exist. For me you can't talk about morality or politics about anything without some historical knowledge but that just doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It's also a problem because YA fiction is incredibly loving shallow and lets them take away whatever they want from it. Turns out JK is a raging conservative transphobe and suddenly tons of odd but not creepy stuff from her books now reads in a wildly different manner.

I don't think the article reads like its parodying anything and just having the exchange between the author and her old white professor is perfect to explain the problem. It won't really matter what she does to present complex topics on race & media the people who want to make an issue of it will always assume she's their ally regardless of anything else because they don't see her as a figure of authority.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

#3 is the best origin story IMO

There's at least one story where everyone thinks that and then through circumstance his mask falls off and he's ranting about ugly and disfigured from what Reed did and everyone kind of states as he looks totally normal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It holds up so well because all those scenes of satire and going so hard against any sense of reason or logic have happened in real life in the last 4 years.

Up to and including the propaganda mouthpiece being a pretty blond woman.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It has the Angry Black Woman rebel leader holding a white child hostage and ranting about how they need to murder all the white children while you bang against the window in panic trying to stop her before waifu-heroine teleports in and shoots her to save the white children, then drops the gun and starts crying like "what have I done I'm a monster"

There's very few things in video games that get me more angry then anyone trying to pretend like it Bioshock Infinite wasn't abhorrently racist and completely missed the loving point at every step of the way.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Feb 12, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

well this is one of the funnier contexts to find out that the extremely dumb screenwriters guild rules are preventing pocs from getting recognized for their writing credits

also they were writing for a paycheck, and probably knew what the people in charge wanted to see, so that did that as well. the whole "well a poc told me about it so it must be true" is another thing white people love to do to reaffirm their weird ideas about race.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Why is "Captain America: Time Rapist" a forbidden topic in CD

Was that started by SMG or was it just the natural result of CD being CD?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

If it's just like Hardcore Henry only from the pov of a raging coked up bear I would 100% watch in theaters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This. The original series at least has a basic message of "imperialism is bad and it takes concerted and sustained armed resistance to topple it." Korra undoes all of it by having the original series characters go on to found a colony which develops into an industrial capitalist state. Each season of Korra has a villain who represents a different political tendency - communism, radical environmentalism, anarchism, and fascism, respectively. The villain who gets the most overtly sympathetic treatment is the fascist one lol. The others are caricatures of the politics they represent and Korra stands in opposition to them as needing to "maintain balance" (i.e., the status quo). There was a lot of potential in the Avatar setting after an industrial revolution but in practice it's just relatively unvarnished centrist propaganda.

The colony was actually a very early Firebender colony in the Earth Kingdom, and after 100 years the locals and their occupiers had kind of mixed together into a unified culture, and after the war Aang wanted to force all the firebenders and their decedents to leave and destroy the colony. The whole "balance" thing to him meaning returning everyone to benders only living in the element specific kingdoms was the correct solution. Instead he rejected the Avatar spirits telling him to destroy the mixed culture city and the place ended up becoming the only "modern" city in the world society.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DesertIslandHermit posted:

5 has kungfu cowboys but that is all

Hellraiser has the worst sequel lineup since Wishmaster

Uh, Leprechaun?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ironically the only guy you could trust in Alpha Protocol too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

They already did this, the Pinkertons sponsored a tv show called literally "The Pinkertons"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinkertons

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

can't wait for this to become the new right wing darling like Tim Toolman Taylor chud show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

drat how badly did zoe quinn burn bridges that she, the literal patient zero of gamergate, isn't getting that gig?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

same. i mean it WAS lazily done but i actually kinda liked it and with maybe a little more enthusiam or effort it could have been good. the version without it is also good too though.

anyways gattaca was pretty decent but i feel it's also brain poisoned a whole generation of libs.

Edward James Olmos gave a speech to the UN in character as Captain Adama. Maybe not the UN, but something like that.

actually yes it was the UN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtubiCfYjY

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

Nah we went over this before, the Aurora shooter never said anything about the Joker, or Batman really, it just happened to be the most popular movie the weekend he wanted to do a shooting. The media added that association because it was just crazy about Joker for some reason

And they were literally posting cops at Joker showings on opening night Just In Case

They did the same thing for Straight outta Compton and were shocked, shocked! there were no gang shootings or mass violence from black audiences.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

as far as I can tell, Netflix hired a bunch of people with Left Twitter accounts for some reason a few months ago and just fired them a few days ago
https://twitter.com/SultanReina/status/1519756220025946116?s=20&t=FQfay4OK5J0coTbOmGWV4w
https://twitter.com/SaraQDavid/status/1520080376286359552?s=20&t=FQfay4OK5J0coTbOmGWV4w
https://twitter.com/freeblackgirl/status/1519755086984929281?s=20&t=FQfay4OK5J0coTbOmGWV4w

If they were all writing for a show I'd be less confused. But they just seem to be "writers" unattached to projects?

https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-layoffs-tudum-writers-people-left-full-time-jobs-2022-4

Why did Netflix launch a fansite for itself

"people moved to CA for this" yeah that's hosed up but if they were writers/creatives what were their other options? NY?

Why are so many of these people going from "full time employed at a massive tech company" to "about to be homeless plz help!"?

I'm reminded of that Yelp woman who wrote a scathing public email to the CEO about wages and having to steal all the free cereal to survive who decided she needed her own studio apartment outside SF when she moved up there for a 40k/yr job.

edit: lol the one who left the union job has her twitter pic of her at a podium in front of a sign that says "Fair Contract Now"

The last one also says in her tweet they were offered $300k/yr for the job. Uh, loving what?

pentyne has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Apr 30, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Oh el oh loving el they were all contractors including the left a union job woman
https://www.thedailybeast.com/tudum-writers-cruelly-laid-off-by-netflix-speak-out-i-felt-like-adam-scott-in-severance

quote:

Dionne—the only full-time staffer on the team of full-time contractors

So the only full time was 300k/yr.

quote:

But the unimaginable pay was an opportunity that was simply too good to pass up. The hourly pay ranges offered annualized to $124,800 to $176,800, according to an Insider report—enough money to pay off credit card debt and finally start to build savings, dreams that can feel out of reach for even the most seasoned journalists. Besides, this was Netflix. Surely things could hold out at least for the duration of these writers’ and editors’ contracts.

Still contract work.

quote:

Reactions to the layoffs have run the gamut from smugness to solidarity. Some journalists, particularly those who cover entertainment, resent their peers who join any of the in-house publications and social channels Netflix has created, at least in part one imagines, to help the company both skirt and drown out negative coverage. Perhaps the most famous detractor, former Vanity Fair editor-in-chief Graydon Carter, called Netflix editorial “propaganda in magazine form” in an Insider report published earlier this year.

“The oil companies used to do this sort of thing in the ’70s and ’80s,” Carter said. “‘Oil is good.’”

The staffers who spoke with The Daily Beast were all familiar with that narrative. Perhaps unsurprisingly, two of them also unfavorably name-checked Carter during their interviews. “I don’t know what type of stories Vanity Fair has not published because they didn’t want to upset anybody,” one of them said. “But in culture journalism... It’s not like we’re in some basement and we’re Washington Post reporters or anything like that.”

Another former staffer wondered why these critics seem to feel little empathy for their peers in an often exploitative industry. “I just sometimes think, like, show a little solidarity for your comrades, my guys,” they said.

“I’m just editing or writing a little piece on The Ultimatum or some other poo poo,” the former staffer added. “How am I Exxon? It’s like, if you’re mad, direct that where it belongs—direct that to Netflix. Don’t direct that to the people, your colleagues, that they exploited.”

I do have some sympathy for people who took high paying tech contract jobs (lol) and get summarily fired in a matter of months, but a defense strategy of "well I work for a toxic and terrible place but I just do minor stuff, don't blame me" doesn't quite land as harsh as you might hope. It really has the taste of a scab crossing the picket line then complaining their union friends are now mad at them.

quote:

At this point, the former staffers’ primary goal is to secure a better severance package—one that might actually help cover the expenses they’ll face as they plan next steps. Some Tudum writers and editors relocated to more expensive areas for their jobs; others left stable jobs and turned down freelance work. To send them packing with a mere two weeks’ pay, one of them said, is “pretty evil”—especially when the executives in Netflix’s corner offices make so much more.

“I don’t rejoice when something like CNN+ gets poo poo-canned,” another source said. “I don’t rejoice when Quibi gets poo poo-canned. I don’t rejoice when people took a chance and were offered something they’d never been offered before, a dream situation, and they get loving destroyed.”

“How are we the assholes?” they asked. “loving capitalism is the rear end in a top hat. These companies are the assholes.”

True, true, all too true. I can see the siren call of make a easy six figures and leaving your solid contract union gigs, especially as Netflix apparently aggressively recruited mostly women and POC making a working environment unlike 99.9% of similar situations, but this is some pure FAANG ""the signs were everyone" from day one. I only think the people who left good, stable union jobs are the ones who deserve it. All the talk about unions, labor rights, and employee protections goes out the window when they see beaucoup bucks on an offer sheet. I don't even blame them succumbing to temptation but the gall of union woman to both make employee rights her personality and then turn around and do that, while arguing on twitter she was right to do it, undermines everything she claims to be working for.

Just the overall presentation, a six figure job (contract sure) with a team led by a black woman and hiring many poc and female creatives? It's literally a unicorn in that nowhere else is remotely doing that much less at that pay scale so it should've been rightly understood it would be the first thing axed in a slight stock price dip.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Apr 30, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Love Death & Robots season 3 teaser dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

"volume" 2 was a lot better than the first one, I thought, so I'm looking forward to this. Especially if it could be the last with the way Netflix is blowing money.

DId anything in volume 2 hit as hard as the Alastair Reynolds stories? Kind of wondering why Netflix didn't just commission one of his series as a TV show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

someone did post the clip but if you haven't been clicking the spoiler tags don't click this either

https://twitter.com/coopercooperco/status/1578390012898557952

What part of the billion they spent on it do you think it cost them for that scene that looks like someone just turned the CSI Miami Orange filter to max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The clickbait headlines for this special are some of the most insane I've ever seen. Tons of article headlines like Insiders' "Chris rock slams Megan Markle for accusing royals of racism" with no mention of him calling the royal family most racist people in the world anywhere in the article. Media knows where their bread is buttered and are fiending for that ad revenue clicks like a opioid addict.

Lots of poo poo for him name dropping Jada Smith too. I guess it's kind of weird but he still seems very personally angry about the entire thing even a year later and it's clearly influencing his act, even after he finished the set he was on stage staring at the crowd not like he was happy but still working through his emotional turmoil over it.