Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I also want to throw out there that Office Jim's other other action movie was 13 Hours: Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

It's pretty much an open secret that Krasinski has been working with the CIA, most recently outed when Josh Olson, who wrote A History of Violence, mentioned on a podcast he does with Dave Anthony that he had a meeting with the CIA (because, honestly, even if you disagree with everything about the CIA, you kinda have to take that meeting just to see what it's like to meet a spook whose job it is to lasso in Hollywood for propaganda), and partway through the meeting, said spook tells him that they already have an actor on board for the stuff they've been discussing. Olson never mentions the guy's name, but Dave brings up the Jack Ryan show a few minutes later and Olson is like "oh, how'd you know?"

I mean it should have been a given once he did two CIA-boosting things back to back between 13 Hours and Jack Ryan, but I guess since both shows sank into the muck of "who cares" like every other piece of pop culture does these days, nobody really noticed

I wonder if Harrison Ford realized what he'd been a part of by doing those 90s Clancy movies and that's what has made him extra ornery in his old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

the man needs to pay money for the castles he spent a ton of money on, and he's having fun doing it

We all wish we could try to climb out of immeasurable debt by making something like Mandy or Mom & Dad or this

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

people tend to forget before he became James Cameron, he was just a truck driver. Basically all of his works outside of True Lies - itself a remake - and his documentaries, which are just “oceans are cool as poo poo, guys!” are very working class views, like “corporations and the traditional power structures that have existed are inherently evil and dehumanizing and I like to blow them up”.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Le Morte De Author would be a good screen name

so would “oh no, promotheus”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

etalian posted:

hopefully they don't run into the long detailed articles on breasts

“what if we do a story about this Bigger Luke”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Regal Cinema just showed me 30 minutes of trailers and ads before the movie fml

capitalism returning us to the golden age of cinema! Just... with ads, ads, and more ads instead of a cartoon, news reel, and two movies. And the movie’s just an ad for further movies down the line in the franchise

I intended this to be a joke and then I remembered the whole recent declaration by the Justice Department declaration that they’re not going to be enforcing the old Paramount decision that stopped studio-theater vertical integration, oh god it’s actually going to become this :gonk:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Folks we've talked a lot about CATS but there's an adventure in music that you should be watching instead:

Part 2 of Carole and Tuesday was just released on Netflix so there's no reason not to watch it anymore. It's directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the guy behind Cowboy Bebop & Samurai Champloo, who is also probably the best music producer in anime. Carole & Tuesday is in continuity with Cowboy Bebop and takes place over a decade after the FTL gate disaster that made Earth a hazardous environment. Refugees to Mars are the cause of a political crisis that's becoming a presidential election issue. A poor refugee from Earth and a runaway rich girl meet each other by happenstance and form a musical duo that becomes a viral hit.

This is a show that lampoons the music industry as it exists today, while still celebrating music for its ability to bring people together. The ending is deeply naive, but the narrative is self-aware enough to recognize how idealistic it is and it ends up working anyway. The ending hinges on Hillary Clinton admitting she did something wrong. The real hook of the show though is that it ends up simulating for the audience the experience of discovering new good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTQ1a3oB_kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7uk8YfDFuw

That's Thundercat and Flying Lotus.

Carole is vocalized by Nai Br.XX, a black singer from Queens, and Tuesday is vocalized by Celeina Ann, a half-American Japanese musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxdLZ4a6gP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_aYhHqYk8

It's good, folks. It's the new anime for people who don't like anime.

Where would you put it against Watanabe's other "I really like music" anime, Kids on The Slope

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

net work error posted:

Kids On The Slope was such a good show.

:hmmyes: Intersecting a kid's brain expanding as he finds the form of music that really gets his fire going with the leftist student protests of the 60s that Watanabe was born into was a great combination, mashing up the American art that Japan fell in love with and a teenager expanding his world against the American political influence that stirred up strife in a country still unsure of its identity and a battle between the youthful hope for a world where they, as a country, would be self-reliant and not following the big gorilla in the world for fear of the gorilla turning on them and the elder generation that looked at it as the gorilla now being a "friend" and not to jostle it into turning against them, made for a hell of a show.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All of Watanabe's anime are "I really like music" anime, they just have a different genre theme. Kids on The Slope has a particular focus on animating the instrumental performance of musicians while C&T has more of a focus on the body language of singers.

Cowboy Bebop: the jazz anime
Samurai Champloo: the hip hop anime
Kids on the Slope: the jazz anime, but this time it's ABOUT jazz
Space Dandy: the disco/dance anime
Terror in Resonance: the post-rock anime
C&T: the pop music anime

This is a good summing up of his work. I think your two posts have sold me on checking it out.

Also, holy crap, has he not directed a show since Terror? drat, that seems like a shame, unless most of his five years since then has been just concentrating on this.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

a friend of a friend of mine literally stopped talking to said friend after he said on Twitter that Force Awakens was kind of a lovely movie. Like, not even “this was the worst goddamn thing I’ve ever seen”, just “this movie was a bit below average and pretty boring”. Dude flipped out on him like “you’re joking, right?”, friend responded “no, that’s just what I thought of it” and dude blocked him and cut off all communication, hasn’t said a word to him in four years now.

Fandom breaks minds.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Battleship’s honestly incredibly good compared to the average summer blockbuster. It’s not classic cinema, but it’s thematically coherent, looks like a movie more than a TV show, the interplay between the leads is varied and funny, the jokes themselves are varied in form and delivery, the cast is diverse on gender and race (that this has to be considered a point in a major Hollywood movie’s favor is... sad), and they drift a loving battleship. It’s the sort of movie that if it came out in the late 90s or a time before we were dunking full-on into whatever abattoir that 2010s blockbuster cinema became as everyone chased the Marvel dollar train, it’d probably have been a big hit and looked back on pretty fondly instead of being a “lol, you made a movie out of a board game” joke.

Marvel gets Tadanobu Asano, and they do nothing with him for two movies and murk him to show how dangerous Cate Blanchett is; Battleship gets him, puts him as co-lead of the movie and gives him an actual arc and plenty of heroic moments where he’s shown to be the more capable, mature leader - just not a guy who would go “the only way out of this is to drift a battleship” because he’s not an insane person who would think of that.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah Battleship is a good movie

so was The Kingdom

too bad about the rest of Peter Berg's movies since

Best thing he’s done is still Friday Night Lights, though, both the movie and getting the TV show off the ground.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

I need to rewatch that because I was too busy being like drat Captain Picard went bonkers after he retired. Seriously Patrick Stewart as the lead skinhead was inspired for out of character it is.

(It doesn't help that Anton Yelchin is the lead either, get those nazis Mr. Chekov.)

sounds like someone hasn’t seen the terrible 1996 Mel Gibson vehicle Conspiracy Theory

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dimension actually became a Weinstein Company subsidiary when they quit Disney over Disney not wanting to release Fahrenheit 9/11 in late 2004, they straight up bought it from Disney right after they left. I'm guessing because that's what all the horror franchises they would need to build a foundation for the company on were legally owned by, since horror's like the single most reliable genre in movies to make a buck.

Disney would later sell off Miramax in 2009 and every movie produced under it to an investment firm and now I think it's owned by beIN?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

id love to find otu that the CIA infiltrated MGM to make extremely lovely action movies

How do you think 13 Hours and the Jack Ryan Amazon series got made

CIA goes around Hollywood roundabout every ten years and nabs up guys and girls to be willing propaganda tools, they’ve done it since at least the 60s

take a guess which TV actor desperate to wipe off his successful run on a popular network show readily took their bait this most recent go-round

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

weren't the bad guys in die hard 3 like German neo nazis or something? of course it turned out they're just thieves like in every die hard

Former East German military turned into mercenaries. It turning out that Simon is Hans’s brother, but he doesn’t actually give a poo poo that John killed Hans because Hans was an rear end in a top hat and it was all a cover for stealing the gold was pretty fun.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

I've only seen assault on precinct 13 once but frankly it didn't blow me away; the little girl getting murked in the beginning is pretty tasteless and the whole thing about how it's a remake of night of the living dead but with inner city gangs instead of zombies is pretty tough to get past nowadays. the soundtrack really does rip poo poo up though

Rio Bravo, not Night of The Living Dead. Yeah, both are siege movies, but John Carpenter is a massive, massive Howard Hawks fan. And people have asked him and he’s just said “yeah I made it because I wanted to do my own Rio Bravo”, and played off the headlines of the mid-70s to modernize it. if cowboy movies hadn’t been dead when he got into filmmaking he’d probably have spent his career doing that.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Id watch The Thing with cowboys

whole new meaning to “there’s a snake in my boots”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Peanut President posted:

after returning to earth gypsy got cancelled due to her name, crow t robot became a major supporter of antifa, tom servo thinks "all extremists are bad", and mike nelson died in a car accident while driving too fast going to a cheese convention

what about the mads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

starkebn posted:

Due to Ennio Morricone dying I watched "Once upon A Time In The West" tonight. H.o.l.y s.h.i.t. what a movie. The music, the camera work, the location, the performances. Just tension building for the entire runtime as you piece together what the hell is going on. Amazing film. It well deserves it's high place on film rating lists.

“help your lovin’ brother down.” *guitar string plucks that rattles your bones, howling harmonica*