Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
hockey 0 0%
sure 0 0%
hickey, thomas hickey 0 0%
86 100.00%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Dom has a pretty good article on the Athletic about the recent Marner signing. Essentially, he projects to provide more value than his deal, even if he regresses this year (which he probably will). He makes the argument that the difference between a star and an average player is immense (~3 wins compared to 1), and it's better to pay for your stars, because the difference between depth and the bottom isn't as huge. Depth has been getting overpaid relative to their production.

He ends it by saying that the Leafs paying elite talent is a good problem to have. While they may be treading on uncharted ground because no other team has paid their stars this much relative to the rest of their team, the talent the Leafs have also produce a lot of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Bruins/Maple Leafs Game 7 2013

Def watch this one lol

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Enjoy your fake community service Kuzy.

quote:

ARLINGTON, Va. – Washington Capitals forward Evgeny Kuznetsov has released the following statement on the National Hockey League’s three game suspension:

“I have decided to accept the NHL’s suspension today. I am once again sorry that I have disappointed my family, my teammates, and the Capitals organization and fans. I promise to do everything in my power to win you back with my actions both on and off the ice. I also understand that I am fortunate to have an opportunity to make things right. Thanks to the Capitals, NHL, and NHLPA, I have taken many steps in the right direction and I’m confident that I will continue on that path. I am grateful for everyone’s support and I’m looking to move forward from this point. While I can appreciate that people may have additional questions, I will not be commenting further on this matter.”

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Did the Jets have to obtain copyrights for that from the Coyotes? I don't know how that kind of thing works.

Problem leafs will have is if one of those stars gets injured and they don't have depth down the lineup to makeup for it because they're basically spending all their money on a few players. I still think there's way too much talent on that team that they don't win a cup in the next 3 years though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

Did the Jets have to obtain copyrights for that from the Coyotes? I don't know how that kind of thing works.

Problem leafs will have is if one of those stars gets injured and they don't have depth down the lineup to makeup for it because they're basically spending all their money on a few players. I still think there's way too much talent on that team that they don't win a cup in the next 3 years though

I believe new Jets bought the licenses from Phoenix, yeah.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Dr Zaius posted:

Check out the 2011 finals and 94 finals while you're at it.

no don't

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/status/1172900960517144582?s=20

the promo's amazing, as they threw in a Ken Wilson commentary, (mostly) accurate channel-flipping, and a deep-cut local ad

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

VOTE1 posted:

So there's still a while till anything worth watching is on, without saying who won, what are some games that are worth watching to pass the time?

2016 World Cup is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKInDoep8s

Game 1 of the Caps / Golden Knights Stanley Cup was pretty fun.

2017 Playoffs had some great games

Apr 15th Maple Leafs / Capitals
Apr 27th Rangers / Senators
May 5th Oilers / Ducks

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 14, 2019

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Some of you are also forgetting that depth for the current Leafs includes people like Kapanen and Johnnson. Our depth is fine. What killed us last year was our incredibly lovely lower end defence because Babcock has a hard on for old lovely plugs.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Game 3 of the Winnipeg Nashville game in 2018 was great. That whole series really. Went back and forth all series

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/1172912473458061312

Oh baby we're going to see a really fun top 6.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1172902982628724738

Virtanen moving on up to Group B today.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
It’ll be awesome when not a single leafs player gets injured while the entire canucks roster does. At least no ones getting snake bites to the balls anymore

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/status/1172904253909864453?s=19

hell yeah

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Shoulder patch should be the front logo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1172925669057208321

I don't know why defensemen seem to hate hitting UFA so much.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

All these throwback jerseys are looking good this year, blues, oilers, canucks, flames all :golfclap:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1172925669057208321

I don't know why defensemen seem to hate hitting UFA so much.

/Gestures vaguely in the direction of the ThinkTank aging chart/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1172928479177924609

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Flocons de Jambon posted:

May 5th Oilers / Ducks

:mad:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't get the Wild at all. Are they going for it? It seemed like they were rebuilding at the deadline, then they signed Zucc and then fired their gm. Now they're doubling down on their current core? Spurgeon would've collected a king's ransom if they traded him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VOTE1 posted:

So there's still a while till anything worth watching is on, without saying who won, what are some games that are worth watching to pass the time?

The Super Bowl Sunday game between the Pens and Caps in 2010 was fantastic and I was friggin' fortunate to be there for multiple reasons.

VGK/SJ Game 7, 2019 Playoffs

CBJ/Pens Game 4, 2014 Playoffs

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I don't get the Wild at all. Are they going for it? It seemed like they were rebuilding at the deadline, then they signed Zucc and then fired their gm. Now they're doubling down on their current core? Spurgeon would've collected a king's ransom if they traded him.

Bill Guerin thinks they can compete lol

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

heeheex2 posted:

Bill Guerin thinks they can compete lol

Maybe he thinks the Wild are in the Pacific.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

in news no one cares about, Quinn says the initial plan is to play Buchnevich with Panarin and Zibanejad, and Kakko and Kravtsov will have to "earn" top six minutes.

Which...isn't crazy, why throw them in, it's easy enough to change lines if necessary.

Sounds like Chytil will get a crack at 2C with Kreider and likely Kakko. Andersson and Howden both getting looks at C as well to fill out the roster.

I care! I’m also ok with it, give me that Russian connection :ussr:

Very nice

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

i went to the scrimmage and late-morning group drills today and here's my scouting report:

elias pettersson is an illustrious golden prince who will score 213 points this season

and quintin hughes is already the greatest skating defenseman of all time

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

goldrush posted:

i went to the scrimmage and late-morning group drills today and here's my scouting report:

elias pettersson is an illustrious golden prince who will score 213 points this season

did you get a petey autograph

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

goldrush posted:

Humbly remaining 2 back of Gretzky's record not to seem too uncanadian, I see.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

goldrush posted:

Did you bring a baby to have signed?

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

heeheex2 posted:

did you get a petey autograph

I am not an autograph seeker but apparently he stuck around for more than an hour after practice and signed/took a photo with literally everybody who lined up, so that's cool of him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Super Bowl Sunday game between the Pens and Caps in 2010 was fantastic and I was friggin' fortunate to be there for multiple reasons.

VGK/SJ Game 7, 2019 Playoffs

CBJ/Pens Game 4, 2014 Playoffs

CBJ/TB Game 1, 2019 playoffs

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Porrima posted:

Humbly remaining 2 back of Gretzky's record not to seem too uncanadian, I see.

poo poo did I say 213 I meant 216

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

hahayup posted:

Did you bring a baby to have signed?

no but I am carrying a baby now after having witnessed him

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

iospace posted:

You son of a Bitch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wonderllama posted:

You son of a Bitch

:kheldragar:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

iospace posted:

:mad:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1172997914928586754

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Too early to really say but looks like the Devils lines according to Hynes' practices and scrimmages will look to be:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Gusev-Hughes-Simmonds
Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt
Coleman-Zacha-Wood

Loving that depth

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/estevanbruins/status/1172678072467935232?s=19

Ugh.

Edit: I'm dumb, that's not Boston.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

they look like yogurt packaging