Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
hockey 0 0%
sure 0 0%
hickey, thomas hickey 0 0%
86 100.00%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks training camp has begun and Boeser is not there. How is this organization so terrible both on and off the ice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Right, I had forgotten again that the Nucks have no cap space because that’s insane, carry on

Plus unlike the Jets, Leafs and Flames, the Canucks suck rear end, are missing their first round pick and can't afford to be without their second best player for any stretch of time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's a good deal for the Leafs

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

So there's still a while till anything worth watching is on, without saying who won, what are some games that are worth watching to pass the time?

As in great/memorable NHL games from modern times?

Hawks/Kings game 7 2014

October 27, 2011 - Flyers v. Jets

Bruins/Maple Leafs Game 7 2013

If you don't know what I'm talking about with that last one, watch it first.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1172925669057208321

I don't know why defensemen seem to hate hitting UFA so much.

/Gestures vaguely in the direction of the ThinkTank aging chart/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't get the Wild at all. Are they going for it? It seemed like they were rebuilding at the deadline, then they signed Zucc and then fired their gm. Now they're doubling down on their current core? Spurgeon would've collected a king's ransom if they traded him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Any interesting UFAs still out there?

Marleau, Pominville, Vanek and Phaneuf still haven't signed from the "washed up but once decent" camp.

Ben Hutton is really the only under 30 guy left. I'm surprised he didn't get a camp invite. He's a legitimate NHLer (albeit an unspectacular one).

Neither Brian Boyle or Adam McQuaid retired this offseason so they're still officially available I guess?

Brouwer, Sbisa, Read, Rieder, Stafford, DSP and Upshall (as always) got camp invites so one or two will sign the rest are likely done or europe bound.

It's a pretty thin list overall.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Not real of course, but all too believable regardless.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I like tickets. Like ticket tickets. I went on a big road trip to Lambeau Field once and ended up framing my ticket with a picture of us. It looks nice.

A couple football teams who went paperless recently started adding a souvenir ticket into the program for people who like to collect them. I figure that's the way things will go.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Average just below $6m. Not optimal but whatever. I've never been enamoured with the automatic jump to 7+ year contracts. Would've preferred 5-6 but hey he's back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Do they have room for that without keeping Roussel on the LTIR? I forget?

No. Roussel has to hit LTIR, Schaller and likely Eriksson too to the AHL. They can't be cap complaint with the roster as it is.

They're actually in a lot of trouble now that Roussel seems to be ahead of schedule recovery wise. They'll need to figure out how to get Eriksson off the roster before then.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Huggybear posted:

Oh man how come this is not more widely reported. I was so happy he signed and I had no idea it was that bad. Can't they ice a 21-man roster to help somewhat, or is that already an assumption?

They can probably work it out but it'll mean some creative cap manipulation. My biggest concern is that they're capped out this early in their cycle with essentially everyone signed 3+ years. If this team doesn't succeed, they have no choice but to stick with it going forward.

Also the Canucks are capped out despite no one on the roster making more than $6m. That's some impressive across the board overpayment.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teams getting to choose where to faceoff in the offensive zone is going to throw me for a while.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That feels like a lot straight away for Chabot. He didn't have much negotiating power, why not wait to see how this year goes first? I doubt his price would go up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Now that we’re a couple games into the pre-season, are the Sens still the biggest dumpster fire in the NHL? Any other contenders?

LA look so bad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1087477069158723585?s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What I get least of all is that while they ended up trading him, they waited until after the majority of his signing bonuses had been paid. They spent $56m for 4 seasons of Shea Weber. That's the worst ROI ever and will kill them should a recapture penalty ever take effect.* If he doesn't play out his full contract (which goes until he's 40) they'll face a minimum annual penalty of $4.91m and most likely far more. Their cap hit if he retires prior to the 2025/26 season is a full $24.57m. :gonk:

*yes I am aware that it won't because that rule was specifically designed to screw the Canucks and no one else

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 23, 2019

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am going to try to watch hockey this year. I saw some highlights and it looks interesting enough and since baseball is winding down I need a winter sport to get into. I live just north of San Diego so the two closest teams are Anaheim and Los Angeles. I don't really like anything about LA though so the next two closest teams are Arizona and Vegas.

I don't know anything about either team other than Vegas is new and Arizona went bankrupt. I try not to be a bandwagon fan but it doesn't look like either team did all that great last year so I don't think that will be a problem.

Anything I should know about either team that might help me decide which to root for?

I read the icing and offsides rules and am very familiar with soccer so the idea of both rules wasn't super hard to grasp. I am going to do the NHL.TV thing so all I need now is a team.

Vegas is for sure your best bet. They're only in their 3rd season but made the cup finals in year one and are a perennial contender with some of the league's best players on their roster. They went out in the first round last year, but only because of a historic collapse after one of the worst penalty calls in modern history. They should be a lock for a playoff spot this year and are probably the odds on favourite to win the division. They're probably the best team in the western conference right now (on paper at least).

Anaheim and LA are both firmly in rebuild/playoff also ran territory and really won't be worth watching for the next few years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Arizona has the worst defense in the league.

The Sens are icing a top two of Chabot-Zaitsev but then again I'm not sure if they count as an NHL team anymore.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning towards Vegas anyway since they were about 30 minutes closer to me than Glendale. They are out of the blackout area too so that'll make watching the games easier.

Pull up highlights of game 7 of the Knights/Sharks this spring and join the rest of us Pacific Division fans on the "we hate the ref's beloved boys San Jose" bandwagon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Congrats to those recent stanley cup winning teams in those incredible low income tax states and districts like Illinois, California, Washington DC, and Massachusetts

And congrats on the Florida Panthers and Dallas Stars for signing all those big name UFAs to super low cap hit deals.

Bobrovsky making TEN MILLION DOLLARS should put this stupid "low tax teams have an unfair advantage" thing to bed.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Whoever got :cop: was going to pay that much. He wanted $CareyPrice.

Florida certainly didn't get him at a discount despite their incredibly favourable income tax rate.

It's almost like guys sign sweetheart deals with teams they have been with for a while and think have a shot at the cup, and not places where their effective tax rate is reduced.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Details of Matthews’ charges are out and it makes him look like a creep. Time to kiss that C goodbye Auston!

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5295831

Yes, but on the plus side the ending reads like the final line of an Onion article.

quote:

The report says surveillance video shows a male subject walking toward the complex elevators with his pants around his ankles.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1176647613279551489?s=19

This is a worrying tweet for so many reasons

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Craig MacTavish got stinking drunk, hopped into his car and casually murdered a pedestrian. After a slap on the wrist jail sentence he immediately returned to playing in the NHL and has suffered no lasting career effects as a result.

The NHL is not exactly a forward thinking organization.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Witnesses said it was excessive. He lifted and dropped the guy on his head.

That was a weird one. The kid who died had suffered a serious concussion days before and had it happened today it would've likely kept him out for a long time. The victim's family always supported Cizikas and tried unsuccessfully to have the charges dropped. Cizikas probably went too far, but there were a lot of extenuating circumstances.

Wojtek Wolski also put a kid in hospital at a party a few weeks before the draft. It emerged afterwards that he was defending his girlfriend or something, but he still only fell like 5 spots from his ranking.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ah man I didn't realize the preseason continued all the way through Sunday for some stupid reason.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

maybe I'll consider becoming a Maple Leafs fan :v:

For the first time in 50 years that's not actually a terrible idea

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dillbag posted:

please don't do this because while I personally don't have anything against the team many of their fans are a grest embarrassment to the country and the sport

As are all Canadian hockey fans

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bold take: Jim Benning is a loving mouth breathing rear end in a top hat who sucks at his job.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Loui Eriksson called the coach a douchebag on record and kept his job lol.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Imagine rooting for a Canadian team. :lol:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If the Canucks suck this year, which is a distinct possibility, they'll likely suck next year too because they have no notable contracts expiring at the end of the year. That means that it's ride or die with this support cast and any and all growth will have to come entirely from within. Given that the first round pick in 2021 is unprotected, that's a level of risk that makes Bear Stearns c. 2006 look like a bunch of nervous nellies.

Miller is a fine addition to the team. Duchene was even better and Sens fans sure wish he never played for them. Is Miller worth it if he comes at the expense of a cost controlled superstar? Especially when Petterson and Hughes will need new contracts the moment they would arrive. I, and many others, still feel this team has a couple nice pieces but is still a mess in terms of structure. If the Oilers can't figure out how to be a playoff team with McDavid and Drai on the roster, I'm not sure how the Canucks objectively inferior stars will. Basically I see this team as the Oilers circa 2013. They've got some good young players, but management's impatience means any flexibility is sacrificed in favour of short win now solutions that never resulted in wins.

They've pivoted to win now before they've had any real success. The Avs waited until Mackinnon and co. properly reached their potential before adding. Good call too because after a promising start they hit a historic low and sacrificing their future in 2016 would've been disastrous, even if it would seem defensible as supplementing a young core at the time. It's a simple concept, but deal from a position of strength.

So much needs to go right for them and given this team's track record, I just can't see it happening. Constantly missing the playoffs sucks, I get it. Ask Oilers fans what missing the playoffs for a decade means because the Canucks are copying that model to a tee right now.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 1, 2019

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hardly a surprise considering his cap hit, but man he should be on the team over literally everyone else in the bottom six.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Or it could be that he's one slightly-too-exuberant goal celebration away from another concussion.

He's at risk of a concussion regardless of where he plays, be that NHL or AHL. He's an effective contributor on a reasonable deal. If he gets hurt you put him on LTIR and his cap hit disappears. He's a worthwhile gamble for a lot of teams and it's madness the Canucks think Tim Schaller is more useful than him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1179114900200673280?s=19

Time to call up Baertschi I guess!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I'm sure we'll be flush with trades this year, what with most teams have 28 cents of cap space left.

I can't wait to see what becomes the excuse du jour this year. Uncertainty over the new TV deal perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

goldrush posted:

Seriously though it's gonna be Petey and frankly I'm surprised Horvat is left holding the 'A' but hey I'm not in the room and Petey is literally a divine king so :shrug:

It is Horvat. He'll just wear an A for the first two games before the official presentation ceremony at the home opener.