Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

quote:

An old, staid, black-and white news broadcast. “The government has as of yet released no statement bar evacuation warnings on the enigmatic explosions that rippled across the Western coast, but—oh my God. Oh God. Ladies and gentlemen, I have just been handed an extraordinary and horrifying set of photographs that were allegedly taken six hours ago by an oceanologist off the capitol cape. You should be seeing them now—"

—cut to a grainy, overdubbed film. A woman argues with an elderly man in a labcoat in front of screens showing a giant monster crushing tanks underfoot. “But, Doctor, how can we possibly communicate with it? The Enigma might not be a monster, but it can’t possibly understand our desires as human beings—"

—cut to a re-run Saturday morning TV show. “Dark Lord Enigmatron! You’ll never conquer Earth, not while we Terra Rangers stand strong!”—

—cut to a CGI-heavy news broadcast. “The Prime Minister was criticised today for using the 30-year Enigma Incident memorial service to promote a relaxed line on refugees. The Opposition accused them of “playing politics with the memories of our dear departed”. More on that at 10—”

—cut to a late-night cartoon. A knock-off Dark Lord Enigmatron wearing his helmet and a wifebeater and shorts explains to some knock-off Terra Rangers that he’s just not in the mood for battle today—

—cut to something vast and alive in cold deep space, slowly approaching a warm, yellow star orbited by, among many other things, a cloud-swaddled rock carrying 8 billion story-telling apes.

What is After Kaiju?
After Kaiju is a rules-light cinematic storytelling game of massive monsters, political machinations, and the spiderweb of stories people tell about them as generations pass. Each story is built on reality, ideals, and the stories that came before, and each story reflects or changes the world and humanity according to its agenda. The game takes a broad, mostly bird’s-eye view as we collectively explore the world and play the public and institutions within it rather than acting as individual characters. It explores how the out-of-this-world disaster of a kaiju attack and the institutional responses have consequences far into the future, and how the history people write is both less and more than a perfectly dispassionate recounting of facts.

How do you play it?
After Kaiju is a turn-based game for 3-5 players. Aside from setup and a short coda, most of the game takes place in a cycle between collectively exploring a story in detail (phase 1: Explore) and individually creating a new story linked to, within, or inspired by the first one (phase 2: Explain). Then time moves on, the world changes (sometimes because of the influence of the stories we make and sometimes not) and we pick one of the stories we made to explore in detail in the next go around the cycle. In the first cycle, phase 1 tells the story of the kaiju attack and its consequences, and phase 2 tells the stories people make in the aftermath. Where we go from there is anyone’s guess.

At the start of the game we play through the setup phase, Research, where we define humanity and the kaiju. In the Explore phase, we take turns to add details to a map or ask a question that each other player answers, before each making a skeleton of a story; in the Explain phase we ask questions about and impose details on each other’s story skeletons, before each retelling these fleshed-out stories. Then we each pick a change to make in the world and how that alters the way humanity sees itself. Finally, we vote on which story from the current cycle we should take collective ownership of and explore in the next cycle, and so on and so on until we decide to end the game. When that happens, we go to the final phase, Coda, and frame humanity’s final state upon the arrival of a new kaiju.

All players will receive a full run-through of the current WIP rules. As this is a WIP, the game may not run entirely smoothly, but some significant problems have already been dealt with following feedback from the last playtests (and if you have any suggestions or run into any problems while playing, let me know). We’ll be using miro (with a shared account) for making the map.

What expectations should I have?
After Kaiju is part map-game, part timeline-game – it’s a little bit like The Quiet Year and a little bit like Microscope. The players don’t necessarily play characters in themselves, but put together a map and timeline where shared characters take action.

Here are some more specific points:
  1. Spotlight – on your turn your input is, for the most part, uncontradictable.
  2. GMlessness – everyone has power and responsibility, though the oracle and minimalist style help.
  3. Brevity – the game involves around a dozen turns per part, with each turn being a few short posts. It’ll probably go past faster than you think.
  4. Collective Control - the stories you create could end up belonging to and changed by everyone, not just yourself.

How do I sign up?
Join this discord server (you're welcome to join even if you don't play, it's a server for rules-light/story-games in general). There’ll be a channel for each game we start, and it’s where I’ll provide a link to the full rules summary and invite info for the platform we’ll use to play the game.

Post here with some music and/or pictures that get across the sort of mood you’re after.

After a couple of days we'll start setup. If there are more than 3-5 people (including me) then we'll split into groups of 3-5 as best we can, ideally with one game playing out in PBP and another live by text on discord, with me playing in each group.

-

You can find my published games here: https://speak-the-sky.itch.io/ and here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/15183/Speak-the-Sky

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

The last playtest was fun, so I'm down for more.
I think it'd be cool if we could go for something mechanical this time, but I'm not super picky. Somewhat like Pacific Rim, but the bots are the enemy:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Up for this. Some music for the mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJd0RTOW1Y

Something a bit melancholic. Playing it earnest.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Posting interest and a few images.

The Hymn of Acxiom, The Hymn to Breaking-Strain, Mist of a Different Dimension, Parade. Thinking a lot about pop culture in the wake of kaiju.

This one's an anime OP (Paranoia Agent), but the visuals matter as much as the lyrics / song.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I love giant monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Okay, I'm closing recruitment here with the following players:
  • Me
  • sheep-dodger
  • Shogeton
  • Poltergrift
  • Tyrannosaurus
  • Covok (via discord)
  • Relentless (via discord)
There'll be the opportunity for other people to join later, either during setup or at the end of any given Cycle.

I'll be in both games, which means we'll have 2 games of 4 players. Right now there's one issue to resolve before splitting off: what are your preferences for PbP and live (text) discord (either all in one go or a session per Cycle or Phase)? I'd like to do one game of each, if possible, but I'm fine to play both as PbP.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 19, 2019