Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hooray, a new thread! :toot:

I have some suggestions for OP updates:

- Making friends and ranking them up is one of the best sources of XP in-game now, especially since Lucky Eggs double the XP bonus. Make a bunch of friends, send gifts, and try to coordinate when you become Ultra/Best Friends. Compared to when the game was first released, it's very easy to hit the "soft cap" of 30 now, which is important for tracking down better spawns and contributing in raids.

- IVs are no longer hidden. Appraise tells you (in bar form, still from 0-15) how good the stats are. You can search for perfect Pokemon you own with the filter term '4*'.

- New shop items:
Team Medallion - 1,000 coins - Switch to a different team. Can only be used once every 365 days.
Glacial/Mossy/Magnetic Lure Modules - 200 coins - Special lures for Pokestops that attract specific types/families of Pokemon depending on which one you use. They also let you evolve the Gen 4 Pokemon that needed special locations in the original games (Glaceon, Leafeon, Probopass, Magnezone).

- The best bang for your buck in the Shop comes from the Ultra/Adventure Boxes. They are the cheapest source of Premium Raid Passes and Incubators in the game (coins per item) and also come with other useful items (usually Lucky Eggs, Star Pieces, or Incense). I highly recommend saving your coins for one of these boxes. If you get your 50 daily coins from gyms, you can buy one of these boxes every 30 days. The boxes are not always available in the shop but if you wait a week or two they will almost certainly reappear.

endlessmonotony posted:

Well I got my first Unova pokemon, pokemon_name_0506.

I didn't have this problem. Make sure to restart your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got my first Snivy at the office, and my second shiny Caterpie. A good day. :toot:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Lol wtf is this goofball

The stripes make it look like it's wearing a construction worker's reflective vest. The lore says they make great guards/lookouts.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hey, anyone with a go-tcha know how to reliably get it to connect? Its hard to work but when i does i catch a mon a minute nonstop at work.

Depends on the phone. Older phones may have some trouble with it.

My Nexus 5X almost never connected right, until there were some game updates in the middle of last year that specifically addressed Bluetooth connectivity problems. Still have some problms after it but it was an improvement. The GO Companion app never helped.

Conversely, my Galaxy S9 has been rock-solid. I will have the rare connection issue (usually after the 1hr timeout), which is fixed by restarting Bluetooth and the game.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Flygon is cool and the shiny forms are cool it doesn't show up much anymore so this is pretty cool.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

T1g4h posted:

I'm sitting on hundreds of Trapinch candy from getting loads of them out of 10ks and i'm still fine with it :v:

:same:

It could be good if they give it a 2-charge Ground attack. I'm speculating Earth Power as a new move, but we'll see.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Megas were ultimately a mistake, but I'll take their designs in Go and I appreciate them far more than Dyna or Gigamaxing.

Regionals, tho? Regionals are flawless and I hope we get the Galarian ones this year.

Given how we got Alolan stuff last year I'm confident we'll get Galarian stuff around the Sword/Shield release.

Imagine having to score gym or PvP battle wins with Farfetch'd to evolve it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got a shiny Mewtwo this weekend :toot:

I also did a lucky trade with my wife. We swapped our worst Mewtwos. Mine got max attack and hers became 14/14/14. Not too shabby!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife did a lucky trade with someone at the last community day. They immediately became Lucky Friends again. :eyepop:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Auxiliary Treats posted:

https://pokemongohub.net/post/news/pokemon-go-world-tourism-day-event-announced/

Seems like a boring event to me. Regional Pokémon in 5km eggs locked to their real-world regions :effort: shiny Seviper and Zangoose released, Mime Jr only in Europe.

E: Shiny Seviper at least looks kinda cool.

At least they're finally releasing Mime Jr. And I guess the stardust discount is something. Other than that, yeah, not a great event.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Wow , time to spin zero stops and open zero gifts until this event tomorrow and get all the regional eggs

The 5km eggs are region-locked as well.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Basically, unless you are actually visiting another region (hence the tourism day thing) it's just another reason to ignore 5km eggs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Last night we did 6 Giratina raids and my first one was shiny! And one of the locals traded me a Tropius from Montreal! :woop:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

EX passes just went out. Looks like I'm getting another Shadow Ball Mewtwo next Saturday! :toot:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wow, apparently the Go-tcha scooped up my first Deino on the way to work. Taking a walk with my emo dragon buddy now! :3:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Beware my flying Pokemons says rocket Mook, so I line up 3 rock types, Rhyperior, Ttar x 2

Zubat? Ok, poison attacks, but at least it's a flying type beat it easy.

Crobat? Same again. Costs me a mon but still beat it easy.

Gyarados. loving what? 3 shots my rock boys with water attacks. Righto.

Got 'em :smug:

I usually bring my Smack Down Ttar and have a Magnezone for backup in case the last slot is Gyarados.

Coffee_Break posted:

Finally caught that 50th Psychic or Steel and can move on in the Thousand Year Slumber. How successful is anyone challenging a far away best friend you don't know personally, as I have the "win against another trainer 7 times" task? Just tap "battle" and hope they respond? How timely is the "Friend received 5 items from your gift" or sent you a gift, meaning they're on and playing right then? Don't do trainer battles much as I don't have many local PoGo friends.

Also a huge thank you to all my long time far away friends as I had quite a few pokemon from eggs to trade that were more than 10,000 km away (Shortkate1 in game).
Goon trainers are the best trainers! :D

I would join the discord in the OP and ask if someone can win-trade with you. That's probably your best bet there.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The new Team Rocket admins appear to be Sasuke, Bayonetta, and Large Beefy Man with Poke Ball Goatee.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a type effectiveness chart that's specific to Pokemon Go and also lists double resistances. Does anyone have a link?

The type chart is the same as the main games but the damage mods are different. The chart on this page is outdated (these values have been tweaked) but all the explanations are correct:

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/damage-mechanics

All the damage mods are multiplicative. So for example, if you have a Mamoswine using a ground attack in sunny weather against a Scyther, the damage mod would be:

1.2 (same type attack bonus) x 1.2 (weather bonus) x 0.39 (flying is "immune" to ground) x 0.625 (bug resists ground) = 0.351

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I personally haven't seen much of a change in my area. My main play areas are a few parks and my office so the heatmaps there haven't really budged.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 2, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The park next to our home is an Oshawott nest! :getin:

monopodial posted:

Hey DizzyBum I (sympodial) got lucky with your wife tonight...

Nice job, she told me all about it last night. :wink:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Just being able to communicate in game would be nice

Given how nasty some people get in Ingress comm channels, no, you do not want people to be able to chat in Pokemon Go.

Actually, I think some form of communication would be nice but they have to account for people of all ages playing this game. It would have to be heavily restricted.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

If the global event ticket ends up being a premium event, it could be analogous to one of Niantic's Ingress Anomaly events, where you pay for access to a designated area where you compete in various challenges over a few hours, and the winning team gets an advantage for the next event. Curious to see what they do here.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Four raids, four Mewtwos, caught them all but no shinies. Candy is nice, at least.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Conkeldurr is a mutated Bert on steroids and he is the best Fighting-type.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I still wonder how they're going to handle mega evolution in this game. They've got a year to figure it out.

My guess is you pay a large amount of candy/stardust to unlock it for a Pokemon, and they let you freely toggle it on and off. They could also require a Mega Stone item, I suppose.

Lazy option is they just make mega forms available as raid bosses only.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I got a 6th Pokestop approved in one of the map cells at my office, which means we're gonna get a new gym at work tomorrow :toot:

This one will be right on the building, which should make for some easy lunch hour raids! :getin:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVXGrgzbbY

Looks like Niantic is pursuing some unified stop approval kind of thing. Can't sign up for it yet, unless it's already out to triple-platinum Twitter-verified Capital-I Influencers or whatever.

Yeah, this was bound to happen eventually. Their submission review system was called OPR - Operation Portal Recon - and was Ingress themed. Since Ingress isn't their only game anymore, they had to strip out the theme at some point. As far as I can tell, you're still unable to access it unless you're L12+ in Ingress. But this is an important step to opening up POI reviews to non-Ingress players.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got an EX raid a week from Sunday! :toot:

Also, since we're on the subject...

The only downside to having so many EX gyms is that the invite system is still pretty sloppy. It's believed that if you raid at multiple EX eligible gyms, you only have a shot at getting a pass for one of them. Once the system checks one of those gyms for whether EX passes go out, it takes your account out of the running for the other gyms. This can actually cause other gyms to miss out on their EX raids due to no longer having enough unique accounts logged.

This probably isn't an issue in dense cities where lots of people play, but it definitely is a thing that happens in less populated areas and suburbs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

6 shinies for me, 7 for the wife! :toot:

We definitely noticed fewer community day spawns overall. We saw more usual rates once we headed to an actual park.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

https://pokemongolive.com/post/a-regi-return-2019

Takeaways:
- Regirock, Regice, and Registeel in raids for one weekend, Nov 1 to Nov 4th
- That $8 special pass is for Regigigas research, but it'll be in EX raids in November anyways so don't FOMO it
- It also comes with 10 "free" raid passes but it's not "10 premium passes", it's "10 passes as long as you're using all of them the day of the event on Regis"
- Regigigas in EX raids in November means Shadow Ball Mewtwo in EX raids for as little as 2 and as many as 5 more weeks, so act fast on those I guess?
- Shiny Skarmory, Shiny Regirock, Shiny Regice, Shiny Registeel

I'd be more interested in this if it was 10 premium passes and not 10 regular passes that you have to burn in a day. Seems everyone in my local discord feels the same way.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I talked to a guy on a community day once who told me his original username was "DildoSwaggins" but another user reported him and he had to change it, which is too bad cause that's a pretty hilarious name.

One time I say someone who's username was "ThatNiggaJamie" and I reported it, which maybe makes me a pokemon narc or whatever but I don't care.

Last night I saw someone with what is probably the worst username that doesn't break any rules, but jesus christ I just hate this guy for his terrible stupid name:

It's no Sephi69TrunksXxX420 but it'll do.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm almost constantly at 1900+ items and 2400+ Pokemon. I have problems.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

After going through my items I realized I have over 400 golden razzes. :stare:

I can't bear to throw them out so I'll just try to remember to remote-berry some friendly gyms when I can.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ritznit posted:

FINALLY. I'm so, so glad the Wayfarer thing exists. I mean, it should have existed like 3 years ago, but I'm glad nonetheless. I've already reviewed like two dozen stops, no more waiting on Ingress players to do it for me. Makes me way more motivated to submit stops on my own.

Has this been rolled out worldwide yet? I know a few regions got access last weekend.

I actually hit Level 12 in Ingress last Friday and that got me access. Man, some of the garbage people try to submit...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Giant_Pupils posted:

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/gobattleleague-announcement/

Online matchmaking, leagues and more coming in 2020. Pretty cool stuff.

Interesting... Wonder how walking will tie into it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Battle passes have a chance to appear in the 50km weekly rewards. They take egg slots though so if you fill up on eggs or get 5km/10km eggs in the rewards and run out of slots the battle passes get bumped. You can also buy battle passes for $9.99 each, good for one battle.

Ungh oh god yes hurt me more

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Darkrai is tier 6; it has way higher CP than a typical tier 5. And yeah, you really want to have a maxed-out team of counters to help contribute. You can't low-man it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Darkrai fits in well on my Alolan Raichu murder squad. :black101:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Lol I just had a stop rejected because I took a picture of a mural of a bee and the reviewer thought that I had taken a picture of a live bee. I enjoy adding stops to the game but Wayfarer is exactly like being a low-level employee at the world’s dumbest data entry company.

Hey, wait...

You must have gotten a lot of dumbass reviewers because it takes several votes to reach a consensus on a submission.

In case the mural is so lifelike that it really does look like you took a picture of an actual bee, try taking the photo from a different angle to make it obvious that it is, in fact, a mural. Also make sure it can be found on Google Maps, either on satellite, street view, or photosphere.

Actually, I should write up a post about Wayfarer tips and tricks because I've had a lot of prior experience with the system when it was Ingress OPR.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Second shiny Sneasel! :toot: Now I just need enough candy to evolve one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Hate to rain on your parade here but none of them have a chance to be shiny

According to whom?