Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Goddamn that movie sucked. There were like three boring rear end sets and the editing was legit some of the worst editing I’ve ever seen in a mainstream movie. It’s pretty obvious they didn’t spend very much money on this. Also goddamn could they chill on the exposition. Everyone’s costume looked like poo poo too. Kano was the one bright spot of the movie because he seemed like he was having fun. Cole Legit is a terrible actor. MK 95 isn’t a good movie but it feels like mortal kombat. It intros 3 characters gives them all simple motivation then they all fight for the rest of the movie. I don’t know how any one can like this new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cacator posted:

Even though this had fun moments I agree with the majority of the complaints. The simplicity of the 95 movie does so much for it. It doesn't give a poo poo why Johnny Cage can do a shadow kick or why Liu Kang shoots a fireball, they just do it and doesn't waste time explaining things.

I’ve always said it’s the perfect video game movie movie because everyone looks like they’re supposed to and they all do their moves. Not to mention the fight scenes are legitimately good and physical on top of a great soundtrack. It’s not a good movie but it’s loving mortal kombat.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

They used the same trailer set twice because it's the same location. I stopped reading after that because if you're going to just be a cinemasin and not actually pay attention to the movie that's a you problem.

There was no reason they needed to go back to the trailer set. It reeked of we can’t afford a fourth set. Also I love super ninja subzero attacking Cole with his prop family and the most he can do is throw snowballs at their car.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grimdude posted:

Why didn't they just make Cole like a young scorpion? Why did they seemingly invest so much in making it seem like that was the goal and then do something much lamer? I mean, "I came from hell to kill you" was still badass but maybe just have scorpion possess the useless character instead idk.

Not to mention he gets his rear end beat every single fight. Like I know you gotta show him grow but the first fight he gets his rear end kicked. The. He runs. Then he gets his rear end kicked again. Then he doesn’t do anything until the end.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grimdude posted:

Yeah hopefully they just learn from their mistakes and put in more of the good and less of the bad in the sequel. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be able to ditch the worst part (Cole) because of how integral they made him. Just focus on another story and cut his screen time in at least half.

They should start the second one where Cole gets murdered immediately. Johnny cage steps in and the mortal kombat yell happens.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I couldn’t stop laughing when sub zero told the audience that his name was sub zero.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Kinda shocked this was a theatrical release, felt like a B-movie throughout. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Here’s the thing. The original felt like a b movie too. Which is fine because mortal kombat is based on b movies. This one just felt super incompetent and cheap though. It really felt like no one was trying.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

explosivo posted:

I thought the implication was that she wasn't his biological child.

My wife and I were convinced she was his sister for the first half of the movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mortal Kombat 1995 had an Asian lead who was actually cool and not boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbms1vse9tw

Yeah I rewatched 95 after I finished the new one. And man liu Kang is as awesome in 95. He has so much charisma and anytime cage would give him a sarcastic jab he would give it right back to him. Not to mention his arc was probably the most fulfilling one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I hate the mentality of hopefully the sequels can iron things out. Because like they could have just made a good movie the first time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I dunno y'all I was p entertained. It is not a good film from a technical stand point, but I loved that it leaned super super hard into the game concepts and conceits. Turn your brain off, let the stupid nostalgia wash over you and chuckle at how silly it is.

To fit in the conceit of "stages" and all the catch phrases. I could care less about it making "sense" it's a damned video game property its inherently dumb and silly for a sci fi action film. The villains really could have used some fleshing out beyond the Rita Repulsa answer, but it's more or less enough.

The gore was exactly what you want and expect just totally over the top to the point of comedy.

My biggest knock is our generic main character (whose name escapes me after an entire film), his outfit was astoundingly bad costuming in the shots that weren't CG. The physical prop they made him wear was really cheap looking. The setup for sequels works for me to keep the same actors around. The choreography was wonky at times from the editing, but I actually thought they had fun with it fitting in familiar sequences from the game.

I just can't see anyone expecting high art or coherent sensible things from this so I felt like it delivered on my expectations for entertainment.

Literally no one was expecting high art. The 95 MK isn’t even a good film. But it’s fun and feels like Mortal Kombat. I ordered a pizza and smoked a joint. I was in the exact right mind set to watch mortal kombat. Then the movie fails in very basic film concepts such as editing and cinematography, writing and acting. You know the things that make a movie a movie. Like expect a little bit more out of the movies you watch.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Halloween Jack posted:

The point of the arcana is so they don't have to specifically explain why each character has super powers. I would say they probably spent less time on the arkana than they would on the bare minimum to rationalize Jax's arms and Kano's eye and so on.

I never even understand why they would even have to explain it. I’m already watching a mortal kombat movie. I’ve already bought into this weird world. Just tell me they have the powers and I’ll get over it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Playing devil's advocate, a lot of people don't really know anything about Mortal Kombat besides that it was a gory fighting game with a kitchen-sink setting. Looking at superhero movies as a model, the MCU at least explained that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver got their powers from some Hydra experiment and Klaue got his cybernetics from a Wakandan connection. Suicide Squad was mocked for going "Oh by the way, this is Katana, she has a magic soul-eating sword."

The whole thing would be easily dispensed with if Sonya, Jax, and Cole were part of the same military Weird poo poo Investigation Squad from the beginning. It also depends on whether you actually want to show Jax losing his arms in the first place or not. Like, Kabal just says "Kano's the reason I live in an iron lung" and that's all you need.

Again though the explanations are done so much better in the 95 movie. You get your earth characters with one dude being in the know. You have raiden who can explain the harder to parse stuff and then we’re off to the races. It’s funny when you watch because legit once they set everything up it’s like 5 fights in a row back to back to back. Then they slow the movie down one more time to make sure we remember what’s happening then it’s the climax. It’s such a tight little movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Halloween Jack posted:

The only interesting thing about the arkana is that you can get them from murder, which is very appropriate for Mortal Kombat.

(It also explains why these specific people are being targeted without necessarily knowing why, but that's not necessary. If fate hadn't chosen them Raiden would have.)

Yeah it could be cool if it was a the one situation where like you kill everyone with the powers you become the most powerful or something.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Vintersorg posted:

MK95 is laughably bad and the only good thing in the entire movie is Robin Shou. I just watched it again this week and just about nothing holds up minus the theme song.

Dude so much of it holds up. The screenplay is easy, simple and to the point. The characters all look like they’re supposed to and do their moves. The soundtrack is still full of bangers. The scorpion/ Cage fight scene is legit awesome. In fact most of the fight scenes are good to great. Goro is an amazing animatronic. The sets are all well done and interesting to look at. I really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The movie would have been an hour and a half shorter if sub zero had just walked up to the main character at the diner and killed him.

Instead he made it snow (??)and threw snowballs(??)and then stood still and let him get away before fighting Jax(??)

Yeah I remember that scene cracking me up where like here’s this powerful ice god and he’s lightly throwing snowballs at the hood of his car.