Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Welcome, New Viewers! Bookmark the thread and chat with us during and after the new episodes!

Survivor airs Wednesday, September 25th on CBS! Check your local listings.

:siren: If it hasn't aired in an episode, don't spoil it in this thread. :siren:

If you get a better thread title sometime in the run, post it!

Someone bought :blindside: Thanks, Mysterious Poster! You rock!

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

What's the gimmick this time?

Boston Rob and Queen Sandra will give advice to players as a reward for challenges? They'll also provide challenges to players for rewards. Something like that. Huge busts have been constructed in their likeness. It's bonkers.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel occasionally puts Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes on their channel but other times they're trying to draw traffic to their CBS All-Access app so they'll put them there instead. Worst case, just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you don't have to figure that out.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

This Season's Cast

“The jury doesn’t just reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Karishma's shirt looks like a censor bar in that image

Anyway I look forward to taking forever to actually post about this season with y'all because I'll be too busy watching AEW and The Masked singer on Wednesday nights to do it live :haw:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That sure is a gimmick. Easter Island? More like Buster Island.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still want both of those busts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Karishma's shirt looks like a censor bar in that image

Anyway I look forward to taking forever to actually post about this season with y'all because I'll be too busy watching AEW and The Masked singer on Wednesday nights to do it live :haw:

Oh drat, I didn't even realize AEW was messing with my Survivor-Know It Alls routine.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

Oh drat, I didn't even realize AEW was messing with my Survivor-Know It Alls routine.

Goddamit. NXT, AEW and Survivor will be fighting for my Wednesday night viewership

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamit. NXT, AEW and Survivor will be fighting for my Wednesday night viewership

Only one of these shows has a dinosaur that does lucha and also has a masters degree

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

Only one of these shows has a dinosaur that does lucha and also has a masters degree

and was on Big Brother

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its legitimately a taxing question for me now. AEW or Survivor. Who goes live?

Screw WWE, though.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pony: holy poo poo three way tie between Dean, Dan, and Missy

Poison: Tommy, that quote is gross

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
pony: Kellee, that quote speaks to me

poison: chelsea

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pony: Missy
Poison: Ronnie

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 26, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pony: :canada:

poison: Lauren gently caress you that's not how clocks work

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
speaking of aew, i legit thought that jack was jungle boy for a moment

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone know how much Rob and Sandra are being paid for this?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

More than the million they have no chance of winning next season, I'd bet

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Pony - Aaron - I love Harry Potter too
Poison - Noura - I don't trust people who haven't done drugs

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You guys put a lot of stock into the random quotes of theirs I find.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

It's a very good curation of quotes!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Zesty posted:

Yes, although Missy won me with her photo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Poison: Janet
Pony: Jason

gently caress, Marry, Kill: Boston Rob

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zesty posted:

Just for my own info...so these are all real quotes, but just found from different places?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpret them as joke quotes inspired by the pre game profiles.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

I interpret them as joke quotes inspired by the pre game profiles.

Thats what I thought too, but then I saw this:

Zesty posted:

and then was confused

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Pony: Kellee. I recon she will be a quote machine and I can't wait.
Poison: Chelsea. You know why.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Jack looks like the bastard offspring of Joe and Cochran.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SalTheBard posted:

Thats what I thought too, but then I saw this:

and then was confused
I recognize at least a few of the quotes from their preseason RHAP interviews, but yeah I'd always thought they were made up

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SalTheBard posted:

Just for my own info...so these are all real quotes, but just found from different places?

Except for the two that were boring, yeah. RHAP interviews and their CBS bios for this batch. Almost every quote has been a direct quote from every thread I’ve made. Very occasionally I’ll cobble a quote together if it makes sense. I want to get a little snippet of their personality while it still being a goofy as poo poo thing they actually said.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 20, 2019

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pony: Astrology Dan
Poison: Scheme Avoider Elizabeth

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If anyone wants a relatively gimmick free Survivor experience, the last season of Australian Survivor is probably your best bet! Mostly just the standard immunity idols, but not to the point where they find a way to give their favorite players an idol every time they use one.

Also, I would say a majority of the challenges were actually better than what US Survivor has been doing the last few years... Although the reward challenges in the premerge were basically made for the Champions to have the advantage on.

My Poison is Rob even though he's not playing the actual game or anything. Hope that's allowed.
I will put my Pony on Jason though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Binary Logic posted:

They probably had to pay them some good money, or maybe promise them some other poo poo as well. Especially since they are getting Rob and Amber out of the deal. (Hope that no longer counts as a spoiler, if it does, whatever)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

My Poison is Rob even though he's not playing the actual game or anything. Hope that's allowed.
I will put my Pony on Jason though.

“I’m pretty over Boston Rob.”

-me like 15 years ago

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pony: Dan
Poison: Dean

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

first impressions:

Dan seemed self-important and full of poo poo. "Just making the merge is winning to me," "To me making the final 3 would be winning," "Getting to the family visit would be a win." gently caress off!

Lauren has the over-the-top energy of a Disney sitcom character and is giving me potential Big Wendy but less crazy vibes.

Elaine might be pretty iconic

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Fast Luck posted:

Elaine might be pretty iconic

If everyone isn't all in on Elaine then they're doing it wrong.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That’s the point of casting this season. They made a point of getting people for their individual stories.

I might be able to go to Vince’s watch party on Wednesday. I’m not sure I want to go to an episode 1 watch party though. Maybe if he does future episodes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sad that 2 of the only 3 broadcast shows I care about are airing opposite one another, but I'm pretty sure I'll be watching Survivor live and Masked Singer on :filez: the next day

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

SweetJahasus posted:

If everyone isn't all in on Elaine then they're doing it wrong.

Me when I learned she stole her girlfriend from her ex-husband :eyepop:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Shneak posted:

Me when I learned she stole her girlfriend from her ex-husband :eyepop:

WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

That’s the point of casting this season. They made a point of getting people for their individual stories.

I might be able to go to Vince’s watch party on Wednesday. I’m not sure I want to go to an episode 1 watch party though. Maybe if he does future episodes.

well he might not get an episode 2, soooooooo