Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I wish, but I've already done my Japan trip for the year, and to be honest I don't have the money. A couple of people from work are over there though.

I kind of wish I was still living in Osaka, looks like there'll be some decent pool matches in Osaka and Kobe. I saw the Maori All Blacks play Japan in Kobe a few years ago and it was quite a nice stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I wish there were an option to turn the commentary off for this

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

The Rabbi T. White posted:

We're NZers. Whining is what we do.

Yeah, I hate to admit it but that's pretty true. And one of our favourite things to whine about is whiners, the irony of which is lost on a lot of people I find.

Anyway, Italy/Canada's about to start and England/USA later on. Kind of hope there's another upset tonight.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, it is a bit weird. I wonder if part of is that Chichibu at 27,000 capacity is way smaller than Tokyo (50,000) and Yokohama (72,000), but then again there's much smaller venues with RWC games in other parts of the country. I also wonder if they wanted to use Tokyo and Yokohama as much as they could as 'dry runs' of sorts to help prepare for the Olympics next year.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

slothrop posted:

arent the two games that were cancelled essentially dead rubbers anyway? The Scotland - Japan game is going ahead, this is the one that has the most on the line.

Technically no. For the Italy-NZ game, if Italy had a bonus point win (lol) and NZ didn't get a bonus point (also lol), then Italy would make the quarters at the cost of NZ. The winner of the England-France game would be first in their pool, but both teams have already qualified so who comes first and second isn't so important. That's just what was mathematically possible though, I don't think Italy would have had any real chance at beating the All Blacks.

sleep with the vicious posted:

I don't understand why they can't move the games to where they are playing Canada vs Namibia and Australia vs Georgia and play in front of an empty stadium.

That game is in Shizuoka, which is between Tokyo and Toyota (where the NZ-Italy game was supposed to be) and right in the path of the typhoon. The only reason the Aus-Georgia game is going ahead is because it's today before the typhoon will hit. I agree though, surely they could have organised alternative venues for this kind of thing.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

bessantj posted:

Yep, getting up at half six instead. Pity I really wanted to see if Namibia could get their first ever win.

On the bright side, it's the first game Namibia haven't lost!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I think he's in Australia at the moment

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

The badminton team's the best, they're called the Black Cocks.

Unfortunately they're not allowed to actually use that name.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

That's cool. I hope it's only for the finals though, it's really not necessary to sing the anthem before every game like in American sports.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Pail Ale posted:

Who's gonna play Eddie Jones?

Temuera Morrison. He's already played Eddie Jones once.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

stavros880 posted:

Maori tribe (is tribe the right word ?)

Yes, although these days you'd use 'iwi' which is the Maori word for tribe.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Around the early 90s when Buck Shelford took over the captaincy.

I think that was also around the time that the haka began being performed at every ABs game, not just some away games.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

The one solid argument I see is catching sneaky but dangerous or outright foul play.

I think that by itself is a good enough reason to have a TMO. Unfortunately, the problem then becomes how to implement it best to catch as much as possible without slowing the game down too much. Ice hockey (or at least the NHL) has a system where only certain types of plays/fouls are reviewable which is a decent start, but there's still plenty of controversies around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I noticed a lot of the English team had taken off their medals later on when the Springboks were getting theirs presented. That's fine, I have no problem with that and can understand how they feel, but at least most of them had the good grace to wait until after the cameras were off them. Reminds me a lot of the furore in the Olympic women's ice hockey final last year when that Canadian player took her silver medal off straight away. All the Canadians I know were cringing about that even though they could understand her frustration and anger.

You kind of hope that they'll look back with a bit of perspective now the emotions have cooled off. Runners up at a world cup (in any sport) is a pretty good achievement really. It's difficult enough to even make an international sports team let alone be contesting for world champions!