Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

SardonicTyrant posted:

I will say Date beats out Sigma, Carlos, and 999-era Junpei as a protagonist.

I can get behind this. I don’t know if his perviness is too much or so much that it circles around to be funny again. I think his ability to be tolerable is due to Aiba always keeping from getting too big a head. They are the best duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Also, holy poo poo are Mizuki's parents terrible people.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Azathoth256 posted:

Also, holy poo poo are Mizuki's parents terrible people.

This 1000%. Both are varying degrees of awful and it’s a good thing Mizuki ended up with Date, even if he is a manchild pervert.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think Date's perviness differs from Sigma's because it's more relatable. He's flirty and outgoing (especially with the receptionist with the big tits) whereas Sigma was trying to scratch the underwear off a poster.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

This 1000%. Both are varying degrees of awful and it’s a good thing Mizuki ended up with Date, even if he is a manchild pervert.

Yeah, I mean even if he's an idiot, he at least gives a poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think Date's perviness differs from Sigma's because it's more relatable. He's flirty and outgoing (especially with the receptionist with the big tits) whereas Sigma was trying to scratch the underwear off a poster.

I like how that poster is one of the things flashing through the screen in the Lemniscate Lobby :allears:

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Uh, not counting the ending where He runs off with the receptionist.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Azathoth256 posted:

Uh, not counting the ending where He runs off with the receptionist.

Thats one of the best endings though. I literally laughed out loud when I encountered it in game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh is it just me or does the taxi driver character look like a racist Japanese caricature?? If it was a western game I'd have been like holy poo poo that's insanely racist but it's a Japanese game so I don't know what to make of him.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

Thats one of the best endings though. I literally laughed out loud when I encountered it in game.

Oh yeah, it was hilarious. Reminded me of the cockroach ending in 428.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh is it just me or does the taxi driver character look like a racist Japanese caricature?? If it was a western game I'd have been like holy poo poo that's insanely racist but it's a Japanese game so I don't know what to make of him.
He's got an odd way of speaking, so I assumed it was some kind of regional thing. Or maybe he's korean or something.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

The running gags in this game are the best.

The best one by far has to be Kaniza and how Date keeps on “forgetting” his name. The poor guy :allears:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

jimmydalad posted:

The running gags in this game are the best.

The best one by far has to be Kaniza and how Date keeps on “forgetting” his name. The poor guy :allears:
I appreciate that you decided to run with it as well.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Also I just watched the end of the true ending. It is truly worth it.

EDIT: OMG there is a DANCE mode and it’s beautiful.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just got done with Mizuki's route. You're a good kid, kid. Keep it up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

jimmydalad posted:

why you gotta diss Kamoji like that

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

why you gotta diss Kamoji like that

Hey! Kadano is a cool guy. I’m not trying to diss him. He’s the best policeman in the game.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Just got done with Mizuki's route. You're a good kid, kid. Keep it up.

Mizuki is in fact, the best character in this game.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Azathoth256 posted:

Mizuki is in fact, the best character in this game.

I dunno, Aiba can give her a run for her money. Mizuki is very good.

Also Hitomi and Mayumi are like the only good parent figures in the game if you discount Date. The rest are like just awful.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Just shotgunned the whole thing over two days :toot: I really enjoyed it. Mizuki was probably my favourite character overall, but the whole cast was really strong.

I think I came down on the side of liking how Mama was handled. Obviously she wasn't perfect, but I got the sense they were just clumsy with the execution, rather than being malicious. And of course Pewter is a gay disaster who I loved.

eta: problem with playing a game non-stop over two days: the character names start to blur together :downs:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

mycelia posted:

Just shotgunned the whole thing over two days :toot: I really enjoyed it. Mizuki was probably my favourite character overall, but the whole cast was really strong.

I think I came down on the side of liking how Mama was handled. Obviously she wasn't perfect, but I got the sense they were just clumsy with the execution, rather than being malicious. And of course Pewter is a gay disaster who I loved.

eta: problem with playing a game non-stop over two days: the character names start to blur together :downs:

Wooo! Member of the shotgun club! I knew Pewter was gay pretty early on but I did not see the plot twist that came with Renju being bisexual (at least that was my reading with the whole watch thing).

Speaking as a gay person, I think I’m in a similar boat. Like some things fell flat on their face but sat least they tried. And Mama is hilarious and I can definitely imagine someone like her existing in real life with no difficulty.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Some characters are just funky lookin, like Mama or the Matsushitas

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

Wooo! Member of the shotgun club! I knew Pewter was gay pretty early on but I did not see the plot twist that came with Renju being bisexual (at least that was my reading with the whole watch thing).

Speaking as a gay person, I think I’m in a similar boat. Like some things fell flat on their face but sat least they tried. And Mama is hilarious and I can definitely imagine someone like her existing in real life with no difficulty.

(ending spoilers within) Yeah that's right or Renju could've been closeted and that was part of the reason for the divorce. In any case, its pretty sad that as lovely as Pewter is on the right side, he's only doing it because he's being manipulated by who he thinks is the man he loves. :smith:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah that's right or Renju could've been closeted and that was part of the reason for the divorce. In any case, its pretty sad that as lovely as Pewter is on the right side, he's only doing it because he's being manipulated by who he thinks is the man he loves. :smith:

I guess it’s too early to think about a Spoiler thread? I know it’s like Page 2 but this is an Uchikoshi game and there are like a billion things I want to talk about but I don’t think it’s fair for this thread to be an FBI document. I fullheartedly believe this game is best experienced blind and don’t want to ruin that for others.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
So you're saying that mama was right?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

There's a spoiler thread for people who want to talk about end game stuff. I'll probably actually move over there once I'm done.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh poo poo I'll migrate over there immediately

Here it is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899361

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Azathoth256 posted:

So you're saying that mama was right?

Mama is always right.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh hell yeah, I just ended up knee-deep in pseudoscience. Just let that poo poo wash all over me.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Oh hell yeah, I just ended up knee-deep in pseudoscience. Just let that poo poo wash all over me.

You know it’s an Uchikoshi game when pseudoscience comes into play. As soon as I realised there was a flowchart, I knew I was in good hands.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm both bemused and horrified at the number of Minecraft references.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm both bemused and horrified at the number of Minecraft references.

Say what you will about the game, but it's unquestionably in sync with today's youths, specifically their interests in minecraft, twitter sockpuppeting, and bashing people w/ metal pipes

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

The warehouse in Iris's Somnium is exactly the same as the Abandoned Factory on a different route

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh my god, Alice is back.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

OP, please change the title to SardonicTyrant freaks out over AI: The Somnium Files

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wooow, the right side of the map has way more twists than the left side.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I wish I could see more people react live as they play this game. It’s definitely an experience that warrants fun reactions and I’m definitely enjoying the ones in this thread.

I hope this game is successful so that more games like it are encouraged to come out. Nothing grips me like an Uchikoshi story and there’s something about them that keeps me gripped in my seat waiting for the next development. Dude’s insanely talented.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

jimmydalad posted:

I wish I could see more people react live as they play this game. It’s definitely an experience that warrants fun reactions and I’m definitely enjoying the ones in this thread.

I hope this game is successful so that more games like it are encouraged to come out. Nothing grips me like an Uchikoshi story and there’s something about them that keeps me gripped in my seat waiting for the next development. Dude’s insanely talented.

Pretty much all of this. My wife and I spent yesterday going through the game and got one of the soft endings Spent time in Shovelforge and destroyed Iris' core, so we ended up getting an early ending. Went back and believed everything she said and I'm really happy with how the branching path at the end is more a result of your decisions across the psync rather than a "press A or B" effect

Also we have no idea where the hidden collectibles are. The only one we've found is In Shovelforge, again, where you find it in the real life alleyway portion of it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

MOTHERFUCKER

(Translation: I finally broke the lock on the left route and am quite surprised)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Game just started crashing on me like 6 hours in. i gotta know whats going on!!!!