Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

vandalism posted:

I got it and played a while then refunded for a couple of reasons. The graphics are awesome and the game is smooth. My concern is that it feels pretty easy. I also got the full $80 edition and was like drat is this worth it right now?

You guys that got farther... is it really easy? Every enemy seemed to die fast. Steam reviews also said its easy.

The bit that makes it seem easy is most enemies have low poise so you can stun lock them. So things like bosses and the bigger enemies are a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Agreed. I think it's a lot less 'game is easy' and more like 'if you've played a Souls game before (likely), you know the score'. Like, you know you're not going to charge into that wide-open area because you know Souls games have pulled that poo poo before and there are a ton of enemies waiting to own your rear end. So you take it slow on the side paths and take out the dudes in waiting one-by-one.

Even the early game will punish you if you're careless. The big dudes can take away over half of your life in a single hit if you're rolling as a low-level Caster, so discretion is the name of the game.

I will admit that I had a flashback to Demon's Souls - as my first death was accidentally falling into a pit, much like how one of my first Demon's Souls deaths was accidentally falling into that pit near the beginning of Boletarian Palace 1.

This game leans hard into enemy ahead of you turned around while guy hiding on the side is waiting for you to take the bait.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
This game really is anime dark souls.

Area spoilers - After obligatory swamp that slows your movement I'm now in anime anor Londo

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Merilan posted:

whoever decided anor londo area needed to be this length, jeebus, it's not even difficult it just goes on and on and on and feels like padding

the flashback area is cool though

The first part was pretty easy but I sure got turned around in the second. I'm still not sure if I found everything but I did get the vestige.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Caidin posted:

Okay I've found the Source at the cathedral or whatever and I think I've totally lost the thread on the this plot. Okay so is Karen the Queen then? I thought that was the Cruz lady? And regardless now we have to go do a Simon's quest and find a bunch of queen bits? Did the government build the Anor Lando set for Aurora to nap in?

C'mon, it's simple they put the Queen's body parts inside people to contain them and Karen is one is those people. This is where the game hits maximum anime

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Vermain posted:

It feels like the game was balanced with the assumption that you'd be running with an AI partner 24/7. I've fought two bosses past the demo part so far, and they both had attacks that took off 9/10ths of my HP if I didn't dodge roll them perfectly. It's definitely hard solo, to the point of feeling unfair at times - there's some ridiculously fast single digit windup frames on some enemies.

I don't know how you beat this room without an AI partner. These enemies movesets and hp are the most overturned I've seen

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
I feel halberds are the best weapon type in the game, they have much better attack animations than 2h swords and hit almost as hard. I started using the obliterator axe once you pick it up and never put it down due to its A strength scaling.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Replays are pretty fast now that I found out you can skip the slow walking bits. Bless.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

https://youtu.be/hiKDm46wVwA

Jesus Christ.

NG+6 level 1 solo all bosses no damage. The cannoneer fight is at 24:40.

Where's the Boreal brutes?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Stickman posted:

I wish you were wrong but Surge 2, the other competent souls-alike that released at the same time as Code Vein, has ~10% the concurrent players of CV.

I'd be onboard for God Hand Eater, though!

Yeah, I think the aesthetic is the biggest thing Vein has going for it. I finished Code Vein and it didn't really end up scratching that Souls itch so I got Surge 2 and I'm enjoying it more in terms of gameplay even if the visuals aren't as striking.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Mehrunes posted:

This was pretty cool if a bit overpriced as a $40 game, but they have a long way to go if they want to make an actually good soulsborne game. Incredibly linear and uninspired level design is probably the #1 thing they need to work on but balance and enemy design is an ever present issue.

This game makes me want the Monster Hunter devs to try making a Soulsborne.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Remnant is more on an ARPG, with the best shooting I've played in that genre. It's a good time, easy to coop with your friends, and I really enjoy that all loot is unique.

Edit- if you want a souls experience you should get Surge 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Surge 2 is more souls-like than Code Vein. I like the map and combat system much more.