Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

So I'm trying to not even read most of the posts in this thread because I enjoy discovering the game mechanics without spoilers so much - but holy poo poo this game is so fun. I'm about 12 hours in and still don't understand most of what happens. Every single run is so interesting even though I know I'm barely scratching the surface as far as content goes. Never gotten past Hiisi Base so far.

Just today I was dealing with Vines for the first time, and then ran into some completely insane 24 spell Wand in the ice level with like 10 of them being Plasma Thrower. Quite expectedly killed me the first time I fired it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I have like 140 hours in so far and honestly, the only things that I would tweak are:

First level always spawns with at least, say, 3 wands. I've had a few times where it's been one or zero wands and it sucks.

Some kind of better feedback for what certain enemies are resistant to - I still have no idea what the big spider things from the left side of the Jungle are resistant to, or if they simply have such high HP that I can't seem to hurt them. Most other enemies are one time learning experiences so not knowing even after multiple engagements is annoying. Of course I can always look it up in a Wiki but that's boring.

Maybe a few very small UI tweaks and small balance changes.

And that's it honestly. Otherwise it's perfect :colbert:

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ice damage would have been my next guess, huh.. Maybe I just need to accept that hunting down absolutely every killable thing in the game will require bringing a whole cornucopia of different damage types and approaching it like a scientist.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

"Oh, a Kummitus in the Coal Mines? I guess all I have for DPS is Chain Bolt, but how bad can it be, I saw it firing Black Holes already"

Turns out it can be pretty bad! Some sort of rapid firing chaos larpa giant firebolt bullshit on top of the random black holes. gently caress.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

I think what happens is that the worms come in so fast that they do not have enough time to turn and go the other way. I notice it happens on levels where is a huge void above the holy mountain shop level where even if the worm wanted to turn, they can't.
Yeah this happens to me sometimes, most recently today. It's definitely annoying, but I only remember two times where it completely boned a run. Even today it happened right after the Mines, and I did die, but afterwards realised I had a Pheromone flask that I could have used to at least continue to the Coal Pits and maybe find a Steve-killing tool.

So far I've found that Circle of Transfiguration and any sort of plasma beam are the best Steve-killing weapons. They work with very lovely wands and extremely reliably.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I just got to explore the Tower up a few levels for the first time and holy what the loving hell is going on in that place, gently caress me.

Of course I had to try to pop a completely indecipherable looking glob of meat with 6 shields around it with Touch of Blood, which, well, turns out is a bad idea. RIP 3000dps wand and infinite healing.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Fuuuuuck. I got stuck in hell, under the lava lake, on a really long run. I had infinite Black Holes, which was how I got there, so I could always just drain the lava into hell, right?

Seemed to be working well, no more lava raining down as I hunkered down under a piece of rock. Teleport up carefully a few times, still no lava, so looked like I had made it!

Well a few repeated blinks up, I bump into a sea of lava hanging in mid-air. The chunk had been unloaded so the lava was not being simulated, and could not fall down until I came near. I die instantly. God loving damnit.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ardryn posted:

Yeah that's how the game handles everything that is physic particles and falls, you can actually see the smaller cells within the playable area if you look closely enough.
Yeah, I kind of theoretically knew that, but forgot the implications in my lust to get the wacky spells I bought to a Holy Mountain.

Speaking of which, it seems that my god-runs are always somehow also some of the most starved. I always end up finding my first chainsaws, lumi drills, and shields in parallel worlds, if at all.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Goddamnit I hate the RNG sometimes. I had a crazy insane setup overall, just missing any kind of Teleport. Spend two hours looking for it, in almost every Biome I could think of, finally died to a sudden suicide mushroom in Overgrown Caverns. Sucks too because looking around is slow as hell because well, you don't have a Teleport to speed it up.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I just got Alpha in the first chest I found in Mines. Then a Teleport Wand and a gently caress ton of money too. And then of course I got melee'd to death by hiisi ten seconds later. gently caress.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I just found a gold pouch so naturally had to try shifting something. Turned out to shift snow to lava, which was fine in Snowy Depths - just some areas of rock and lava and most of the snow in the walls didn't seem to count. But Hiisi Base was just beyond hosed, lol.

Almost no enemies as everything had died, and poo poo was just full of fire and molten steel. Turned out all of the Portal entrance areas were also full of molten steel that had dripped in from above. Ended up accidentally falling into one of those pits and insta-melted, but now that I think about it, I guess I could have tried to very slowly burrow straight to the Jungle?

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

gently caress poly mages. gently caress them

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

First 11 orb Kolmisilmä kill :toot: should have done it weeks ago, but my long runs kept getting cut short due to poly mishaps.

I guess still need to unlock a few late-game spells, and I think I have two bosses that I haven't killed. Then maybe 33 orb run?

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As Shibiwanko mentioned, the extra stuff you see people talking about is generally harder than the straight path. The one exception I'd make to that is that you can consider heading left from the Coal Pits to find the Fungal Caves. This is an exceptionally dangerous area, but you can find wands there that are much higher-level than you'd normally have access to at that point. They can really help kickstart a run. The trick is getting in, getting your loot, and getting out without dying.

Oh, one general-purpose tip: a trap that many new players fall into is thinking that they need to do as much as possible in each zone to maximize their power and increase their odds of surviving in the next zone. While more health, more money, better wands, etc. is of course always better, the real thing that will improve your odds of survival is practice in the later zones. So don't try to e.g. clear the Mines of every enemy and nugget of gold just because you can. That's very tedious gameplay, and it leads to complacency, which leads to mistakes. I haven't played in awhile, but I recall my goal in the Mines to be to get to 400 gold, which is enough for 1 reroll of the perks and a spell or wand from the shop. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
This is a good tip, you don't really need to clear each level before proceeding down. Though it's going to be hard to know what's a good power level to aim for in each area without experience.

In Mines I do try to find at least reliable digging before proceeding.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Been getting into this game recently. Are there particular tips for how best to play the first few "levels"? Should I be going horizontal and trying to scavenge as much as possible before hitting the next temple?
You should leave when your HP goes down too much or when you have all the tools you need from that level. Of course if you're new to the game it's hard to know when either happens. It also depends on play style a little bit.

Personally I do explore close to 100% of the first level, since I'm experienced enough to rarely take much damage there. But 400-600 gold and at least one non trash wand is enough.

Coal Pits and Fungal is trickier. I'd try to have around 1000 goal, some reliable digging, and some way to ramp up my DPS. Usually that means a trigger spell and/or something that decreases recharge time.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

How to build the best wand:

Add Mana, Chainsaw, Double cast, Spark bolt with trigger, Heavy spread.

After that add any payload you wish, or whatever you can fit. A single chainsaw or digging bolt is fine, but any projectiles in a multicast will work.

This basic pattern is so good I have to force myself to not do it and experiment with wackier stuff.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Heavy Spread also uses zero mana, so it's an extremely easy way to speed up wands in the first few zones.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

WITCHCRAFT posted:

And I still need to force myself to actually use potions/items beyond just water when I'm on fire or covered in toxic/poison/etc. What can you actually use those fire/electric stones for? What does chaotic teleportatium do that is different from the regular stuff? What should I hold onto besides water and ambrosia?
Both versions of teleportatium are good for solving a few specific puzzles, but they're also very handy early on for traveling back up to previous levels and escaping the Holy Mountain. The difference is that unstable tele is completely random, and the regular version teleports you to the direction you are aiming at.

There's a trick to getting a successful teleport into HM / previous levels. Teleport tries to keep you in the same biome in most situations. You need to levitate halfway back up the drop leading out of the Holy Mountain, and teleport at that exact moment, to try to force a tele into a previous zone

Polymorphine and chaotic polymorphine can also be used to escape HM. Polymorph yourself into something next to the right-side statue in HM, then levitate yourself out. Doesn't help with getting back to the HM to edit, but at least it's still uncollapsed if you find a teleport wand or something.

Edit: Pheronome is also crazy good, especially in Hiisi Base. Pee pheromone on a Healer for free full heal.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Watching some Noita streamers on Twitch, I'm convinced every run is possible to turn into an arbitrarily long run (not saying I can do it). It just requires a gently caress ton of practice and knowledge about the game, but also strategy in deciding what to explore and when, and when to use your heals.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

you do need some spells to show up or there really isn't anything you can do, namely one of lumi drills or black holes (or some other combination capable of eating through cursed rock)

depending on what spells you get you'll also need other items like ambrosia, teleports, or the like
The trick is that if you don't find the necessary ingredients in the main path, you can go to Overgrown Caverns, which just requires any digging at all to access. Overgrown is a huge area and full of items and wands, so the chances of not finding something to help you is pretty small.

For sure, Overgrown Caverns is dangerous as hell, and without Teleport or Tinker With Wands exploring it is a pain in the rear end and takes forever, but you can do it. You'll likely die to something unless you're crazy good at dodging, but it's not a case of the lack of spells / wands screwing you. Watching for example DunkOrSlam on Twitch, whenever he decides he goes for a long run, he gets a long run.

Funniest spell I've used to go to parallel worlds is Worm Launcher. You just need to remember to dodge the worm as it loops back around to bite you.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

those messages have been in for a long time and never got changed, even after all the various patches and updates

i still wonder if we'll ever find out if the eyes / cauldron had a purpose other than being weird.
One of the devs, hempuli, was in a streamer's chat some time ago and said that the devs had a deal that they can just add puzzles and easter eggs into the game without needing confirmation from the others. As a result hempuli was under the impression that the Eyes puzzle was "complete" and so solvable, but even he doesn't know for sure or what it's supposed to do.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hempuli posted:

I think we even nerfed their damage once, haha.
Oh huh, had no idea you posted here. Thanks for the video game.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Regarding Add Trigger/Timer unintended mana-saving behavior, it sucks that it's so unintuitive like a lot of other knowledge in the game, but I still like it. It has downsides, as in you need more slots and need to construct your wands a bit differently than you would with a basic Trigger -> Modifier -> Multicast -> Projectiles setup. Definitely powerful but you have to think a bit about how to use it.

In comparison, exploits like Pheromone Ghost trick are lame, they just mean infinite money whenever you find Pheromone.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hempuli posted:

I'm working on the game for a bit again to add a bit more content. Here's one that went on the beta branch earlier today; it makes spells orbit the caster.
Was watching some streamers do really pretty stuff with True Orbit. Neat!

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Posting a few gifs from the gif folder.

Had almost no DPS so this was basically my only chance of killing the guy.

Bunch of Add Manas, Meteor, and some Chainsaws.

Classic.

Yikes

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there a projectile modifier that sets the damage done by the projectile to zero? I bet you could pull all kinds of fun shenanigans with that.
Null Shot I believe. Currently on the beta branch (which you should use because there's lots of cool changes there)

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

edit: speaking of the beta, has anyone had any luck at all in the Meat Realm? That place loving sucks.
You can get through it, you just basically have to have a method for infinite heals. But yeah it's pretty buck wild.

Stumbled on a fun interaction recently in the Overgrown Caverns.

I had done one fungal shift. The shift was Lava to Worm blood. There must have been a Lava flask that I broke with my drill in the first gif, and some toxic sludge nearby. Worm blood + toxic sludge + fungus makes Void Liquid. Void Liquid + Fungus makes more Void Liquid. Bye bye Overgrown Caverns.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hempuli posted:

I managed to break Holy Mountain portals with these patches, and one of the two bosses is currently invincible. The HM portal bug was hotfixed but expect some more fixing tomorrow. I've been meaning to do all the stuff I did here since August but been preoccupied by getting a cat, procrastination, and working on other projects.
One of the two bosses being invincible should make this beta patch stream I'm watching right now pretty entertaining

edit: ^^ oh yeah sup that was me

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

sebmojo posted:

how popular/well-known is noita in finland?
I dunno, hard to say. Most of my nerd friends know about it or have played it, and a surprisingly few non-nerds are also familiar. But I would bet it's popular mostly among people my age that have nostalgia for the 90s Finnish shareware scene.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Gromit posted:

1200 hours in this game and I matched my best win streak yesterday. 2.
I had a personal best streak going last week at 9 wins, then came home fairly drunk and thought some late night video games would be fun. Oh well.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I have around 800 hours in this silly game and I finally yesterday decided I should try to get the Sun Quest done.

It's kinda fun, but I hosed it up right at the end. The Sun Egg phase started to bounce around wildly and it was a pain in the rear end to guide it somewhat near the moon. In the last phase I realised one of the stones had just disappeared from my inventory, and it didn't seem the Sun had eaten it as adding the three other stones did nothing. gently caress that, I think I'll stick to all-boss runs and win streaks.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Descending directly down is how you reach the endboss complete the tutorial, though, yes.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

???

This game has the cruelest, most player-hateful healing mechanic in the history of roguelikes and you have to kill one of two different bosses to even add the necessary spells to the loot table so that the RNG can have the possibility of loving you over rather than it just being utterly impossible.
Which bosses are you referring to?

I would say there is only one spell in the game that you need to unlock that significantly affects the difficulty of future runs: Fireball Orbit, that you get from killing the Dragon in the Jungle. It does good enough damage that it can carry you for the first few levels. But even then it's not like you're finding that spell that often.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Jossar posted:

Not going to be doing a lot of Noita-ing today, but this was a fun run. Really highlights the importance of taking things a little more slowly than I was previously going in the Mines to try and build up some Gold. Unfortunately the great enemy remains dying to random stuff: my primary wand was pretty cracked by Hiisi and I'd even managed to grab a perk that made me immune to blowing myself up with it. But random mobs causing a ton of damage still murked me faster than I could respond.
A few random survival tips if you want them:

Don't trade HP for gold. Like if a nugget of gold falls into toxic sludge, don't jump into it. Similarly don't drop down into unexplored areas to chase gold.

Generally try to explore areas in such a way that there's as few unexplored areas as possible where enemies can approach. Exploring from top to bottom can be handy when applicable, as enemies can quickly drop large distances, but rarely jump upwards long distances.

A lot of enemies also can't shoot directly up.

Keep enemies at the edges of your screen whenever possible, and plink at them from afar.

But I think the biggest thing for survival is just learning enemy attack patterns and movement, so you get better at dodging attacks with muscle memory.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 6, 2024

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Learning I could neutralize sludge and pre-wet myself to avoid taking damage from fire allowed me to pick up a lot of gold that I was previously having to leave alone. Putting my attack wand and my water in consistent slots and setting a convenient keybind for them also helped get me into the habit of using it much more dynamically, especially when trying to use it a weapon.
Yep, the toxic sludge + water -> water one is huge. I didnt mention it because it was such a huge "what the gently caress - OHH" moment for me when I figured it out myself, an embarassing amount of hours into the game.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

Does Berserkium affect the explosion radius of world props, or only your spells? Ending myself with a bersker-buffed bomb was a one time affair, but some of the world props are terrifyingly strong if I haven't lucked into explosive immunity (*glares at the red tanks in the vault*)
Just the explosion radius of the stuff cast by the thing affected by Berserkium.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

That's also why the official rules on all the sites that track speedruns or winstreaks allow disabling the ghost spawns (by removing a special folder that contains the data for the wands they would spawn with). People consider the ghosts a bit too RNG, but I keep them on since it's a lot of fun when you manage to kill one that was holding some bullshit wand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ariong posted:

Thank you.

More generally speaking, any tips for a new player? The main thing that’s bothering me currently is that it feels like my damage output is supposed to be way higher and there’s something I’m missing to get me there. For example on my most recent good run I made a wand with damage plus, bloodlust, and magic arrow. So that’s 53 damage per shot, pretty good fire rate (2 or 3 shots per second I think). But I got to Hiisii base and it just wasn’t good enough. Every enemy just soaked up so much damage and got so many shots off before I could kill them. I died from attrition.

It feels like once I have a decent wand, almost nothing new I find actually helps. Like, putting additional projectile spells onto the wand isn’t going to increase its damage unless that new projectile does more damage than the current one, in which case I would replace rather than add. Most projectile modifiers are cool but practically useless gimmicks. (Gunpowder trail? Charm on toxic damage?) In short very few of the different things I can find actually help me kill enemies faster, just differently. There’s always more powerful wands, but once I find one that’s down to like 0.05-0.10 on both cast delay and recharge time that’s about the best I can get, and it still seems not good enough.

Then there’s stuff like the boss in that lava area to the right of the first underground level, which seems so impossibly insurmountable that I feel I MUST be missing something. So, what is it? What am I missing?
Trigger or timer spells are the easiest way to up damage. With those, you can "package" a group of spells inside another.

For example with a wand like: Spark Bolt With Trigger + Double Spell + Spark Bolt + Spark Bolt. You fire off one Spark Bolt with Trigger that hits an enemy, and then those two other Spark Bolts are fired off from inside the enemy, usually also hitting it immediately.

This part can be a bit confusing if you're just starting up, but the package of two Spark Bolts also do not affect the cast delay of the actual Spark Bolt With Trigger, meaning your wand is not slowed down like it would if you had just Double Spell + Spark Bolt + Spark Bolt. That is why Triggers and Timers are the way to build really, really good wands.