Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Stravag posted:

I personally hate when i lose control of my character when i get shoulder charged or shotgunned and agree such things are bad design

Those are one hit kills, not my favorite but also not at all the same as losing control of my character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

sunday at work posted:

There is nothing good about losing control of your character. Its bad design in PvE and PvP.

And Bungie managed to make it even worse by adding a button mashing mechanic to it as well :haw:

I wonder if sometime down the line their solution is anti-Stasis mods or perhaps exotic armor that reduces the effects? So they can keep it in the game but you can equip mods or an exotic that reduces the time that you're frozen or makes it easier to escape? From a design perspective that seems the most logical solution so obviously Bungie's gonna move the tower into the DCV instead.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Double tapping B or O is button mashing?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I thought it turned out you were supposed to just hold the button rather than tap it?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Depends on class. Warlock and titan say to hold. Hunter says tap but it seems like the warlock and titan always free themselves faster than hunter

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Discospawn posted:

I thought it turned out you were supposed to just hold the button rather than tap it?

On hunters it says to press the button twice. Maybe on bad classes it says hold?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Discospawn posted:

It was dependent on your class ability trigger. Titans and warlocks could hold down circle while hunters had to double tap/mash it. Bungie decided to make them all equal in the eyes of the traveler

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ah, that's a weird implementation. I guess it's a result of whatever limitation prevents them from creating separate hotkeys for melee vs melee-ability.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Patch notes say they just changed it so it's double tap for all classes now.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
why is it O lol make it loving hold r1 or something

oh right its different for each class

e: oh really? hm

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I wrote a long effortpost about why stasis is bad game design in a multiplayer context then deleted it all because anyone who doesn't see an issue either doesn't understand design or is being deliberately obtuse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can count on one hand the number of times I got frozen in crucible and ended up unfreezing and walking away, it's just an overly long death animation/respawn timer

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I don't bother trying to unfreeze. The only way I get out alive is if the attacker somehow gets killed and I'm by myself in a corner. But more often than not the health drain gets me. Yay Hunters.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

If this was the fantasy action MMO Luke Smith wishes he was making and you had a HP pool and counter abilities a whole class based around removing control of PCs would still be bad, but at least you might have a chance to get out of a freeze.

In a ~ 1 second TTK FPS you're only getting out if the other guy gets killed before he can kill you.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
being frozen by a super is whatever, like 99% you'd die to a regular super anyway so yeah it's a longer death/respawn timer

the bigger thing is the grenades (and melee/special abilities like warlock rift, to a much lesser extent)- grenades generally can't kill on their own, so you gotta put more damage into them either before or after the grenade. this gives time to react and disengage or take cover (or even just kill you back).

stasis grenades lock you in place for easy follow up. and that's not even mentioning the insta-burst of glacier into hunter dive

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
stasis is perfectly balanced, anyway here’s a video of my clown rear end getting two kills in trials with a single frisbee plus a freezy dodge

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 15, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/pro-gun-control/gif/GlaringGoodEquestrian

Sniper Headshots - Just be aware of the lanes, no problemo

Shotgun apes - Obvi just gotta keep your distance

Arbalest user - inform the Hague and get in close

Stasis abilities that are incredibly easy to bait, dodge, or preempt - :qq: there's no counter play, it's impossible, such power has ruined destiny :qq:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The quest for the new exotic scout rifle kinda rules.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Stasis has destoryed PvP.

Has far too much utility for how much risk it gives the user. All the draw backs can be countered with the right fragments. There is a reason why stasis is just about all you see in PvP.

I agree shotguns and snipers need some more counter play as well tho.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
What if stasis is the counter play?

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

el B posted:

What if stasis is the counter play?

It seems to counter just about everything and makes the light subclasses redundant.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yee it's a good year to take off destiny tbh. Next year will be better when the 2nd darkness subclass is also broken good and adds a viable second choice to the sandbox

Wonder which 7 maps will be in rotation for year 5

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wonder what light subclasses will go into the vault when they streamline them to make them like stasis :smith:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I've not picked up on the new season yet. I just got a little burnt out after playing it drat near every night for a year, thanks to being vulnerable to covid during the lockdown. Am I missing much?

(Actually been playing my first CoD, Modern Warfare. Because it allows me to make ridiculous guns with a million unlocks, it's fun. But I play a little BFV, which is just horrible.)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Europa themed armor should have a mod/slot that makes you immune to stasis freezing. Or an exotic chest piece that does that intrinsic.

Last weeks Mayhem for the weekly challenge was just 12 people spamming silence and squall every 5 seconds. I know that's not a good example about how dumb freezing your dude AND applying massive debuffs even if you don't get frozen is, but it was just plain unfun in a game mode that is supposed to be stupid and fun.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

The basic mechanic of Stasis is just not fun in PvP.

Overpowered things can be adjusted, broken things can be patched, and dying is part of the game, but losing control of your character will never be fun.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Last night I learned that Showdown is even less fun than Trials (which is actually not as bad as everyone says anyway), so I switched to Control and met this absolute king:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Last night I learned that Showdown is even less fun than Trials (which is actually not as bad as everyone says anyway), so I switched to Control and met this absolute king:

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

sunday at work posted:

The basic mechanic of Stasis is just not fun in PvP.

Overpowered things can be adjusted, broken things can be patched, and dying is part of the game, but losing control of your character will never be fun.

I agree.

If they tune stasis to be PvP friendly its just going to be 100% worthless.

It just doesn't belong to PvP. But its used to drive sales so we're hosed and its not going anywhere until the next lovely gimmick comes along.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

CheeseFactory posted:

If they tune stasis to be PvP friendly its just going to be 100% worthless.

Make it take longer to slow/freeze players, keep effects on combatants the same.
OR
Make the slow less powerful against players.
OR
Make the freeze easier to break out of and take a bit less to get out of.

Since they've made the distinction between Combatants, Majors, Champions, Bosses, and Guardians as all different entities, you just change how it affects Guardians.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Literally just remove stasis from Crucible imho

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They spent so much time setting up how using stasis is dangerous, and all the other guardians are banned from using it, and you're only allowed because you're the guy and you're going to use it for good and only where it serves the city.

And then you go into crucible and people are using it to punk each other and standing over their corpses and actively taunting them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They spent so much time setting up how using stasis is dangerous, and all the other guardians are banned from using it, and you're only allowed because you're the guy and you're going to use it for good and only where it serves the city.

And then you go into crucible and people are using it to punk each other and standing over their corpses and actively taunting them.

I think canonically the Stranger goes on to teach other Guardians, starting with Ana.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doesn't Zavala say after you finish the BL questline that you're only allowed to do it because it's an emergency and that everyone else is banned?

There's definitely lore groundwork for a crucible ban.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I dismantled my MW erentil fr4 accidentally ;(

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Man the new exotic scout feels real good to shoot

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

ex post facho posted:

I dismantled my MW erentil fr4 accidentally ;(

I think everyone has done something like this :( I assume it can't be retrieved from collections?

That's it. I'm going to finally go through and stick lock my stuff to protect me from myself.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Doesn't Zavala say after you finish the BL questline that you're only allowed to do it because it's an emergency and that everyone else is banned?

There's definitely lore groundwork for a crucible ban.

there's lore where Shaxx oversees a match full of people stasis and is like, "Yesss.... good!"

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Mazerunner posted:

there's lore where Shaxx oversees a match full of people stasis and is like, "Yesss.... good!"

It’s the lore for the Cinder Pinion armor set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
https://twitter.com/HaruTheWiseNeko/status/1361800741443104768?s=20