Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

univbee posted:

They aren't PC games. Stadia games have to be specifically independently built and compiled for the platform. In that sense yes it is a console.

Geforce Now DOES run native PC versions, however.

Here's Ubisoft's Yves specifically talking about building Stadia-specific versions: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-21-porting-ubisoft-games-to-google-stadia-is-now-part-of-the-publishers-pipelines

Thanks that clarifies things a bit for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
To me it seems the the fatal flaw is the separate ecosystem. I can't see multiplayer focused games taking off on the Stadia, both because communities will be pathetic, and you won't be able to play with friends unless they also have Stadia, which I can't see spreading very far.

That would make it fine as a service focused on single player experiences... except what does it have to offer? Sure, it runs on a poo poo box... but only if you have super internet (by American standards). The target market appears to be contradiction: someone who cannot afford a good gaming PC or console, but has fantastic high-speed internet service. Who does this describe?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

The target market appears to be contradiction: someone who cannot afford a good gaming PC or console, but has fantastic high-speed internet service. Who does this describe?

Me, but probably not many others. At least in Canada if you’re in a city of at least a few thousand you have to go out of your way to get internet below 50mbps and that isn’t unlimited, and I think the same holds true in Europe. I know the US is more of a shitshow.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

univbee posted:

Me, but probably not many others. At least in Canada if you’re in a city of at least a few thousand you have to go out of your way to get internet below 50mbps and that isn’t unlimited, and I think the same holds true in Europe. I know the US is more of a shitshow.

You know it's never going to be not funny when some half baked tech bro product eats poo poo because it requires the kind of public expenditure and investment that they are philosophically opposed to.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

That would make it fine as a service focused on single player experiences... except what does it have to offer? Sure, it runs on a poo poo box... but only if you have super internet (by American standards). The target market appears to be contradiction: someone who cannot afford a good gaming PC or console, but has fantastic high-speed internet service. Who does this describe?

I think this is actually a really good point.

The only people (other than univbee) who this describes are people who are exclusively serious gamers who are console-only, but want to try PC gaming for the games it has exclusive to it. But in that case why is Stadia not just PC-equivalent? It doesn’t have access to any and all PC games, only specific Stadia-only ones. It’s mystifying.

I can imagine the value (limited as it may be) to a streaming PC gaming platform that would enable people with good internet but no Gaming PeeCee to play high end PC-only games. Except Stadia doesn’t enable that. It’s a really mysterious platform that seems to solve zero problems exert ones of its own creation.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Stadia would be an amazing idea if - if - it was a remote PC that let you play any Steam game you owned at high specs via a Steamlink-type interface. Literally the only thing I use my desktop for nowadays is playing the occasional game when I feel motivated; otherwise I just stick to my laptop or use my PS4.

Y'know, if it was essentially a desktop you could rent, and VPN into in order to do things like adjust mods and stuff without having to worry about updating specs and having a place in your house to keep a desktop computer.

Stadia's absolutely not this. It's a half-assed idea built on a dream that sounds amazing to the marketing team that gets to approve new Google projects, that's been repeatedly proven to get feedback that ranges from "awful and unplayable" to "yeah, it's alright I guess" on every other system that's been created to handle streaming gaming. Maybe in 2 or 3 years if Google really wants to keep it running, it might transform into something half-worth a drat, but lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I should probably talk about GeForce Now since that may better fit the needs of people in this thread and elsewhere.

The product has been in closed beta for a while, but getting in is simple, you just sign up and I think invites are very fast.

It's free at least within its beta period.

It has a "library" of a few hundred native PC games which are on Steam, Epic, Bethesda and uPlay, and I think possibly the odd side thing too, as well as F2P titles like Fortnite. The non-F2P you have to "own" yourself, however.

Effectively you remote into a special cloud PC that asks for sign-in deets for the relevant platform, and you'll probably get emails talking about suspicious logins afterwards. These virtual machines basically just have the game launcher and the game itself installed, so you just launch them as you normally would. The games have an automatic "best settings for GeForce Now" config applied to them, which will usually be the equivalent of 1080p60 with extremely high settings (the VM has 32 gigs of VRAM) but may be adjusted in various ways depending on the game. You can override these to a certain degree, but some VMs are configured to lock some things down.

With some titles, like Fortnite, you can choose between running at 1080p60 or 720p120. There is currently no way to run in resolutions above 1080p (supersampling is doable but the final signal is still 1080p) but I think that could be an out-of-beta plan.

For TV playback you can pick up an Nividia Shield, although bear in mind that if you're only going to have a controller, logging in (and entering 2FA codes) each time you want to play something is a bit of a pain, although there is a steam-like keyboard input function for controllers.

Now this platform doesn't have "every" title (I'm not sure what happens if you try to download something else within Steam and then launch it), like it doesn't have GTA5 or Yakuza Kiwami 2 for example, and it doesn't have anything from Origin or Battle.net. Some titles it "double dips", like it has a launcher for rear end Creed Odyssey on uPlay and a launcher for rear end Creed Odyssey on Steam (since uPlay distinguishes Steam versions of games from its other versions), and some titles you have to specifically own on Steam (e.g. you can't use any titles you own on GOG through this service).

Given that the service is 100% free currently, so long as you own the games, it's probably a good testing platform if you want to see how heavily you would be impacted by lag.

In my case when I play with a controller it largely feels natural. When I play with kb+m there can be a slight feeling of "sluggishness", like I can tell the mouse wouldn't be behaving 100% identically if I were running the software locally. I think I'm a ways away from an Nvidia server, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
This is every previous attempt at games streaming services, but somehow worse in every way.

Special Stadia versions of the games? Are you kidding me, when Playstation Now and Geforce Now currently exist?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The lack of push makes me think Google just one day realized that they're already dicking around with giant remote supercomputer farms, content licensing and user-end hardware and just flashed on the fact that they can do this without stretching themselves much.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The lack of push makes me think Google just one day realized that they're already dicking around with giant remote supercomputer farms, content licensing and user-end hardware and just flashed on the fact that they can do this without stretching themselves much.

It's interesting since I know for a long time, your typical server hosting (e.g. for seedboxes and poo poo like that) typically had gently caress-all CPU power and you could trivially cause problems and get a complaint from the VPS provider if you pegged your CPU at all, not to mention that it's super-easy to get a massive bill from Amazon and even Google for minutes or even seconds of processing power if you set things up wrong and draw tons of power on it, so them selling a service which purports to let you run some obscenely powerful stuff for as long as you want consequence-free for $12 a month is an interesting change.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's not being pushed because it's an idiotic whim spitballed by baby-faced billionaires who have infinite ability to realize any lovely idea they come up with and experience zero consequences when it fails

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

it's not being pushed because it's an idiotic whim spitballed by baby-faced billionaires who have infinite ability to realize any lovely idea they come up with and experience zero consequences when it fails

So far all of the big console makers have had at least console like this, about time someone new entered the ring and made a failure their first launch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I figure the head honchos just live in some sort of Mountain View Gigabit Internet RDF. Just like years back, when they were pushing cloud storage hard, even tho people had like 2GB of data volume at best on their mobile phones.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I figure the head honchos just live in some sort of Mountain View Gigabit Internet RDF. Just like years back, when they were pushing cloud storage hard, even tho people had like 2GB of data volume at best on their mobile phones.

Stadia has issues even in specifically setup demo events.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

It's weird they're going for the expensive difficult 4K option first. You think "Hey, decent quality gaming on anything that can run Chrome with no monthly fees" would be an easier sell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just like years back, when they were pushing cloud storage hard, even tho people had like 2GB of data volume at best on their mobile phones.

You mean “2019 in Canada”?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And here I was thinking my pseudo-unlimited 20GB for 45€ was bad.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

limaCAT posted:

I too am looking forward to check it out for free when it's loving available on PC without spending a billion dollars for buying just one joypad.

But it's not "fortune telling horseshit" to point out what actually happened to Google Plus, Picasa, Google Reader and the other billion products Google abandoned during the years.

https://killedbygoogle.com

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It is weird Stadia isn't launching with a flagship exclusive game in the horizon. At the beginning of this console generation both Xbox and PS4 looked fine, but one had Bloodborne. If there's no FOMO I feel like they're gonna lose a lot of momentum

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
To me the weird thing is that there's no Gamepass-esque subscription library of games to blow people away with a bunch of games you can just flit around and play.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Whalley posted:

Stadia would be an amazing idea if - if - it was a remote PC that let you play any Steam game you owned at high specs via a Steamlink-type interface. Literally the only thing I use my desktop for nowadays is playing the occasional game when I feel motivated; otherwise I just stick to my laptop or use my PS4.

Y'know, if it was essentially a desktop you could rent, and VPN into in order to do things like adjust mods and stuff without having to worry about updating specs and having a place in your house to keep a desktop computer.

Stadia's absolutely not this. It's a half-assed idea built on a dream that sounds amazing to the marketing team that gets to approve new Google projects, that's been repeatedly proven to get feedback that ranges from "awful and unplayable" to "yeah, it's alright I guess" on every other system that's been created to handle streaming gaming. Maybe in 2 or 3 years if Google really wants to keep it running, it might transform into something half-worth a drat, but lmao

I completely understand what you mean but Stadia can't work like that because it is not a just a stream solution over a PC as it's for the current Steam or NVidia technologies, or it used to be the case for Onlive and Gaikai (or a Console like the case of PSNow). It's a full stack cloud computing solution which hosts games under a containerized linux and adds to the mix a dedicated graphics card (note: some cloud solutions already add GPUs but for applications like AI / Machine Learning).

It's actually interesting technology wise because of that.

Also Google would see a serious backlash from other game publishers and GAMERS, you know, the two different crowds towards which it's marketing Stadia, if it attempted a takeover of Steam just to let anyone stream the games remotely. Also the fact that you can sell a license of a game that you can install on a PC doesn't give you right to broadcast it on the internet from your servers, so Google would have to buy license to Stadify every single game.

Mp3.com and Amazon had legal troubles when they gave away for free MP3s copies of each CD they sold, only that Amazon settled out of court and never did it again, MP3.com instead was just shut down and its head staked over a pole by the MPAA while everyone scrambled to just commit piracy by using this brand new application called Napster.

It's better for Google to just sell devkits and cloud time to developers so that they can publish new games instead of giving old games to FREELOADER GAMERS WHO HAVE THE GALL OF WANTING TO PLAY THAT GAME THEY BOUGHT AT 2$ ON STEAM DURING THE SALE OF THE 20th APRIL 1969.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

univbee posted:

I should probably talk about GeForce Now since that may better fit the needs of people in this thread and elsewhere.

The product has been in closed beta for a while, but getting in is simple, you just sign up and I think invites are very fast.

It's free at least within its beta period.

It has a "library" of a few hundred native PC games which are on Steam, Epic, Bethesda and uPlay, and I think possibly the odd side thing too, as well as F2P titles like Fortnite. The non-F2P you have to "own" yourself, however.
Now this platform doesn't have "every" title (I'm not sure what happens if you try to download something else within Steam and then launch it), like it doesn't have GTA5 or Yakuza Kiwami 2 for example, and it doesn't have anything from Origin or Battle.net. Some titles it "double dips", like it has a launcher for rear end Creed Odyssey on uPlay and a launcher for rear end Creed Odyssey on Steam (since uPlay distinguishes Steam versions of games from its other versions), and some titles you have to specifically own on Steam (e.g. you can't use any titles you own on GOG through this service).
For a while they let you YOLO it and run literally anything available on any supported streaming service even if the game wasn't officially supported. When I tried this with Crysis it played perfectly BUT it was impossible to save my game between GeForce Now sessions.

GeForce Now consumes about 3 megabytes of data per second. I have 370 megabit up/down and have exclusively used it on my laptop directly connected to my router. My latency is about 15 ms. I've encountered a few server problems but so far it has exceeded my expectations. Also it works on Mac.

You can take advantage of Steam sales, Humble Bundle, uPlay+, etc to get cheap games, which is probably the biggest obstacle to Google Stadia.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well Sony at least seems to be feeling the heat, as they're lowering their PS Now pricing across the board.

US: $9.99 – monthly / $24.99 – quarterly / $59.99 – yearly (from $19.99/ $44.99/ $99.99)
CAN: $12.99 – monthly / $34.99 – quarterly / $79.99 – yearly (from $19.99/ $44.99/ $99.99)
EU: €9.99 – monthly / €24.99 – quarterly / €59.99 – yearly (from €14.99/ (N/A)/ €99.99)
UK: £8.99 – monthly / £22.99 – quarterly / £49.99 – yearly (from £12.99 / (N/A) / £84.99)
JP: ¥1,180 – monthly / ¥2,980 – quarterly / ¥6,980 yearly (from ¥2,500 / ¥5,900/ (N/A))

They're also going to start offering some higher-end titles on a temporary basis. I'm not sure how this will square up with stuff "sticking" to your library so you can't permanently buy it, though.

In any case, first wave of titles that will be available until January 2nd, 2020.

God of War
Grand Theft Auto V
inFAMOUS Second Son
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Note that the online mode and Social club stuff for GTAV will only be accessible if you download the game, and will not be available when streaming.

PSNow is an interesting service, since it's silently the most successful Netflix-like game subscription service, has more than half of all revenue in that category, and has been a non-beta, sold commercially game streaming service since 2014. They're very much veterans/old guard with a pretty good handle on making this service functional and accessible.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

univbee posted:

PSNow is an interesting service, since it's silently the most successful Netflix-like game subscription service, has more than half of all revenue in that category, and has been a non-beta, sold commercially game streaming service since 2014. They're very much veterans/old guard with a pretty good handle on making this service functional and accessible.
PS Now is great and I'm surprised it isn't discussed more in PC gaming circles. I was able to play The Last of Us on a PC! I could go subscribe and immediately start playing Bloodbourne or many other PS games. It only streams at 720p though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's not very good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

Didnt the chart this information was based on turn out to be based on nothing. Like it showed several million subscribers and then a few months later Sony shared actual numbers at around 700k?

Either way this all reads as moves to counter gamepass more than Stadia

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

PS Now is great and I'm surprised it isn't discussed more in PC gaming circles. I was able to play The Last of Us on a PC! I could go subscribe and immediately start playing Bloodbourne or many other PS games. It only streams at 720p though.
Agreed, PS Now rules. It's one of the only ways I can imagine a streaming service working, and while the latency sucks (usually) on anything that relies on quick timing, you can get used to it for poo poo like the Souls games and queue up actions a little further in advance, or you can just play things that don't require twitchy timing like RPGs, puzzle games, and so on. Plus, if you've got a PS4, you can install pretty much all of the PS2 and PS4 games on the service as far as I can tell, ending any issues with latency.

PS Now owns in a way that Stadia never will, because it doesn't need separate developers and it's got dedicated platforms and a huge-rear end library already.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't mind playing poo poo at 720 on smaller screens, but I also cannot abide the idea of controller lag. I'm not even sure if the HDMI passthrough on the xbone actually adds perceptible lag but I still switched off of it while playing genesis mini just because it might and maybe that's why I got busted 3 times in a row on the Road Rash 2 Hawaii level.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Croteam CTO joins google for stadia:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-04-croteam-co-founder-leaves-for-google-stadia

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I preordered Stadia, mostly out of curiosity. Like lots of people I figure worst case scenario is I paid a bit too much for a decent controller and a Chromecast.

I think I'm probably kinda the ideal target audience: I wanna play new games at max quality but don't wanna spend the $$$ to upgrade my mid-range PC, and I live in a city with fibre. If it works then I think it will be really cool.

univbee posted:

This sounds really cool too, I wanna try it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be a Stadia launch title. It's also coming to PC, but where's the power of the cloud in that?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The power of the cloud is having the mind to not be a dumbass and buying this trash tech experiment

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

univbee posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be a Stadia launch title. It's also coming to PC, but where's the power of the cloud in that?

oh hell yeah. I hope they can take advantage of the power and really go all out with the graphics. RDR2 on PS4 was already the best-looking game I've ever played.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Glenn Quebec posted:

The power of the cloud is having the mind to not be a dumbass and buying this trash tech experiment

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fuf posted:

oh hell yeah. I hope they can take advantage of the power and really go all out with the graphics. RDR2 on PS4 was already the best-looking game I've ever played.

Will be interesting to see, RDR2 is already 4K30 on the Xbox One X, on Stadia it should hit 60fps but might have some other prettiness. Then again, because of the grass and foliage that could complicate things, because that kind of stuff doesn't compress well and could cause problems for a video feed even in a best-case scenario.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GeForce NOW trip report

Played some Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Destiny 2 on the weekend via GeForce NOW, the latter having been all sorted now that it's on Steam.

Worked quite well for the most part on my wired-in Nvidia Shield, no appreciable lag noticed on my inputs, however every few minutes I'd have a moment where the framerate would tank to consistent single digits, a bit like if you run a game on a spinning hard drive and it's struggling to keep up. Possibly connection stability-related? Destiny 2 might be playable with the F2P client, it's not 100% clear but there isn't really any reason that wouldn't work.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Despite your reserved optimism, it still sounds like bullshit junk. You know why it does and you know why this thing doesn't work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, already the fact that this is coming out next month but we don't have a firm release date raises some questions, especially when you consider that the PS4 had a firm release date early in 2013 and you could even pre-order games for it on PSN quite early (I got a bunch of launch games for $40 in like August because of a deal when the console wasn't out until November).

We also don't have much in terms of hands-on footage or impressions. Some, but again all from Google's controlled environments and even those had issues. I want raw footage of a 4K60 feed and latency tests. I want SonicFox to have to play MK11 on it and give his impressions.

Stadia is going to have issues simply due to not being present on EBGames/Gamestop/Best Buy store shelves, and GeForce NOW could any day say "gently caress you Google, we're doing 4K gaming with the Steam games you already own, get hosed with your unique platform" and that would kill them even harder.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's also Google. It'll be in the tech cemetery in two years.

They do this with experimental tech to get the public to partially fund R&D poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's also Google. It'll be in the tech cemetery in two years.

They do this with experimental tech to get the public to partially fund R&D poo poo.

Don't worry, here is what is written in the stars:

1. Stadia is dead.
2. Univbee has a preorder.
3. Univbee will get stadia versions of games he already has on other platforms.