Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I'm in for 13 new movies again this month (and definitely quite a few rewatches).

1. K-12

This is a weird musical which caught my eye for the bright costumes/color, which were phenomenal. Some of the songs leaned a bit hard on the 'making a statement' angle, but it was a very unique ride throughout. The story/pacing side was a bit weak (it was filled with plotholes and sudden unexplained developments) but it was interesting enough on the musical and visual side that I'd likely rewatch it.
:spooky: : 3.5/5

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

#2: Gozu - Ok this one was really weird. Reminded me of something like Lost Highway a bit, except with that it felt like there were only a few pieces missing that would make everything make sense. Gozu is on another level of strange. First half had a lot of awkward interactions, with people acting just a bit off and it's not apparent whether they're just weird small town folk or something deeper is going on, then it gets weirder and apparent that the townspeople are indeed weird (but without any real hostile motive). Partway through it drops the hint that some of the townspeople may be ghosts, suggesting that the restaurant might be some sort of ghost hub, but the movie doesn't really continue with that thread, it just goes in a different weirder direction, and ramps up ending in the weirdest sex scene I've ever seen. It's really strange. I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through, and I guess I'd recommend it, but definitely not something I'd toss on at a movie night.

:spooky: : 3.5??/5 (though it's too weird to really rate on any normal scale really)

Lhet fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 2, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

#3: The Wailing -This was really good. It's pretty long at 2:36, but never really felt like that, as new layers kept on being added (I could see the middle being a bit slow on rewatch though). The ending third was amazing, I loved how the two forces interacted. They'd would never directly physically engage (aside from the hand grabbing), called the other side liars, and the movie left it ambiguous as to which side was which.. Great ambience, great storyline, great acting, had a few fun moments (though absolutely not a fun movie overall), definitely worth checking out.
:spooky: 4 / 5

1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing

Lhet fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 3, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

4: Phantom of the Paradise - This was pretty fun, definitely the sort of movie that punches above its weight class. Comically brutal setup for the Phantom at the beginning, and things just kept escalating. It was pretty over the top near the end, and it was interesting how setting up the fake concert deaths made the crowd not notice the real ones, which lead to an few very memorable scenes where the crowd keeps cheering and dancing throughout the deaths. Loved the synth room and general environment of the paradise. The songs were solid enough, but none were really the catchy or super memorable sort you'd expect from this sort of movie.
:spooky: 3/5
1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

5. Viy - Challenge #1 - Pretty cool. The story/characters were strong enough to provide full immersion in the world, though the effects were definitely the highlight here (particularly the last 30 minutes or so). Worth watching for the creative older effects and great sets.
:spooky: 3.5/5

6. One Cut of the Dead - Going into it blind is definitely the way to go, I absolutely loved it. First I thought it was interesting and impressive as a one cut movie, looked for many possible cuts (there are a couple spots where it could have happened?). thought it was pretty good for what it was, though a bit short, and not quite sure where the enthusiasm about it was coming from...then it continued, and is now definitely one of my favorites. Such a unique concept, and the second layer perfectly explaining all those awkward and weird moments made it so satisfying. Am very excited to show this to more people.
:spooky: 5/5

7. The Happiness of the Katakuris - Weird movie about a family that's been through some harder times trying to make it as a bed and breakfast type place in the mountains. However, the guests keep on dying (through no fault of family really) and they keep cleaning up and burying them since that sort of bad publicity would ruin their inn's chances. Throughout all of this they keep a positive attitude, happily singing and dancing. whenever effects are needed, it switches into claymation, which is really weird. Overall it's pretty fun, but very weird...

Rewatch: Event Horizon - Really great acting, effects, and general production values, it was particularly fun seeing Laurence Fishburne as the captain after having just rewatched the Matrix a few days ago. I liked how a lot of the flashaways/visions were used to ramp up tension instead of being used as jumpscares. Loved so many of the sets - particularly the meat grinder hallway and gravity drive, which still hold up really well. It really is a pretty fun movie.

Goals - 7/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise5:Viy 6:One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris
Rewatches - Event Horizon

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

8: Little Monsters (1989) - Watched this with friends at a bad/old movie night, I guess it counts for this. It's kinda bad. Basically a kid suspects monsters under his bed so engineers a massive bed-trap to trap the monster. (There's a fair bit of engineering in this movie that would require a lot more than the tools and materials shown). Turns out the monster kinda just wants a friend and invites him through the bed into the monster world (almost a bit like the Monsters Inc world except no motive for the monsters) and takes him pranking, which is also an escape from his parent's marital issues. The monster world set was kinda cool, but otherwise it's just very much a mediocre 80s family movie that doesn't really have anything interesting going on to redeem it.
:spooky: - 2/5

9: Shadow of the Vampire - This was a good one with an exceptionally strong cast (John Malkovich, Willem Dafoe, Cary Elwes, Udo Kier). John Malkovich is director filming a Dracula clone, and the vampire they choose always stays in character because he's actually just a vampire. One thing I love is that it fully independently establishes the concept of the vampire, without any gimmicky strengths or weaknesses. Also loved how long it's kept ambiguous whether the vampire is real, and the reveal (withstanding choking and powerfully sitting up) is such a small reveal yet so powerful. Great performances all around, tons excellent scenes, great dialog, great soundtrack. There were maybe a few small pacing issues just a bit before the climax, but it's a very strong movie.
:spooky: - 4/5
Goals - 7/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise5:Viy 6:One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8:Little Monsters 9:Shadow of the Vampire

Lhet fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 16, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

10: Bone Tomahawk - Challenge #2 for Sid Haig - It was on Prime and was decently well rated, so decided to check it out. It's just kinda a gritty western about some extra savage cave-dwelling natives. Didn't really feel this one. Good production values and well done, but it there just wasn't anything to make it particularly interesting or memorable - no moral ambiguity, no particularly interesting fights, nothing weird.
Overall I can't really say anything bad about it, but it's not interesting enough to recommend.
:spooky: 2.5/5
Goals - 7/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise5:Viy 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

11: Ichi the Killer - Have been aware of this movie for a while but kinda kept skipping it due to it's reputation. However, I've already seen two other Miike films this month and kinda feel Miike's pace now, so finally went for it (it really isn't that bad compared to modern movies that have kept ramping the gore/violence up and up, but it definitely has a sort of edge to it). There's really a lot going on, yazuka action scenes with a lot of funk, random animeish power reveals, lots of abuse/rape themes. It's super weird, over the top violent and gory, and has super hosed up characters; but somehow that's never the point, it's like a normal yakuza crime drama is being played out except with a few absurdly over-the-top characters in play that completely warp the story around them. It's funky and often fun (and sometimes horrible), and extremely unique the whole time. There's probably an order you should watch Miike movies in, and I don't think this should be the first, but it's definitely something interesting.

Also rewatched In the Mouth of Madness - This movie owns. I love all the special mechanics going on, (e.g. small looping dimensions, power scaling with consumers). There are a ton of memorable scenes, fun performances, great dialog, great setting, and a unique theme. Definitely expect to rewatch this many more times.
:spooky: 4/5
Goals - 11/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise5:Viy 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk 11:Ichi the Killer
Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness

Lhet fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 18, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I hit my goal (13) but will still keep going.

12: The Witch - This was good. I liked that throughout the movie, as the family is being torn apart, it remains ambiguous what forces are at play, and it would still be a complete movie without any supernatural scenes. Overall good stuff, and I liked that it really fits the witch legends/records - a string of unfortunate/unexplained events leading a people to turn on eachother and lash out towards any scapegoat they can by declaring them a witch. .

13: Hereditary - There's a lot in common between this and The Witch. The first 2/3rds or so were strong, and the movie stood on its own without anything supernatural at play. However, unlike the witch, the last third of the movie goes a hard turn into supernatural/possession/summoning side of things. It's definitely a strong movie, but the ending felt a bit rushed, and the first half was mostly detached from the second half - it could have taken 10 different turns and still worked and the whole thing suffered a bit from all the mysteries being a bit overexplained.

Also rewatched The Cell. It's a somewhat mediocre movie whenever its in the real world, but the dream sequences are beautiful and absolutely carry the movie.
:spooky: dream scenes 4.5/5, the rest of the movie 2.5/5
Goals - 13/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise5:Viy 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk 11:Ichi the Killer 12:The Witch 13:
Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, The Cell

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 23, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

STAC Goat posted:

I really want to rewatch the second half of Hereditary because it was so bugshit insane and I was so completely emotionally and mentally exhausted by that point that I'm not sure I really processed all of it. But I don't think I ever want to put myself through the anguish of the first half of the film again.

I kinda feel like the second half, though pretty wild, has just been done better by other movies - it's the first half putting you in that exhausted state that makes things extra shocking.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

14: Tammy and the T-Rex Challenge #4 - (Ancient because....dinosaur) - Looked fun and T-rex certainly seemed to fit the ancient prompt for the 23rd. This movie was definitely bad, but so enthusiastic about everything that it's still pretty fun. A lot of the jokes fall completely flat (e.g. the random Wizard of Oz waking up reference), but they're so sincerely executed that you kinda give them an A for effort anyways (aside from a couple homophobic jokes that...haven't aged well). The T-Rex was excellent, definitely a league above what this movie should have, but I guess access to it is what made this movie even happen in the first place. Also kinda loved the claws, they always came in from offscreen and were impossibly long.

:spooky: like 2/5, but a fun 2/5

Goals - 13/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4)

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just saw the original cut, which is on youtube.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

15: The Purge: Anarchy Challenge 6 - I never seen any Purge movies, and heard this was the best of the bunch, so decided to go with it for the challenge. And turns out it's pretty decent. For some reason, a lot of the movie really felt like a 3rd person action videogame, just with all the urban combat situations and discrete groups of enemies and allies. I did like the variety of purgers - one a government run force of nature, biker gangs, crazy single individuals, wild masked hunters, or just one guy pulling out a six pack and sniping. The main crew did seem to have rather durable plot-armor, but the realism wasn't there for that really to matter. Kinda a bit of a message/symbolism in the setting, but it's never in-your-face or political about it. It's by no means a good movie but it's a very watchable scramble through hostile territory, definitely a solid pick for a more action-y October movie.
Goals - 13/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6)

Lhet fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 25, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

16: Boa vs Python Challenge 7: Monster Mash - For the challenge I just searched Prime horror category for "vs" and picked one. A rich entrepreneur who enjoys arranging big game hunts smuggles in a giant python, and no nobody's surprise it escapes into a water treatment facility before the hunt can begin. Meanwhile an FBI agent recruits a scientist specializing in dolphin bionic implants and a snake scientist who specializes in having bred/modified a giant boa, and the two join forces to put the implants in the boa and release it in the water facility. The government/scientist group and the hunting group both follow the two snakes, and manage not really have any impact on the fight, and die in stupid ways. It has decent production values, but is absurdly inaccurate, the side characters are beyond stupid/worthless, and the entrepreneur and his girlfriend/partner don't really have any motivation to be evil and are kinda bad just for the sake of being bad (and his girlfriend has a giant snake tattoo on her back but 'hates snakes'). A couple kinda alright snake fights, and there's definitely a lot of worse stuff out there, but this isn't very good.
:spooky: - 2/5

Goals - 13/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7)

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Yeah, her boyfriend gets yanked out of the car and she doesn't notice for a bit.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

17: Black Christmas Challenge 8: Happy Holidays - Kinda surprised I had never heard of this one, picked it semi-randomly for having Christmas in the name, and it was pretty great. A killer hides in a sorority house at the start of winter break, and the police/residents simply assume the victims have already left on vacation. Very tense, and filled with details seen in dozens of later movies - the friend who's always missing when the killer takes an action, showing the killer's actions in first person, keeping somebody on the line to complete a trace (this movie actually shows exactly why that was needed back then), "the call's coming from inside the house"). It's very tense tear the end, a very masterfully done movie, and glad to have watched it.
:spooky: - 4/5

Goals - 13/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8)

Lhet fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 26, 2019

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

17. The Lawnmower Man Challenge 9 - Hackers - I've known about this movie forever from the segments in the Mind's Eye, but have never watched it because I knew it probably wouldn't be that good. And turns out that was pretty much right. It's definitely memorable for the CG scenes (about half of them actually hold up somewhat decently), but everything else is just kinda all over the place. The characters are very weak, they are mostly one-dimensional, and everybody is constantly making very questionable decisions. I think it's an important film as being a very early heavy CG cyberspace film, but it isn't good.
:spooky: 2.5/5

18. Demon Knight Challenge 3 - Horror Noire - I had seen a few scenes with the Collector, so knew this would be pretty fun, and turns out it was! The story was told extremely well, there was a lot going on, but it was introduced bit by bit and paced very well. The monsters were great, the characters were all well written, and Billy Zane brought so much life to the movie as the Collector. Definitely a fun pick, recommended.

Rewatch #4 - Cabin in the Woods Challenge 13 - Maniac - I wasn't really sure what to do here, but Cabin is probably as close as I have to a guilty pleasure horror movie (even though it's not too guilty to enjoy). It's a great deconstruction of horror movie setups, the writing is fun, the characters all work extremely well, it escalates pretty hilariously.

Rewatch #5 One Cut of the Dead - Still good the second time, definitely notice a lot of new things the second time around. Noticing all the little pauses and oddities is the biggest thing, I really appreciate the care put into it all, especially things like the camerawork getting shaky after the fall. This is a great movie, and there's really not much like it.

19 New Movies - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8) 18: Lawnmower Man (SC9) 19: Demon Knight (SC3)
5 Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, The Cell, Cabin in the Woods (SC13), One Cut of the Dead

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I've long crushed my original goal of 13 movies, might actually watch 31 this year.

20. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie Challenge 12 - Cavalcade of Creepiness - A newspaper boy about to be cooked for a witch's dinner party stalls for time by telling stories from a storybook the witch gave him. Pretty stock stories, but done fairly decently. The first was a mummy story, featuring Steve Buscemi and Christian Slater. The second was about an evil cat who shows up at a rich man's mansion and causing everybody to die in accidents until he hires a hitman to (try to) finish it off. The third was about a man who makes a promise to a monster to keep quiet about seeing it kill almost exactly "the Woman of the Snow" from Kwaidan. The stories are pretty simple, not much creative writing, but there really aren't many flaws and it's easy to watch. The only real gripe I have is that there's a really strong cast and it's kinda a waste to put them in such standard stories, but maybe that's only because I've watch a lot of horror movies now that I'm able to have that gripe.

21. Children of the Corn - Challenge 11 - All Hail the King - The first half was pretty good, and shaping up to potentially be a pretty creepy movie, with a charismatic young child brainwashing a town's children and becoming a cult leader. If the supernatural ended at the prophetic drawings, it'd be pretty ok. Unfortunately, then the supernatural stuff takes over (and the oracle drawings are coompletely dropped). Corn can be a scary setting, but it's not scary as an antagonist, and when it starts attacking it's impossible to take the movie seriously. A lot tension in the climactic scene comes from...getting hoses to connect while there's apparently not much more than a storm outside. I think the turning point is when it was established that Burt can just shove aside and overpower the kids, after that there just wasn't any credible threat.
:spooky: 1.5/5

21 New Movies - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8) 18: Lawnmower Man (SC9) 19: Demon Knight (SC3) 20: Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (SC12) 21: Children of the Corn (SC11)
5 Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, The Cell, Cabin in the Woods (SC13), One Cut of the Dead

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

22 - Occult - Challenge 10 - Naval gazing - Saw a few reviews of this in the thread and had really liked Noroi, so decided to give it a watch. It starts slow, and the first third or so felt like a homeless documentary or something, following a homeless guy drifting from temp-job to temp-job, crash-spot to crash-spot. He seemed decent for a while until he got drunk and you see that he's not really a nice guy. Then the plot picks up and weird stuff starts getting caught on camera. The cameraman makes some questionable decisions in ignoring the man's plans as things continue, and mysteries unravel further. The effects were pretty minor, and a weird mix of practical effects and lots of weird overlay effects. The few moments it did lean into them were very powerful though. The ending was unexpectedly dark, very cheesy, and reminded me of some of the Hausu effects. The best part for me was the soundtrack, it's so raw and really reminds me a modular synth shows or something (also really reminded me of one of the background room tracks from silent hill 2 - https://youtu.be/NIIXTGAV3BI?t=7242 ). It's pretty good.

23 -Naani - Challenge 5 - Tourist Trap - Wasn't particularly looking to do this final challenge tonight, but noticed it on Prime and I've never seen an Indian horror movie. The movie is a bit long but should really be about 30 minutes shorter (I've summarized the flashback that happens from 1:19:15 to ~1:52 below, it completely breaks the mood of the rest of the movie and reaaally isn't worth watching).
The husband and wife who originally owned the house were happy but couldn't have a baby, turns out the husband is sterile. They visit a doctor and agree to use in vitro fertilization (w/ sperm donor). Wife doesn't want to go through with it and husband uses their marriage vow to force her. A baby girl, Naani, is born, but the husband doesn't see it as his child and shuns her. He even refuses to take her to the hospital when she gets a dangerously high fever, which turns out to be polio and she becomes wheelchair bound. 1:37:30 is a song if you want to see them all. They go to a party and bring Naani, but some coworkers call the family out as having used IVF, directly to Naani's face - "hey you know you're dad isn't actually your father right?". There's drama, the wife/husband go outside and talk. The next day is Naani's birthday, both parents prepare a very nice birthday feast and tell her to wait at home while they go shopping, and not to let anybody else in. (And jump back in at 1:52)

This movie is batshit crazy. Constantly using effects that look like they're from a 90s music video, lots of instant zooms in and out, random slomos, filters. It's just always doing something with the camera. The musical numbers felt out of place at times (I'm not too used to Indian cinema), but after a while they were less weird than all the other stuff going on. Really it kinda has Hausu energy, it just never lets up on the crazy poo poo happening in the background (though unlike Hausu the weirdest stuff doesn't have too much effect on the characters, not a high body count here). The plot's not that exciting, and it's definitely too long, but there's so much going on that it's semi-recommended (it it was just cut a bit more and the flashback eliminated it might be an actual recommendation).
:spooky: I don't even know /5

23 New Movies - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8) 18: Lawnmower Man (SC9) 19: Demon Knight (SC3) 20: Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (SC12) 21: Children of the Corn (SC11) 22: Occult (SC10) 23:Naani (SC5)

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Hit 30 (25 new, 5 rewatches). Just one more to go!

24 - The Autopsy of Jane Doe - This was really pretty good. The mystery really drew me in, unexplained things going on one after another, piecing together some mystery but not one that makes sense. It maintained a high tension and none of the scares really felt cheap. The one thing I didn't like was the final resolution: It seemed like the father had finally cracked the code, understood her, and taken the suffering from her, transferring the pain from one innocent to another, but then nothing happened? What was the point?.

25 - Repo! The Genetic Opera - Kinda surprised I hadn't seen this one earlier. It's definitely a memorable movie. It often feels like it's trying to be edgy, but its so different that its not a fault. It's not really my sort of movie, but I definitely can't hate it, it's knows exactly what it is and goes all in on whatever that is, and its the sort of thing that has a lot of rewatch value.
:spooky: it'd be like a 3/5, but it has a certain quality that's not really rateable.

25 New Movies - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8) 18: Lawnmower Man (SC9) 19: Demon Knight (SC3) 20: Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (SC12) 21: Children of the Corn (SC11) 22: Occult (SC10) 23:Naani (SC5) 24: The Autopsy of Jane Doe 25: Repo! The Genetic Opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Hit 31 movies tonight with Hausu! Will write more tomorrow but wanted to be sure to check in. Its amazing as always and I'm always noticing something new. Still an absolute favorite halloween movie.

25 New Movies - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8) 18: Lawnmower Man (SC9) 19: Demon Knight (SC3) 20: Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (SC12) 21: Children of the Corn (SC11) 22: Occult (SC10) 23:Naani (SC5) 24: The Autopsy of Jane Doe 25: Repo! The Genetic Opera
6 Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, The Cell, Cabin in the Woods (SC13), One Cut of the Dead, Hausu