Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Oh hell yes, I've been looking forward to this year's challenge even more than usual over the last few weeks. Gonna try and go for 31 movies with no repeats from last year, but anything beyond that is fair game.

And coincidentally, me and a friend of mine decided our next movie watching project will be what we've decided to call the Triple David marathon, going through the collective filmographies of Cronenberg, Lynch and Fincher in chronological order, which I'm sure will give me more than a few movies for this thread depending on how far get into that this month. To that end, we started right from the very beginning yesterday with Cronenberg's Stereo and Crimes of the Future.

Maybe it's because I went in expecting a curiosity piece more than anything else (which it still very much is mind you), but I actually came away liking Stereo quite a bit more than I expected to. Framed as an educational film with commentary over silent black and white footage, a group of eight test subjects are isolated away together as part of a collective experiment in telepathy. From there, we are shown the mental, physical and social ramifications of the experiments upon the test subjects. Even knowing that it was framed as it was at least partially to work around unwanted audio, the framing device ultimately ended up being the movie's greatest strength in my eyes, with the dry narration, silent footage, and sterile campus all serving to apply a cold, clinical lens to the human test subjects.

On the other hand, I'll be honest and say that I had a much harder time making heads or tails out of Crimes of the Future. The film is obstensibly the Adrian Tripod, director of a skin clinic, looking for his missing mentor after an cosmetic caused outbreak wipes out the adult female population. What follows, as best as I can describe, showcases his encounters with members of the remaining male population and their handling of the circumstances. The commentary over silent film technique is still in effect, existing as the main character's narration, alongside sporadic sound texturing which I found pretty jarring. Personally, I thought the specific framing device worked less successfully here than it did in Stereo, in large due to the less contained premise/setting, and the greater complexity in character and narrative. That being said, some of Cronenberg's later propensity towards body horror shows its roots here, particularly in his depiction of the disease, and in one character who simulates birth by growing and removing organs.

Movies Watched (2): Stereo, Crimes of the Future

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

graventy posted:

(PS Fran you should link the challenges in the OP so people can find'm easily.)

He did actually, just in the second post instead of the first. :eng101:

On that note:

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: The Best Month :siren:
Perfect Blue: A retired Japanese pop idol turned actress Mima grapples with a deranged stalker and her own sense of reality. I ended up liking this one a lot. The film regularly challenges the viewers own perception of what they're seeing, via mirroring of events between Mima's show and her reality, as well as through multiple character's psychosis, all playing nicely into the central theme of Mima's self doubt. Where it gets to it most unsettling and genuinely uncomfortable for me though was in its moments where Mima would push herself way beyond her comfort zone and deeply regret herself, all for the sake of proving herself and impressing the right people.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: Novelty company Soylent Shamrock unleashes a line of Halloween masks hiding a dark secret that is unearthed when a fleeing, delirious man is murdered in the hospital. I went into this one on the basis of it's cult following and unique direction within the franchise. And yeah, while it certainly isn't as good as the original or the 2018 sequel, I still enjoyed this one for what it was, and I really respected it's ambition in not only eschewing Michael Myers, but shifting genre entirely from slasher to sci-fi thriller. Comes with the added bonus of not being able to get that loving commercial jingle out of my head for the entire rest of the month.

Movies Watched (4): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge # 1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Challenges Completed: 1/1

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Event Horizon: Somehow managed to go into this one knowing very little beyond its base premise of intercepting a long derelict spaceship, and went in expecting something more creature-based (think Dead Space, comparisons to which ended up coming to mind more than a few times over my viewing). What I ended up getting instead though, as I'm sure the bulk of you know, ended up being a lot closer to a ghost ship story with a psychological bent. That being said, I ended up enjoying this quite a bit. Lawrence Fishburne has a commanding presence, as is to be expected, the set design nails the absolute hostility of the Event Horizon, and the conceit of the ship itself preying upon the crew's insecurities is generally well realized, particularly in Sam Neill's character arc.

Ernest Scared Stupid: Generally enjoyed what little I've seen of Ernest in the past, but never actually watched any of the movies in full until now. Went in primed for a fun, character-driven slapstick comedy in a similar vein to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure or UHF, and that's basically what I got, albeit younger skewing than either of those. That being said, it does have its moments of Goosebumps-level creepiness as well (not to mention a pile of straight up gore at one point :psyduck:), and in those moments, does a good job at letting the tension run its course, rather than feeling the need to stuff every moment with jokes. Surpringly intricate creature design too for the material (which immediately made sense after watching the Monster Madness video and learning that it was done by the Chiodo Brothers of Killer Klowns fame).

Also, Rimshot is one of the goodest boys ever put onto film.

The Invisible Man: This movie rules, and probably just beats out Bride of Frankenstein as my favourite of the Universal Monster movies I've seen. In a lot of ways, it almost feels like an inverse to the Frankenstein movies, being about a human who comes to embrace his newfound ability to become a monster, in opposition to Frankenstein's Monster who desperately wants to become human, with both being byproducts of scientific experimentation led astray. The effects still hold up remarkably well 86 years later, and Claude Rains is just fun as hell to watch/listen to the entire duration of the movie, selling his descent into calculated madness. On a related note, I couldn't help thinking while watching that Mark Hamill's Joker laugh had to be inspired by this movie, and was glad to be confirmed by a cursory search after the fact that that is absolutely the case.

Movies Watched (7): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge # 1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Event Horizon, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Invisible Man
Samhain Challenges Completed: 1/2

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 9, 2019

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

A quick one to keep myself from falling too far behind. Thankfully I've got the Canadian long weekend coming up, and in addition to whatever movies I watch on my own time, a friend of mine has taken it upon himself to spend a good portion of it running me through his hand picked Godzilla beginners course after I asked him for suggestions.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master: Between the fashion, hairstyles and music, this movie is so goddamn 80's it hurts. Anyway, I didn't like this one anywhere near as much as 1 or 3, but didn't dislike it either. There are some ideas I actually really like here, like Freddy using Kristen's/Alice's dream pulling abilities to his benefit, and Alice taking taking on her friends' strengths after death. The problem is, the new cast feels much more underdeveloped and one-dimensional than the cast in in 3 (Sheila especially, who I think has all of two scenes before her death sequence halfway through the movie), not helped by the the fact that the first half is seemingly more interested on resurrecting Freddy and killing off the surviving Dream Warriors than it is in giving significant development time to the new cast beyond Alice and Rick. That being said, Freddy is still a fun villain (and honestly not as Flanderized as I thought he'd be by this point), I like the way the film deals a bit more in dream logic than previous films did, and the last third in particular showcases some solid body horror.

Movies Watched (8): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge # 1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Event Horizon, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Invisible Man, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
Samhain Challenges Completed: 1/3

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

A couple of rewatches for while I was relaxing at home last night

10 Cloverfield Lane: In hindsight, I probably should have held off just one more movie to make this my tenth movie. Anyway, this movie rules, and manages to do so much with such a small number of moving pieces. As I think Red Letter Media pointed out in their video around the time of release, what makes John Goodman's performance as Howard work so well as a villain here, in addition to just how unhinged and unpredictable he is, is that he's a villain who is utterly convinced that he's the hero, and will stop at nothing to assert that over those around him. If I have one complaint, it's that I would have chosen to excise the last 5-10 minute action sequence completely, really only serving to distract from the ultra tense, self-contained character study that came before it.

The Thing (1982): It's Thing, I'm sure nobody here needs me to tell them that this is a horror masterpiece. What makes the titular thing work so well as a horror monster (in addition to the still excellent practical effects work) is the way in which it feels expertly designed and written to play into very real, human fears even moreso than fear of the creature itself, be they distrust, isolation or outbreak, all coming together to create something both completely alien and instantly relatable.

And then my friend and I went through the first half of his Godzilla beginner's selection today.

Godzilla (1954): This still totally holds up on a first watch 65 years later. Godzilla is a lot more subdued here than I'm sure he'll become in later entries, serving through much of the film as a dormant but lingering threat capable of mass devastation. This is of course in line with the film's allegory of nuclear war in the wake of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, compounded further by Dr. Serizawa's fear of seeing his research weaponized. The effects work what Godzilla is present still holds up too, thanks to a strong combination of suit and miniature design.

Godzilla vs. Biollante: Comparatively, this one is more of a straight up action monster movie spectacle, but a real fun one thanks to strong practical effects work on both monsters (plus Biollante's pre-monster and evolved forms), and the giant plant angle being both an interesting take on the giant monster formula, while also serving as a nice contrast to Godzilla's animalistic nature.

Up next tomorrow: Godzilla 2000 and Shin Godzilla

Movies Watched (12): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge # 1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Event Horizon, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Invisible Man, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Thing (1982), Godzilla (1954), Godzilla vs. Biollante
Samhain Challenges Completed: 1/3

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

A whole bunch o' write-ups to catch up on, mostly challenge completions and the rest of my friend's Godzilla crash course.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: Dead & Buried :siren:

RIP Julie Adams.

Creature From the Black Lagoon: Wouldn't put this quite on the level of the first two Frankensteins or Invisible Man, but still quite enjoyed it nonetheless. The story and characterization are more basic by design than the former films, and the ending felt pretty abrupt to me, but as everyone else has pointed out, it more than makes up for it through underwater cinematography and costume work that still looks phenomenal to this day. The environmental angle was also used well to lend a bit more humanity to the creature than your average monster movie.

Godzilla 2000: Definitely the most mindless monster movie spectacle of the Godzillas my friend showed me, but one hell of a fun one. Some super dated CGI to be sure, particularly on the alien spacecraft, but the suit and miniature work is still as strong as ever.

Shin Godzilla: After delving into a couple of the more spectacle focused outings, we capped off with the most recent live-action Toho outing. This one goes all-in on the nuclear allegory that the franchise was founded on, in this case serving as a criticism of the government handling of the Tōhoku earthquake and Fukushima nuclear disaster.The shift from citizen to bureaucratic level is an interesting shift in perspective, and the monster sequences, for as sparingly as they're used this time, are spectacular, with the Tokyo destruction scene being one of the most visually arresting I've seen in recent memory.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #3: Horror Noire :siren:

Overlord: Jovan Adepo stars as Private Edward Boyce in an alternate history World War II where one of the conceits is that the American army has already been desegregated, nor is it ever brought as an issue for that matter. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it on first blush. On one hand, it serves its purpose as a clear signifier of the alternate history that the film takes place in, as well as allowing more diverse casting than a traditional historical setting would allow, but there's also a very real argument to be made that by altering the history without acknowledging it, it downplays racial tensions of the time and the real world contributions of black soldiers during WWII, especially in the face of an enemy force as racially driven as the Nazis. I'd be interested in hearing somebody else's input on this.

Those split feelings aside, this movie is real good, thanks in no small part to Adepo's strong performance as Boyce, and one that works particularly well as a viewer proxy. Overlord leans into its pulp influences hard, and surprisingly, the monsters in the bunker conceit is used more service to the film's pulp action side than its horror one. One particularly grisly body horror segment aside, it's genuine horror is reserved more for it's less fantastical and more human portrayals of war and the Nazis, several of the sequences involving Wafner in the home getting to be genuinely unsettling. On that note, I was also surprised to see how small the scope of the setting was, the bulk of the action for much of the movie taking place in a single homestead.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4: Inktober :siren:

Krampus: Opted to link #17. Ornament to Christmas and watch some Christmas horror, in this case, Krampus. And as it turns out, malicious ornaments play into the film's big setpiece. Honestly, the biggest compliment I can pay this movie is how much fun it seems to be having. Like Trick 'r Treat before it, I get the distinct impression that the crew just had an absolute blast finding ways to corrupt the holiday trappings (albeit nowhere near as gruesomely as in Trick 'r Treat), and the enthusiasm really shines through in the production design, especially in the aforementioned setpiece. It's also less nihilistic than I had anticipated going in, showcasing a good deal of genuine warmth beneath the macabre imagery and subject matter.

Zombieland: Double Tap: Went out to the theatre to see The Lighthouse only to realize that I had misread the schedule and that it doesn't open in my area until next week, so I ended up seeing this instead. Anyway, this one was real fun, and I honestly don't have much more to say than that. Having not seen the original in a number of years, I went in expecting and hoping for just a fun revisit of the characters and setting in something new, and that's more or less what I got. I have my criticisms, much of the side cast is way more one-dimension than anything I recall from the first, and it uses maybe a few too many call-backs and meta jokes for those who want something a bit more original, but the core cast is still strong enough to make up for it.

Movies Watched (18): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge # 1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Event Horizon, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Invisible Man, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Thing (1982), Godzilla (1954), Godzilla vs. Biollante, Creature From the Black Lagoon (Challenge # 2), Godzilla 2000, Shin Godzilla, Overlord (Challenge # 3), Krampus (Challenge # 4), Zombieland: Double Tap

Samhain Challenges Completed: 4/5

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 19, 2019

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Question for the Monster Mash-Up challenge regarding Ghostbusters (or any other franchise relevant to the question): Would the distinct variety of ghost designs/abilities qualify them for the challenge, or would they fall under a single blanket designation as ghosts? And if the latter, are there any other monsters in Ghostbusters 2 that would qualify it?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

T3hRen3gade posted:

I think the bigger question is, have you really not ever seen Ghostbusters? :ghost:

Of course I have, multiple times. Just never watched 2 for whatever reason and was planning to rectify that this year. :ghost:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Alright, no prob, thanks for the clarification. :)

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Ghostbusters 2 can be used for the holiday challenge.

Noted, thanks for the tip! :tipshat:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Because I've always been morbidly curious and it's relevant to today's challenge, is there any value whatsoever to be gleaned from Uwe Boll's filmography, just from the sheer trainwreck factor, or is it too unwatchable even for that?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Joke's on you, I'm the one guy left who is still needing to blind watch One Cut of the Dead based on the thread's continual requests to do so.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

One last challenge ruling question: Having not seen it, would 1935's The Raven count for the Edgar Allen Poe challenge, given that the impression that I get is that it makes heavy reference to Poe's work moreso than adapting something specific?

Franchescanado posted:

By the way:

I love CineD and Halloween and Horror movies, and I love everyone in this thread. Halloween is awesome. :3:

And we all love you and the insane amount of work you put into this challenge year in and out. :drac:

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 26, 2019

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Another big ol' write-up dump, because I'm bad at doing write-ups.

Ghostwatch:This one rules. Not unlike The Blair Witch Project, this movie lives and breathes on it's feeling of authenticity, and a general sense of unease in the environment, both of which the movie absolutely nails. The live format is also used effectively to make it almost a sort of viewer challenge to decipher the genuine supernatural from the chaff, as well as the meaning behind it.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: Sometimes They Come Back :siren:

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan: Having watched a bunch of the better regarded Jason films in previous challenges, I wanted to see what the doldrums of the franchise looked like. And yeah, even ignoring the fact that less than half the film takes place in New York, the writing just feels stupider than the already pretty stupid predecessors, but I'd be lying if said that I didn't still have a ton of fun with it (except for the drugging/attempted rape scene. Didn't love that). If nothing else the rooftop decapitation punch is one of the best kills in the series so far, and the last 20 minutes at least begins to explore some of the comedic potential in having Jason do his whole schtick in a bustling cityscape.

Horror Noire: Still wanted to watch this despite not using it for the challenge, and I'm really glad I did. Does a great job in presenting the genre's problematic racial history in tandem with it's genuine strides for representation, all presented straight from the mouths of prominent contributors to the black horror industry. Also serves as a excellent showcase for black horror, more than a few of which are on my watchlist now.

Joker: In which the Joker struggles to live in a society. Joker owes basically its entire identity to standing in the shadow of its Scorsese influences, and some of the writing feels pretty on the nose, but it still comes together in large due to a strong performance from Joaquin Phoenix. The Joker as presented here feels completely unrecognizable from the conniving genius of previous depictions, this one instead opting to really play up the psychosis and mental instability of the character. To be honest, it feels so disparate to previous depictions of the character and world that I'm surprised that they decided to tie it in as heavily and directly to the Batman mythos as it does, whereas I feel like the movie is at its strongest when it gives itself room to explore a bit more beyond those trappings somewhat.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Hackers :siren:

House of the Dead: I'll say this, I don't regret watching this, nor was I bored by it. As Fran said earlier in the thread, it's honestly fascinating to watch the wrong decisions play out every step of the way. Bad acting, writing and production are all par for the course, but what really did it for me was the editing, between the jarring video game inserts/transitions, the overbearing club music, and one of the most utterly inept action sequences I've ever seen on film.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10: Navel Gazing :siren:

One Cut of the Dead: I loved this, and am totally echoing the thread recommendation to go in as blind as possible. Right from the onset, I was already down for what I thought was going to be the conceit of being a low-budget zombie movie filmed in one take with a filmmaking meta-text. Then I realized on the rooftop that we were reaching what seemed to be a climax only a half hour into the movie, and assumed from the reputation that had been built that something was about to change substantially. Then to my pleasant surprise, the credits roll, and the movie reveals itself as not a horror movie at all, but an incredibly fun, warm comedy that utterly celebrates and plays around with the art of filmmaking in fun and creative ways. High recommend

The Lighthouse: Echoing the positive reception towards this one. Pattinson and Dafoe play off of each other extremely well, with Dafoe in particular having more than a few instances where he utter commands the screen. The cinematography is gorgeous, and the choice to going black-and-white in 4:3 aspect ratio is used to great effect to emphasise the isolation and confinement that the lighthouse provides. The film also pulls off a wonderful balance in it's dreamlike presentation, where there's just enough of a sense of reality and internal logic to grasp onto, while consistently providing additional oddities to latch onto and leaving itself wildly open for interpretation.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays! :siren:

Ghostbusters II: Nowhere near as strong as the original, but still enjoyed it enough for what it was once it gets going. Definitely suffers early on though from an overreliance on clumsy exposition explain the state of the Ghostbusters between movies, as well as the ghosts in general just having a much lowered presence throughout than in the original.

Movies Watched (26): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge #1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Event Horizon, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Invisible Man, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Thing (1982), Godzilla (1954), Godzilla vs. Biollante, Creature From the Black Lagoon (Challenge #2), Godzilla 2000, Shin Godzilla, Overlord (Challenge #3), Krampus (Challenge #4), Zombieland: Double Tap, Ghostwatch, Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (Challenge #6), Horror Noire, Joker, House of the Dead (Challenge #9), One Cut of the Dead (Challenge # 10), The Lighthouse, Ghostbusters II (Challenge # 8)

Samhain Challenges Completed: 8/13

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

:woop: :spooky: CHALLENGE COMPLETE AND SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGES COMPLETE :spooky: :woop:

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Cavalcade of Creepiness :siren:

Tales From the Hood: This movie is the poo poo. This is straight up black Tales From the Crypt, and totally leans into that conceit and the racial allegory potential that it provides. This movie deals with some real heavy subject matter (the child/spousal abuse in the second segment in particular getting real hard to watch at points), but balances it out with the humour and catharsis that I've come to expect from the anthology genre. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the fun stop motion work in the third segment, as well as Clarence Williams III just chewing the scenery in the best possible way throughout all of the wraparound segments.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up :siren:

The Monster Squad: Was looking for something light and fun while I was resting off a cold the other night, and this fit the bill nicely. The inventive premise definitely isn't explored as richly as it could have been, with The Mummy and Gill-Man in particular getting the short end of the stick, but the core cast dynamic is still fun enough that I found myself enjoying it regardless.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11: All Hail The King :siren:

Re-Animator: For the most part, I really liked this one. At it's best, it basically feels like an exercise in contrast, creating a sharp dichotomy between its subtle and often downplayed humour and characterization, versus its over-the-top violence and gore effects. It manages to succeed not just at landing both ends of the spectrum in their own rights, but bringing both ends together into a perfect blend of pitch black comedy. Unfortunately, I also can't talk about this movie without addressing the enormous elephant in the room that is the infamous sexual assault scene, which honestly just feels super gross and mean spirited in a way that feels incongruous to the rest of the shock value that the film presents. I otherwise enjoyed the movie enough that it didn't ruin if for me or anything, but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth going into the climax, and is a scene that I see myself skipping on future rewatches, especially with how easily excised it is.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5: Tourist Trap :siren:

Train to Busan: In which my being an uncultured swine finally pays off. Anyway, this movie rules. Yeah, it's another zombie movie, but it sets itself apart through extremely strong characterization from the human cast, as well as through really committing to and fully utilizing the unique railway setting to create scenarios which haven't already been done to death within the genre.

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: Maniac :siren:

Final Destination 3: While I'd hesitate to call this a great movie by any stretch, it is one that I have a nostalgic attachment to by sheer virtue of it being one of my first real gateways into horror movies, by way channel surfing one night in early high school sometime about a year or two after it came out. (Full disclosure, I was born in '93 and imagine I'm a good deal younger than the vast majority of people here.) Watching it again in full for the first time since then, the invisible Rube Goldberg slasher conceit/pacing was still fun enough to keep me entertained throughout, and I was actually surprised to see the film handle the themes of grief and survivor's guilt better than I expected it to.

That being said, hoo boy did I somehow forget about that brief but incredibly tasteless 9/11 reference in the middle of it, just over four years after it happened no less. :stare:

Movies Watched (31): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge #1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Event Horizon, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Invisible Man, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Thing (1982), Godzilla (1954), Godzilla vs. Biollante, Creature From the Black Lagoon (Challenge #2), Godzilla 2000, Shin Godzilla, Overlord (Challenge #3), Krampus (Challenge #4), Zombieland: Double Tap, Ghostwatch, Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (Challenge #6), Horror Noire, Joker, House of the Dead (Challenge #9), One Cut of the Dead (Challenge # 10), The Lighthouse, Ghostbusters II (Challenge # 8), Tales From the Hood (Challenge # 12), The Monster Squad (Challenge # 7), Re-Animator (Challenge # 11), Train to Busan (Challenge # 5), Final Destination 3 (Challenge # 13)

Samhain Challenges Completed: 13/13

Anyway, that's the challenge for me! I'mma cap off Halloween with a rewatch of Alien and maybe starting up Luigi's Mansion 3 if I have enough time afterwards. Cheers again to Fran for continually running these challenges twice a year! :cheers:

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 1, 2019

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I will say, even having gotten to just 31 movies (not counting Alien last night and an unlogged MST3K episode before I realized that they didn't count this year) alongside starting a new job just beforehand, I'm certainly looking forward to getting some quality gaming time in over the next while.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the best communist horror movie? Wolf of Wall Street?

Jingle All the Way.