Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
1. Case 39 (Amazon Prime)

This is a pretty paint by the numbers child horror flick. It shows it’s hand pretty early on, and certainly anyone who posts here will see the plot coming from a mile away.

That said, it’s a fairly enjoyable and well made movie that is perfect viewing for someone who wants to get into horror but isn’t quite ready for FulciGreat performances as you would expect from Renée Zellwager, Bradley Cooper, and Ian McShane.

Someone smarter than me can probably make a pretty compelling case for this movie being an unofficial sequel to Rosemary’s Baby.

2. Mayhem (Netflix)

This movie is Meh incarnate. Steven Yeun is wonderful as the lead, though I would like to see him play a role where he isn’t covered in blood, and we can all get behind loving up uber-capitalist poo poo stains. Unfortunately, that’s about all the positive notes I have for this one.

It manages to be both over the top while also underwhelming and needs constant suspension of disbelief to move the plot forward. If you’re looking for a quasi-revenge flick packed with tons of violence, this is it. If you’re looking for a better than average movie, look elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I apologize if I missed it but is The Ruins streaming somewhere? I really want to watch it now.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
3. The Changeling (Shudder)

I found this one to be a mixed bag. As another reviewer mentioned, the mystery is better than the horror, especially considering how it starts. I will admit that a huge part of that is because the movie is nearly 40 years old and most of the spooky scenes have been replicated in other ghost movies since.

That said, this film is filled with beautiful shots (mostly of stairs) and George C. Scott is always a delight.

4. Knock Knock (Prime)

Not a ton to say about Knock Knock it delivers exactly what it wants to. Not a great movie but I enjoyed it more than Mayhem. The scene where Keanu’s wife calls right as he figures out that not only are these girls not leaving, but are now toying with him, might be the scariest/most panic inducing thing I view this whole October.

I felt like Keanu was kind of mailing it in during early scenes but by the end he’s loving killing it. The ending also, is a bit lacking but overall this is a pretty solid but unspectacular movie.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

My first rewatch so far, and it’s just as good as I remembered. Having not seen it in a decade at least, I had forgotten that almost nothing happens until the last half hour and yet the movie never drags. It’s grimy and gross and hilarious (The Cook poking his victim with the broom stick, the music while the hitchhiker is being all weird in the van) all at the same time. The first time I watched TCM the scene that really stuck with me is when Leatherface hits the dude over the head with the mallet and he just lay there twitching. While I still enjoyed that part the scene that got me this time was how quickly, brutally, and randomly Franklin is chopped to bits out of the (literal) blue. The only gripe I have is why the hell did the truck driver climb out of the truck at the end instead of driving away?

6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

This was a new one for me and woooo boy what a ride! There is so much to love here even though it’s nothing like it’s predecessor. Bill Moseley’s character is a welcome and insanely funny addition.

From the first scene you know poo poo is off the rails in the best way possible and movies like this are the reason I enjoy doing these challenges. I really enjoyed Leatherface’s characterization. It also features an even better chainsaw fight than Mandy!

If I have one complaint it’s that after viewing this I have to wonder if the “Pennywise runs towards the camera shaking his head” is an homage to “Leatherface holds the chainsaw over his head while doing an Elvis shimmy and groaning” because they played that card like a dozen times.

My understanding is that this is where the good movies in this series end but if any of the rest are worth trying, I’m down to give them a whirl.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Behind Maslow posted:

#9. Black Christmas (1974)

Black Christmas owns.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
7. House of 1000 Corpses

The first movie I have ever paid to watch during a challenge. First of all it seemed like a natural selection after watching TCM and TCM2 the previous two days. Also, I always loved this movie.

I will add that I used to watch it most often during a time in my life where I was taking DXM regularly and always felt the movie was written directly for people who were robotripping (for better or worse).

Ho1kC still owns. I probably didn’t love it as much as 15 years ago but I still found it highly enjoyable (and probably better on drugs). Although it is kind of a mess (especially at the end), it’s incredibly stylish, never boring, and pretty hilarious. I personally think it’s a drat impressive first offering from Mr. Zombie.

8. In The Tall Grass (Netflix)

Personally, the thought of being trapped in an endless maze like the tall grass is maybe the most horrifying thing I can imagine. That’s not even considering being chased around by a crazy person!

Patrick Wilson makes this whole movie worth it. There is a scene before we know Wilson is the antagonist where another character asks him how they know they can trust him (or something along those lines) and his simple facial expression lets the audience know that you absolutely can’t trust him and this question highly amuses him before explaining how they can trust him. He’s always a joy to watch but I found him especially good in this.

The premise of the movie is interesting enough but often muddled and without much payoff. It’s pretty good looking though and along with Wilson, I would say it’s worth a watch.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
9. The Ruins
Before I typed this one up I wanted to re-read Fran's review and see if what influenced me to watch this and my opinions of it lined up. They certainly do. Looking at the cast on an IMDB page in 2008 you might come away thinking this movie is going to be pretty weak and mostly made for teens a la I Know What You Did Last Summer. This is not even close to the case. The acting is top notch, the movie is brutal as hell, and there are at least 2 scenes of gore that made me wince.

The movie does not try to hide what the main threat is (killer kudzu), which had me wondering pretty early on how the hell they were going to be able to deliver on the premise and keep it interesting. The filmmakers played it perfectly. Rather than having this killer vine just physically assault people by strangling them, or pulling them into the brush, it takes a far more psychological approach. It slowly latches on to peoples wounds while they are sleeping to plant itself in their bodies, it uses its flowers which can mimic sound to either lure its victims or drive them nuts, and it basically only eats after its played its victims into killing themselves or one another.

I was a little disappointed that the ending stinger was of more people approaching the ruin, rather than showing the fallout of what happens when someone actually escapes and has the spores of the plant all over their clothes. Overall this is a choice watch and I'm glad I followed through on checking it out.

10. Midsommar
I honestly feel like I might not be intellectually equipped to really break this movie down. The first half hour as so emotionally authentic. A couple on the edge of break up and what both of them are discussing with friends, the one douche bag friend who talks poo poo about the girlfriend because all he cares about is having a single party bro back, and of course the scene and follow up to what drives the entire film. While I would have a tough time calling this movie scary, it was definitely super creepy and chilling at times. I got goosebumps every time they showed the sister including when they hid her, maybe especially when they hid her.

Once they get to Sweden, Midsommar might be the most aesthetically pleasing horror movie of all time. There are so many incredible stand alone shots (the overhead shot of the group walking into the woods where the camera turns as they turn, the loop de loop as the car drives in to the commune) and so many gorgeous bright settings. The commune itself would seem to mirror whats actually going on in the movie, where everything is beautiful on a surface level but dark and sinister underneath (depending on your point of view). On the other hand, I can remember thinking that the scene of the 72 year olds leaping from the cliff was incredible beautiful, which is actually the exact thought process of the members of the commune although for different reasons.

I would have been interested to see what the community does with an outsider who isn't a shithead (besides the May Queen) because everyone they ended up killing pretty much deserved it. If Josh doesn't take pictures of the holy scripture do they still just kill him when its time?

To be totally honest, I don't even know how much I liked the movie, and I doubt I would ever re-watch it on my own accord (mostly due to the run time). But, Ari Aster is a master of his craft and the fact I'm still mentally dissecting this movie days later suggests that its is a must watch at least once type of film.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
11. Unsullied Super Samhain Challenge 3

Unsullied is written, directed, and produced by former Tampa Bay Buccaneers All Pro Simeon Rice. I wanted to use this movie for a couple of challenges last year (local and first time director) but never got around to watching it.

I became aware of this movie when Rice was doing promotion on the local radio station I listen to on the drive in to work. He stated that his goal was to gross $1 million dollars which the radio host scoffed at and said he would accomplish with ease. It earned about half that at $510k.

Since this movie is probably unknown to most, a brief plot synopsis is that a young black woman’s car breaks down in the woods and she is then pursued by 2 rural white men (also lends itself to the Samhain Challenge) who hunt and eat women.

Unsullied is pretty universally panned on all the usual sites, so I did not have high hopes going in. After the first 10 minutes I thought I might be in for a surprise! The cinematographer actually does a solid job early on providing well lit interesting and vibrant shots. This must have used most of the budget however, because after that everything falls apart.

It’s impossible to tell if the acting is bad because the script is very much so and I’m sure it’s tough to deliver such stilted lines. The lightning in the later parts of the movie are so poor you can hardly make out anything going on and the entire movie is entirely too quiet and often has a random echo. The antagonists, who are supposed to be avid hunters who live in the Florida wilderness, look like they were both brought in fresh from the GQ model assembly line and can only be recognized as rural by their camouflage hats with the word “HUNTER” embroidered on them.

Some highlights include: while running from the bad guys, our leading lady somehow is able to start a fire in the woods despite having no tools to start a fire. And then also stealthily puts it out despite having no way to do so. Additionally, during the kidnapping scene, our heroine is asked if she has a boyfriend and when she says no, they pronounce that’s “what they wanted to hear” and proceed to kidnap her. So if she had a boyfriend it wouldn’t matter that she’s already trapped in your truck? You would have let her go because she isn’t single?

I could go on and on about how bad this is but instead I will list the things I actually enjoyed about it: it’s shot locally here in Florida so the woodland scenes are a lot more diverse and colorful than most that are shot in Georgia. Also, the city scenes are shot in my hometown so I recognize a lot of the locale.

Sadly I can’t even say there are the makings of a good movie here. Unfortunately, Unsullied is a ton of half baked ideas put to film by a ill equipped director who is in over his head. Fortunately for Simeon Rice he will probably get in to the Pro Football Hall of Fame someday, because I don’t think he will be making any more movies.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Basebf555 posted:

You hear a lot about the best werewolf transformation scenes, but Hellraiser has a "reconstitution" scene that can't really be described, it has to be seen.

I knew absolutely nothing about he original Hellraiser going in (the only one I had ever seen is Inferno), and that is the scene, so early on, that let me know I was in for a magical ride.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The October thread owns because now I know that Simeon Rice directed a horror movie :psyduck:

:yeah:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
12. Body Bags

A horror anthology that is probably the closest to the original Creepshow that I’ve found to date. It has the same blend of humor, horror and wonderfully cheesy aesthetic. Any time I get to see Mark Hamill act in something that isn’t Star Wars or animated is a blessing. The segment he stars in is probably the worst of the three but I still had a blast. The goofy wrap around featuring John Carpenter is also a hoot.

13. The Haunting in Connecticut

It is unbelievable to me that this not only got a theatrical release but that it actually made money. Everything about it is Made For TV quality. All attempts at being spooky were cliché and poorly done. The effects and spooks in The Changeling were significantly more effective despite being 30 years older.

This is bad in a way that isn’t even remotely fun like Unsullied. I can honestly say this is a bottom 3 movie I’ve ever watched during a challenge.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
14. Lords of Salem

This completes all the non-animated Rob Zombie movies for me. I do need to watch Halloween 2 again, but I've seen it within the last 15 years so it does not fit the parameters of my challenge.

I really really enjoyed this. I can totally see where the poster was coming from, who said this movie seemed like a maturation of Zombie's film making (nary a chainsaw nor stabbing!) before going back to the well for 31 and 3 From Hell. Sherri Moon Zombie gives what was at the time her best performance (I thought she was great in 3 From Hell even though I enjoyed the movie less) and I thought the storytelling was tight from beginning to end. Makes an interesting Double Feature with Suspiria even if they don't seen like natural mates.

15. Suspiria (1977) Samhain Super Challenge 4

This was my 3rd Argento film along with Deep Red and Phenomena. I would slot this one right in the middle with it being not nearly as good as Deep Red (imo, of course) and probably tied with Phenomena if not for the legendary use of color which in some spots was more interesting than the plot, and incredibly dream like setting at times. I enjoyed the yellow bathroom but missed screaming Nic Cage. The last 10 minutes were my favorite and really left me on a high note when it was over. I'm interested to check out the remake since I did think the Ballet School barely played a role and I'm interested to see if they expand on that since its nearly an hour longer.

16. Marrowbone

This is an incredibly slow burn but with a solid payoff at the end. Feels like a first cousin of The Others and they would probably make a nice double feature together. I do have to say it was incredibly light on the spooks. While I understand they were trying to play it somewhat close to the vest to support the "twist", I wish they would have tried a little harder to add some extra scary moments because the few they did try were pretty effective.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t particularly love giallo but I would recommend Heart + Knife to others who aren’t thrilled with them. It’s been my favorite thus far.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
17. Eli

This was just released on Netflix yesterday. From the makers of House on Haunted Hill, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Eli is the tale of a boy who mysteriously becomes “allergic” to the world (a bubble boy essentially) and his parents attempt to get him treatment and save him.

For the first 80 minutes of its 100 minute run time I was prepared to say that this movie was very well made but as cliché as a ghost/haunted house movie can be. The last 20 minutes take it somewhere I was not expecting at all and I loved it. Other might not like it but I personally did not see the end coming at all and that scores big points with me even if the rest of the movie was mostly mediocre. This is a solid watch and I’m interested to see what others think of it.

18. Spider Baby Super Samhain Challenge 2

RIP Sid Haig. I could have used House of 1k Corpses since I didn’t review it until after the challenge was posted but I did watch it before so it didn’t feel right. I also watched Lords of Salem after but I had to freaking google where he was in the movie after it was over so that didn’t feel right either.

And I’m glad, because this movie is completely my poo poo. It starts with kind of an animated goofy song in the beginning and immediately follows that up with a poor messenger being caught in “the spiders web”. It never slows down and is just balls to the wall strange and silly and I couldn’t have asked for more. Spider Baby is a great flick.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
19. Killer Klowns from Outer Space

I am saying this only very partially tongue in cheek: This is a cinematic masterpiece. KKfOS along with Tobe Hooper's Invaders from Mars are probably the two movies most responsible for my early love of everything horror. Killer Klowns knows EXACTLY what it is, makes no apologies for it, and in fact revels in it and I love every second. The only complaint I would have is that the clown costumes could be better quality, but only because everything else is designed so well!

20. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

So this is embarrassing to admit, but I had never seen this before. It was easily the biggest gap in my viewing history, however I feel like I have a valid reason! I was loving terrified of Freddy as a kid. The local radio station would play the 1-2 Freddys coming for you song at night during late October and I would have to shut the radio off and hide under my blankets (as if thats gonna help against the dream monster).

Having seen it now, I feel vindicated. I was absolutely right to be scared of this movie. Freddy is a terrifying monster and the fact he can hunt you in your dreams is harrowing especially for a kid. As for the movie itself, it has maybe the best use of sound to build tension that I've ever experienced. The practical effects are amazing, especially Glen and Amanda's deaths. The bathtub scene is an all timer not just for the glove out of the water, but also when he pulls Nancy into the Sunken Place.

At first I thought the ending was going to be a huge let down, but then the convertible top closed. I can not wait to dive into parts 2 and 3.

21. The Exorcist III Super Samhain Challenge 6

This is obviously a horror thread favorite, and for very good reason. George C. Scott and Brad Dourif make this movie their bitch. The first half belongs to Scott, as he investigates strange murders. The second half though, is completely owned by Brad Dourif the monologue god. I could watch a full 2 hour film of Pazuzu possessed Brad Dourif ranting at a pissed off George C. Scott.

One thing I loved about The Exorcist III, that I'm sure has been mentioned but I overlooked, is how drat FUNNY it is at first. Scott's story about his mother in law keeping a fresh carp in the bathtub for 3 days had me grinning ear to ear.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Does Night of the Comet actually count for the challenge even though it’s only barely Christmas related?

I’m glad to have watched it either way, just wondering.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
22. Bones

I came into this movie with fairly high expectations actually, based on a lot of reviews from the last 2 challenges. Also, just by cast and crew it should be right up my alley.

I was a little worried during the first act. About the only thing I got out of it was that 50+ year old Pam Grier was still bringing her fastball and one decent creepy rear end dream.

From the moment that Snoop Bones is betrayed, until the very end, gave me exactly what I was looking for. There were incredibly cool visuals and practical effects, equally as poor effects in some spots but in the best way possible. From that point in the movie forward it’s pretty much non stop cool poo poo happening even if most of the actors weren’t the best and the story was mediocre.

The last 45-60 minutes were everything anyone watching a horror movie lead by Snoop could want.

23. Godzilla: King of the Monsters Super Samhain Challenge 7

What a great cast for a Godzilla movie! At least 8 actors you can easily name and then an extra 6 “hey it’s that guy!”s. This would obviously seem like a good thing for most movies, but for a Giant Monster movie, only 2 roles matter.

The monster and whatever it’s fighting.

When King of the Monsters focuses on that, it’s excellent. The CGI Monsters all look and sound phenomenal. There was one scene with Ghidorah vaporizing a crowd of soldiers that really helped show why these movies can be counted for the challenge.

Sadly, it’s most overwrought human drama. It gives way too much credence to its over-casted side roles (Bradley Whitford’s character for example is completely unnecessary and every one of his lines could have been used on more monster time. I really like Bradley Whitford!) and seems to really have no idea why it’s audience came to watch.

Overall I’m glad I watched it because Godzilla loving rules and in the end that’s all that matters, but drat, how are they still screwing this dynamic up? I would watch these movies in another language with no subtitles if the monster to person ratio is right.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
24. Videodrome Super Samhain Challenge 1

I believe this is my first full feature Cronenberg. I've seen parts of The Fly and I think Scanners but never a full feature length movie. Videodrome certainly lived up to his reputation.

Beginning to end top notch body horror. Some wonderful visual effects when James Woods is having his hallucinations. Speaking of James Woods, I really got a kick out of the fact that if anyone would start a project like Videodrome today, it would be Woods and like minded individuals. "Society and Media have made these millennials too weak! We must use mind control and torture to make them tough!".

Anyways, Long Live the New Flesh.

25. Viy Super Samhain Challenge 5

What a treat this was. The english dub somehow only enhanced the film and only seemed to add to the overall feel of the movie. This is not something I probably would have ever picked to watch on my own so the challenges are doing their job.

For the entire length of the movie our protagonist never stops getting dunked on and he deserves every second of it. If I have one complaint its that as incredible as the climax is, I wish that we would have gotten a few more hints of it distributed through out the movie. A spooky goblin person here and there never hurt anybody (that was watching them in a movie).

26. Night of the Comet Super Samhain Challenge 8

I've been looking forward to watching this movie for a few challenges now but somehow never found its way into my lists. I'm glad I finally found a reason to force myself to watch it.

I went in prepared for a badass 80s zombie movie. I was surprised to find out that this is only as much a zombie movie as it is a Christmas movie, which is to say, on the fringe. This is really more of a female empowerment in the face of the apocalypse movie, and let me tell you there are not enough of those.

Two bad rear end sisters and Hector kicking zombie scientist rear end and taking names! Great use of a callback at the very end of the arcade machine initials. That was a shoe I kept waiting to drop and never did until I had completely forgotten about it.

A common thread in all 3 of these movies is that I found them all incredibly humorous (even if Videodrome isn't supposed to be).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Within the last 60 replies 2 movies I just watched were used for two different challenges than I used them for and the reviews were nearly the exact opposite of mine. October Challenge Thread is great.

27. Silent Hill Super Samhain Challenge 13

When I think "guilty pleasure" I think something that is universally regarded as mediocre or bad, but that you really enjoy. I think Silent Hill is mostly regarded as more mediocre than bad but it still feels like a guilty pleasure.

Re-watching this knowing there is a fan edit that removes Sean Bean's scenes, made me really notice exactly how pointless they were. His story brings absolutely nothing to this movie other than maybe introducing Officer Gucci (lol). It is also incredibly obvious when the film replicates a scene from the video games, and I say that having barely played Silent Hill 2 for like an hour and thats it for the series (my failing, not the games).

This movie still has an incredible atmosphere within purgatory Silent Hill, however a lot of the creepy rear end imagery I used to love haven't stood the test of time, mostly due to being aped by other flicks in the 13 years since. The scene with the nurses for example is best summed up by my wife who used to be terrified of Silent Hill "This used to be really scary, now its just dumb." The nurses look like they are doing some weird dance instead of moving in a scary hurky jurky manner.

All that aside, the air horn alert that Hell is coming followed by the darkness are still incredibly effective. Where my opinion differs from the other poster who just reviewed this, is that my favorite part is the last act once the movie lets us in on the back story (this should be done by flash backs taking up the Sean Bean scenes instead of a giant exposition dump) and I felt it really hit its stride. Alessa being let into the church and ripping all the townsfolk apart with barbed wire was the highlight of the whole deal for me.

Tl;dr: I don't love it as much as I used to, but I still like it and was never bored. I wish the sequel wasn't the worst poo poo ever put to film.

28. Pet Sematary (2019) Super Samhain Challenge 11

I come into this completely blind except for knowing the general plot beats. I've never seen the original movie, I've never read the novel.

I dug it. Solid performances from Lithgow and Jason Clarke. It looks great and the scenes in the woods with the wendigo noises are creepy as hell. At one point I thought to myself "this ending will only be satisfying if everyone dies" and in a way that's exactly what we got. I don't know how I feel about zombie family, as it raises a ton of questions, but its better than the dad getting away with his stupid bullshit.

I will have to check out the original sometime, since most seem to think its the better movie.

29. The Ritual Super Samhain Challenge 10

Recommended by Basebf555

Of the two folk horror movies that revolve around strange rural Swedish religious ceremony that I've watched this challenge, I prefer this one. The Ritual starts with action right off the bat and pretty much never lets up. Its tightly paced and has a strange way of making a never ending forest seem incredibly claustrophobic. When watching the trailer I kept hoping they wouldn't give too much away and by god they certainly didn't.

The monster design is completely original, bad rear end, and unlike anything I've ever seen in a movie before (though similar to what google shows when i checked my spelling of wendigo). This is a really good movie, thank you for the recommendation Basebf555.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Baseball man, if you want to recommend me another movie the only thing I’m missing to fill out a complete Bingo card is a found footage movie.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Thank you. I’ve seen As Above, So Below. I will definitely check out one of the other two though.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
30. Predator

I’m sure this isn’t going to be news to most of you, but drat what a good movie! Non-stop action front to back.

Within the first 5 minutes I discovered a meme reference (Arnie and Carl Weathers bro shaking with giant biceps)! The side characters all got some good lines with Bill Duke threatening Carl Weathers multiple times and Poncho trying to get Billy to laugh with bad pussy jokes, finally succeeding.

I never realized young Arnold was such a hunk (and a final girl). The entire movie is pretty awesome but the highlight is the predator removing all his gear to go one on one with what he realizes is the alpha to end all alphas culminating in Arnold winning and the Predator mimicking Billy’s laugh (from the bad pussy joke) before self destructing.

So loving cool.

31. House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Vincent Price doing his absolute best impression of Bill Hader doing a Vincent Price impression.

Seriously though Price steals the show as always. I was pretty unimpressed to start but by the time it ended I really appreciate how long they kept it ambiguous if there was really even anything super natural going on. And then the twist. And then the twist on the twist. And then the twist on the twist’s twist!

A fun ride that even has a decent jump scare for a 60 year old film.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
32. Trollhunter

Another Basebf555 joint. Another good one too.

I don’t really feel any type of way about found footage but for those who don’t like it, you might still enjoy this. More than half of it looks like it was shot in UHD and is crystal clear and beautiful. There are some shaky cam in the dark moments but they’re pretty few and far between.

I loved the Trollhunter himself and his general attitude towards everything. The trolls all looked awesome and were pretty impressive CGI.

My only complaint would be that it’s a little long for what it is, but I understand they wanted to show off lore trolls.

33. Pulse (2006) Super Samhain Challenge 9

I know this isn’t the one I’m supposed to watch but we are running out of time and if Kristen Bell is in it, my wife will watch it.

Too bad it sucks. Good cast and even was written by Wes Craven? But it’s very bad. You don’t have any clue what’s going on until the movie has been on for an hour, and once you find out your first thought is “wow, that’s stupid”.

It’s also so 2006 it hurts. It then makes you realize how long ago 2006 was and that also hurts.

The only good thing about Pulse (2006) is that Brad Dourif got a pay day.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Xenomrph posted:

I'll get caught up on reviews probably tomorrow after work, but here's a bingo card I made for myself for Spooky Movie Month:

I want you to know that I watched 2 extra movies I probably wouldnt have so that I could fill out a complete card.

The House on Haunted Hill (50s movie) and Trollhunter (Found Footage)

I also surpassed my goal of 31 total movies and all that remains for me is to finish the Samhain challenges. I have not completed #12 but I have the perfect movie lined up for tonight after trick or treating with the kids.

edit - This is a great snipe and I aint even mad.

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 31, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
34. Trick ‘r Treat Super Samhain Challenge 12

The perfect Halloween night post Trick Or Treating movie.

For the first two stories I wasn’t sure this was going to land for me. Despite the adult content, something about it felt very “Are You Afraid of the Dark?”. Which is a show I love but not what I was in the mood for.

The last two completely won me over though. I was not at all prepared for the werewolves and it might have featured my new favorite transition scene when the older sister just starts ripping her skin off.

The last story highlighted the biggest problem with the movie which is simply that it needs more Sam. I know he’s present here and there but I preferred when he was the focus. Sam rules. The movie also does a nice job pulling everything together at the end.

And that’s it! :siren: :siren: :siren: It took me 3 years but I finally finished all the movies and the write ups!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Here is my final breakdown. I don’t like giving movies a numerical score but I thought I could break it down into tiers.

Great:
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Exorcist III
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Really Good:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Lords of Salem
Trollhunter
The Ritual
Predator
Spider Baby

Good:
Pet Sematary (2019)
Viy
Night of the Comet
House on Haunted Hill
Silent Hill
Trick R Treat
Videodrome
Bones
The Ruins
House of 1000 Corpses
Midsommar
The Changeling

It was Alright:
Godzilla King of Monsters
Knock Knock
Case 39
Eli
Suspiria (1979)
Marrowbone
Mayhem
The Tall Grass
Body Bags

So Bad It’s Funny:
Unsullied

Never Watch This Crap:
Pulse (2006)
The Haunting of Connecticut

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
4 hour delay double post

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My schedule was to watch 1 movie per day on the days I got off work early, 2 on my days off and then none when I work nights.

This allowed me to always be slightly ahead since I have 2 days off and only work 1.5 nights per week (Mondays and every other Friday).

Also I try to avoid anything longer than 90 minutes unless I’m certain I’m going to love it.